Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #16  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I used to beat myself up for any tiny slip with a whole lot of negative talk - "you can't do this, you'll just have to like being fat", "you're lazy", and "you don't deserve to look and feel good". Stuff like that. We would NEVER say that kind of thing to a friend - we'd have her/his back. One day I noticed that difference when a friend called to cry on my shoulder, and I decided to try treating myself more like that - supportive and encouraging. It works surprisingly well!
Yes, this rings true with me, and I have a lot of work to do in this area. The way I talk to myself sometimes is just abysmal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
I'd look at myself in the mirror and think "Ugh, you're so fat and ugly...you don't deserve a cheeseburger." And then I'd start feeling hungry, I'd look at myself again and think "Whatever, you're a lost cause...screw it, eat all the cheeseburgers you want." Needless to say, I didn't look in the mirror very often.
Yep, I do this all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I'll just say I don't think it's a coincidence that I dramatically changed my diet and sedentariness a month or two after I quit putting off buying some nice clothes and started fixing myself up a little every day.
*Sigh* I wear the same type of outfit all the time; I call it my uniform. Jeans, a loose top, running shoes. Hate going to buy clothes, though, and I hate dressing up for anything. I'm not looking forward to the Xmas party season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
It's about striving to be a better person, because I feel that's where self-esteem really comes from. When we are loving towards others, when we go outside ourselves to help and to make a difference for other people, then (IMO) self-esteem follows. Trying to manufacture self-esteem just by thinking "what a great chick you are!" about myself has never really worked for me. Actions, to me, are what result in good feelings about myself.
Yes, I get this too. But sometimes I think I run around so much for others that I squeeze myself out of the equation (and then I get mad at the others )

Quote:
Originally Posted by megwini View Post
I weigh less than I have ever weighed before (and 20 pounds less than what I weighed for most of my life) and I feel no different. I used to think that once I was no longer overweight, everything would suddenly be different. All my problems would go away and suddenly I'd be normal and just like everyone else...

Nope, still me. Same problems. Same personality.
I think this is true, too. Around 2000, I weighed 129 for a while. It felt great to be able to pull on anything hanging in my closet at that time but, as you say, same problems, same personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydoe View Post
My worth wasn't based on what I could do or what I have done or how much money I made/make or what I looked like or what I weighed or if I had a dh or not. I am worthy today. Because I am me.
I have a hard time with this one; I feel like I haven't done enough with my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I had to care enough about myself to COMMIT to a healthy lifestyle and stop settling for a horrible, inferior quality of life. I had to care about myself ENOUGH to take the time to eat right and exercise. I had to care about myself ENOUGH to do whatever is necessary to get and stay healthy. I had to realize that I am worth it.
I need to get here - care enough about myself to commit to living well.

Chicks, thanks so much for the input. You've given me a lot of food for thought.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote