Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Why is this time different?

I've put very little effort in trying to lose weight before this. I would cut out fast food, or start a plan, or maybe exercise a bit more, usually for a few weeks, then quit. But something is different for me this time. I can't quite put my finger on it. I feel...commited. I'm putting more effort than I ever have into not just losing weight, but changing my lifestyle.

I was wondering if anyone felt the same way....this time is different.
And have you figured out why?
Micki k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #2  
Cool Chick

S/C/G: 283/227.2/180

Height: 5' 10"

YES! I totally know what you mean. I am 100% committed to getting to my goal this time around.
I think it is a few things: I'm ready. I'm not afraid of the ups and downs because I will keep movin' regardless and figure out what will work. And I just got sick and tired of that despair you sometimes get--that nothing will ever change with regard to your weight.
This time, it will.
heathermichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #3  

For me it was initially be cause I had a goal after I lose my weight. Now though, it's kind of turned into something along the lines of why the heck not? Yes, I'm still depressed and yes I still struggle, but for some reason I just lack the desire to ruin it all again. I'm the sort that focuses on the big, overall goal and then I get overwhelmed. I've finally taken a step back though and now just looking at the smaller achievements - each pound or so I lose each week - helps immensely. So...to make a long story short, this time is different for me, A) because I have an actual goal aside from x amount of weight lost or to be a certain size and B) I'm looking at every pound as success! I think it's really all in the way we look at it for how determined we are.
essbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #4  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Yes, I know what you mean too. I can't say I ever put any effort into weight loss before - I thought a lot about it, and would think "tomorrow I'm going to start"... and then never did anything. But this time was different. I was committed, and nothing was going to deter me. It was going to be a very long road, but that hardly mattered. I was just... ready, finally, to find a way to make it happen, no matter what. I know what motivated me to start, but the "why" of being so committed this time still eludes me.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #5  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Well, right now I am struggling. Yesterday was an awful day for me, and I'm reminded why this time is different and that is comforting in getting back on track. I don't want to regain 30 pounds and relose it, ever, ever, ever again.

I want to lose 10 more pounds. Should be easy. I'm finding it is not.

I am consoling myself in the fact that I'm not gaining, but maintaining for a few months, but still, I know I have allowed my head to get out of the game. I need to get back into this. That written, yesterday is behind me, it was a terribly carb-laden day, white carb after the next, and today I'm on track. I'm looking forward to going to bed early and having an even better tomorrow.

So, why is this time different? Because I won't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I finally learned this IS forever. Forever. Just like I can't spend day after day mindlessly eating mac N cheese, I have to realize that there will be occasions when I'll eat a piece of cake. I hope to always be mindful that tomorrow is another chance to reinforce my efforts and put today behind me, and continue to learn from my mistakes.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201.6/137/135

Height: 5'2"

I did know this time was different... Can't say why, I just knew
Charin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #7  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

This time is different because I realize that I'm not getting any younger and have several health factors that could hurt me in the long run if I keep going the way I was going. Plus I am just tired of looking at myself in the mirror. But health is really the first reason.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #8  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

I think this time is different for me for two reasons: 1) I decided I'm too old to keep screwing around with my health; and 2) I found a good tool (Lose It) to help me stay on track. And, like 124chicksinger said, I know this time that it's a lifelong commitment and that going astray occasionally is not an excuse to quit.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/169/150

Height: 5'9"

Definitely right there with you guys.

I think for me it's a couple reasons: One, I really feel ready now. As simple as that sounds I think it's such a hard thing to do, so you really have to reach that point where you're prepared and truly ready for it.

Two, I think this is the first time I'm really coming around to doing it for me, and no one else. I need to not do this to get guys to like me, or to get attention. I need to do this because I want to be healthy and live my life fuller than I have been. I want to enjoy the summer in cute clothes and not try to convince everyone I'm "not hot" in my hoodie when it's in the 70s..

Also, the more I have started slipping and almost gaining it all back (yet again) I'm getting better at catching myself and not letting that happen, which is huge on its own. I've realized how hard it is to lose the 8-10 you've gained, so I'm done with gaining. I can't do that anymore. time to keep going the other way!
bsbgirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #10  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I feel like I genuinely have more support this go-round. And I also joined a weight loss competition to keep me accountable; if I were to give up now, I'd feel like I'd give up on my commitment that I made with the people who run the competition. It's given me the power and the tools and the motivation to set me up for success. Also, I'm actually seeing results pretty quickly this time, even if they're not that major.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/147/140

Because, for the first time ever, I am not just giving lip service to the idea that "it's a lifestyle change, not a diet".

Because I incorporated exercise early on.

Because this time I wasn't just trying to lose 10 lbs to look cuter in clothes. This time, I was so seriously overweight I was miserable, and I feel so much better now I KNOW I'll never go back.

Because, since I've had so much success this time around, and am enjoying the results so much, it's not a matter of IF but WHEN I will hit my ultimate goal.

Because somewhere along the line, I have learned that being healthy makes me happier than mindless junk food eating ever did.

Because I finally feel like I am the "me" I'm supposed to be.

I still don't have a good answer for why, this time, it all clicked for me- but it did, big time. So I guess the real reason is

Because, this time I was really ready, and serious about making the changes.
makingthechanges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

What you say is me completely! I've done untold diets, only to stall at 1-2st and then put it all back on again.

I don't know what made it different this time, but - just like you - I've just felt kind of committed. During bad weeks I've reminded myself why I'm doing this and how much I've already achieved and carried on rather than quitting. During good weeks I've congratulated myself and spurred myself on.

Like makingthechanges says, I was miserable - so miserable I couldn't have sunk any lower! I've learnt that I can have blow-outs, big nights out and cake - in moderation. i've changed my cooking beyond belief and totally enjoy eating healthily.

More than anything, I now enjoy how I feel and look - and that translates into huge differences in how others react towards me. Self confidence is a powerful thing and is spurring me on across that finishing line. (Slowly, but surely lol).

Last edited by Elliemar; 03-05-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

The one thing I have learned about "this time" is that I was ready. I've been needing to do it for a few years, but I wasn't "ready". I had tons of distractions and little to no discipline, no real understanding of how to get to where I wanted to be. I just finished up a grueling graduate degree program back in August and there was a lot of research involved. After I got finished I had to move, but once settled I decided to put all my new research skills to work and figure out HOW to get to my goals. Between November and February, I've done a ton of research on weight loss, (as well as other subjects related to other goals) and since I'm a Math/Physics/CompSci guy, it all became about the numbers. The laws of thermodynamics and calories in versus calories out became my mantra and I wanted to put my new found research to the test. So this time, I'm ready.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 216/ticker/164

Height: 5'8"

Because this time, it's not just about me. My boyfriend and I want to get married and start a family in the next couple of years, and I want to be within a healthy weight range before I try to get pregnant. Like makingthechanges said, it's not just about losing weight to look cute in clothes. It's about committing to a healthier lifestyle that will benefit me, my boyfriend, and my future children.
robotfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #15  

I totally understand how you feel. I've been on yo-yo dieting for a couple of years, I would go on really fad diets for a week or two, lose a couple of pounds then gain it all back. I realized I needed to change my lifestyle when I became aware of the fact that my social life had to suffer because I hated my body. I can't even say I have so much weight to lose and perhaps losing the extra weight won't solve my self esteem issues, but I feel like this is something I have to do, otherwise I'll just keep feeling sorry for myself.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote