Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 11:03 PM   #76  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Wildfire...check in to say you are dealing with this okay. My kitty came home! She is hiding in the garage. I have a small kitty dog so she can come in if she feels like it. I unpacked a lot in the garage today. I am wiped out!!!! I walked 45 minutes too. My inside house is a mess. Tomorrows project!
Old 03-14-2003, 12:49 AM   #77  
Empress/Queen

Default Yo!

So much to catch up on, but I need to go to bed ... another high cal day, but a bit less than yesterday. Please excuse the following if it is rambling or if you've heard it, which you likely have but typing keeps me from eating and this is more interesting than the town council meeing story I was trying to write.

Eydie: Re high-cal days ... it's an old idea but lots of people seem to think they invented it ... (actually I invented it ... not really, but I used it back in the good ol' days when I actually lost 100 pounds) ... there are various WW people using this maverick program they call "The Wendy Plan" or variations thereof ... where they eat different point levels on different days ... a popular mag publicized Wendy a few months ago (Woman's World) and there's a website. Bodybuilders now call it "overfeeding" ... in the old, old days, they called it "calorie cycling" ... Body for Life calls it a free day ... and they all think their way is the only way it can be done ... anyhoo, I digress, basically, it's just that proponents of this idea (including me) think the metabolism adjusts itself to a certain calorie level if one consistently stays at that level and that's a major reason for plateaus ... but if eat low cal for, say, two days, then eat more on the third day (or whatever), the body says, "Thank goodness, she's not starving, we can rev the metabolism up to normal again."

Variations of this really do work for most people and it worked great for me when I was losing a lot of weight. I did it every week and kept spreadsheets averaging my total weekly calories (still do) and overall the averages were the same as on weeks where I ate level every day ... but I lost more weight on the up and down weeks.

But at some point this started to backfire and it's gotten harder and harder to go low after I've gone high ... I just keep going high!!!!

And so it goes. Today's calories: 2680. I'm sure I've gained the three pounds back and I'm extremely tired from the change in exercise programs and I must work all weekend ... oops, digressing again.

Punkin: See you on Thursday! Enjoy Yuma ... it's really a nice place. Yes, I think it's a kind of miracle about Elizabeth though I feel for the emotional damage she's likely to suffer for years from the trauma of her strange ordeal. I've heard all the news reports and talking heads, including those who liken this to Stockholm Syndrome, Patty Hearst, PTSD, etc.

Wsw: No worries re not being able to respond to each and every post ... we all suffer from that as it's true we are a chatty group. It's kind of understood, IM (not humble) O that when we are talking, we are talking to all!!!

Hottie: CONGRATULATIONS ON ONE BAD OUT THE DOOR!

Well, must go bead now and then sleep. I've become obsessed with square stitch (also called "false loom stitch" and a couple of other names) and am making a bracelet with an old, old rose pattern, except mine look like tulips. I am using delicas ... cream for the background, pale pink for the flower and I added a lavender stamen for good measure, green stems, and pale yellow nymo (bead thread). This looks so much like loom work but there's no setting up of the loom and no warps to deal with.

Ok, I really must stop posting so many bead things and will shut up.

Wildfire: Hope all is well with thee and DD!

Bye all!
Old 03-14-2003, 06:09 AM   #78  

Smile Fabulous Friday!!!

Here we go Friday, here we go!!!!!

COLD here again this am, sky was inky blue and stars twinkling. Wind must have been blowing all night.

I feel more rested this am and am relieved as I was afraid of a virus. Hmmm, we always think everything but stress don't we??

Oh no, did I forget about a meditating last night? Maybe not, we didnt discuss it again did we??

So here we are on Friday-- And our Queen of Friday has gone to survey her charges in Yuma and to visit w/ her Royal Dad.

We shall carry the Friday Banner as best we can without her! I have put the banner out on the porch so the breeze catches it. Its still under the overhang so I think its safe but we can see it thru the bay windows and everyone on the lake or the opposite shore can see it too.

So, kettle is on, I'm making your favorite!! Hot off the press, NO GUILT and FreshStart cards in Spring colors! Has everyone grabbed a life preserver???

Come on in, pull up a chair, positive energy seems to be in every corner!!!

Today's thought is:"People who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

To today's best choices!!!
Old 03-14-2003, 08:42 AM   #79  

Ah, seize the day! Invigorated at the moment (since reading posts) and hope to make it a good one. Sun out, still cold but SUPPOSED to be in the 40s today and warmer over the weekend. That's warm enough for an outdoor walk and so it's on my schedule.

