Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 09:37 AM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#381

God Bless America!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

We chat on Wednesday and Saturday at 8:30 EST, 7:30 CST.

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 340/240/155

Height: 5'3"

Angry Thursday......Thankful Thursday

Hi Friends
Sorry to be gone for a few days, but I've been in a workshop for "High Risk Kids", and today is the last day. This is really interesting stuff about why kids do what they do and how to help. Most of the people at the workshop are there because they have to (social , medical, judicial, and cultural services) but I am there because I want to.
For my Thankful Thursday,
  • I am Thankful for my children who are so fabulous
  • I am Thankful for the Love of my life who inspires me.
  • I am Thankful for you, my friends here who help me, in many ways you don't know about.
  • I am Thankful for that wonderful rain we got last night.
  • I am thankful that I have not gained back the little amount of weight I have lost.
  • I Thankful that GOD gave me another day to do what I need to do.

Last edited by joe anne; 07-31-2003 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:33 AM   #3  

Good Thursday all!

Joe Anne: you have such a wonderful spirit, so graceful, and so positive, I loved what you said, "I too am thankful God gave me another day to do what I need to do", that is wonderful!!! I am so proud of you, keep up the great work, look forward to your posts as always.....

To all of you...thanks for all the support and your comments about
me and my partner Jane, I am more grateful than you will ever know!! Thanks Andria for the personal message (I replied in kind, by the way)! I look forward to talking with you again, anytime girlfriend!!!

Tina, I am so impressed by what you said to your son Trey, no one could have said it any better, he is so fortunate to have you as his mother, I know that together you will do well, I read your post to Jane, she has a co-worker that has a granddaughter who is 9 and they now of custody of her (her mother comitted suicide a few months ago, it was horrific, the children were in the house, so very sad!) She is seeing a counselor, they are as a family, but Pam (the co-worker) has noticed that she is starting to eat more and more, the child told her "I eat when I get upsety", the way you handled the situation with Trey is admirable so I gave her your example about the car, hope you dont mind that I shared that...I think it could help her understand better. She has had such a hard time, she is also separated from her little sister (belonged to another man, and his family got custody), I dont know how they are doing it, but they are all hanging in there....I have another friend that just had the gastric bypass surgery a few wks ago (She weighed over 400, and she has already in just abt 3 wks lost over 25 lbs)!!, anyway her son is just 3 yrs old and weighs over 70lbs, he eats all the time, she is trying to change that, but her husband undoes everything she trys to do, he stays home everyday, and comes from a very impoverished background, lots of family issues, nonetheless the child is going to have a terrible time when he starts to school, and these days Dept of Human Resources can take your children if they are "too overweight" he is already considered morbidly obese for his age!!
thanks bunches for that post, I wish you and your son well! you can do it!!

All the rest of you gals, I will catch up with you tonight, going to go walking with 2 of the girls I work with after I get off at 8p, then will be back to ck in with all of you around 9ish, have a great day...stay
Old 07-31-2003, 11:56 AM   #4  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! Having a tough time this morning getting 'with it'. I have 4 reports to do and just don't feel like it. I've been sitting here in this desk chair for several hours. I have fast forwarded through 3 days worth of All My Children. I guess that's accomplishing something, eh???

To the girls of chat last night: Sorry I had to leave. We started watching The Family last March when it was on and I was disappointed when it disappeared. Last night they recapped the first 3 episodes into a 2 hour program and now we're back where we left off. Hopefully this time they'll finish the dang show off and someone will win the million $$$$$.

Homebound: WOW, it sounds like you had quite a day yesterday. I hope by now you've at least heard from your son. How old is he??? Kid troubles are the worst. You can't live with 'em and you just can't shoot 'em. (didn't someone just say that about husbands too??? ) I hope today looks up for you.

Pam: Hope you're having a good day at work. Don't work too hard!

Sandy: Good to see you in chat. Sorry I couldn't stay long.

Andria: I hope your news is good today. I think Kat was right. You just have to live in the here and now. Otherwise, you'll go nutts. HUGE [[[HUGS]]] to you, honey. Keep your chin up. * I can't wait to hear your results come Monday morning. I hope this new plan of yours is working for you.

Kat: Your dinner out sounds wonderful. I bet it's lovely to live so near the ocean. I love our lakes here, not that I get near them often, but the ocean has just got to be incredible!

