Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 12:02 AM   #1  

Arrow Diamonds In The Rough!

Hi Marilyn, Anna and Sharon and anyone else checking into this thread. My name is Johnnie and this is the start of our little support group known as the Diamonds In The Rough.

Today was my first day of my new lifestyle! I have to admit that I thought about food, ALL DAY LONG but I was good about what I actually put in my body. Hurray! I did some light walking for exercise and when I was in Costco I bought a workout DVD - Pilates for Weight Loss. It was only $11 and I've heard so much about how great a workout Pilates is supposed to be, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

Tomorrow is my first Overeaters Anonnymous meeting. I'm a little nervous about going but I know I need all the help I can get to battle my food obsession. Wish me luck! I'll be sure to post and let you know how it was.

Marilyn, I understand you need a little push. . . like, toward the gym! Believe me, it's a daily struggle to get myself to exercise, either at the gym OR at home. That is one reason why I bought the DVD. If you don't get to the gym tomorrow, don't let that be an excuse NOT to exercise! If you have dogs or kids, take them for a walk before or after dinner. Too cold to walk? When you're watching TV, do some knee bends, some leg lifts or arm curls, or even just stretch out your body and hold the positions. Even if it's only twenty minutes worth, be sure and move every day! You can do it Diamond Girl!

I'll check in with your ladies tomorrow. Until then. . . "shine on you crazy diamonds!"

Johnnie aka Queen Diamond

GROUP HUG!!!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 12:09 PM   #2  

Default Good Day, Diamonds!

Rough night last night and rough morning too. Our daughter, age 8, has been having some sever anxiety problems lately. She doesn't sleep well, she has crying jags, etc.. This all started when her brother went to Europe during the summer, and only got worse when he left for college in September.

When I get upset/nervous guess what I like to do to calm myself? You got it - eat! But I was good and didn't binge last night. I told Dave (hubby) how I was feeling and we just talked and held hands. First of many challenges against food I'm sure!

I'm going to the gym later to ride the stationary bike and check out the class schedules. Everyone be sure and move today!

I'll post again later and try and email you ladies when I get the chance. Have a great day!
Old 01-07-2003, 04:19 PM   #3  

Default I made it!

Hello Ladies,
I made it over to the board! Yesterday started off okay, but I fell off the wagon after dinner last night and at a cup of ice cream The funny thing is, I don't usually crave sweets, it's usually the carbs; bread, pasta etc. Go figure!

Well today I did somewhat better, turkey and green beans for lunch. The big challenge will be after work, I have to go by the grocery store

I have workout equipment at home; an eliptical trainer and a whole set of weights. But they are in my workshop, and it doesn't have heat. I guess I could get going and work some up!

Johnnie, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she settles down. I know how she feels, I suffer from anxiety too. Sometimes it can get pretty bad. On a lighter note, I'm looking for a Pilates class to take. Maybe I'll get a DVD to try first before I sink bucks into a class. Let me know how you like it.

I hope the rest of you chime in! Hope to hear from you all soon! If you would like to AOL Instant Message, my handle is roses4meskb1.

Shine On!!

Sharon B.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:04 PM   #4  

Angry New Kid on the Block

Good Afternoon!
I received a message from Rose of Sharon telling me about the thread.
Just a little info about me:

35 yrs old;Married;Mother of two ( Boy, 13 & Girl, 5 )
Full time job in Administration at Baptist Seminary

I have battled with weight my adult life, I have had a couple of victories, but basically I am losing the war!!

35 years old, 5ft3in, and 230lbs...

That says it all!
I am currently trying to reduce intake, drink water, completely cut out desserts, notice I say trying! I am also trying to get a daily walk going! Again trying!

I would love to keep a chat going with y'all, I will check back!

Paula
Old 01-07-2003, 07:29 PM   #5  

Default First OA Meeting!

Hello Diamonds!

Well, today was my first Overeaters Anonnymous meeting. I was very self conscious because I expected to be able to hang in the back and listen and see how I felt about it. Turned out, there were two women, me and another first timer, a man, and that was it! I felt like I wanted to crawl under the table or become invisible! I know that we were all there for the same reason, I was just hoping to keep my anonnymity for awhile, ya know?

Anyway, that went ok, I mean, I got the jyst of what the program is about, but I'm not sure if I'll stick with it. I'll go to a few more meetings and start reading the literature and then decide. Margie, who ran the meeting, has been with OA for 22 years! She said she lost a lot of her weight, but she still battles daily with food obsession. She said that just yesterday she had to talk herself out of eating an orange! (She had met her caloric and carb intake already.) She said most people once they decide to go with OA stick with it for the long run because it's a constant battle. Is that what I have to look forward to- a constant battle with food? I kinda hoped I'd fight a war and win, ya know? Mm, well, I'll just have to wait and see.