I subscribe heartily to that hi(gher) calorie theory because my metabolism tanks easily. Like the Empress, I oft forget that I've had that high day and redo it, just to be sure.

Good one, all!
Old 03-14-2003, 09:12 AM   #80  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Thumbs down mornin' all

Very sunny here...hard on the deprived eyes.

Just fly-by...am off the wall with my focus these days...will try to get back on the treadmill of life...but you know gettin' old is a pain...I like the b word better but I'm not talkin' about female dogs...been bleedin' for a month now and I'm gettin' tired...time to talk again!! to the GP....think I'll ask for a referral to a gyno. This is ridiculous! Anyway, off to a grievance hearing...ha fun ...and then the rest of the day. I'd better eat something...fruit I guess, but I feel distinctly unwell...Would hate to black out tho...

Youse guys are doin' great...welcome to flower and wsw and anyone else I missed. I think the are gettin' lonely tho...should send all the 's over to keep them company!!!

MIA

Ceara
Old 03-14-2003, 09:30 AM   #81  
deleted2

Ceara, I was just wondering about you! Sorry to hear you're having what my father still charmingly calls 'female trouble'. Yeah, have that checked out--no wonder you're feeling weak!

Just did an hour long Pilates video. I've never gone that long before--it was quite challenging, but good!

Thanks, Amarantha, for the info. Makes sense--I guess that was the idea behind WW's 'weekends off' thing they did a few years ago? I'll check out the Wendy website!

And speaking of keeping the body guessing, I'm thinking about shaking up my weight training. It's embarrassing to say this, but we have a fabulous "real" weight machine in our basement and it mocks me every time I go down to do laundry. We bought it maybe 7 years ago and in spite of our good intentions, never really used it. So I'm thinking about it........

Kaylets, yikes! I DID forget about our meditation. I can't believe I did that 'cause I really like it. Next time I'll put bright yellow stickys around to remind me.

Old 03-14-2003, 09:55 AM   #82  
Momma Frog

Official weight as of today 220. Kinda bummed out that I went up a lb. But oh well.

This weekend I'll be shopping for a veil and some undies for my dress. I'm really getting excited about the whole thing!!!!
Wish my fiance was as excited. He generally doesn't get excited until about 2 weeks before anything. He's more looking forward to the honeymoon!!!

Anyway, I'm stuck here at work until goodness knows when. I had to take over someone else's work since she went home sick this morning. Bummer
Old 03-14-2003, 10:22 AM   #83  

Ceara, absolutely get referral to gyn. With all that and dieting as well, anemia can rear it's ugly head and that could be why you're feeling distinctly unwell.

Eydie, great on the exercise as well. I understand well the exercise equipment mocking you. I did start back on my ski machine but then went through some unwell time and it's calling to me again. But then I do want OUTSIDE exercise so am planning to walk.

Frogger, groom's role from now to wedding is to be calm when you're not, to agree with all your planning and not to get cold feet. The most important role is to be calm.

Also forgot to meditate last evening. Remembered about 8:30 - internal clock was way off. Actually the problem was I forgot it was Thursday.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:05 PM   #84  
wsw

hi everyone!

it's beautiful and though cool, it is sunny here today. yesterday, it was actually even warm. this weather is definitely giving me spring fever. i'm inching my way back to lowering my cals. more healthfully. i've continued exercising regularly, so that is feeling good. well, i hope everyone has a pleasant friday. take care, all!
Old 03-14-2003, 01:09 PM   #85  

Had a lovely outdoor walk. Saw lots of bulbs coming up in neighbors' yards where the snow has started to melt away from the houses. Piles of snow being reduced but still a lot here.

Now I'm going to head off to store where I got my bargain yesterdy and just see what else I might come across. ;-).............
Beats eating!
Old 03-14-2003, 06:43 PM   #86  
Hot Stuff

Thank you, everyone, for the support regarding my teenager, a.k.a "The Walking Attitude". My cousin is five years younger than me(he's 28), so he's playing the "cool cousin" role and he and his girlfriend (?) (really common-law wife) are subtley talking to her without coming off as nagging or lecturing. They are telling here that we really are not ogres, and that failing three classes out of four deserves a good grounding, and that as much as she might dislike or deny it, WE are the adults which means WE are in charge, not her. He has been explaining to her that all she had to do is what I ask, namely GO to school, PASS her classes, and do a minimal amount of housework here. Really, that's all I ask of her. I don't think I'm unreasonable. She thinks I am. She got it in her head that her grounding should be lifted since it is March break here and she had no school this week. I disagreed, she left. I'm trying to explain to her that when she makes choices (not attending school, failing) she has to take responsibility for her actions and accept the consequences (grounding). But for this, I'm a ***** and other descriptive expletives that I won't post here and she hates us.

So, having her stay with my cousin for a few days is giving her the chance to see things through his eyes, because anything we tell her is met with hostility and immediately ignored. It's also giving us some peace here at home. When she comes home on Sunday, she is to resume her grounded status. If she can bring me proof from school that she is attending classes and show me passing grades (she had a science test last week), then we'll negotiate the rest of her grounding. If she shows me that she did well on the test, for example, I'll consider letting her go out on Friday night. I feel I have to stand my ground, though, or she'll never learn that she has to face consequences for bad choices.

I wasn't overly worried when she disappeared because she is a smart kid, she just prefers her social life to school. She wouldn't put herself in a risky situation knowingly. I was sure she went to a friend's house, and she did. I called the police more because I told her I would if she left, and that her friends could also get in trouble for hiding her because she is a minor. I thought it was important to follow through on it, and if she didn't turn up, I wanted them looking for her.

This is just a quick post to let you all know I'm hanging in there. I'll catch up with everyone tomorrow. Hubby is waiting for me to join him for a movie.

Kaylets, Congrats on the 160's!!!
Old 03-14-2003, 07:00 PM   #87  

You are so together, Wildfire. And the "cool cousin" will surely help. (My younger bro is only six years older than my dd was and he was usually a good influence because he wasn't an old fogey).

Bought two more tops to match outfit I bought yesterday. Sis's dh had bought her identical slacks and two other matching tops for her bd. We often end up with the same things from the same sale at the same store. Great minds and all that.

Have a nephew getting married this evening in Texas. His Mom and bro tried to fly out of Alaska to get to the wedding but were turned back at Anchorage because of the high winds they were showing on tv. Have not heard whether they were able to catch a flight that would still have them get there on time. It wasn't looking good last I heard.

Empress must be getting all that work belted out. No posts for the day yet.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:45 PM   #88  

Smile Hello all!

Hello!

Shopping! I need to do it too!

The black dress pants I replaced this week are so worn looking I'm not even sure they're worth holding on to "give" away. Just wore them into the ground. Still such a Yankee at heart, am only buying what I must as I still have more sizes to go thru. Now that spring is coming, might find a few pieces to wear to work but
am not sure what there might be. Some things have been waiting for almost 15 yrs! Might be moth holes or what have you!

Am planning to go to a family party Memorial Day to celebrate my parents 50th wedding aniversary. But I figured I'd buy just before we left as I definitely want to be wearing a size that fits, nothing baggy in the family photos!!

Anagram, hope your family doesnt have to hang out in airports too long!! Did you see any robins on your walk? Isnt it great to see the spring flowers making their way up out of the ground?

Frogger, don't fret about the scale! Its just temporary! What kind of veil are you thinking??

Wildfire, Not sure if you're school system does this but we were disappointed to find the HARD way, that the highschool here decided if a phone call came in regarding an absence, they wouldnt notify the parents. Never mind the calls came 17 days in a row-- from DS saying he was DH!!!!
I'm not saying you have to annouce that you'll be doing your own checking but we were the naive ones, " So much homework today, can't believe it...." Even had the b..... to spend the lunch money and then when caught, complained about selection of food in the fridge. ( That's how we figured it out too, too much food disappearing).
Frankly, the pattern here at our house, is the more trouble and guilt, the more dramatics. Programs could be sold at the door.
I used to be a very big believer of "its their room". The first time I did a search I felt terrible but my suspicions proved me right. More than once. And DH was FURIOUS I'd think to do a search.
And DS tried to guilt us about it. "My room! Don't you remember what MY means??" and naturally, DH asked ,"Don't you remember whose house your in?"
I'm not saying you're DD is in more than a temporary slump at school--- and I hope that's all it is, that she feels overwhelmed because some of the work is at a faster pace and that a tutor or time w/ your guidance will get her back on track.... I hope this isn't like our story....all I'm suggesting is that better safe than sorry.
We discovered the only time DS was going to school towards the end was when he found out a parent was staying home.

anyway-- I've gone on way too long.

Hope eveyone else is having a relaxing Friday night.

Let me post and see who else has been by.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:51 PM   #89  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Fly-by postie to announce another high cal day ... weight was back up ... must stop that weighing everyday stuff and have decided when it comes down to the Curves weigh-in day, I'll tell them I don't wanna do that! I do love the workout though ... very fun and I feel stronger.

Wildfire: Glad thou be holding up against the inroads o' the young on thy nerves! Hope everything settles down but thou be right to make good on thy promises, IM (not humble) O!

Kaylets: Thy story be all too scarily common, methinks ... a neighbor (the husband of Amarantha's ex-best-friend) asked me to take him to the high school a couple of years ago so he could give some the kid some money (the ex-friend's husband is legally blind and was unemployed at the time, so he worried a lot) ... anyhow, we went over to the school ... the kid had just transferred back there from another high school where he'd thought he wanted to go but only stayed a few weeks ... my neighbor went in and came out with a puzzled look and said the boy wasn't there and hadn't been there for about two weeks ... they hadn't noticed it is a huge bureaucratic school apparently staffed by idiots who DID get the paperwork transferring the kid back but figured he changed his mind when he never showed up ... turns out he'd been spending his days in the park watching old men fish and thinking about life (he said).

Anyhow, I digress again.

Eydie: Hope thy exercise machine finds it's way upstairs soon!!! Poor thing. It's probably lonely.

Ceara: I agree, if thy condition has been going on for a month GO TO THE DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY! Really! Do it! Check it out, don't assume it's nothing! (In my biz, there's an old saying, "If your mother says she loves you, check it out!) Especially if you don't feel well. Ok? Ok!

Frogger: The day neareth!!! Hope thou findeth just the right veil and undies!

Wsw: Good for thee in continuing to exercise! Have a great weekend1

Anagram: Thou be a shopping animal lately! Good for thee in springing into spring in new duds ... and for taking an outdoor walk as well!!!

Kaylets: I also am refusing to buy much until I get back into my smaller sizes ... it's gonna happen for both of us ... soon, very soon, I can feel it!!! Come Memorial Day, mayhap ... ?

Well, I plan to arrive at the festival I'm covering tomorrow very, very early to get into position for the parade ... and Old Dog and Silly Cat are driving me mad today, just generally jumping on stuff and making noise (cat) and smiling at me to come play (dog), so I'll go settle them down with some treats.

I fully agree we should send all extra s to the Lucky Strike Motel to amuse the s, who I hear are still lurking about there, smoking and drinking and playing poker and raising all sorts of havoc in the desert.

Old 03-15-2003, 06:57 AM   #90  

Smile SATURDAY!

Hello all!

Looks like upstairs bathroom might be leaking from a seal -- always something isn't it??

Scale is still holding at the 168 mark so I am beginning to believe I'm really below 170.

Ceara- About 4 yrs ago, I also was like you-- then, someone told me when they're thyroid dosage was too high they had the same symptons---- I wasnt taking any medication but was handling thyroid medication for a dog ( now deceased). We could only get human size pills and had to give the dog a quarter of a pill. I started making sure my hands were in soap and water the minute the dog got his pill. Bleeding let up too. But I remember the dragging exhaustion --- horrible.

wsw- Did you mean a 'cat/doggy door?' I wish I could do the same. Would be very handy except I wonder, I have one dog who'd be out in the yard all night barking and barking. She'll go out there and get every dog out barking back at her. I guess they're discussing all their owners!

Flower-- I bet you're burning lots of activity points unpacking! Two for the price of one! Just remember, bend w/ the knees!!
Those big machines are so intimidating too if you ask me. But who says you can't jump on and do 3-5 minutes of one routine?
If you were in the gym, w/ different machines, it be the same, right?

Another thread talks about how some of us don't even do 5 minutes of something because "perfectionsim" has us thinking we need to do a "whole workout" or its not beneficial. If you're trying to raise your heartrate, that's a whole different argument. But I didnt realize for the longest time that NON aerobic acitivty can be done in small does and be just as beneficial.

BJ's; Empress, is a warehouse club like Costco or Sam's -- In fact, Denise Austen has big article in this month's "Bj's Magazine" and she points that out about Yoga, pilates, and resistance work.

Anyway, time to hit the showers as DH's truck has an appointment to get the windshield replaced.

Dollar, Arabella, Anagram, Miss W, Ceara, Punkin, Empress, Autumn (?) Scooby, Frogger, Flower, ------ Let's make this a great Saturday--
I'm hoping to post a Saturday chuckle later but even if I don't, lets all look for something comical today.....!!

Today's thought is:
The Sufi's advise us to speak only after our words have managed to pass thru the gates. At the first gate, we ask ourselves, " Are these words true?" If so, we let them pass on; if not, back they go. At the second gate we ask, "Are they necessary?" At the last gate, we ask: "Are they kind?"

To today's best choices!!
Closed Thread