UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

Default What i see and what is there!

Something i've noticed by watching How to look good naked is alot of women see themsleves as bigger than they are. I am the complete opposite. i know i'm fat but when i look in the mirror i think i look ok, i'm not that big, then i see photos of me and i look like an elephant. Because of this i tend to feel pretty happy about my body, but still know i need to lose weight to be healthy. Does anyone else get this?
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Great question roobear! I tend to waiver. Sometimes, I think I look alright and then, I find out how huge I look in a picture, while when I have been skinny in the past, I felt huge, while I really wasn't. Still, at this high weight that I'm at today, I mostly feel huge and that's because I am! Make sense? It doens't to me, and I've had a tough day, so I'm having some trouble explaining it. I can't wait to hear what others feel.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/264/140

yes omg I do and I always thought it was wierd.
Although when I'm in a rush, I always look bad just because I know I have no time to try loadsa outfits till I'm happy.
But ye photos make me look HUGE to what I see in the mirror, and than I have the thought of I have no idea really what I look like to other people.
Not great.
But its like the thing of when your shopping and trying on cloths they look so much better than when you get home and try them on.
lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I have this too and I'm a lot bigger than you! Not that I think it look thin in the mirror, but maybe it's the angle I stand at, I think I look one way and then bam , a photo comes out, and the self esteem is shot. I can't wait for a day when I can look at a picture of myself and not wince inside, or just look normal.
saoirse79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #5  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

I do the same thing, I think I look ok... but when I see pics of myself, I'm shocked... because I look massive... The thing is, when I'm with others, at work or whatever, I don't 'act' like I think I look ok, its only for that moment, by myself, in the mirror in that exact glance... For me, I think it's a defense mechanism, and denial.... cause I can't handle the truth.. LOL
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 AM   #6  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

when i was 242 i thought i looked good, i was happy with myself, and happy with how i dressed and looked, i thought my confidence made me secxy i suppose.
but then somthing clicked!
i saw one pic where i looked like an elephant and it all changed, and now i cant really see myself as sexy when i stand next to size 12 people, only ever when im with my boyf, or out with good friends of a similar size to me.
deffinetly odd because im suppose to be happier with my size now, but i always think about people judging me!
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/128/112

Height: 5'1"

I don't think it helps that every single mirror in the entire world makes you look different! I have 2 full length mirrors in my house, the one in my room makes me look rather slim, but then the one on the landing puts about 5lbs on! So what I tend to do now is try an outfit on, look in the landing mirror first then if I'm happy with the way I look I continue doing hair and makeup in my room, lol!!

Don't even get me started on the mirrors in clothes shops!!!

Last edited by Abby1986; 05-15-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Abby1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I have a good day mirror, and a bad day mirror in my house to. The one in the bathroom(think it has to do with the lighting) makes me look like a supermodel! If I'm going out, and want to feel confident, I get ready in there and avoid the other ones like the plague!
saoirse79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethetoys View Post
when i was 242 i thought i looked good, i was happy with myself, and happy with how i dressed and looked, i thought my confidence made me secxy i suppose.
but then somthing clicked!
i saw one pic where i looked like an elephant and it all changed, and now i cant really see myself as sexy when i stand next to size 12 people, only ever when im with my boyf, or out with good friends of a similar size to me.
deffinetly odd because im suppose to be happier with my size now, but i always think about people judging me!
I don't have the advantage of friends a similar size to me, although my best friend is a dress size bigger than me because she is taller and has a bigger frame than me she looks thinner.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #10  
Burning it away

Wow its fascinating! I found some pics from about two years ago when I was at my lowest weight and I remember looking at those pics thinking 'eeeugh fat' and last night I saw them I was amazed because I looked great! I'm totally using it as my inspiration.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #11  

I know what you mean roobear. I look in the mirror and think - "hmm not bad" then I catch a glimpse sideways and decide otherwise!!!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #12  
I Use To Eat All The Pies

S/C/G: 196/Ticker/131

Height: 5" 6

I totally agree! I have brought clothes that I should be arrested for because I don't think "I look that bad" I excitedly try them on in front of the bedroom mirror and see how wedged into them I am..my stomach hanging over the top just looks HUGE right in front of the mirror..

So I go back to jeans and a swamping t-shirt envying those who always look so pretty despite being as big or bigger than me.. I look at them and think "there is no way I could wear that and look as good as you.."

A few days pass and I am back to buying clothes I should be arrested for.. Its a vicious circle I tell you! LOL
GlitteringPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #13  

I recently found some pictures from back when I was 18, i was 9st (my goal weight) and I was so skinny, I miss those days when i used to walk to school and it was all the exercise i needed to keep my weight down. I might get into that this summer if i go home i'll walk to school and back everyday, lol.

Last edited by roobear; 06-15-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:58 AM   #14  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i just always think i look massive....
mirror or picture....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:58 AM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

In college, I read a study that found that average weight and slender women who had good self-esteem were the most accurate in assessing body size, while overweight women with good self-esteem tended underestimate their body size.

The why's suggested were that it was a coping mechanism or because fat is considered such a negative, they were unable to look at someone else as postively as they could themselves thus when looking at "fat" people to compare themselves to the negative image of the other person affected where they placed themselves. Another study found that overweight women held the most negative stereotypes and hatred of overweight people.

I've always underestimated my size a bit, I'd guess about only one dress size though for me I think some of it is that I'm a lot "deeper" than I am wide. I think even in photos this is obvious. I look best at the angle photographers naturally put most women in - slightly off center from head on. Even head-on isn't the shock that sideways is - Geez, I always turn sideways when I think a walkway is too narrow. That's probably not helping any, as I'm either square -- or worse, deeper than wide.

I have to say that in many ways, dieting has become emotionally easier now that I'm working from a health perspective rather than in a desperate attempt to fit in by looking "normal" (I didn't even care that much about pretty, just wanted to not look like a freak). If I had learned to do that at 10, or even at 21, maybe I could have escaped a lot of this rollercoaster-ride and probably the last 100 lbs.

It is what it is though.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote