UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #1  

Default Tunes to take your mind off....

killing your Boss/eating chocolate/bursting into tears etc.

What tunes keep you in a mellow more human frame of mind?

I have just received some jazzy stuff from Amazon -

Although I love Rock - especially heavy metal and punk - I tend to go quite a bit mellower at work.

I got stuff from Pasadena Roof Orchestra, Manhatten Transfer and at last got that Spyro Gyra thing with Morning Dance on it.

I did get one compilation of John Peel stuff - Buzzcocks, Stiff little Fingers, Sugarcubes (early Bjork) Joy DIvision etc. That is for home consumption!

Anyway when I am doing tedious stuff I like something jazzy to while away the hours and hours and hours.

What about you???
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #2  

Hi there Peacock from a new bod.

I used to eat chocolate to take my mind off wanting to kill my boss but I don't have one any more, thank god.

I plug in to my ipod to chill out to the likes of kt tunstall, bjork and the chili peppers. At the mo i'm a bit retro and keep going for bowie and stones.

Nice to meet ya.

bigbonedlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:30 AM   #3  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Tunes to keep me mellow? hrm. I just bought Undiscovered by James Morrison after falling in love with Wonderful World, had that in the car this week. If I want to chill out at home I tend to go with Tori Amos, Kate Bush. KT Tunstall is fabulous to chill out to. At work I listen to Radio 1 over the internet and have been hearing a lot of Amy Winehouse lately so I'm looking at splurging and buying her new CD on import via amazon because of course she hasn't "made it big" in the states yet. Recent purchases also include two Muse CD's including Black Holes and Revelations which kicks all kinds of ***, new Kasabian, Flaming Lips, Coldplay.

At home when I'm cooking or doing housework I like to put on Out of Nothing by Embrace, it's chock-full-o songs that lift you up, like Ashes and makes the mundane stuff seem fun. The Good Will Out is another fab Embrace album if just for All You Good Good People played full volume. Anything by Robbie Williams at home too.

I like all kinds of stuff but definately have a leaning towards rock/metal/alternative. My ipod playlist for the gym is full of Faith No More, GnR, Embrace, Stiltskin, Terrorvision, AC/DC. I do have a dirty secret though, I quite like those Girls Aloud and just might be asking for their greatest hits as a chrimbo pressie from one of my UK friends .
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #4  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I haven't really got one favourite type of music. I like different music for different moods. I've got about 20 CDs which just sit on top of the kitchen stereo and never get put away: a couple of Keane CDs, old Queen stuff, George Michael, Robbie William's swing CD, Robert Palmer, Razorlight, Frank Sinatra hits, a Burt Bacharach greatest hits CD which DH bought me and its great, David Bowie, a couple of classic rock compilation CDs with all noisy good stuff like Paranoid on, Moby, loads more.

Much to my shame I also like the Scissor Sisters I refuse to buy their CDs but I'm spending a fortune downloading the individual tracks.

Right at the moment I'm listening to the Radio 2 Keane session.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #5  

I've been meaning to get some amy winehouse, You're right about girls aloud, you know it's wrong, but 'somebody' wrote some catchy stuff for 'em, and it gets in to your brain.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #6  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Sarah Ann I love the Scissor Sisters! I don't have their latest CD, wasn't too impressed with the two singles I heard from it but I do have their debut which has been played to death in my house and car.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #7  
Consistency + Balance

I loved that one Elton John wrote for them 'Don't Feel Like Dancin' - great one for the iPod when I'm out walking.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #8  

Nuttin wrong with Scissor Sisters, I say.

I also really like the Sugababes.

My Mum cannot stand Amy Winehouse - saw her on Never mind the Buzzcocks and thought her vile (swearing and tattoos - not ma's cup of Rosie Lee). I cannot stand her whiney voice but there you are....And don't get me started on DIdo and her awful phrasing...
Old 11-28-2006, 10:04 AM   #9  

Never saw her on the buzzcocks, we went to the same school and i thought it was hightime i gave her a listen!

Not keen on Dido, find it all pretty insipid.

Hello anyway!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:04 AM   #10  
Consistency + Balance

Oh - forgot - when I get very angry I slam on some Motorhead and play it really, REALLY loud. Very antisocial but I always feel better afterwards.

I quite like the Sugababes. Amy Winehouse is okay-ish - she reminds me of someone and I can't think who.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:05 AM   #11  
Consistency + Balance

Hi BigBonedLass and
Old 11-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm listening to Nizlopi at work, they rock!

If I'm p'd I have to put MeatLoaf on

Don't think I've heard AW, I do like Nerina Pallot though. I bought myself her early album for Christmas and haven't played it yet.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #13  

Hello, thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #14  

I used to listen to the radio at work but unfortunately whenever the lift went up and down - (busy Hospital so on the rare occasion one is working - it is up and down, etc etc) the radio would cut out. It got really bad so I had to forget it. I used to like listening to the plays on Radio 4 (well - I am at THAT age...)
Old 11-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #15  

I steer away from heavy rock at work because althoguh in my own room I am relaxed when I hear it, at work I woud just go for the jugular (and who could blame me...). For some reason it is against the law to kill those you work with and for. The law is an ***!