Mary: Sorry I missed you in chat. Had to run pretty quick last night. * Enjoy your trip. Are you staying someplace romantic this time???

I started out the morning soooo hungry. Don't know what my problem was. I had a single serving of mostaccolli in the fridge so I heated that up at about 9:30 this morning and had a bowl of frozen yogurt. Real nutritious!

I guess I'll try and get some work done. It doesn't pay for me to have a day off, I don't get anything done. I just want to go back to bed.

"Every path hath a puddle."

Last edited by thinthinker; 07-31-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:41 PM   #5  

I HAVE SURVIVED!

Man, not even 1:30 yet, and it's already been a long day. I'm just glad to be home and in my shorts and T shirt after being in court all morning!

Anyhoo, here is what went down:

I get to have a nice conversation of sorts with the DA that has Brian's case, as well as see for the first time the guy he got into the fight with on Friday night. Anyway, I'm telling the DA about what led up to all of this and Brian's eerie "calmness" at taking the news when I decided things were not going to work out. (A counselor from the domestic violence shelter was also with me this morning too). Anyway, before the hearing, the DA disappears with Brian's attorney and goes back to apparently talk to the judge (I'm only guessing). Meanwhile, Momma's Boy is giving me his puppy dog "get me outta this" look and the poor guy he beat on is on crutches.( Yeah, I'm going to get him out of it all right. Right out of Dodge.)

To make a long story short, after the judge reads Brian the riot act, she gives him one year probation with the following stipulations:

1. He has 48 hours to leave Pennsylvania

2. He cannot enter the state of Pennsylvania the entire probabtionary period unless it is employment related.

3. He must report to a probation officer in California at least once a month

4. He must attend anger management classes for six months.

5. He must pay the emergency room bill of the guy he beat up, plus court costs.

6. 500 hours of community service at a domestic violence program.

7. NA and AA meetings during the entire probationary period.

Needless to say, the judge was pretty PO'ed at him.

All this, because I was on my TOM and he wanted to have sex. Geez. Imagine if I'd married this guy! Thank goodness I recognized the signs when I did.

Remember, ladies, take it from one who KNOWS: NO ONE is worth you putting up with any kind of abuse. We are already working on getting healthy in our weight loss journey, why go backwards and put ourselves in another unhealthy situation?

Tina: I had to mention this--but when I saw that pic of Trey, I just wanted to jump through my monitor and give him a big ol' hug! What a cutie!
Old 07-31-2003, 02:51 PM   #6  
a work in progress...

hmmm...that's quite a saga there.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:58 PM   #7  
Michigan Old-Timer

OMG Lori: What an ordeal! [[[HUGS]]] You said he hit some guy, I didn't realize he had done all THAT damage. On crutches, YIKES!

Sounds like the judge was going to nip this guy before his anger gets out of hand, which it already has. That's a pretty stiff sentence. Sounds to me like she doesn't want any part of him being a Pennsylvania resident. I hope you don't have any reprocussions from the twit in the next 48 hours while he's packing his bags.

I'm so glad you found out NOW. I hope also that Brian will take this as a wake up call, take the sentence and use it to the best of his ability to clean up his act. He's far too young to go through life with that type of anger. If he doesn't get help now, he'll be one you hear about that's dead in a bar-room brawl one day. So sad.

Hope the rest of your day is much better.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:36 PM   #8  

Hi ladies!! I am still just lurking about. I usually read the thread every day or two. I just haven't posted cuz I don't feel like I have anything to contribute. I've been kind of bummed cuz my husband is in Baghdad, and the Army said they'd be home for Christmas. Well, thanks to the new rotation schedule, he'll be gone for a YEAR!! I'm soooo not happy.
Well, that being said, he surely won't recognize me when he comes back.
I haven't posted anything about my weight loss because, well, maybe this is silly but I feel guilty about it. You guys are all working so hard, and while the time will come where I have to work at it again, I am still in the "honeymoon" phase that happens right after surgery and the weight is just falling off. I still have to choose the right foods and not graze on snacks all day, but that is soooo much easier to do now. As my little pouch heals and grows, I will have to work harder at it, but for now I'm not even hungry.
My congrats to all of you who are working it off and succeeding!!
I'm not much good at individual replies, but I just have to say to Lori: HOLY !!! What an ordeal!!!
Hello to Thin, 2Cute, Tina, Kat, PJ, Jo Anne, and everybody else.
I'll be lurking around .
Talk to you later,
Jen
Old 07-31-2003, 04:23 PM   #9  
Walking by faith

Angry Hi Everyone!

Things ARE looking up around here. My DS is still MIA, but I have a good idea where he is. He's 17, which is legal age in GA, so we can't report him as a runaway. But we can file an "attempt to locate" with the local police, and they'll keep an eye out. We have that option-but I think he'll be back by tomorrow (he gets his last paycheck from his job!)

My DH may have another job already! He was called for an interview last night, and he has to go back for some testing Monday, but it looks good As for me, I'm trying to keep my chin up and stay OP. I still need to weigh myself-I'll probably wait 'til tomorrow am.

Andria: I hope you get good news from your Ob/Gyn. Please let us know how things went

Kat: Sounds like you and your DH had a wonderful time on your anniversary.

Lori: I'm glad Brian will be out of town and out of your life shortly; and I'm glad you found out the truth before he settled in there.

Thin: I hope your day is going better. Frozen yogurt for breakfast-I've had days like that!

Jen: I'm glad your WLS went well. Sounds like you're making great progress. It must be hard without your DH there-but think of the nice surprise he'll have!

Joe Ann: You mentioned the "little bit" you lost-you're doing great!

Pam: Enjoy your walk tonite-hope the weather's nice.

Have a great day!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:59 PM   #10  

Hi ladies.
It's just taken be 45 minutes to read through all the posts. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading a novel. All of your lives are so interesting.
The only thing I can say is that I ate like crap today. I totally made all the wrong choices. But at least I managed to get a workout. It looks like as of now I'm not going to be losing anything this week. Oh, well. Better than gaining I guess. Tomorrow night is DB (Tom) and my "special" night out. We do something special every 1st of the month. So I've elected to take him to our favorite blues club. We've been together for over 5 years now and living with eachother for 3, it was going kind of stale there for a while so we decided to add a special day just for us. It's working out great, I look forward to every 1st of the month now.

Home,
Your son reminds me of my older brother. He was always pulling stunts like that. He once called my mom from Virginia and said "can you pick me up?" Apparently he rode his bike there. We live in PA, I thought she was going to have a heart attack. You seem to be very calm, that's a wonderful virtue, he's very lucky to have a mom like you.

Jehari,
Thanks for checking in. I'm happy to hear that you are recovering well. You have the rest of your life to look forward to being healthy!

Thin,
I completely agree with you (as usual).
Lori,
it is such a good thing that this happened BEFORE you were greatly involved. I'm glad to hear he's been banished from the state. I won't have to worry about running into him

Pam,
I find you very inspiring. I wish I had half the courage that you do. It is an amazing choice that you've made. There are so many people out there that will never be happy because they lack the courage to "be" themselves. I congratulate you on finding someone that you can be happy with for the rest of your life!

Joe Anne,
You really are the "saint" of this thread. What a sweetie!

Well, I'm back to work. I've got to be here today until 8PM. Yuck, I hate working this schedule because I never eat right on these days. Hopefully I won't have to switch with my counter part again for awhile.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:37 PM   #11  

Hi Chicks,

I have gotten off to a slow start this week but think I have gotten on the diet track now. So far food, water and exercise is doing well today.

Thin did you see the new movie with Johnny Depp yet? I think he is a pirate or something. If you did, what did you think? You know you are my source for movies and bra's.

Went to dinner Monday night with some high school "people". Part of it was fun but part was crappy. I get tired of re-hashing the past over and over and over. My view is "GET OVER IT and MOVE ON". I mean we will be having our 35 Class Reunion next year, it is WAY past time to go forward.

Hmmm tomorrow if Fun Friday. I wonder what I should do? I suppose I could post here two days in a row. That would be fun for me but I don't know about the rest of you.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:10 PM   #12  

Hey girlys I am here. I have had a horrible day, I don't come often and moan and groan, but today was my turn for a day from ****. Heres how it went

8:30 arrive at work 8:45 crying at work, because some old fart called and gave me a ration of poop. The company I am working for is filling in for this other company while they are on vacation, well this man is awful.. We are supposed to be there to do Personal Care for the wife and the hubby just seems to want a maid for himself and his 50 year old daughter. Anyway I swear he has called every day to complain about something and today he was relentless, and said it was the worst company he ever worked with....yada yada yada . Anyway this is a state case, so it is state funded, come to find out this man is loaded with money just got it in the daughters name. RRRRR, I hate people like this. So anyway he was very abusive on the phone and to our worker today took, so she left after the first 10 minutes. So that started my day off badly. Then I get home get a letter in the mail from Evan who is away at camp...and he is having a horrible time, and begged me to come get him, so there I sat in my car like a baby, wanted to protect my baby. So, I have decided that if I get there tomorrow and they did not let him call home, heads are going to roll. This is his 3rd year at the camp so I know he is not just home sick. God please let this day get over so I can go get my baby....and I hope he turned out having a nice time after all.

