Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default i know scale fluctuations are normal, but...

yesterday i was 273.5 and today i am 280... please tell me this is normal! and yeah i know i shouldn't weigh myself every day but i have ocd so that's pretty much impossible for me
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

did you weigh on the same scale? if you did maybe it could be time for TOM or you are just retaing water. Alls i can think of is the simple stuff, maybe theres someone on here that can get more technical! Dont sweet it!
skinnyvanilly2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #3  

it's not TOM because i am on the pill that reduces them to once every 3 months.

and it's not the same scale though, you're right, but here's the thing
on before i went to my bf's it was 277, then when i weighed at his place it continued to go down until yesterday it was 273.5 so it still showed i was losing weight even if it was another scale. so either way, it's up.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Different scales can be significantly different; however I have had swings as much as that myself. The heavier you are the larger the possible swing. What that is is water. Don't worry about it except to watch your sodium more closely and drink plenty of water and it should flush out of your system. Also, go ahead and choose one scale to be your scale and stick with it.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #5  

i'll try to stick to one scale, haha. i was just so proud of myself cause i have stuck to my calorie counts and then to see that really bummed me out... like, order a pizza bummed me out :/
Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

My weight fluctuates a lot. I've been 100% OP, and today the scale is up 4 lbs. My weight has flucuated by up to 6 lbs. Hang in there. And I agree, pick 1 scale to use.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #7  

ok, that's encouraging i just don't want to fail again
Old 01-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #8  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Yep, and it's pointless to weigh on more than one scale. I've always fluctuated wildly. Even choosing the same time of day on the same scale, I will fluctuate up to 4 lbs on a "normal" day. More if I've had something especially salty or if I've not had my usual sleep. Weigh all you want (I HAVE to weigh every day) but don't worry about these fluctuations. They are normal!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222.8/213.8/145

Height: 5'1

I've also noticed the scale reads differently if someone's just taken a shower. Something about the humidity in the bathroom alters the accuracy.
zoerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Goodness, my scale goes up and down all the time. Water weight is a big factor for many of us.

A couple of days ago I got on mine and saw a rare occurence -- the scale was LOWER than it's ever been! But I knew I wasn't eating for a deficit... sure enough, the numbers are a little low for hubby too! I suspect our scale (which isn't a digital) got jiggled and read a little low... You just don't know sometimes!

I guess my point is not to put such a big focus on the scale reading for any one day. Look at the pattern over time!

For me, sure enough the scale was back to "normal" today -- but it's not caused I gained 2 pounds in the last two days...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm sure that it is just you retaining water! Don't you worry! It'll go back down. Especially if you're sure you stayed on track, there really is no reason for it to have jumped like that other than water retention or normal fluctuations. Also, a side effect of many, many birth control pills such as that is "major weight fluctuation". When I was on the pills years ago, my weight would fluctuate upwards of 10 pounds in a day or week! And I wouldn't have done anything in the days leading up to that jump that would have caused that (which includes eating anything excessively salty). I would read into the side effects of your current pills and see if there is any mention of weight fluctuations of any kind. It might make you feel better to see it in writing, but I can almost guarantee it's there. It can be depressing sometimes, but I'm sure you'll feel better once you see that number jump down. Good luck!

Last edited by leanmoomercows; 01-19-2008 at 11:38 PM.
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #12  

thanks for the encouragement guys, i'd have a hard time getting through this without you. you mention retaining water and now that i think about it i've not drank much lately so that's probably it. thanks again for the support. i'm sure i'll need more!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, drink a ton of water and I bet you'll see it go back down. I have an IUD so I don't get a period either but I still notice a little jump in my weight once a month. I just figured it would be when I would get it if I did. And I know how frustrating it can be to go from one scale to another. It drives me crazy but I'm taking the advice of the girls and just using my home scale for my reference. It's the one I weigh on everyday. Heck, 4 times or more each day...I'm anal.
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #14  

Height: 5 foot 7

I am the same way! I got on the scale friday to be 218 lbs. By saturday (yesterday) I was 220!!! This morning (sunday) I am back down to 216! Insane! I have been going from 220 one morning to 214 the next morning to 218 the next. I have no idea whats going on. Must be fluid. I'd say that is the same reason for you too.
dawnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'm now at the point where I just accept the fluctuations... more or less. I don't like it when the scale goes UP still, but often I can guess that if I haven't really been off plan, the scale is up for some other reason and will go back down again soon...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote