Five-Pound Challenge #4 - Page 5 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 08:34 PM   #61  

Well....um.....er.....I didn't do so good with my 9/9 goal. I was back UP a pound today for a total of only 1 pound lost, instead of the 2 that's posted. Okay, there's only one thing to do and that's to make a NEW GOAL and FORGE AHEAD!!! So, starting at this morning's weight I hereby challenge myself to lose 5 pounds by Oct. 14.

Kaylets, congrats on TWO MORE pounds! Awesome!

Guinever, you have the recipe for success - running and buying healthy food - the weight loss will happen. I know this .

Amarantha, a maintain is a wonderful thing and so are you .

Anagram, a.k.a. "Ms. Baggy Pants" that nickname speaks volumes more than the scale .

Punkin, good job on another pound down for a total of 4.

Bobsgal, you definitely deserve a party . Well done!!!

WSW, a good OP week and a maintain is a sure sign of a loss next week. Hang in there for the good news that awaits .

Oh, by the way, while my weight doesn't seem to reflect it (yet) I have been doing great with my workouts and that makes me feel good . I shall continue..................
Old 09-10-2002, 01:39 AM   #62  
Empress/Queen

Justdoit: You did a great job on your challenge! Your net loss was a you won't see again! When you add it into the five you're bound to lose in the next go-round, that's six down!!! THAT'S PROGRESS!!! And, anyway, if your are good, you probably gained some muscle, not a this week!

Kaylets: Actually, that question isn't hypothetical to me, as I wanted to give my brother a kidney, but he died shortly after everyone thought he had gotten well. We didn't really get along, but no question, I'd have done it. Don't even know if I'd have been a match. Never got that far with it.

It's an interesting line of thought, though, for those of us on a weight management journey. What about liposuction? It can be VERY risky (people die all the time from it, especially if they have massive amounts done) and it has no element of doing it for another person (unless one is kidding oneself that they're doing it for a dh or bf or something). So to be thin, would we take the risk? (I wouldn't!) P.S. No offense to anyone who has had the lipo, just thinking aloud!

List followeth!
Old 09-10-2002, 01:50 AM   #63  
Empress/Queen

P.S. Justdoit: You could be like me and carry over your loss to the next deadline! Kind of a rollover type thing! Remember, we are THE POWER O' FIVE TEAM and we MAKE OUR OWN RULES!!! Let me know if you want the pound on there again!!!
Old 09-10-2002, 01:53 AM   #64  
Empress/Queen

AMARANTHA, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 15, DOWN 1.5

ANAGRAM, 2ND CHALLENGE, FIVE DOWN BY OCT. 4

BABETTE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 15

BYRD, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 16, DOWN 1

BOBSGAL, 3ND CHALLENGE, FIVE DOWN BY OCT. 1

DOLLAR, 2ND CHALLENGE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 24

DUSTCATCHER, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 13, DOWN 4

GUINEVER, 2ND CHALLENGE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 14

JUSDOIT, FIVE DOWN BY OCT. 14

KAYLETS, 2ND CHALLENGE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 30, DOWN 2

LEGGS02, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 18

PUNKINSEED, FIVE-PNT-FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 9, DOWN 4

RYCHERBABE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 25, DOWN 3

SARAHBELLA, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 23

UPANDAWAY, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 11

WSW, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 18, DOWN 2

Old 09-10-2002, 10:19 AM   #65  
Empress/Queen

Yo!!! Good-morning, POWER O' FIVE!!! (Robin Williams voice)

Amarantha hath received no word from Elbertine Pep since that pesky personal trainer debarked from the Sea O' Determination to the Land O' New Dreams. She thinketh EP is walking and repeating Amarantha's favorite mantra from "Aladdin" ... "New dreams for old, new dreams for old!"

Amarantha ended her eating day yesterday at 1670; did 80 minutes of exercise, some of which was a hike around lake in mountains where she was working! Very nice way to take a break! She traveleth today and her challenge is to do at least as good as yesterday, although calories can be higher if she wiseth and exercise can be less as she is tired.