Now on to replies for this thread so far......

Pam: I hope your walk was a good one. Always better to do it with friends, makes it not seem like work so much.

Thin: Hope the show was good. Is this a reality show of somesort? Did you get your reports done? Hope so....did you get to Curves today or is today off day?

Lucky: Sounds like fun having dinner with old friends. But I agree 35 years later the stories get old. Guess it keeps em young feeling...lol

Justme: Tomorrow is another day, you will find your way back. Just put today behind you. Good luck and keep your chin up.

Homebound: Hope your son turns up. Just would be nice to know where he is I'm sure. {{Hugs}}

Jen: I'm sorry to hear hubby will not be home till Christmas...{Hugs to you} Keep your chin up.

Lori: Boy things sure move fast down in the south. Up here in the North you get a speeding ticket or and OUI and you don't go to court for months and months. I can't believe he went to court so fast. And I did not realize he had done that much damage to someone....all over sex....???? Give me a break, he needs to grow up, you should have asked him what he did any other time. He has 2 hands/use them.....And what a sentence the judge passed. Does he have a history? You said you took a domestic violence councelor with you? Were you worried he would try something? Is he that dumb? Good thing you got rid of that saga of your life I guess. I sure would not want those headaches.

Joe-anne: Keep up the good work. You amaze me more and more every post. You are a wonderful caring person.

Hugs to all,
Sandy
Old 07-31-2003, 07:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

I'm but here's lot's of for the losers, for those having a terrible time, for those who need some sunshine, and : for all those who are sticking to their plan.

Don't think I'm , I'm not!, just about to from a long day. Now I need to push away from and go watch the Amazing Race!
Old 07-31-2003, 10:16 PM   #14  
Walking by faith

Default Good evening ladies...

I wish I'd had better news today. My DS showed up..for a grand total of 5 minutes. He threw some things in a suitcase and announced that he was going on a "road trip" with his buddies. I don't really know these guys, but I've heard some bad things about them (possible drug involvement & just overall nastiness). Just me remarked on how calm I seemed earlier. Not then...I went ballistic When my husband and I asked where he was going, he wouldn't tell us. We finally pinned them down to FL (a big state, but they're probably headed towards Tampa). We have the plate # and the description of the car, just in case. I think I mentioned earlier in the week about my life being boring-I WISH!

Just me: Keep up the good work with your exercise and enjoy the night out with your sweetie!

LLB: I graduated a year ahead of you (35 this year). I'm glad HS is behind me!

Peekaboo: I'm sorry about your bad day. I've done a lot of
myself today. I would definetely go get my son at camp. But it may not be so bad remember "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah"?

Terri: Thanks so much so the encouraging words. The Amazing Race is the only reality show I really enjoy ..but I wanted Kelly to be eliminated!

Good night everyone!
Old 07-31-2003, 10:27 PM   #15  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi girls! Well, I guess you can see I've pretty much been sitting in my office chair most of the day. I finally finished my 4th report. That procrastination gene just really had me hog tied today. I don't know why I was such a slug. I even put my head back in my chair and took a nap today during All My Children. Luckily I taped it so now that I'm awake I can watch it.

I just pretty much sat and sat all day. I did go outside and dead-headed a couple of my flowering plants and supervised #1 son doing a couple of plantings. Mad Max the cat was out on the porch for a bit and pretty much behaved himself after I caught him by the tail and hauled him up once by the scruff of the neck. I'm sure that an 18# cat doesn't like to be hauled up by the scruff of his neck and so that's why he stayed on the porch after the first time. Ya think??? #1 son and I talked some about our vision for the landscaping project. (his and mine weren't entirely the same )

I have a rock garden in the back that is so overgrown and neglected that we want to just rip all of the stuff out of it and maybe mulch the area with just one shrub or something. The trouble with the spot is that the next door neighbor has some HUGE arborvitaes on his side of the fence and they drop their $hit on my side of the fence right into the rock garden area so the spot just has never looked the way I wanted it to in the first place. Now, after many years it's just time to tear it up and do something different.

Anyway, most of the rocks back there are overgrown too, but in order to tear up the spot, they need to be dug out. Sooo, we're going to put them in the front landscape now. Figure we'll make a little river-like of rocks to act as a splash guard for the downspout. #1 son and I think that will work out pretty well. It's beginning to come along.

Jen: Listen to me, honey. Please do not feel 'guilty'. Everyone that chooses to lose weight, chooses to do it in their own way and in their own time. The WLS was your choice. Some, myself included, just don't see having surgery. Not that I don't see others having it, I don't see ME having it. I'm not big on pain. I had my kids without anesthetic or insident. I'm just not into hospitals and all that entails. That does not mean that WLS wasn't the answer for YOU. You have been around this thread long enough, yes, before you were AWOL for so long and now after, to know that we are very accepting of anyone, everyone and their plan for weightloss. Some of us are more successful than others. I, for one, would be interested in hearing about your experience. I have only spoken to one person, one on one, who had the surgery done. I don't know much about it. Also, even if you don't want to talk about it, I would love to hear about the everyday things in your life. You know we're not ALL about weightloss here. It is only the common thread that brought us together in the beginning. Since then, we've all become friends, you included. I'm sorry that your DH is going to be gone so long. I'm sure that if nothing else, you could use our shoulders to lean on while he's gone. I don't think anyone ever has enough friends. We count you as one of ours. Please, please don't ever feel guilty. I don't think you took the easy way out, I think you are a brave woman to go under the knife and put up with post operative healing and restricted eatting as your end to obesity. [[[hugs]]]

Homebound: I'm sorry things are turning out the way they are for your son. Sometimes kids just don't get it. My best friend's youngest is in jail right now. DUI -twice, and violating probation. You'd think they would learn, but I guess it takes some longer than others. Now he says when he gets out he thinks he wants to see a Marine recruiter. Maybe it will best for him. Make him grow up, that's for sure. I hope all goes well with your son's road trip and that you don't have more grief to come. * As far as my frozen yogurt breakfast, I did great the rest of the day. I didn't have anything until dinner other than water. I guess I was just hungry this morning and that's what I grabbed. All in all it wasn't so bad. The pasta was measured and made with low fat spaghetti sauce. The frozen yogurt was only 90 calories for 1/2 cup and 0 fat. Not the most nutritious choices, but well within my WW points.

Justme: It sounds like you have a wonderful night planned tomorrow. Who makes all the plans for your dates on the 1st? You or him? Or do you take turns? * We're planning another trip to Niagara Falls for September, I think. I checked the rates and the packages at the hotel we like are back down in September. It's a great time to go. All the flowers are in full bloom and it's cool enough to walk around a bit. * I'd be careful that you agree with me "as usual". I can get pretty opinionated at times and agreeing with me isn't all its cracked up to be.

Lucky: I did see the movie with Johnnie Depp. It is Pirates of the Caribbean and YES he was definitely eye candy in that one, if you like the 'bad boy with a grin" image (it worked for me!!!) * Bra job next week. What do ya want to know??? This time it's Vassarette. Haven't done them before. The girls of The View had Queen Latifa on this morning and they were talking about a new line called Curvations for us more curvatious girls. I think they said it was by Vanity Fair. Available at Walmart, anyway, I do remember that.

Sandy: Yes, The Family is a reality show. They got 8 or 10 members (aunt, uncle, son, cousins, etc.) of one Italian family together at a mansion in Florida. It is hosted by George Hamilton. He's kinda hokey, but the back-biting that goes on makes the show interesting, in a twisted sorta way. * I did finally get my reports done. Had to so I can go to work again tomorrow and generate some new ones. * No Curves today. Tomorrow, though. 3:00 that's MY time, set aside for ME!!!

Terri: Hope you enjoyed YOUR show tonight and were able to stay awake long enough to watch it.

Well, girls, I think I'm out of here. Time to read a chapter in my latest book and hit the pillow. See you all tomorrow.

Last edited by thinthinker; 07-31-2003 at 10:33 PM.
Closed Thread