Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #1  
Again, shall we?

S/C/G: 400/376/180

Height: 5'10"

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again #1028

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for the Amazon "store" in the upper right hand corner of the screen on the PURPLE tool bar. A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #2  
Again, shall we?

S/C/G: 400/376/180

Height: 5'10"

Patti- sorry to hear the FFM is still hasn’t stopped by- I’m sure she’s on her way- must have been caught in traffic Sorry to hear the headache is back again. I hope you get to feeling better. you really had me laughing with your post about your hubby’s b-day! You could try making that cake with the diet soda…it was in a post here not too long ago. Either way good luck!

Lilion- it makes absolute sense that you are appreciating the things in life you could never have considered before- I am so happy for you!! What a great feeling to be able to enjoy even more of life.

Sharon- I wish I had your will power- chocolates, open or closed are too much to bear when in my house. How sweet about the 70 year old man- he sounds so kind, and it’s so great of you all to be so kind to him, especially with the loss of his wife. Glad to hear you’ve been able to stay OP even with family in- that’s always hard. Keep it up!

Valerie- I’m so happy to report that not only did I order exactly as I had planned, but found myself feeling full before I was finished! I saved the rest to eat for dinner today or lunch tomorrow!*edit-my fiancé is eating it right now- so I guess I can forget trying to make room for those calories.* I can’t remember the last time I went to a restaurant and could honestly say I felt full before the plate was clean- typically I would order a box to force myself to eat less. And last night I had left room for enough calories for the whole dinner, so I came in under calories. I’m very excited, and it makes me less nervous about eating out in the future- although I will still be sure to plan what I eat. What a great compliment- doesn’t it feel great when others see what you are trying to see, but aren’t confident in? Congrats!

Melissa- yeah! I’m crossing my fingers for your official weigh in to be everything you’ve been working for—so patiently. Congrats!

Brandnewme- congrats on the 8 pounds down!! What a great motivator to keep going! Sounds like you are doing great- keep it up- can’t wait to see more pounds disappear!

Vicky- Sorry to hear you are up a bit- did you weigh at the same time of day? It seems that if you weigh at night you weigh more than in the morning, after exercising you weigh more than before, with clothes, etc. There are a lot of little tricks that might be messing with you. Just keep it up, and I would check to see if you are doing anything (it’s usually something small like chewing gum or mints) that could be throwing off your diet. Good luck- we’re all cheering for you!

Amanda- sorry to hear you had a rough day yesterday- TOM always contributes to making a not great day seem horrible. Keep your chin up! I’m sure that once TOM is gone you will see the weight start dropping again- evil TOM keeps it up. You are so right about training classes- they always put crappy food out. The good news is I didn’t eat it, I ate what I brought and a piece of bread (which I had planned on). I was very proud of myself- and didn’t get the horrible headache I had last time.

Katt- congrats on the outfit and xl pants- that’s great! I wish I lost more on my bottom, I tend to lose all my weight in my chest- the last place I need to lose! I guess I should just be happy to lose, right? How exciting about seeing the house and the sign, it’s yours!!

Zelma- yeah- I probably wouldn’t have gone to work out, but I had made plans to meet a friend there at 6:30a and she would not have been happy to have gotten up early and me not be there! That’s the benefit of having someone meeting you, and lately I’ve had a lot of friends to work out with. I kind of got this healthy thing going on around the people I work closest with and so any given day I could be meeting between 1 and 4 people at the gym- real motivation to keep going. I even find myself realizing that I am in better shape than they are. Not that I’m saying I’m in good shape, but even though they are thin, I can physically handle a rougher workout than they can—they are panting while I’m doing fine- really makes me feel good to know that while I may be overweight I can really handle the physical activity. Hearing you talk about maintaining and the room it gives you to be more flexible on exercise just excites me- I can’t wait to get there (although- I guess I have too, huh?) Dinner went good (I already explained in my response to Valerie )

Misti- what a great compliment—it’s always a surprise to me when people have noticed my commitment and an even bigger surprise to know that they are talking about me and jealous!! I bet that was a real boost for you- and it sounds like the FFM should be coming soon- all the extra work you are doing! Good luck! Oh- and have fun at the park- it sounds nice!

Okay- this was my first time starting a new post- sorry if I messed it up. I've been so busy I haven't checked in since yesterday morning. all is good- just trying to do lots of homework. I weighed on Friday and it was the same as wednesday. Although since Wednesday TOM has come, so I'm thinking that would have been down. I'll wait to check again until Friday- like I'm supposed to. Well I do have lots more school work to do. Everyone have a great day!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #3  

Hi Ladies - I think today we finally get to go swimming, lol. We are planning on going for 5-7pm tonight...but we will see...things always seem to come up. So as of yesterday I am already over 1/2 done my exercise goal, woo hoo!! The scale was kinda mean today...but I will take it all in stride...if I see 322.5 on my scale one more time I'm going to throw it out! That number is taunting me! Well I got a few days left to try to make a dent on my ticker yet. Hope everyone is doing well...I'm off to search for my goggles for swimming. Stay OP chickies!

Melissa
Old 10-07-2006, 06:45 PM   #4  

kim all this temptation my hubby should be ashamed.. he knows i want to be good til thanksgivng!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #5  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Hey guys
Sorry I havent been around much. Still doing OK as far as staying OP. I went out to eat on Friday but I didn't do any harm as far as fat and sodium were concerned. I know I went over my calories though!

Steven had his surgery Friday afternoon. All is well besides a little bruising so I am staying busy with waiting on him hand and foot. Unfortunately he has a tray of LOTS of goodies next to him. Licorice, oreos, chocolate bars, cheesies, pringles....the list goes on. I am doing OK all things considered and am trying to limit what I have while I am up there with him. Let me tell ya, its not easy!

Tomorrow I have to get through Turkey dinner at moms. I am bringing dessert so I know that I can at least have that. I am making mini oreo cheesecakes, mine is minus the oreo on the bottom

I see I am behind 3 threads now. I'm just pickin away at responses but will do what I can.

Zelma ~I too need to comment on your Freedom post. I only have one thing to say, "Thank you"

brandnewme~ Welcome back

Sharon~ Good to know you are OP Great job on losing 3lbs!

Vicky~ Stay positive! The scale will catch up

Newsnerd~ WTG on 7lbs down!!!

Melissa~ Great job on all the exercise! You are smok-in!

Valerie~ 3lbs for you... whoohoooo

Lavendel~ Nice new pic in your avatar.... its lovely!!!!

Abbeycat~ Glad to hear you are working on coming out of your funk....

Phew.... dinner is ready so I am off for the night.... have a great one girls! See you tomorrow!

Brenda
Old 10-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hi everyone. I'm behind so many posts I don't think I can catch up. I did want to say to Zelma, I sit here with tears falling down my face because you have said so many things about how I feel. I swear, I really am so thankful I read that today. I am doing well. Staying op and I even went to ww this morning and lost another 5 pounds but some days its so hard. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the Freedom words. I can't even imagine not checking the seats before we eat out. I don't know how it will feel to have that kind of freedom but I sooooo want it. I'm trying with all my heart to get healthy and continue to eat right and exercise daily. Thank you for helping me to remember a few more reasons why!

Congrats to all the loosers. To those struggling, huge hugs to you. Glad to see you back Brandnewme.

Blessings to you all,
Annie
Old 10-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi everybody! Brenda, so glad things went well with the surgery and that you are resisting all those goodies!

Patti, yay for you in getting rid of the cake.... but you WERE right IMO to be sure he had a birthday cake. Good for you! And yeah eventually that FFM will remember where we live!

That hill this morning was sooooooooooooooooooooooo steep! Even as used to all the hard walking as I am and our big hills around here, this one was WOW! I am aching. I think I am just worn out also as I went to bed really early last night and also slept and read all afternoon today. Yikes, didn't get anything done but it felt good!

Congratulations to everyone for staying OP!!!! Keep going!!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #8  

Not sure where I am supposed to post first so here I am. I sooo need support. No, what I need most is motivation. I wish that came in a pill, or a shot...lol....I really do. I just HATE exercise.....nothing makes it fun for me. A buddy to walk with would be great. Anyway, I pretty much am following Sugar Busters for now. I started on Sept. 29 so not long ago. I have yet to start exercising though. If I am posting in the wrong spot let me know and I will post elsewhere. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Blessings,
Kelly
Old 10-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 303.5/see ticker/153.5

Height: 5'5"

Not a lot of time to post tonight, but I wanted to thank you all for your support. Today was a much better day! I also wanted to welcome Kelly to the group. These ladies are amazing. If you want some true inspiration, go back a few threads and read what Zelma wrote about FREEDOM. It was truly moving I hope you enjoy yourself with us. Please let me know if there's anything specific you need help with. Again, welcome!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #10  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

ZELMA, you jump up there on that soapbox Any Time You Want To! It seems I wasn’t the only one you deeply touched, and not for the first time. Have a beautiful day, my friend!

KATT – Congrats on the NSV! The only thing better that something moving into the Sooooon end of the closet, is when they make it to the Perfect end. No doubt that outfit will be perfect any day now!

MISTI, I hope you had a beautiful walk and didn’t get lost like SOME people :blush: I could mention… if I was in a confessing mood. I hope that FFM finds her directions to your house SOON!!! Way cool about the FedEx driver giving you that NSV!!

PATTI – Happy Birthday to your DH! Did he get a birthday spanking for tempting you with that cake? Good idea to toss the leftovers out. My housemate doesn’t understand how I can stand to throw away ‘perfectly good food’, but I just think of how hard I’m going to have to kick, march, punch and sweat to get rid of it if I DON’T toss it. There’s some ice cream in the fridge right now that I’m just dying to get rid of. She eats in once, and then it just sits there and takes up space that I could be shoving a Lean Cuisine in to.

LAVANDEL – I love your new picture avatar! I totally agree with you – Soda is poison! Every time I read something new about the stuff, I’m more disgusted.

ANGIE – Glad you’re back, and don’t worry about missing lots of posts – the test was yesterday, but you can do the make-up test whenever you like. Seriously, I’m sorry you had such a rough week, and I’m glad you’re feeling better!

KIM
– Isn’t that cool that GOOD food makes you fuller and more satisfied than all the HoHo s in Texas ever could? Good for you, sticking to plan and not even finishing!!! I don’t think I even need to, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed that next Friday’s WI shows that the FFM has been at your house.

MELISSA, the way you’re going after that exercise this month, the 320’s will all be history very soon!! WTG!!

BRENDA – Good job staying OP with all that temptation so close!!! I don’t know that I could handle that. I don’t miss it when it’s gone, but I haven’t reached a point (yet?) where I can turn it down. I hope Steven is better soon!

ANNIE, I know what you mean – that Zelma is a real tear jerker, isn’t she?! On the 5 pounds down!! Go Girl!!!

KELLY! You posted in JUST the right place! The posts move fast here, but don't worry if you miss some now and then. We don't give tests. I'm not familiar with Sugar Busters, but it sounds like something that would have helped me get started. South Beach got me 'clean' and started, but I don't follow it strictly anymore. We're all on different plans, because different things work best for different people, but we all have one goal - healthier, happier days ahead. I'm glad you're here and have started your own journey. Feel free to check out some of the other local threads like One week, One habit or the Exercise thread (it's a Sticky at the top of the 300+ page.) We aren't competeing against anyone else, we're each just trying to take little steps amd make commitments in the right direction. The only way to fail is to give up, so C'mon! Let's do this thing!

HEY! I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

I Finally figured out how to post a picture on the pic page. I only put one up, from back in my 335-340 days. It was taken at the 2002 county fair with my dear little Nina on her lovely horse, Heza Solo Goose - or Goose for short. He was originally my SD's horse. Isn't he pretty? And SHE is one of the most beautiful girls in the world, inside and out! Anyway, I'll get something more recent taken and posted now that I know how.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:22 PM   #11  

Hi everybody!

Kelly... So glad to have you here, and yep you chose a GREAT section to begin your posting in. These are the most supportive and encouraging chicks EVER! As someone else mentioned the threads move fast here and the number changes often but we all just keep up with what we can!! You're right... motivation doesn't come in a pill... but if we learn to realize it is not a FEELING but a DECISION and commitment we can make it! Let me encourage you to learn to think differently about exercise. When I first joined here I saw someone had posted a slogan that said "If you love the results, learn to love the process." Now I admit I don't ALWAYS feel that way but at times I have to remind myself of those words and keep at it!! I'm not very familiar with SB although I had a friend who did it once... but I am not into diets personally at all but just eating right and moving my butt... so perhaps others here will be more helpful in that area.

Amanda, glad you had a better day today! Keep going!

Katt, love the post of your collections!!! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Valerie, thanks for posting the picture! I love to see photos of everyone and their interests, etc.!!!

Everybody hang in there and stay OP!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:42 PM   #12  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

Hi there everyone .. my hunny is watching Bathurst (LOOOOOOOONG car race in Aussie ... argghh) ... but I managed to get my Richard in before he took over the tv lol .. fortunately its only on once a year rofl.

I am determined to see the 280s this week ... this morning Im at 291 so Im aiming for it determinedly (is that a word??) this week .. weigh in is on Friday .. but I figure as long as I get Richard done every day and stay OP I should be ok

KELLY- WELCOME on in! Of course you can post here .. we love to have new gals (and guys of course) join in ... and we are here for motivation, inspiration and support whenever you need it If you want to know anything just ask .. Im sure someone on here will know the answer and dont ever think youre on your own ... I am sure that there are plenty on here that are going through or have gone through whatever you face on your new healthy journey Looking forward to seeing you on the boards

BRANDNEWME - WELCOME back on board!! Its great to see you back on and with a vengence from the look of that 8lb loss!! WTG hun! And great on the stairs too! Im not sure if I could do that ... not so much due to the distance .. but the height ... Im not very good looking down stairs .. going up isnt that much of an issue but down I need someone in front of me so I cant see the bottom lol. Great on the soda reduction too and the H2O increase ... definitely a big step in the right direction

VICKY - Sorry to hear about your weight gain hun .. esp when you stay OP and exercise and its not a visit from TOM .. BUT its great that you are sticking to your plan and Im sure your body is just wondering what is going on before it decides to let the extra start to fly off as Im sure it will Definitely makes me feel very proud of you not giving in to the "D**N IT" weight gain

NEWSNERD - Great news on you feeling better .. and the WEIGHT LOSS too!! Is that in a week or do you have weigh ins over a longer time!? That sure is a lot to lose in a week! Good on you getting back into the exercise this week too ... wow if that weight loss is from slacking with the exercise you are gonna be flyin with the exercise added back in!! rofl. Hope you had fun at the fair .. sounds like a blast!

AMANDA - Im so sorry about your breakdown .. things do tend to build up and hit all at once dont they? Please be proud of yourself for how well you have done and how well you know how to do. I know its frustrating when your scales arent being co-operative .. Im sure when I hit my first big plateau I will be questioning everything I do or think lol .. but just know that you are doing well (as the inches show) and even better youre healthier because of your new food/exercise choices Huggies

MELISSA - Wow ... you could walk the world at the rate youre goin .. I feel tired just seeing how much you walk lol ... what sort of rate do you walk?? Is it a quick pace or a steady pace or a stroll .. or a mix?? Uphill?? Flats?? Both?? How you doin at Pogo?? Got that stupid Quack badge yet?? I still havent even got halfway for that .. keep gettin sleepy after about 4-5 games lol.

SHARON - Even funnier about "getting Richard in" .. my hunny Scoot .. his real name is Richard rofl ... so I have my 2 Richards Thanks for your words about my dad .. I didnt mean to make anyone cry about it lol ... I looked on everything that happened in my past as something that was a learning curve ... I know people have asked me if I would ever change anything that happened in my past .. all the bad stuff at least .. but I wouldnt change a thing ... I have reached a point where I like who I am (still working on the loving myself lol) .. so why would I want to change it? Took tooo darn long to get to the like me point lol. WTG on your weight loss .... esp with TOM visiting .. I must admit I enjoy the weight loss when I have that visitor more than any other time rofl ... mind you .. he visits me for about half of every month anyway lol.

ZELMA - Dad wanted to spend one more Crayfishing season out at the coast in his little house (he built most of it) before he loses it to his ex .. so we were elated that the woman that was selling the house wanted to stay in there until March ... he can move in the day after his birthday!! (March 31!).
Scoot is most definitely a keeper .. even if he does drive me nuts on numerous occasions and he isnt the most romantic (never had a Valentine ... or an anniversary pressie .. oh .. got one of those last year lol ... 4th anniversary) ... or demonstrative ... and he is a little judgemental .. oh boy .. he isnt sounding good rofl .. BUT ... he lets me get away with murder ... doesnt tell me Im not allowed to do anything (well ... he does but I ignore him and he doesnt go nuts about it rofl)... I suppose he is a subtle romantic .. and he is a softie at heart tho he doesnt like ppl to know that rofl. He even managed to surprise me once (yes .. only once in almost 5 years lol .. Very little surprises me nowadays .. he has given up on trying to do something as a surprise for me I think ... but never say never lol). Very happy my mum badgered me to join an online site to meet people or I never would have met him ... .not that I will tell my mum that rofl.
Great work on your treadmill and I am reallllly glad your blood work and other tests came back clear and ok .. maybe your "off" feeling was due to the stress of Slimming comp etc and what happened .. I know that stress can cause some weird side effects that dont show up in any sort of tests.

PATTI - Great goin on the NSV ... esp when it comes to clothing ... its like a good and bad thing really isnt it?? When you lose weight all your fave clothes are too big and then you have to replace them (unless you are very talented with a sewing machine lol). Caffeine is something I have cut right down and almost out of my diet ... I have the odd Coke Zero (about 1-2 cups a week) .. and the occasional Mocha ... but thats it .. I used to drink about 20 cups of coffee a day!!! I reckon I had caffeine running thru my veins rather than blood .. I remember when I quit it cold turkey tho I felt like crap for weeks lol .. but it was worth it once I got it all out Oh no about the birthday cake .. and that has just reminded me that dad is bringing in a banana chocolate cake with him tomorrow ... eeeeeek .. hopefully he will stop by my sisters place and forget to bring me any again lol (thats what he did the other week lol) ... its my fave cake and omg .. I dont need the temptation right now rofl.

MISTI - What a fantastic NSV ... it really makes things great when someone on the street notices how wonderful you are looking and praises you on your work Sorry the FFM is being mean to you .. Im sure that she will come and give you a big surprise soon ... after all you must be going down .. but maybe with your muscle building up you might not be going down in weight just in size?! Okee .. Im still missing it .. WHAT DENT??? lol ... I must be really blind cos I cant see what dent youre talking about??

ANGIE - Welcome back hun .. sorry to hear you havent been having a good week or so. Definitely get your vitamins ... at least you acknowledge how you have been and what you need to do Im sure that water weight will fly off when you get back into the groove again too

KIM - Great work on starting the new post (I havent got up to that stage yet lol) .. I have the opposite weight loss to you then ... my top half stays big while my lower half gets smaller .. very annoying lol .. would be great if it would go off evenly wouldnt it .. but youre right .. at least its going off! Good luck with your studies And great not going up with TOMs visit

BRENDA - Im sure you will be strong facing that temptation and tell your hubby to get well soon (and hide those darn treats!). Its Thanksgiving there soon isnt it?? Or have I missed it again?? Im not too sure but I know Canada has theirs at a different time than US (I had my first ever TG when I went to Canada in 2004) ... I didnt have a prob ignoring a lot of the food .. or not eating much of it .. until I tasted that Pumpkin pie .. OH NOOOO ... got soo hooked lol. Have you got a recipe for the oreo cheesecakes?? They sound lovely .. are they very high in cal tho?? I gotta find some treats to make for XMas lol.

VALERIE - Thankies .. I just had a look at your piccy and you have posted it great I am still trying to work out on how to post it like you did rather than having the pic in the post if you know what I mean?? lol ..
Will look forward to seeing more pics from you now that you know how

Just wanted to add that I have added a couple of pics to the pics page of my bears (and friends) that I collect ... thats most of them .. well .. most of the unpacked ones rofl. Okee .. if I have missed anyone Im sorry .. have tried to remember everyone ... HIIII if I missed you tho .... great work on those staying OP .. great work on getting back on board if you didnt ... huggies to those that need them and high fives to those with NSVs.

FREEDOM TO ALL!! (thankies Zelma!)
Old 10-08-2006, 01:03 AM   #13  

Nightkatt - I average about 3mph...although it varies during my walk usually. I'd say every one of my walks including some hills - big and/or small. I got all my Pogo badges already, lol. Yes, even Quick Quack! BUT, I'm working on John's off and on now, lol, he's not good at it he says, so I gotta do it for him.

Hi Ladies - Got swimming in tonight! It was nice. I was there for 1.5 hours...I'm counting the 1 hour towards my exercise minutes. Got some walking in, too! Well, I'm off to watch a movie with John..I'll check in later!
Stay OP chickies!

Melissa
Old 10-08-2006, 04:24 AM   #14  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I was going to do personals first, but thought I’d blab on a little (or a LOT as I tend to do) about myself, then I’ll get the individuals done.

I’ve had a pretty good weekend. Yesterday I was on a real ‘high’ for some reason. I think it was actually coming to that FREEDOM conclusion. It really opened my eyes to just how wonderful my life is. I just kept smiling and seeing beauty everywhere. I felt a little goofy at times, but still had a great day. Today didn’t start off so well, because I had a weird feeling and was just kinda feeling ‘blah’. Neil and I decided to go into the city after lunch though, and just making that decision cheered me up. I also got a little tidying up done (have a LOT more to do, as I let the house get a little wild at the end of the term, with trips to Sydney and visits to hospital) so I felt much better after that.

