Weight Loss News Archive Older articles

Old 03-12-2004, 01:42 PM   #1  

Post Krispy Kreme plans low-sugar doughnut - article

I'm not sure this is entirely a good thing. Yes it might be a healthier donut, but a donut is still a donut.. basically no nutrition. I won't be eating any more donuts just because they are made this new way, but I am afraid a lot of people will..

Krispy Kreme plans low-sugar doughnut
Friday, March 12, 2004 Posted: 10:26 AM EST (1526 GMT)

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina (AP) -- Hot. Now. Healthy?

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, long known for its high-calorie treats, says it plans to offer a low-sugar doughnut to attract dieters and diabetics.

Exactly how low the sugar content would be was unclear Thursday.

Krispy Kreme spokeswoman Amy Hughes said she didn't know because the new doughnut is still in the early stages of development. It is set to debut before the end of 2004.

But just one of Krispy Kreme's Hot Original Glazed doughnuts has 10 grams of sugar and 200 calories. More than half those calories come from fat -- 12 grams of it.

Krispy Kreme lover Clint Beaver said that while a low-sugar doughnut is a good idea, he doubted he would give up on the original glazed variety.

"As for me, I'll die eating the fattening doughnuts," said Beaver, a student at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine.

One of his med-school friends, Nathan Painter, found the whole idea of a low-calorie doughnut strange. "It just seems odd they're trying to be healthy," he said.

Still, he said, he would give one a try.

The idea of offering a low-sugar doughnut isn't new for Krispy Kreme.

"We've been looking at this for some time," Hughes said
Old 03-12-2004, 02:21 PM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Companies are always trying to cash in on the changing trends of dieters but that is just the way it is.

I'm not sure if I would eat a low sugar doughnut - maybe if it had less fat and was not deep fried and was made with wholewheat flour but I don't see that happening anytime soon unless I make them at home myself
Old 03-12-2004, 05:54 PM   #3  
Searching

I remember reading in a Fitness mgazine somewhere that the doughnut was the least healthiest food of all. It causes insulin spikes and has just the right ratio of fat to carbs to drive you I can't imagine that people concerned with a healthy diet would be in eating doughnuts to begin with (not even wholegrain ones ) At first I thought you were joking OMG what will they come up with next?

Miss Chris
Old 03-14-2004, 12:08 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

The BIG problem I see with the low-carb/low sugar donut is exactly what happened in the 1990's when all the low-fat/fat free goodies came out. People would just eat more - instead of a couple of 'regular' Oreos, they felt it was 'okay' to eat an entire box of Snackwell's Devils Food Cookie Cakes - even considered them healthy food although they were LOADED with sugar.

I'd be willing to bet that this is happening now with all the low/no carb 'frankenfoods' coming out now - and it will happen with Krispy Kremes. People who wouldn't normally eat donuts at all are going to be buying these because they're 'healthier'.

And they'll only end up getting FATTER in the end, but KK will make out like a bandit.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:24 AM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I totally agree Mrs. Jim!

I don't buy "fat free" foods except for yogurt and low fat milk and I have one regular serving of each per day in order to get my calcium in.

Fat free or low fat products don't usually taste that good to me and when the fat is removed it is usually replaced with sugar to make the products take better.

My personal philosopy is to eat what I want just less of it or if something is a trigger for me then I just don't bring it into the house. I cannot have oreos, buttertarts or chips in the house at all
Old 03-17-2004, 11:51 AM   #6  

Anybody with half a brain should realize that these things are STILL being deep fried in oil! Good gravy even if they completely redid their operation and started baking donuts, which would completely change why everyone flocks to them in the first place, the fact is, like everyone said, a donut is a donut! When was the last time anyone who bought a KK donut ate just one, which btw are 200 cal apiece not counting sodium, sugar, fat etc, just calories! As for me, UH uh!

Faye
Old 03-18-2004, 02:55 PM   #7  

I do, in fact, enjoy one Krispy Kreme 3 or 4 times a year, and since sugar is far more of an issue for me than fat, I'd be delighted to skip the ten grams of sugar.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:12 PM   #8  

totally agree with you all-I love having a doughnut now and then-but people should definitely watch how many they consume.