Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #46  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
I was talking with a coworker yesterday and weight loss came up, and I told her I've lost 75lbs within the past year. We then got into things like clothing sizes, and she had the nerve to look me up and down and then say, "yeah, I think for someone your age, a 6 would be ideal." I don't think she meant any harm by the comment, but who is she to tell me what size I should be? Most people just say, "Wow! Good for you!" It kinda threw me off guard.

However, I'm still not ashamed of my weight loss and don't mind sharing at all. It's an accomplishment that I'm very proud of; why should I be ashamed?
^^ Just saw this, and had to laugh because I fussed about that lady telling me I should be a size 6 then, and my size 8 pants that I'm wearing right now are really a bit too big, and I could stand to be in a 6. My bathing suit I bought recently is a 6. I'm a size 6 now. That's crazy, right? Right. XD
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I find that when someone asks, I proudly tell them. I mean, I knew I was/am huge...they knew/know I am huge, so...why not gloat a little? I mean, anyone who has dieted knows it isn't easy...so take pride in those lost pounds. You have accomplished a lot! I mean, in an every day situation, how many people can you name that lost that much weight? It is an amazing accomplishment! Be proud of yourself!
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #48  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I tell the truth. I've lost 57 pounds!

I don't have a problem with telling people that.

What gets me is when they say how?

Weight Watchers! Which basically boils down to the same thing all successful folks do. Mindful eating and keeping track of your nutrition.

Then they ask me if I exercise! YUP! However I do this for fitness, and to help me with my job working for a veterinarian, and not for loss or maintaining.

Then the eyes glaze over, and they are "gone!"

I'm good, this is how I did it, if you're not ready to hear, I can't make you listen.

I move on!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #49  
Natasha

S/C/G: 335/272.2/250

Height: 5'3"

If I think they truly care then I tell them if not I simply say "ehh... yeah".
ichoose2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 320/150/140

Height: 5'5

i tell people how much i lost all the time..even people who don't ask !
Tibbits2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #51  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I've been maintaining for about a year now, so I don't get a lot of questions anymore. But, when I was losing, I did it very quickly so it got a lot more attention than I wanted it to. People would ask and comment and I hated it. I almost never told anyone how much I had lost. To me it was the same questions as, "How much did you used to weigh?"

The other side of it - "How much more do you wan to lose?" is what I struggle with. People look at me and if I told them I should lose another 40lbs, are shocked and act like I'm telling them I want to be anorexic. No....if you look at the BMI chart 120lbs is completely acceptable for my height. And then I feel like I have to explain that I am still overweight. It's just way more effort than I want to get into, so I will say that I have another 10 to go and leave it at that.

The other thing I get is that now that I am thinner and still have goals to lose more, it makes other people very self conscious of themselves. If I say I'm going to the gym, they feel obligated to tell me why they don't go or make me feel like I'm "that woman" because I keep up with my health. Somehow, we are supposed to lose weight when we are very overweight - everyone was so supportive and encouraging - but once you weigh less than them and still want to lose, they take it as if you are saying you think they are overweight. It's very awkward. I usually just try to be private about it and avoid it as much as possible. Unless I'm talking to a fellow runner and then we talk about running and not weight loss.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote