UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260.5/163.5/147

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy Weight Watchers

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else is doing the WW diet?

I joined a couple of weeks ago, and lost 4 lbs the first week - I was pretty proud of myself.

My weigh in is tomorrow and so far I've not even lost half a pound this week. I know my scales are accurate as they weighed exactly the same as the ones at WW last week. I've followed the diet to the letter this week, and also been the gym 3 times, for an hour and a half each time. So what am I doing wrong?! It's not even TOM so that's not the explanation.

The only thing someone has suggested to me is that I'm not eating ENOUGH. I'm meant to have 22 pts, but most days average 19/20 pts. Should that really make a big difference?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
^^Angel^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 04:00 PM   #2  
Recovering chocoholic

I wouldnt have thought it would make a huge difference but i'm not too familiar with weightwatcher points. Have you been going to the gym much? Because suddenly going to the gym can make a difference, fat turns to muscle and although you will look better and more toned, initially you will weigh more on the scales as muscle is heavier. So stick with the gym and the diet and once you've gone through that initial gym transition the weight will come offf on the scales again.

I went to the gym 3 times a weekish last year and although I looked loads better I actually put on about 4lbs in the first few weeks and then lost it again so I wouldnt worry too much yet.
viviki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 04:17 PM   #3  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Angel, YES not having enough points can make you not lose. I do WW points and have done the same thing. It makes you maintain for the most part, but early on doing it, you should really try and get all your points in. Well done on the exercise too, it'll all come offin the end, just watch and see
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 07:22 PM   #4  

Hi Angel You will lose if you follow the plan think of the weightloss as pounds lost over a month instead of a week. I know that doesn't help when you go to be weighed at a group weekly though.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 05:28 PM   #5  

Thanks for your replies. I weighed in today and stayed the same as last week. Before I even said anything, the leader asked me "Have you been eating all of your points", and I said that I hadn't - I've been 2/3 down most days. She said that I should eat all of my points as that's very important. So now somehow I have to get my head around the fact that I'm not eating ENOUGH for probably the first time in my life!

I will give it a go and see what happens next week.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:53 AM   #6  

Angel, make sure you're drinking enough water too, particularly on the days you exercise, this is very important. I've been doing WW for 15 weeks now and have lost 18.5lb so have faith, the program does work. My weekly loss still fluctuates erratically but I know that this is a long-term plan and I have to be patient. Having said that, it's not easy to be patient when you want that weight gone NOW! Good luck over the next few weeks, you'll get there eventually.
Rostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:37 PM   #7  

Okay - now I'm getting pretty frustrated. As advised last week, I made sure I ate my full points this week. I've weighed in today and stayed exactly the same. I go to the gym regularly, what more can I be doing? The leader, believe it or not, has advised me to STOP going to the gym for a week to see if that makes me lose anything. Surely that can't be right? I thought exercise was meant to help us lose weight, not put it on. Not sure now what to do for the best this week, although I know I shouldn't be giving up just yet.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:54 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Angel -- Don't despair whatever you do... Your body may just be adjusting to your new routine... Then if you keep doing what you are doing it will go down... Also you may have reached a plateau... and they are a royal pain!! But to kick start your metabolism again, change up your exercise routine a bit... do your cardio more intently, go heavier in your weights... shock your body! Be patient... the old cliche stands.... You didn't gain this weight overnight and it won't go away that quickly either...

Hope this helps...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #9  
Gym'll fix it!!

Angel, maybe you should look at WHAT you are eating some foods are loaded with sodium so you could be retaining water. Do you want to post your typical 'menu' here and maybe we could give you some advice? i lost a lot the first 3 weeks at WW so you should'nt have quit losing so soon
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 06:35 AM   #10  

I tend to eat mainly chicken, turkey, white fish, low fat sausages, potatoes, rice, veg, salad. I've even weighed portions of rice, meat and potatoes so I know I'm not over or under estimating portion size.

Everyone I've told about her latest advice is shocked, and has said that it surely can't be right to not go to the gym, but I've figured a week off won't hurt me, and at least when I go next week I can say that I've followed their advice exactly and it still isn't working etc. I'm trying not to get too down hearted about it, but straight after the WI it gets me down for a while. I'm okay now, and looking forward to what it says next week.

My only problem this week may be that I went out last night and had a few drinks. I saved up a few points beforehand and am going to make the other few up over the next couple of days, so this SHOULDN'T make a difference, but at this stage it's easy to get paranoid and think - is that what I've done wrong?

I believe that you should still be able to have a life while on weight watchers though, as long as you make up for the extra points. At 25 I shouldn't be living like a nun in order to lose a few pounds!

Fingers crossed for next Wednesday!
Old 05-29-2004, 12:36 PM   #11  
Recovering chocoholic

muscle weighs heavier than fat initially. Going to the gym can make you put on for a few weeks.
viviki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 12:55 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Good point viviki... there is a picture that I love of a fat and muscle comparison....Just scroll down the page a bit and you'll see the pic...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...7&page=2&pp=15

Karen or Mrs.Jim at Ladies who lift is a perfect example of muscle weighing more than fat... at 150 5'4 she is a size 4... I'm 5'3 150 I'm a size 10-12, I'm striving to be a 4 just like Karen!!

Last edited by Lanaii1; 05-30-2004 at 01:07 AM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 07:51 PM   #13  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi Angel!

I too found my weight loss at weightwatchers slow - and was also told that I was probably doing too much exercise at the gym, and should just take gentle walks. I think that is rubbish - and they don't really know what they are talking about where exercise is concerned!

I agree that you may be building muscle, which weighs more than fat - or that your body is taking time to realise what is going on, and shift the weight. But if you stick with it, it will have to come off - I'm afraid to say that I gave up before I had time to find out, and I am having to start again after gaining more weight. I'm still choosing to follow weightwatchers as I don't feel I gave it a proper chance - and I know people have had huge losses with it.

One more thing - Are you on any medication? I am on long term medication and it really slowed down my weightloss. Someting to consider!

I bet your shape is changing with all that exercise!

Don't give up (like I did! )

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:25 AM   #14  

Ooh the fat doesn't look nice does it? They have one of them at sw group I'd quite like one myself so I can sit with it WW is a business firstly (and slimming world and all the others) and not run by doctors if you like the gym do the gym you will be healthy and fit which is better than thin.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 02:47 PM   #15  
Gym'll fix it!!

Veggie would you name it as well as sit with it? at least it would'nt get annoyed when you called it a "fat lump"
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote