Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 10:18 AM   #16  
Empress/Queen

Hooray, RycherBabe is in the room! Please read Amarantha's new edict about small weight gains (THEY DON'T EXIST)!! Updating you on the list above with an edit!!! Thanks!!!
Old 09-04-2002, 10:51 AM   #17  
Empress/Queen

AMARANTHA, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 15, DOWN 1.5

ANAGRAM, 2ND CHALLENGE, FIVE DOWN BY OCT. 4

BABETTE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 15

BYRD, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 16, DOWN 1

BOBSGAL, 2ND CHALLENGE, SIX DOWN BY OCT. 1

DOLLAR, 2ND CHALLENGE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 24

DUSTCATCHER, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 13, DOWN 4

GUINEVER, 2ND CHALLENGE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 14

JUSDOIT, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 9, DOWN 2

KAYLETS, 2ND CHALLENGE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 30

LEGGS02, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 18

PUNKINSEED, FIVE-PNT-FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 9, DOWN 4

SARAHBELLA, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 23

RYCHERBABE, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 25, DOWN 3

UPANDAWAY, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 11

WSW, FIVE DOWN BY SEPT. 18, DOWN 2

Old 09-04-2002, 12:47 PM   #18  

Default Anagram, Bobsgal, Dollar, Daughter, Guinever, Kaylets

CONGRATULATIONS on those well deserved bags o'gold awarded to you by Elbertine Pep. You guys RULE!

About the scale this morning.....DON'T ASK !!! It's just not fair because today is day 7 of my workout challenge which was a 40 minute lap swim. I have been SO GOOD about exercising. Didn't I deserve that extra piece of carrot cake....a few extra chips.....a glass or two of vino.... ?

On goal day Monday (9/9) I shall assess the damage/success and make a new goal accordingly. In the meantime I shall forge ahead like a good soldier exercising and perhaps making some better food choices .

Amarantha, Terri, Patti and anyone else not mentioned above, WE CAN AND WILL DO THIS because we are THE POWER O'FIVE.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:36 PM   #19  

By dint of two extremely arduous days of water, workouts and modest amounts of food, I have managed to wrest a "maintain" from the jaws of the monstrous weekend just past. This is (sob) the first week of this journey that I have not posted at least a modest loss and I am chastened.

By holding on to the POWER OF FIVE, I hope to amend my ways and move on.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:01 PM   #20  
Is it Friday yet?

Since this thread is about setting specific goals with deadlines moreso than any of the others I thought I'd share this with you. Feel free to cut n' paste if you'd like to share, but thank the author!

This is in this month's Costco Connection, by Rhonda Abrams titled "Life Strategies" - it's about getting what you want accomplished. I've never heard of her, but one of her rules apparently is "if you want something, you have to do something" - I like that.

1. Set a goal - This is harder than it looks. Generally, we have an idea of what we'd like - to be more successful, healthier, happier - but we stop there. Vague desires aren't goals; they're dreams. Remember another Rhonda's Rule: "You can't reach a goal you haven't set."

2. Understand and accept the tradeoffs - Every goal has unpleasant aspects. Identify the good things - "I want to make more money" and the less good - "I have to work harder". Understand the downsides, and accept them as necessary to the process.

3. Commit to your goal - Being ambivalent is disastrous. Success does not come from - or to - wishy-washy people.

4. Set a deadline - Deadlines give goals a framework for action. You can't reach a goal without a meaningful deadline.

5. Commit to the deadline - Commitment is critical for making changes. Make your deadline mean something.

6. Tell people - Make your goal tangible by sharing it with others. Say it out loud and put it on paper. Often.

7. Outline intermediate steps - Things don't go from here to there without passing through some middle territory. It's easier to take many small steps than one big leap.

8. Get help - Since we have to do things that are new to us, we're inexperienced. Often, it's best to get professional help, but even friends or colleagues can assist. On you journey to your new goal, you don't have to make the trip alone. (amen to that!)

9. Take action. Soon! - Your resolve can slip - and then time goes by. Take the first step now. The sooner you do, the more likely you are to achieve your ultimate goal.

10. Commit again - And again. For changes to occur, you have to embrace them over and over. Take it step by step - but keep moving forward - and a year from now, you'll find you've moved from here to there.

Enjoy,

Terri
Old 09-04-2002, 04:43 PM   #21  

This is such a great place I told the poeple at weight watchers last night how great you all are it is like having a meeting at my finger tips whenever I want. Keep up the good stuff. One more acheivement today I managed to get into my daughter's jeans today she can no longer wear them because they are too big for her now. It is so nice to be wearing a size 18 for the first time in 16 years. Havve a great evening everyone and keep up the great inspiration for us all.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:26 PM   #22  

Default Wed evening

Hello all!!