Today was my first day at the gym too. Ofcourse, almost everyone working out was skinny! Rather than turn around and walk out, I told myself that I bet some of those people had (or have) the same food issues I do and look at them now! I did 10 minutes on the stationary bike and 20 minutes on the treadmill before my feet started hurting. Hey, a little exercise is better than none, right!!?

Paula - hi and welcome to the group! I hope you will post your email or send me an IM with your e-address so we can keep in touch outside of the message board. Your diet/meal plan sounds like mine. Only I KNOW I don't have the will power to cut out desserts completely! I'm hoping to change that to only 'ocassionally' indulging or enjoying nonfat-sugarfree goodies. I'm lucky 'cuz my hubby (a diabetic) found a great shop in town that makes all sugar free desserts. Their soft serve ice cream is SF and Fat Free too and would you believe it tastes great?! They also sell cakes and pies for special occasions and slices for the occasional splurge. I think as long as I'm careful not to stop by there too often I'll be ok and not fall off the low sugar/low cal diet wagon!

I've gotta wrap this up and get started on helping my little girl with her homework. Hope you all have a great night and I'll chat with you tomorrow!

Johnnie

Old 01-07-2003, 08:36 PM   #6  

Talking Made it through the Grocery Store!

Hello All,
Made it out of the store without too much trouble! Bought a lot of fruit, veggies, low fat turkey, etc. Oh yeah, and my favorite diet food, SF Jello! I wish I would have had it in the house last night when I broke down and ate the ice cream

Now I have to overcome my biggest hurdle, EXERCISE!!!
By the time I get home in the evening, I AM SO TIRED!!! I have Sleep Apnea and am on a apparatus at night to help me breath correctly. One of the major side affects of apnea is constant fatigue. So I'm stuck in a vicious cycle. My weight contributes to the apnea, and I'm almost too tired to exercise to lose the weight that contributes to it..... and so on, and so on!

I'm not sure if overeaters anonymous would be for me, I would have to check out their program to see. I can't imagine getting down on myself for wanting to eat an orange though!!

Anyway, I'll be on IM tomorrow if anyone wants to chat real-time! Till tomorrow...

Shine On Diamond Girls!!

Sharon B.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:10 AM   #7  

Angry

I would feel self conscious at Overeaters Anonnymous, too! When I went to Weight Watchers I never said a word! I don't like to speak in front of crowds, but it's great you stayed and gave it a try. I feel like you; I want this to be a war, I want to win and then be done with it, but I don't think that will work out!

While I am typing this I am sitting here munching on Graham Crackers, they are not to bad for you, but I shouldn't be eating them between meals!

Well, I just wanted to check in this morning and see what was new. Y'all keep up the good work, sounds like y'all are giving it a really good go!

Paula

email: [email protected]
Old 01-08-2003, 06:38 PM   #8  

Angry We Can Win This War!

Hello Diamonds,

Well I got through another day without too much trouble, I had 2 pieces of fruit, chicken breast, and steamed veggies today. Although, I did eat some M&M's

I still haven't gotten of my butt yet to exercise I just got home from work and I'm looking for excuses not to. I leave at 6:00am and don't get home till about 6:30pm, an hour both ways in my commute Still need to cook dinner, etc. I guess I need to "just do it"! I just can't get motivated enough. I want to, I know I need to, but....

Oh what the h*%# I'm going to do it right now! I'll write more later!

Shine On!

Sharon B.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:27 PM   #9  

Wink My Evil Husband!

OH MY GOSH. . . . Dave came home and brought me a pack of Suzie Q's!! WHAT AM I GONNA DO??!!

I don't know if they have these wonderful, sinful, delicious, sugar filled, FATTENING treats all over the country or just here on the West coast, but let me just say they are one of my absolute favorite things in life. I've been so good the last two days, and today too and now this!

Dave said I shouldn't just give up everything at once and he knew I'd had a stressful couple of days so he thought I should treat myself and not feel guilty about it. It was all I could do on the way home from my daughter's dance class NOT to have part of the blueberry bagle she had left over from snack! Is my hubby right? Should I give in, go back on the diet tomorrow and exercise a little more? Should I stay strong and send them to work with him tomorrow? Do I eat one and give the other one away? Yeah, like i'm gonna just set the other one aside once I open the package!

I am going to decide later when I have my coffee. I love coffee on winter nights. I'll let you ladies know what I do/did tomorrow. Send me good vibes and let me know what YOU would do in my shoes!!

Johnnie
Old 01-09-2003, 07:25 AM   #10  
Losing & Lovin' It !

Default Morning All!

