Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Help me give up Mt. Dew.

I have a horrible addiction to the stuff. A couple of years ago I didn't even drink soda. I turned to Mt. Dew for my migraines and now I just drink it all the time. I don't keep any in my house, but every day I end up going to a soda machine and buying a 16 oz. bottle. I realize it's probably the worst think someone could think of to be addicted to while trying to lose weight.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/160/155

Height: 5' 7.5"

I, too, had a difficult time giving up pop until my vanity won out. I noticed that I had the complexion of a teenage boy (you know, riddled with zits) and realized that soda was to blame. I gave it up just because I wanted to be prettier - I know, I know, totally vain, but it worked. Have you noticed any side effects from the Mt. Dew that could help flip the proverbial switch in your brain to aid in your turning away from it?

Maybe you could avoid taking any money with you to work or wherever you're buying the pop. If you don't have change or bills, you won't be able to get anything.

Of course, I hate to suggest replacing one addiction with another, but what about switching to sweet tea (just made with Splenda). You get caffeine and the sweetness without the calories.

Last edited by AshleyRae; 03-16-2011 at 09:46 AM.
AshleyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

The problem with that is that I really hate tea lol.

I haven't seen any side effects on my skin but even though I didn't have any cavities at my last dental appointment I'm afraid it will take it's toll on my teeth. Having bad teeth is my worst nightmare.

Yeah, the no money thing is a good idea. It will save me 1.50 a day
too. That can really add up!
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I had a bad addiction to all full sugar sodas, but Mt. Dew was my beverage of choice. I had given it before for periods of up to six months. My problem was often that I would get sick and when I get sick, I crave soda.

I don't have any advice except to just "dew" it. It's been 16 months since I've had any pop and life is good. There's no going back. Never again. But it did take a good 9/10 months to be able to say that. I had to get through two bouts of illness without my pop before I knew I was good to go. Now I've been sick since and didn't even think about pop. I had a sip not too long ago just to see if it still tasted the same to me, and nope, it tasted like sugar flavor acid.

I switched entirely to water because I do not care for tea/coffee and I can't have artificial sweeteners due to migraines.

I might suggest giving up sugar all together at the same time because that will decrease the cravings. I always say that once you get three good days under your belt of doing without, the cravings should subside and you should be good to go.

Good luck! Best thing I ever did.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #5  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

You've made a great step by not bringing it into the house, good for you!

Again....I also hate to suggest trading one addiction for another...but diet Mt. Dew actually tastes pretty good. You still get the carbonation burn and caffeine, but at least without the sugar (of course the tradeoff is the artificial sweeteners...but it's hopefully a step in the right direction!)

I don't drink sugar pop anymore, and I've cut down on my diet soda consumption (I have 1-2 a day now, though I do have more if I'm on vacation.) I don't know if I'll ever completely give it up. I know I probably should, but I'm just not ready for that step quite yet.

Good luck!!

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 03-16-2011 at 11:24 AM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #6  
Gonna Do It This Time!

S/C/G: HW259/CW192ish/150

Height: 5'7"

$1.50/day times 20 work days/month = $30

How about starting a 'Kick Mt. Dew' fund? Save your $30 and at the end of every month go do something nice for yourself...mani/pedi, massage, new piece of clothing, etc.
stillwagontsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #7  
We'll go with that!

S/C/G: 262/230/175

Height: 5'7"

I had a horrible addiction to Mt. Dew when I was in college. Not liking coffee or Tea, it was the only thing that could keep me awake during my early morning and late night commutes to and from school. (Yes, I was actually falling asleep while driving... it's very scary, since my father used to do it, and my cousin actually died from it) So I turned to the dew. I would drink it from 6am to whenever it was I went to bed. Sometimes 12-1am and start all over.

I eventually switched to pepsi, picking the lesser of two evils (Mt. dew has more caffeine) But still I would drink it from the time I woke until I went to bed.

I have found one of the reasons why I crave soda is because of taste. I apparently don't like the taste of my own mouth. Sugarfree gum really helped cut down on some soda consumption. But what was really holding me back was the caffeine withdraw. I would actually get migraines trying to get off the stuff. Some people can do cold turkey- I cannot. So I had to do a wean down. I'm still not completely off of it. But I'm not drinking soda for the caffeine anymore. Just the taste. And therefor, I'm only really drinking a few sips a day (I buy those little 100 calorie cans, take three sips, and forget about the rest of it. Limiting myself to a few sips in the morning, and maybe during dinner.) And those few sips is something I can live with. It is 1 million times better than the amount of soda I used to drink (I calculated it once.. it came out to more that 70oz daily of soda)

Anyway... I did noticed though that the more water I drank (and I used to HATE water) the more I craved water. But I also figured out that water has to be REALLY cold for me to drink it. Everyone is different though. for example, my brother only really drinks room temp water. I cannot. It has to be cold. And I keep a large slim line container of water in my fridge (and thankfully we have a water cooler at work... keeps water at a crisp 44 degrees! ) But you will see.. the more water you drink, the more your body will crave it.

LR
LightRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

how about trying diet mt. dew?
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #9  

I drank 3 litres + a day pepsi max for over 10 years

I could not go even 5 minutes without access to it.

I was getting very sick and had major issues (bladder/kidney)

Only way I stopped was making a promise to myself that I would never drink even a mouthful of any type of cola or diet cola drink again.
I now carry a water bottle with me constantly, and only drink that.
It was hard! but I now am about 80 days totally free and feeling bloody good about it!!!
you need to commit to yourself, promise yourself and have the self worth to keep that promise, It is tough, it is hard, but you can do it!
write out a list of the pros and cons? including health, cost, embarrassment,... etc
and weigh up how badly you want to give that up!
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #10  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

I agree with the others here who have said to quit it cold turkey. I also was "addicted" to Mountain Dew. Never went a day without drinking it for probably 10+ years. I haven't had any in more than 10 months now. You can stop drinking it, you just have to tell yourself that you can, and believe it! It really is that simple. It is HORRIBLE for you. The amount of sugar in it and other chemicals is not something anyone should be consuming. Drink water. Drink lots of water, and the cravings will subside. I promise. I've been there, done that. You can do it too. I would not suggest diet Mountain Dew, because it simply gave me cravings for the high octane stuff. LOL. Seriously though, give it a shot. Stop drinking it asap and tell yourself you aren't going to drink it anymore, ever.
Let us know how it goes.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Well to start out you cans witch to diet Dew. I used to be a Coke addict so I know going from regular to diet is gross at first but you do get used to it. What about lemon lime sparkling water? You can get sweetened ones, I know a lot of people would say how is that better than soda but there is a lot less ingredients. I switched to Poland Springs sparkling water a few years ago. I love the raspberry lime but I know it comes in lemon and in lime. At first you might find the taste bitter - I don't now, not at all and when I drink a diet soda on a rare occasion when theres no other choice I notice its way way too sweet now.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #12  

I used to drink A LOT of Mnt. Dew! Try the mini cans...then alternate diet pepsi/diet Dew in every other day. The diest Mtn. Dew is really gross but maybe that will help. I weened myself on to diet pepsi and then basicly off soda all together. Now I have about one a week when i eat out.
nuumite is offline   Reply With Quote