She wisheth to remind the Power o' Five Team to continue to follow their fitness dreams as EP is doing! She wisheth to remind herself o' this twice!!!

WE CAN DO THIS!! YOU BET!!!
Old 09-10-2002, 12:08 PM   #66  

Default Good Tuesday Morning All

Thanks Amarantha! I'll start fresh and go for the 5 so that (like you said) when I reach my goal I'll have 6 down. Now all I need to do is convince myself I can do it AND get realistic about the calories I have been consuming. I need to work on this . I'd like to think that I've gained a pound of muscle instead of fat.....but I don't think that would make my pants tight around my waist .

I dragged my tired behind to the gym this a.m. for a treadmill run and weights. Now it's time to THINK before I eat for the rest of the day. I CAN DO THIS CUZ I HAVE THE POWER O'FIVE SUPPORTING ME!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2002, 12:23 PM   #67  
Is it Friday yet?

Hello all!

Kaylets.... yea, that's not an easy one. It would depend a lot on WHO it was I suppose. I have family that hasn't seen or spoken to my family since I was 4 weeks old. For them? No, I don't believe I could. For the family I actually *know* - yea, I probably would. If I died imagine the karmic payback I'd get in the next life!!! (yes, it's all about what I'd get back I guess)

Amarantha - Ooooh, Robin Williams! Have you seen the movie trailer for his new one where he plays a bad psycho guy??? OMG, he scared the crap outta me!
Now, would I do lipo? No. Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)? Abso-freakin'-lootly. I've already decided that about a year after I've lost what I want to loose, if my "apron" isn't vamoosed itself off my midsection, it's gone. Lipo is good if you're comfortable with it and have a genetic reason (inheriting Mom's saddle bags) where no exercise is ever going to work. I've seen my body thin - it's fine how it is. But after loosing and gaining I fear my belly won't bounce back this time. To me a tummy tuck is more than just an aesthetic thing - it's also a semi-health issue too when it comes to what happens to that fold - ouuuuuch!

I too would like to roll my 1 pound into my next challenge!!!!!
I, Punkin 'o Friday, would like to state my next 5 pound challenge..... I will have 5 pounds offa' my body by October 7th - the day before I leave for vacation!!!!!

Hugs, hugs,

Terri
Old 09-10-2002, 02:00 PM   #68  

For my kids or grandkids, I'd donate a kidney in a heartbeat. Probably for dh too (and that question may not be totally hypothetical either given his current problems). A lot would depend on whether he was a good candidte for one which is somewhat doubtful. Nor do I think he'd accept if the odds were 50-50. No longer would I for my mother (she would not be good candidate anyway) and would have to give very serious thought to whether or not I would for sibs. At one time, that would have been "in a heartbeat" too but now would require more analysis. For younger neices/nephews fairly likely. Not a straight out answer.

I have a dear friend and neighbor who received a kidney transplant from his brother a few years ago. I'm sure bro did his share of thinking about it but when the subject first came up his answer was immediate (as was a third brother's). One was a better match than the other. However, the odds were not as high as 50-50 and they were a much better than average match. My friend/neighbor is the kind of guy who would never have hesitated to donate to either brother as well. Knowing how much they went through re screening etc, I don't the surgeons would actually do it if the odds for the donor were 50-50. At one point they were turned down at a crucial point when something relatively small turned up. They went to another team and hospital who said they didn't think it was relevant enough and went ahead with a very successful transplant.

Last edited by anagram; 09-10-2002 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:24 PM   #69  

Your question about transplant, for my siblings in a heartbeat. you see I was adopted and in Dec 2001 my birth family found me I have 4 brothers (1 sister not yet found) 1 of the brothers died at age 3. Have met the three other brothers and I would give kidney to either of them no matter what the odds. The rest of my family yes in a blink of an eye I would give them one also. I would be so afraid after not having my brothers in mylife at all growing up I wouldn't want to lose them. Well time to go for weigh in I'll be back later to let you know how we did.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:43 PM   #70  

Smile tuesday pm

Oh my, how long has this warning about advertising been up where you post your reply? Did we do that w/ our discussion about the pyramid??? Empress A--- what do you know about this??

Crazy, wild, rollercoaster kind of day - almost like a thriller where as soon as you think you know what's going on, something else hits you from a completely different angle. Documents "supposedly" piggybacked in a fedex were delivered- everything was in the fedex but what I needed and client needed it NOWWWWWWWW-- but-- in all that ( yes, its true, I did see a silver lining not but 2 hrs after things calmed down) I was on my feet, moving,. and didnt have a chance to think about putting anything in my mouth - it hurt the water intake but we can fix that now--

Who mentioned Robin Williams new movie. He is a very special favorite of mine. There are only a few of his movies I didnt like (popeye) -- I am excited -- the reviews I've seen give him very high marks. Did you see Insommnia yet? I havent but didnt hear much about it; don't know if it was a weak film in general or just weak at the box office.

Empress A - I almost came looking for you last night- Was on the soapbox on another thread on another board. The topic was"
Has your life really changed since 9/11" I actually stayed up late posting. The general consensus was that most people felt that no, their lives were the same, that yes, 9/11 was sad but that they were tired of the "constant media attention". I tried to point out that using the word tragedy makes us forget 9/11 was an Attack- on all we know and enjoy.
I got a little carried away and was called on it ( I shouldnt have generalized that if the terrorists win that women were in danger of losing our basic right to education).
I had to post an apology early this am because I was too general. And I know I was wrong. The entire MidEast doesnt have the same beliefs.

Subject came up again at work (during the rollercoaster ride) but I kept my mouth closed. Now as I'm typing, NJ and DE have taken additional alert measures: NJ w/ National Guard, DE w/ law enforcement. and now I hear VP Cheney is in hiding.

Most of you know me has the first one to enjoy the humor of a situation-- but my anger about the attack on 9/11 has never been far below the surface. And I really hope that I am in the majority. A comment I saw last night said, " The terrorists arent' waiting for complacency, they were trying to start a war" I understood that comment to suggest , tried to get us to their part of the world. Or maybe I don't understand the comment at all.

I am way too long- sorry all--

One of many things I plan on doing tomorrow is lighting a candle that will burn outside near my front door. Similiar to last year, I think a week after 9/11. I will light mine about 7:30 pm est when its starting to get dark. I invite you to join me or to light yours about the same time your time zone. A symbol of unity.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:37 PM   #71  

Kaylets, I don't even know how to articulate what I feel about 9/11. I've heard many people say they're tired of all the hype, etc., but I don't think it can ever be too much. WE WERE ATTACKED! It's not like a natural disaster that's tragic, but we can get over it. This week I've been wearing a red/white/blue ribbon pin in memoriam. It's not much, but it's something. I had lunch with 4 friends today and I found it interesting that the subject never even came up. I'm so afraid that we are already forgetting and we are letting our guard down. And as long as I'm rambling, I don't think anyone who has never been to New York can have any idea of the magnitude of what happened. 17 SQUARE ACRES and THOUSANDS of lives. Wow! I only lived in the City for about a year, but I was overwhelmed by it's power. The thought of something so magnificent being brought down by terrorists is more than I can bear. And I realize that it's about the whole country not just NY, but NY is the greatest symbol of our country and its freedoms.

I'm so sorry I have rambled, but Kaylets made me do it . Seriously though, thanks Kaylets for sharing some of your feelings about this horrendous anniversary.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:02 PM   #72  

I don't see any warning on my reply screen.

We plan to go to a candlelight vigil tomorrow evening starting at seven. Don't plan to watch any tv tomorrow because I don't think I can stand to see that plane hitting the tower again.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:10 AM   #73  

Greetings, all! I moved over to this thread from the Labor Day one, because I felt silly to keep posting in an old thread! I lost again this morning -- 1 lb. -- so now I'm only .25 over my "low" weight that I was right before TOM struck. I am currently in a support group of over goal WW staff and at yesterday's meeting we issued our own challenge. Here it is:

Our Winning Outcome is to be down 8 lbs. (each, lol!) by our November 8th staff meeting. Here are the steps we'll take to reach our goal -- 1) Weigh in each morning and record it. 2) Exercise 4-5 times per week, 30 minutes minimum 3) Journal daily and save to share at support group 4) email each other weekly to check our progress.

I personally have lost 9 lbs. over the past 7 weeks, so I think it will be attainable for me as long as I stay focused. I am looking forward to posting here and getting support from you other "losers"!
Old 09-11-2002, 11:03 AM   #74  
Empress/Queen

Default Good-morning!

Hi, guys! I did not get back home until 2 a.m. last night. Did really well on my eating during traveling, walked a half hour in the mountains also.

Greetings, Chocolate!! Your WW challenge sounds like it will really get results. I think WW is a great program. It's great to have you on the Power O' Five team!!! Do you want to post a challenge for the list here ... we mostly do five pounds but could put you down for eight by Nov. 1 if you want? Whatever thou desireth shall be done!! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NINE POUNDS DOWN!!!

Kaylets: I've always seen the warning on the reply screen, but it is now in red. I wonder if the Leslie tape discussion occasioned it? Probably just a general thing, but then I don't see why it's not on everyone's screen. I am going to email Suzanne and ask. She's very nice and I don't think she'd mind. I would never be involved in spam ... I just shared my liking for the WATP tapes but have no interest in whether anyone buys them!!! I don't see that the food pyramid discussion could be construed as advertising ... just the wanderings of the minds of weight watchers!

Re the media ... I'm one of them, so guess I'm not objective on that head, but I can't really see how 9/11 could be covered too much as it was a major event that I believe has started what maybe will become the third world war. I also agree, though, that this is exactly what the parties who advocate war and hatred want to happen. I remember that this board is an international one and try to remain objective, but I do support my country and it's decisions, though don't always agree with every detail or every expression of them. But I think 9/11 went beyond nationalism with its implications and I think this is a sad anniversary.

And, in all honesty, Kaylets, you have every dang right to express any opinion you want to express in a discussion, 'cause that's what freedom is about! So go to it, kid, and climb on the any ol' time!

To all, I wish you a safe and peaceful day! Emp. A. will returneth tomorrow!

We didn't do much with it in the papers I work for.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:10 PM   #75  
Is it Friday yet?

Good morning all and blessed Patriot's Day...

Kaylets, we're all passionate about what happened in the U.S. We were attacked and the loss was tragic, but to keep referring to it as a "tragedy" solely does rob the event of the magnitude of devistation both emotionally and literally and the fact that it was done TO us by another human force - this was no "accident". The 7.1 earthquake in '89 in California was a tragedy, the events of 9/11 was an act of terrorism aimed at destroying us. Big difference.... Ok, now I too will get off the .

I noticed the advertising warning a few days ago. I don't believe it had anything to do with us talking about the pyramid - we weren't trying to sell it! I think the warning is for people who come on here saying "I did XYZ and it worked for me! You can buy it by calling......" or something like that. Saying we've used a product is one thing - trying to hock it to others on the list is a

Also, that was me that mentioned Robin Williams - I LOVE him, but the last 2 rolls have been creepy! First Insomnia (which I haven't seen yet) and now the film about photo finishing. I think it's awsome that he's expanding his skills, it's just a bit creepy to see Mrs. Doubtfire threatening people!

Chocolate - Welcome to the group! I think it's awsome that you have a WW staff meeting for those over goal. I was a leader for almost 3 years. When I started going over goal no one said anything. If anything the other staffers wanted to give me a fake weigh-in - that didn't help! I loved working there though, a lot of fun...

Well everyone, guess I should get some work done! Kaylets, I'll be lighting a candle with you tonight. I put out my flag this morning too.

Big hugs all...

Terri
Closed Thread