I thought of Halloween but didnt think there would be that much interest-- We can easily do a thread for Halloween -- I know just going grocery shopping can be sooooo tempting with the special displays.

Dollar and Daughter!! AMAZING!! You are a wonderful example of staying the course!!

Punkinseed, thanks for posting the Life Strategies--

Empress A- The new edict is a very wise one-

All newcomers, welcome !!

Don't know exactly why but about 1pm yesterday, I had the worst stomach ache. Double dose of Mylanta helped till about 5 when I felt miserable again. Only had toast spread very thin w/ Laughing Cow and chicken bouillon for supper and went to bed.
This am, more of the same so I stayed with the toast. Starting to feel more like myself now but I'll tell you, that stomach ache was bad. I wouldnt wish that on anybody.

anyway... I am rambling--

time to check out the 21 day challenge
Old 09-04-2002, 07:56 PM   #23  
Opera Diva

Kaylets - I'm so sorry about your stomach ache, I know what it's like to have one of those unexplained pains and can't do anything about it. That's when my mind starts to wander to all the horrible things it could be....just before it goes away and I'm fine

Anyway, I'm all settled in at school - classes just started. I'd fogotten how busy that make you! So running around all day makes it difficult to eat at regular times, but I think I'm managing to stay within a good range. Yesterday I even turned down free pizza! Anyway, I wanted to write this post to say that I'm going running in an hour - I feel like if I write it, I have a far better chance of actually doing it And, it the gym got a new (and not quite as broken as last year's) scale, I'll be able and make my first update!

Yea! Genevieve
Old 09-04-2002, 08:44 PM   #24  
Empress/Queen

Drive-by post! I really am running late! Wouldn't want to miss the six-hour school board meeting, would I?

Punkinseed: I LOVED the article on goal setting. I adore setting goals ... not only for fitness, but for life, work, etc. Don't always meet 'em but they help my aging scattered brain to focus and make life more fun.

Speaking of which, I did NOT meet my goal of saving the final slimfast cans for premeeting, but I'm cool as I had 'em when my body needed 'em. BTW, Punkin, slimfast (which I love) used to be a heavy trigger food for me until I started drinking it over ice. Think it dilutes it just enough and slows down the absorption or something, but it totally satisifes and I don't need the whole carton plus 15 dulce de leche milks and a candy bar to follow!

Justdoit: YES WE CAN DO IT BECAUSE x 5!!! YOU BET!!! Don't worry, maintenance is WONDERFUL!!! Gotta do it sometime, consider it practice for the rest of your life!!! Update when it pleaseth thee!

GOOD NEWS!!! DOLLAR FIT INTO DAUGHTER'S JEANS!!!! That means, both Dollar and Daughter are going to have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe soon, methinks!!! Great work, D&D!!

Kaylets, of Meditations/Mediations: Sorry you have a stomach ache ... yuck! (Is cheese the best idea, though? Dairy can aggravate stomach pain for me, don't know about anyone else. Cold water over cracked ice is the only thing that ever helps me, wonderful water ... ). Get better.

Guinever: Sounds like you are having fun at school and RUNNING, too! That is great!!! Keep going! I added a few jogs to my a.m. walk and reading your post reminds me how much I used to like running before I couldn't do it anymore (I intend to get back there, though)!!!

My nine new Leslie tapes came today, but no walking belt. They are sending it, though. I had one of these before and gave it to the friend who told me I was a bad person and sent me emails for 36 hours complaining about my bad character. I doubt if I will ever see it again, so I really wanted the new one. I did the Walk Away Stress tape in her honor!!!

Got to go to work! Bye all! Don't forget WE CAN DO THIS BECAUSE WE HAVE THE POWER O' FIVE!!! WHO WILL WIN THE NEXT FIVE BAGS O' (VIRTUAL) GOLD FROM THE IMPERIAL STOREHOUSE?? Will it be Amarantha herself? Probably not, but let's all get out there and GO FOR IT!! (Ok?)
Old 09-05-2002, 10:00 AM   #25  
Empress/Queen

Default Yo!

It is I, Elbertine Pep, personal trainer to royalty!!! Amarantha hath asked me to post her update on yesterday, which is that she finished eating at 1790 calories and managed two 30 minute exercise sessions. One of these was her new WATP, of which she bought nine. She pledges she will justify this expense by doing a Leslie tape each day (not just the new ones) until further notice and mix it into her exercise rotations. SHE WILL SUCCEED (I tell her) BECAUSE SHE HATH THE POWER!!!

Amarantha wanteth to remind all members of the Power O' Five that there is now a prize to all winners of this challenge, who will collect FIVE (that's 5-0) (VIRTUAL) BAGS O' GOLD from the Imperial Treasury of E. Amarantha each time they reach their challenge goal (adjustments and exemptions allowed at the discretion of each TEAM player)!!! WHAT COULD BE BETTER THAN THAT?

