Old 05-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #1  

Default Considering joining

I have heard a bit about TOPS. I like what I hear... But I need some convincing. I was a WW member for a year or so.. and I loved the meetings... but not the program. I loved being accountable to someone...

It should be so easy for me just to walk into a meeting.. it wasn't hard the first time I stepped into a WW meeting. But things have changed.. I get in a panic when I think about going to a meeting!

Would I love TOPS?
Holly4k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #2  
hara hachi bu

Maybe if you need "convincing" you aren't ready to join any sort of group.

I'd talk a friend into going with you to a meeting, takes off a little pressure. Perhaps check out a few different meetings in your area, because if you read the TOPS boards, you'll see that each group varies considerably in size and level of involvement.

Only you will be able to determine if you will love TOPS.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #3  

I am looking for what appeals you to TOPS. I do not know much about it.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 208

Height: 5'3

Holly, Like Phantastica said, just go to a meeting and find out. You are allowed one visit free.. Tops is a good support group... there is no paid program presenter, the members have elected officers that do the administration stuff and the jobs are divided up and all decisions for the group are made by the majority rules....During our meetings we discuss relevant issues around weight loss and lend a listening ear to anyone who needs to talk... I like the "family" feel of it.. .we support each other ... helps keep me accountable.... I wish you luck on your weight loss journey... Barb
Indiacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly4k9
I am looking for what appeals you to TOPS. I do not know much about it.
So, have you checked it out yet?

IMO, the problem with asking this question is that every TOPS group is so different. Unlike WW, all TOPS chapters have their own programs, their own traditions, and their own meeting styles. I have attended 3 different TOPS chapters, and I only fell in love with one of them. I now drive 30 miles from home to go to the TOPS chapter I love even though there is a chapter 5 miles from my home because the closer chapter did not provide me the support I needed.

I LOVE that TOPS is non-profit, so it's not expensive to be a member. I also love the big conventions we have annually such as Fall Rally, State Recognition Day, and International Recognition Day. I like being accountable to the TOPS scale weekly and having to express whether I gained or lost to the whole group--keeps me honest. These are things you should find at every chapter (well, probably not SRD since you're in Canada ).

Beyond that, I love that my chapter has contests and challenges all the time. The members are all extremely active and supportive and are always willing to help in any way they can. However, from my experience, I can tell you these things are not all true for all chapters--all chapters are NOT created equal. Which is why everyone suggests you go to a meeting to try it out
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #6  

no, not yet. I am waiting for something in the mail... I keep meaning to email the lady in charge here, but I forget! You reminded me lol

Thanks for your information