Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:18 AM   #16  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Up until now I've been doing fairly well. Eating on-plan and working out as scheduled on most days (I've had some slip-ups, but got myself back on track right away).

BUT....I find myself really struggling to move my arse these last few days! I really, really, really, REALLY don't want to do it! I eventually do haul myself over and just do it, but it seems like I am fighting with myself more than I have since starting this weight loss journey.

I haven't given up, and I'm not about to, but I hate this feeling that I am in a danger zone--like my old lazy self is fighting to reclaim this body! There's a mental war going on right now, and I just want to nuke the other side and get it over with!

Anyone else hit these rough patches? And what did you do to get through them?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning everyone.

Welcome Karen!

Apple Cheeks? We either fall off the wagon -or- ride it out. I recall hearing Krista Schaus talking about 80% compliance. We don't have to be perfect all the time. Just good more than we are .... not.

I, for one, immerse myself in 3FC. I read several times a day, I post encouragements .... Who said "as a man thinketh, so he shall go" (sic) ....
Old 06-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #18  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome Karen!

Apple Cheeks -- maybe your exercise isn't inspiring you and you could try some new things? Also, I really think managing your food is the MOST important thing you can do, exercise is just icing on the cake. So remind yourself that you ARE doing the hard thing -- eating well. So you are accomplishing TONS just doing that. Maybe change your exercise goals to build some positive momentum. Try just 15 minutes in front of the TV. Or just fast walk around the block. Something small and enjoyable that will let you gets some check marks in your exercise "win" column as you work your way through the exercise "Blahs". And try some new stuff!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:03 AM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey Apple Cheeks! Yes--it does get hard. It just wears a person out to be losing weight, if you have more than, say, 10 pounds to lose--and sometimes even if it's only 10 pounds! That last 10 pounds seems to take forever sometimes...

But what's the alternative? Do you want your weight to go back to where it was to begin with? I don't think you do.

So what one is fighting is the part of you that wants things to go back to "normal"--which means, those old eating and (non)exercise habits. Oh, life was so easy then. Just eat whatever you want, in whatever amounts you want, and pretend everything is fine.

Right... well...

One strategy is to find non-food ways to reward yourself for staying with it. Buy yourself a full-body massage--go to a concert--take a trip to an art museum--rent some movies you've wanted to see and make up a batch of weight-loss-friendly snacks--go to a local nature preserve and take a walk with a friend--you get the idea.

I'm glad you're hanging in there! You keep on going!

Jay
Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #20  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Apple Cheeks- I know what you mean. For me, it takes all I have just to GET UP and do it. But I've been at it long enough that I know it will be all good in the long run. That still doesn't mean that don't take breaks every now and again. I'm on a "week of rest" so to speak at the moment.

To answer your question, SusanB, I am working with a trainer. Not extensively, but a little goes a long way. My routine was just so TIRED and I need some new tips. And I work out with a group of girls, which is really fun! Sometimes, I just need to put a little fun back into it so my head gets back in the game, too.

As for eating, since I'm not bringing home any $$$ for a couple of months and we are planning for the big day, our grocery bill must be cut back. Luckily, it's summer, a time when I tend to eat lest "robust" meals and stick to small-ish meals throughout the day. A lot of my nutrition also comes from plants and with farmers markets and grower's stands, we can make that work.

Jay- I think with this break from life that I have right now, I'm going to start focusing on those rewards you've suggested!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #21  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I'm back after um...*months* of absence. Good news: I stayed within 3 lbs of my lowest weight (162). I need to get back on track, but decided against going at it cold turkey (diet + exercise everyday, 2X a day). I run out of steam fast and eat more when I find out I've lost weight. This time I'm taking it slow. I'm watching my calorie intake first then slowly incorporating exercise. I run up and down the stairs at work since I'm working in two labs. I've been eating breffix and a cup of milk, soup for lunch and whole wheat pasta + sauce with added veggies for dinner. So far, I'm really loving my meals! I've been doing this for 2 weeks now. I'm hoping I can keep it going for another 2 months. I walk 12 miles over the weekend (6 miles/day) and I'm slowly going to incorporate 30 mins on the treadmill in the mornings or evenings if I have early mornings. We'll see how it goes. I'm hoping for the best!
Old 06-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #22  

Ah! so AppleCheeks can take a page out of Junebug's book. That was a happy coincidence.

Afternoon folks!

Hi Sunnigummi! Good work in staying pretty steady weight-wise.

I no more want to go to the gym than fly to the moon. It's a good thing DH goes too. He can drag me kicking and screaming.
Naw, it probably won't be that bad. It never is. I'm always glad I went.

3FC is my cool drink break this afternoon. I'm going back to planting my planters just shortly here.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #23  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I'm having a good day. I got all my chores done early, I got a great swim workout in (plus I biked back and forth to the pool) and the strawberries that I bought are the perfect balance between sweet and tart. Life is good.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #24  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Cheeks View Post
Anyone else hit these rough patches? And what did you do to get through them?
I don't normally post in this thread (I already have too many daily chat threads to keep up with!) but I'm killing some time at work so I'm lurking, and I thought I'd speak up.

I have these rough patches pretty frequently, and the thing that gets me to 'just do it', if you will, is reminding myself how hard it was to work up to my current level of fitness. It only takes two days to start losing cardio capacity (two days!) if you stop working out, and there's no way I'm going through all that all over again. I'd rather do the work now when I don't want to, but *can*, than have to go back to square one in two months when I feel like it again.

Granted, some days even that argument doesn't win out. But as long as I get back on the horse again the next day, I'm still okay.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 222/154.4/149 (mini-goal)

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

I got my 30 minutes of walking in already today, when I got back it was already 91 degrees. I'm going to have to start getting up early to beat this Texas heat.

I'll look forward to my indoor strength training after this.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #26  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

I can totally relate to Apple cheeks...I find myself not wanting to work out either. I sort of think that maybe I shouldn't on those days...is that the body's way saying you need a break? I don't know

Susan---what kinds of food am I eating? well it really doesn't matter. When late afternoon/early evening hit---it can be anything. I feel beastly searching for food and shoveling it in.

Yesterday turned out to be a bust, but again today seems to be going good. I have a plan for today and am also coming up with a daily food plan. That should surely help. And yes, having an audiance does help.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #27  

Cindy .... is that a huge bowl of watermelon I see?

Don't search! Make sure you've got a kitchen full of good choices. If I decide I want ice cream ... I've got to get dressed and go get it. A handful of grapes is much easier.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #28  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I think that JayEll hit it closest to the mark for me: I've just reached a point where I am fighting myself over all the changes I've made. A part of me would like to go back to being lazy, popping any old piece of food into my mouth that I'd like, and then lying to myself about how bad I am really feeling and looking because of it!

Also, I've hit the half-way point to my goal, and so now that I am looking and feeling much better I am slipping up more, and wanting to slack off, because a little voice inside me tells me I can "afford it" now.

But, I'm not quitting and I'm not going to let myself throw away all this hard work this time around! I guess I just really wanted to whine a little bit about it seeming harder this week for me.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #29  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

Yes Susan, I know. I really do.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:33 AM   #30  

Morning my little dumplings!

I've been having a pretty good week! Not much bad snacking. No scarfing horrible things because I waited too long to eat. However, I did not go to the gym last evening. DH wants to go on Saturday morning instead. I gardened lots so I'll say that's not too bad exercise-wise.
Closed Thread