Old 07-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm Considering Joining LA Weight Loss

HI EVERYONE!

My name is Lori and I have a considerable amount of weight to lose - around 130 pounds. I'm considering joining LA Weight Loss but they won't tell you much over the phone. I need to know how much it costs and if it would be a good program for the LONG HAUL. Do you eat your own food or buy theirs?

Please post and let me know your pros and cons of the program and your real life successes with it!
Thanks much!

Lori in IL
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/185/150

Height: 5'4"

Lori,

You have hit the jackpot. I've only been on it a few weeks, but there is an unending wealth of information to be had here. I know very little about the cost, but it is based on time. How long you will need to be on the plan to loose the weight you need to loose. Check it out, it is worth the consultation. The plan is based on a balanced diet, full of food that you buy, this way you have no problem staying on the plan after you loose your 130 lbs. They have their own brand snacks and fillers that they call lites, but there are substitutes that you can buy (saves $$$$$).

The plan works.. if you work at it. You can't lose weight if you don't follow the plan. you eat certain number of proteins, starches, vegies and fruits a day, drink a ton of water. You do weigh your food, until you learn what your portions look like. It is always shocking what 8 oz of meat really is. WE all overeat our portions. Thats how we got here.. read over the past posts, people are so supportive here and really are here to help you and provide answers that they have found along their own weight loss journey. The best thing about LA Weight loss, is there is no trick. You eat when you are supposed to eat, what you are supposed to eat and it works. Mom to 9 sweeties. (combined families)

Have a great day, talk to you soon.

Debi
debi d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/185/150

Height: 5'4"

I meant to say, food you buy at the grocery store.. regular food.
debi d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:52 PM   #4  

Hi Lori!

Just so you have an idea of what to expect --

The basic idea behind LAWL is a portion controlled diet - so many proteins, so many starches, fruits, veg, etc. . The portions size and number of them are based on how much you weigh, how much you exercise, etc. . . Each of these plans are assigned a color - if you look at our past posts you'll see us reference gold, purple, red, etc. .There is no 'magic' formula, but it has taught me to make much better food choices, and when I'm OP I do lose weight!

About the cost - LAWL makes you pay for the weight loss weeks, 6 weeks of stabilization, and a year of maintainence up front. They calculate weight loss (WL) at the rate of 2 pounds a week. Sometimes there are specials on the cost of WL weeks - I paid 7$ - that's the normal rate in this area - sometimes there are 3$ specials.

About the lites - part of the standard program is 2 LA lites a day. They sell them in 7 or 14 count boxes - and these can be pretty pricey - at the bulk rate I got mine for about 20$/box.

If you decide not to do the lites, they will generally move you to the next higher portion plan.

Accountability - the program strongly recommends that you WI (weigh in) 3 times a week, and the counselor will review your diary. We are supposed to get measured once a month, too.

There are also various supplements that they will try to sell you - these are not required to help you lose weight.

If you purchase the lites, and go to the center as required - 50% of the WL weeks are supposed to be refunded over the stabilization period.

I just want you to have some idea of the costs up front. It is a big commitment - the more we have to lose, the more it costs. However, I compared it to WW - and although maintainence is free in WW, the WL weeks cost more. And coming up with all that money up front makes me really want to continue.

Some of the chickies have posted that when they couldn't come up with all the money up front their center worked with them to give them a block of weeks at a time.

Hope this helps! Just ask away if there are more questions!

Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #5  

HI DEBI AND JULIE!!

Thanks so much for the information! It really sounds like something that would be good for me. I think the balancing of the food groups and the portion control is something that I need to re-learn. If they could let me pay in chunks instead of all at once, it would really help too. With 5 kids and one income, money is just SO tight - BUT I think that it sure would help me lose weight instead of trying to do this on my own too -

THANKS again ladies and congratulations on your losses!!

Lori in IL
Old 07-12-2005, 07:28 AM   #6  

Lori - so glad that you found that info helpful! Post back here and let us know what happened!

Julie
Old 07-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #7  
Twin Mommi

Smile

Hi Lori in Il

I joined LAWL because i needed to be ACCOUNTABLE .. i have done WW heck i have tried many diets. But what i find helpful with LAWL is you know you have to go and weigh 3 times a week... it is a mental thing... it really helps me stay on plan (op). Sure you are going to stray a few days here and there but i think that is only normal but as long as you get back on track and drink that water!

I like to say where there is a will there is a way and if you cannot pay for all of it upfront i am sure you can chat with the counselors. I happen to sign up when it was 5.00 a wk so if it was going to take me 26 wks to lose 50 lbs 26 x 5.00 = 130.00

just to let you also know i signed up June 2nd and i am down 13 lbs i am so excited! (and not working out tons) it would probably be more if i would commit to working out.

well i hope that helps some... good luck to you and come on and join the club.

~ Shari
sskinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #8  

Shari - you didn't have to pay for stabalization and maintainence when you signed up?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #9  
138 POUNDS GONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2fivesweeties
HI EVERYONE!

My name is Lori and I have a considerable amount of weight to lose - around 130 pounds. I'm considering joining LA Weight Loss but they won't tell you much over the phone. I need to know how much it costs and if it would be a good program for the LONG HAUL. Do you eat your own food or buy theirs?

Please post and let me know your pros and cons of the program and your real life successes with it!
Thanks much!

Lori in IL

I've lost 138 pounds with LAWL. Best think I've EVER done for myself. Period. Hope you join!
MaureenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #10  

THANKS, LADIES!

OKAY, I'M PSYCHED NOW!!! 138 pounds??? MAUREEN, THAT's SO AWESOME!! THANKS for posting!

And Shari, I totally agree with the accountability thing - if I "click" with the people there that will be good - they can help me figure out how to eat and that's part of my problem - I don't accept help very well. I tend to be a control freak and with such a big family that is good because somebody has to, but then when I need help, I need to accept that! I'M READY TO DO THIS!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

I'll keep you all posted! THANKS again!
Lori in IL
Old 07-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #11  
138 POUNDS GONE!

Quote:
THANKS, LADIES!

OKAY, I'M PSYCHED NOW!!! 138 pounds??? MAUREEN, THAT's SO AWESOME!! THANKS for posting!

please do keep us up to date. Your goal is reachable with LA WL!
Old 07-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #12  

Hi Maureen and All!!

I certainly WILL keep you posted! I am going to meet with the ladies at the center sometime next week. I turn FIFTY on Saturday and will probably eat and drink some off-program stuff this weekend!

Can't wait to get started though!!

I WILL let you all know!!

THANKS AGAIN!!
Lori in IL
Old 07-13-2005, 05:44 PM   #13  
138 POUNDS GONE!

Quote:
Hi Maureen and All!!

I certainly WILL keep you posted! I am going to meet with the ladies at the center sometime next week. I turn FIFTY on Saturday and will probably eat and drink some off-program stuff this weekend!

Can't wait to get started though!!

I WILL let you all know!!

THANKS AGAIN!!
Lori in IL

Thats how I was the few days, and especially the night before I started the program...I ate cheeseburgers!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:14 PM   #14  

Default Specials

When I was at my center today (Tulsa, OK) the Area Manager was there. She told me that next week they are having "Christmas in July" and will offer 12 weeks for $199. It will be a "bare-bones" package that can be upgraded to full membership if you want to at any time. Check with your center to see if this is available.

Also, they are having Open House at my center on July 29th and weeks will be on sale then.
EweWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:46 AM   #15  

THANKS, REGINA!!