When we went into the city we went for a lovely walk along the river to see how long it would take us to get to a place we are going on Thursday morning for a breakfast and to listen to a presenter talk about Nutrition and how it affects children as they learn. This is definitely something I am interested in and Neil is happy to come along with me. We are going to drive into the city at around 5:30am Thursday morning and walk to and from the event (30 mins each way at a GOOD pace) to get in some exercise.

We are SO naughty! (NO! You can keep your minds out of the gutter please) We were only recently saying that we should be better about money, and we are going to organize to put more onto the loan etc. Well, this afternoon we were wandering through an upmarket department store and I wanted to stroll around the Christmas section. Just for the look, as I LOVE anything to do with Christmas. Well, we both fell in love with the Christmas village display they had set up. OK… I fell in love with it and Neil kinda thinks it looks good too. We have decided to set up a village of our own. We don’t really have a ‘tradition’ for Christmas, except putting up the tree and putting a few decorations around, but not that many at all. We don’t put lights on the house as we live behind another house.

Anyway, the village idea really appeals to me as I have always wanted to experience a WHITE CHRISTMAS. I have seen so many movies and cards etc, since I was a little kid, with snow all around and I am SO envious of anyone who gets to spend a Christmas with snow. I wish it would snow here for Christmas, just ONCE, but I suppose that would be a MAJOR miracle, seeing as the temps are usually around 90 to 100F.

So, I am compromising and we are going to drape the table with ‘snow’ (fluffy stuff we call wadding, not sure if that is an international term) and put a tree up on a ‘mountain’ and surround it with a Christmas village. We thought that we would buy one new piece each Christmas to keep adding to it. But… we then thought that it would be nice to actually start with more than one piece, so we had a little village to start with, so we have decided to buy one piece each payday (we get paid fortnightly) until Christmas. We should have 5 buildings before I set things up on December 1st, then we should get a couple more before Christmas. Each pay we are going to buy a building and some accessories, such as characters or bridges. Today we bought our first pieces. We bought a toy store and 4 characters, one of them is a toy seller and he has a wagon full of toys. I am SO excited about this. I feel like a kid all over again. We even talked about buying something little on the in-between pay weeks, to keep adding to the scene as we go along. We can certainly afford it, so it is not REALLY naughty, it was just that it was such a spur of the moment decision. We are bad for doing things like that.

Luckily we rarely use our table for eating as we are naughty and eat on the lounge/couch. When we have visitors (which is a rare occurrence) the weather will hopefully be nice enough to eat out under the patio where we have our old dining suite set up. I am going to have to get all of my school stuff off the new dining table before then, but that shouldn’t be a problem as hopefully reports will be finished by then and I won’t have any extra planning to do. I CAN’T WAIT!!!

Well, that was my excitement for the day. I am feeling really good again today. We are planning on spending a little time getting organized at school tomorrow, nice and early, before heading to a national park or somewhere to go for a walk, have some lunch (which we will be taking with us) and hopefully take some photos of wildflowers. They are supposed to be out all over the place, so fingers crossed. The temps are still supposed to be around 85F, which will be lovely.

I hope you have all had a wonderful weekend.

Take care,

Zelma
Old 10-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #15  

Zelma, your Christmas village sounds wonderful! And your wishing for a "white Christmas" reminds me of my time in the Philippines and also when I lived in South Florida!

Once when I was in Manila some friends had been back in their home place -- Canada -- over Christmas. They were telling us how they had gone camping in a fold-out camper with the tent type top and how they had woken up in the morning to see snow coming in the edges and the tent top was covered in snow... and how wonderful it was and they had enjoyed it so much, etc. We were all envious.... and got a good laugh as one of our other friends popped up and said..."Didn't we used to HATE that?"

Amazing how much you miss it! In Fort Lauderdale they decorate the palm trees with lights... it is pretty but it is just NOT the same!

We don't get snow very often here in Seattle and when we do it is usually melted off the same day or so which is fine with me as I grew up in Missouri where it might stay on for a month and be super cold and makes for a mess in driving, etc so I do NOT miss that. But I love our quick once-in-a-while snows here... and of course if I really want it, it is just a short drive to the mountains, esp. in winter.

Anyway, hope you will post some pix of your Christmas village!
Closed Thread