UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 08:01 AM   #16  
Phat Chick

One more thing

I have registered for fitday.com - thanks Sarah (I think it was you), but isn't the food journal really long and drawn out to fill in ? I like the exercise and diary bit though and I too have set a goal, which informs me that I need to lose 1.49lbs a week to get there. Which is achievable (but not based on January's efforts)

There is a nice section on the fitday site where it automatically does a graph for you, so for those who are not that into excel etc. it's quite user friendly.

Last edited by BigPhatBooty; 02-01-2002 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:01 AM   #17  
diva of the diet

S/C/G: 290/223/210

Height: 5ft 10"

Please don't be disheartened if january hasn't been a good month! My first 'good day in Jan was the 9th!! Every day I tried but something always got in the way!!

It is the first of FEb today so a new month is here to challenge us all and we are going to win that challenge. It isn't a race, we have all got one thing in common...we are fed up of our excess weight getting in the way of us enjoying the rest of our life so we are going to do something about it. Yes we have to change our eating habits/lifestyles etc a bit because it was those things that got us here in the first place. Those sacrifices each day are hard, sometimes harder than others, sometimes we will give in but we will get over it and get on with it.

Go ukfc! Go Ukfc!!
Old 02-01-2002, 09:13 AM   #18  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Noooo..... don't say that Veggie - I would have been long pushing up the daisies - this is my ninth go down on this yo yo..... but it WILL be my last!

BPB aka Dee - I don't do the food journal at FitDay - I just do the weight and activity stuff.... which is because - if I manage to burn over 250 cals in exercise I 'let' myself have a sinful treat to the value of those extra burned off calories... (2 finger kit kat or finger of fudge are present favourites) certain keeps me walking.

TQ - you always know exactly how to express what I am thinking - have you got psychic ability??

Please - everyone - keep posting at the weekly weigh in.... like Veggie aka Judith says it keeps us aware of how we are doing and if anyone of us has a good or bad week... well.... we can learn one from the other.

BFB - I don't know about cutting down on bread - are you doing it because you think you might have a wheat allergy or to try low carbing.

I tried low carbing experimental diet years ago when the idea sort of started and in those days it wasn't so much low carbing as NO carbing. I got quite ill with it but then that wasn't too surprising when you consider that the diet only allowed you to eat unlimited amounts of fish or animal protein and vast amounts of double cream (weren't allowed milk so had to have cream in tea and coffee) and NO bread, beans, cereals, fruit or veggies at all. Can you imagine it - I spent a whole fortnight just meat, eggs and double cream - can you imagine what that did to my cholesterol levels!
Old 02-01-2002, 09:18 AM   #19  

Well said TQ - we all have to stay motivated.

I have given myself the attainable goal of losing 5lbs in February -even though it's my b.day, dh's b.day etc - If I lose 5lb that will be my first stone gone

See you later
Old 02-01-2002, 09:57 AM   #20  
Phat Chick

No I am not trying to low carb - it's just that looking back in my journal on some days I have eaten more than 5 slices of bread in a day. Just thought I needed to try and avoid it for a while. I think it's when I can't think of something to eat, that I resort to toast/sandwiches.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:29 AM   #21  
Consistency + Balance

I think the actual bread is OK - complex carbs and all that - its what you put on it that is normally the problem.... like spreads or butter. I never know what to put on toast nowadays - I am sick to death of low sugar jam.

I'm doing a fish curry for dinner tonight and (being lazy) I bought a packet of naan breads to go with it - well.... I was going to eat one, but I have just seen the cals - 370 just for one fairly smallish one.... I would normally have eaten two of them on my own! Think I will be having plain boiled rice and let Kevin have the naans...
Old 02-01-2002, 10:55 AM   #22  

Naans are horribly high in cals.

I eat 6 slices of wholemeal bread a day thats like the recommended amount isn't it? Or is that just me!

I am not cutting anything out of my diet just makes you want it all the more I think!

I couldnt eat my curry yesterday horrid so then I was really hungry had cheese on toast yum.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:03 AM   #23  

My monitors flickering please don't let it die better rest it a bit
Old 02-01-2002, 03:34 PM   #24  
Theres no stopping me now

I eat loads of bread, sandwiches, couple of slice with a bowl of soup, jammy pieces for supper. And if I get the munches then I put some low fat spreader cheese on a slice and cut it into 8 bits and eat each bit slowly.

Sarah - how about low fat cheese instead of jam. Laughing Cow is the lowest fat I've found that is still tasty. Asda do some extra light spreader cheese tubs with garlic & herbs and other flavourings - all very tasty & low in fat & cals.

Also in Asda I got a very lowfat thousand island dressing sauce that was wonderful on bread - the boys have pieces on brown sauce - must come from their dad's side of the family ??

Carol
Old 02-01-2002, 06:23 PM   #25  

My friend called me tonight, she's on a diet and wanted a curry so she asked me what the cals were for egg fried rice, lamb pasander, 2 popadums and a keema nan (she knows I've got a calorie counting book) anyway it came to about 1,700 or there abouts in my book - she was really mad at me, as if it was my fault.

I've had a Sainsbury's low fat curry and 10 grapes I have to make up for tommorows night in advance.

I try to be careful with bread it's about 100 cals per slice and I always want more than 1. BUT I do have 1 slice of regular toast and butter (yes that's butter) every morning for breakfast. I hate cereals and I realise butter is not good for dieting but I can't face anything else - I have tried every spread on the market in the last couple of years and nothing tastes good.

I agree with Carol about the Laughing Cow cheese, it's definitely the best on the market.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:28 AM   #26  
Consistency + Balance

Thanks for all the suggestions for what to put on bread. I think I will definitely have to try this Laughing Cow stuff.

Delaney - I have had that reaction from various people who have asked me advice about calories and dieting as well. I find it so strange - after all, to be honest your friend must have known that her Indian takeaway was going to be very high in calories - just the word 'fried' in egg fried rice would have given that away.

The biggest problem I have had with dieting friends is that they start off all enthusiastic laying down these 'firm' rules which require us to chase each other up if we think the other is slacking, sometimes also usually involving us exchanging daily diet menus so that the other one can perhaps point out where calorie savings could be made or whatever .... everything is usually OK for the first week and perhaps for the second week.... then after that I find they usually get quite offended or upset if, for instance, they miss a day and I ask what happened or I suggest that visiting McDonalds twice in one day isn't such a good idea! Nowadays I try and avoid doing calorie breakdowns like you did with your friend - I hate to be blamed for something which just isn't my fault and I have had that happen too many times now.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:49 AM   #27  

Went on the scales this morning to assess the damage & it shows an unoffical mid week gain of 5lbs. HELP !!!!!!!!!!! I know i have been unwell - am feelig rotten this morning as well, but hopefully it will pass soon. But how can I hve gained so much in a few days - sorry but this is beginning to sound familiar, sure BPB was having a similar dilemma earlier in the week.

Well I don't think it's my scales, I've never had any problem with them before, but I supose if they have to start playing up then this morning when I'm feeling under the weather would be as good a time to upset me. I don't usually stand on my scales mid week, but I did it last week & this week, why ???????

What am I going to do, they is absolutely no way 5lbs of water (surely it hasn't had time to become ugly fat yet) before Tuesday night and like everyone else I don't want ot post a gain.

I know I need to be strong and face up to a few things .

1 - its only a number of the scale, I can feel a difference in my clothes.
2 - I have been unwell - never had a cold / flu virus (I'm as bad as a man) like this in a long time - it doesn't want to go away
3 - I have been eating rubbish - no energy to plan healthy meals
4 - Haven't exercised since last Sunday & then that was only a walk with friends and family - I did work out yesterday but that just about killed me.

The long & short of it is I've been eating too much and not moving enough to get rid of it - not like me !!!!!!!

Just needed to get all that off my chest. I know any weight gain I show this week is going to be tempoary as there have been unusual circumstances. It is up to me how I deal with it, yes I still feel groggy, but is that any excuse to sit and eat Steves toffees all day and feel sorry for myself. Need to make myself something yummy, filling & low in cals & fat for breakfst & plan out this day. I have a WW cook book home from the library as I am planning a special valentines dinner for Ray & myself, so I shall make that decision today on what we are going to have & find something delicious in it for tonights dinner to.

Sorry just had to get that lot of my chest & turn myself around

I am away to refocus myself and will return later a new woman.

Carol
Old 02-02-2002, 05:13 AM   #28  
Phat Chick

Oh how I know that 5lb gain feeling.

I so wanted to go away and indulge to console myself, but we all know that is not the answer.

I am not trying to be flippant, but all you can do is turn over to a new page and start again. We all know when we deserve a gain and that's what makes it harder to take, when you feel as if you have been good and then you get this!

Could it be that you didn't eat enough? I remember my WW leader saying that sometimes when you don't eat enough points, the body goes into starvation mode and hangs on to everything. Just a thought though. Try not to get back on the scale again . I normally weigh once a week, but when I found my extra 5lbs I spent the rest of the morning like a woman possessed and kept jumping on and off and getting different weights and BMI

The most important thing though is that you are still here and that's what counts.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:08 AM   #29  

Feeling a bit better about my weight - I am not giving up because this is the year I am going to do it.

Still snivelling, will this never go away?

Carol
Old 02-02-2002, 07:00 PM   #30  

Hi all

Well I went to bed last night with a rumbly tummy just to make up for tonight and I wish I hadn't bothered!!!! My starter was lovely (no holding back on the calories) field mushrooms in leek, onion, bacon and stilton - too die for mmmmmmmmmm BUT my main course was yuk, lamb chops (over done) with peas, mushrooms and chips (which were dry and cold) Anyway I figured I'd have a pudding 'cause I had made up for this all week; jam roly poly - it was cold and got sent back twice. AND to add insult to injury everybody was pleasantly drunk and I was on the diet coke and driving - so much for looking forward to that all week.

Thanks for that feel much better now

Carol - BPB is right - you're here and that's all that matters - I know it seems unjust that your scales seem to have this personal vendetta against you but it will be ok - even if you have gained (and you probably haven't on your official weigh in day) so what? Your doing it this time arn't you? Were all in this together.

This week I moved Rosemary Conley (pinched old bag) classes 'cause I don't like getting weighed on a Monday anyway, leader's scales HAD to be wrong because the 3 of us all gained on her scales, even though we knew we'd either stayed the same or even lost a pound or 2. I felt low all week but what's the point just start again tomorrow

Bearing in mind I have so much to lose and worry about putting myself under pressure by giving myself unattainable goals I have decided to try and lose 1lb per week - in one year that is 3.7 stones - feeling very grown up and clever

Night, night all.
Closed Thread