So, yay team!!! Never give up that ship! Who's better than us? No one!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!! You bet!
Old 09-05-2002, 10:30 AM   #26  
Is it Friday yet?

Happy Friday-eve!

I fell off the wagon last night. Fell hard... weighed myself this morning just so I could see the gastly number and scare myself straight. It just may have worked because it showed I was up 4 pounds ... I have my day planned and will follow my menu written in my journal. I even left enough room for some popcorn to crunch while watching my 49er's season opening game tonight.

Kaylets - How are you feeling this morning? Better I hope! I think the Halloween thread is a great idea! For me it's not just the matter of candy but also a major Pagan holiday (new year) so it will probably be a food-fest.

Guinever - You passed up free ?!?!?!!?

Amarantha - What are these walking tapes?? I keep hearing about Leslie someone but I know naaahthing...

That's all from me for now, Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho,

Terri
Old 09-05-2002, 05:28 PM   #27  
Empress/Queen

Punkin: Leslie Sansone started making "Walkaerobics" tapes years and years ago ... had a studio in Pennsylvania (I think it was Pennsylvania) for this walking in place, anybody could follow aerobics program. These were the only tapes I could do when I was really overweight; I've been collecting them for years. They kind of mimic all the popular fitness crazes over the decades but interpret them through the Walkaerobics format. Some people on the fitness boards don't like Leslie (she talks a lot) and don't like the tapes because of poor production values, especially in the earlier ones. I find these things fun and Leslie motivating and I like the exercise, which incorporates upper body and strength moves as well. There are also some weights and/or toning tapes ... one is really strange with Leslie and crew sitting on floor doing bicep curls, etc.! Sometime, though, Leslie (along with Richard Simmons, The Firm and others, I guess) licensed ... or sold ... don't know ... their products and names to Goodtimes Marketing. Enough said on that ... the new tapes produced under Goodtimes are Walk Away the Pounds (WATP) and as in all Goodtimes ventures, they are marketed in kits, with stuff you have to buy even if you don't want them, such as supplements, etc. The tapes really ARE good and I like the old toning belt I had with earlier Leslies but gave away. Don't know if it will have the quality it had before ... GT has problems with that kind of thing and with charging people (including me) even when they try to NOT buy stuff! So that's why I said it's best (IMO) to buy the tapes from another source than Leslie's website. But they ARE good tapes if you enjoy this workout. Some fitness board folk think Leslie is too tame and turn up their buff noses at her, but all the Walkaerobics tapes (even the senior ones) can be done with greater intensity (e.g., double time, add jogs, heavier weights), etc. You could do them with your grandmother and each get a good workout.

Sorry for going on at length. The upshot is if she's your cup o' brew, the tapes are great. If not, you can trade 'em on ebay!
Old 09-05-2002, 06:05 PM   #28  
Is it Friday yet?

Hmmmm, sounds interesting Amarantha! Thank you!!

Terri
Old 09-05-2002, 06:47 PM   #29  

Smile Thursday

Hello all!

I am feeling a lot better- not 100% but much better- havent had to stay home although I couldve easily taken a nap both yesterday and today. But thanks for asking!!!

I need to get back on the water routine- I knew I had not been drinking the usual amount but had a vivid reminder during a trip to the ladies room today. Its amazing how bright yellow can be a real warning signal.

So, because I wasnt eating much more than bread and wasnt getting in much water, I expect once I do feel better my body will say " resist, not enough food coming in" -- I am not stressing becuase afterall, I'm not feeling good but I really sense a "maintenance" week coming up. Or perhaps even a gain--
Funny how not eating can sometimes have the opposite effect.

I'll check in later
Old 09-06-2002, 08:15 AM   #30  

Good morning ladies
Kaylets glad to hear you are feeling better. Well I just extended my vacation by one day my son is home sick from school so I have to take another day off "what a shame". I actually do like my job. Well we may have found the solution to my headaches and dizziness and just plain stupidness. I have been getting treated for high blood pressure for years well now that I have lost all thihs weight it has been coming down. After the accident they put me on a drug that tends to increase your pressure. Now that Im off of it my pressure is low and Im still on my blood pressure meds. So Im now trying to decrease them because one is a water pill and the meds can wash away your electrolytes so by cutting my water pill in half I already feel better. So hopefully this is the fix it and in time I should be off all my meds.
Remember what I said about too much water well this is very much the same thing the water pill removes more water from my system as well. Sure is nice to know that it could be something as simple as that and not from my head injury. Well have a great Fri and weekend folks I have to work all weekned so Im not sure I'll be here but have a good one.
Closed Thread