Oh no, Johnnie--resist that Suzie-Q. Yes they are yummy but they are evil!!
Sorry I haven't been here for a few days--just been very busy and can't seem to find time for the computer. The good news is that I am on Day 8 of staying OP and I have been tot he fitness center 2 nights this week to workout--Yippee.
This morning I am a little sore, but I really feel great. The only proble I have with low carbing is that I seem to be on a very limited food selection and I keep eating the same foods. I don't want to get in a rut--does

Sharon--Congrats on the eating! Now you need to get moving! I know how it feels--I kept putting off going to exercise, but once I finally went I am hooked. I also would love to just stay in after I get home and get settled. But it is worth it to go!

Welcome Paula!

Well I need to get going to school!
Have a great day!

Marilyn
Old 01-09-2003, 09:08 AM   #11  

Angry Good Morning!

I have having trouble getting the evercise started, too! Did you get going Sharon? I had intentions of getting up 30 minutes early this morning and getting some exercise before everyone else got up, but the snooze button got the best of me!!!

We don't have Susie Q's in Georgia, but we have plenty of other tempting treats!!!!!! Johnnie that sounds like something my husband would do, I don't think he understands the inner turmoil I have with food!

Marilyn thanks for the welcome!

Well, just checking in!! Talk back later.

Paula
Old 01-09-2003, 09:40 AM   #12  

Angry I DID IT!!!

Morning Ladies!

Just to follow up my post from last night. I went out and did 20 minutes on my eliptical trainer!

I felt pretty good about myself after I was finished. I did get a lot accomplished last night. I'm not sore today, but I am tired. I went to bed at 10pm instead of 9 like usual.

Anyway, more fruit, veggies, turkey and yogurt today. Oh yeah, and my favorite SF Jello

Johnnie, I do agree with your husband about not depriving yourself, however, I save my treats for the weekend or as a reward. I just try not to give in too much. But even if you do, don't get down on yourself too much! My husband is losing weight too, but he does it without hardly trying

I'll check back in later!

Shine On!

Sharon B.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:37 AM   #13  

Default I Ate Them.

After much debating and trying to say no, I gave in last night and at the Suzie Q's. I felt guilty and torn before I ate them, but afterward I didn't care because they tasted so damn good! Today it's back on the healthy diet wagon. I'm not going to beat myself up about indulging last night. I think I'll just call that my splurge for the week and keep going on my plan like it never happened. Well, except for a little extra exercise the next few days.

I had an eggwhite omlet, a piece of sausage, and coffee for breakfast. My hubby made waffles for our daughter and himself, but I said no thanks. I'm keeping our daughter home from school today (she's feeling under the weather) so I think I'll give that Pilates dvd a try later when my breakfast goes down more. I'll report tonight on how the video was.

Marilyn, I know what you mean about getting in a food rut when you are low carbing it. Try going to different websites and looking for new food ideas and recipes to so you won't get bored with your food. One sight that I like is http://www.atkinsfriends.com

Hey Paula, have you exercised today? Ugh, I KNOW it's hard to do, but just start off slow, like 10 minutes of walking around the block. I don't think I'll EVER get to the point where I look forward to working out, but I do know that I feel better once I'm done. I feel tired, but I also feel like I've accomplished something. Come on Paula, I know you can do it!

Sharon - high five sister! Those eliptical trainers are tough! They have those machines at my gym and they're called Pre-Cor but my friends and I refer to it as the Pre-Sore! haha I'm gonna have to get my butt on one of those sooner or later, but I think I'll keep going slow until I get my wind/endurance up!

Anna- we haven't heard from you! Where are you hon? How is your plan going? Keep us informed, ok?!

Chat with you ladies later!

Johnnie
Old 01-09-2003, 12:38 PM   #14  

Default would like to join

Hello! I just joined the 3FC website. I would like to join your forum. I am a 28 year old stay at home mother of 4. I had a life threatening/changing experience this past year which led to several months of self analyzing....... And then finally a new realization and determination to be "that person" I have always wanted to be. Instead of the one I see daily in the mirror or in pictures. I have been fat for 9 years now. I am hoping that now with my new sense of "self-esteem" which I have never had before, and hopefully with y'alls support, I can finally achieve my goal of weight loss.
Can I join your thread? May I be a Diamond in the Rough too??
Old 01-09-2003, 01:16 PM   #15  

Default You Betcha!

Tette sweety - we're ALL diamond in the rough, we just need a little cutting and polishing!! Welcome to our support group. We're glad to have you!!

As you can see by most post this morning, we're NOT perfect, but we're all trying. Tell us a little more about yourself. What kind of plan are you on? Do you exercise? Do you have an eating disorder? I binge and obsess about food, but I have finally recognized my problem and am taking it one day at a time. One hour at a time, one minute at a time, one craving at a time. . .

Be sure to give us your email address so we can keep in touch outside of the message board, and your name if you have AOL IM or MSN messenger. Talk to you soon!

JohnnieAnn

AOL handle: CoolMom266
MSN handle: goddess_jah
email: [email protected] OR [email protected]
Closed Thread