Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 266/225/130

Height: 5'1"

Trob,

We are still nervous until everything gets signed, too. I will be glad when it's all over and done and then I can relax for the first time in about 4 months.

I know that will be difficult when my R.J. gets into high school because I don't want to lose the bond we have. He's only 4 now (5 in Dec.) so I have quite a while to go, but I already feel like he is growing up too fast. Maybe you can have a game night or movie night with your son every week to make sure lines of communication are kept open.
MelodyAM75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #107  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
Gee, so many posts to keep up with! How did I get so far behind?

Trob,- forgive me for not reading the posts from earlier...I am too pooped for that. One thing I will say about HS. You are given a much greater chance to impact your Ds's life....more life and death kind of stuff...and there are opportunities to have real conversations with your kids. Enjoy the one on one times when you get them (they are rare). I found driving times to be the best......my Ds would open up then more than other times. Dd too. Good luck. Hope it cools down in Arkansas.........sooner as opposed to later.

Melody- perfect house with a 4 yr old boy? (in my dreams.........not with my one man demolishion crew!) My Ds still can trash a house faster than anyone I know....gee, Mel, just wait till he can cook for himself! Ah the mess in the kitchen a hungry teenaged boy can leave. Not a pretty site. (hope you do not mind my warped sense of humor)
Congrats on the new house!! Gee that is exciting. When is move in day?

Robyn- congrats on being Mountain Dew free! (did not realize that it was that much of an addiction....but then we are not discussing me and tea, which is a major addiction!) Congrats on getting the workout in, heat and all.
This really hot summer stuff is awful, I hate it myself. (we got 2 days off for good behavior here in NY, but the blow torch returns tomorrow). A hoola hoop, eh?????? I still can't manage one. I am so happy that you are getting a few days at Hatteras......have a great time! And it looks (for now) as though the weather will be storm free for you. Glad you got to the Dr too. Hope all the meds clear your headache. Is this the first time you have been diagnosed with migraines? Our trip to NC is leaving 8/19 (I think).
That is probably a miserable time for you, school starting and all that. But I sure would love to attempt a rendezvous somewhere....except I would embarrass the heck out of you.

Mouse- have you gotten any medical attention for your ankle? Ouch! Sorry to hear you twisted it. It must be odd being at home without your Imp. Hope that you are reunited soon. Stinks with the mis communication (or should I say lack of ) regarding your class. You have always sounded like a person who appreciated a schedule and expected the same respect from others. Stinks when you do not get that respect. Hope it all works out for you somehow.

Kerry- glad you survived the 13 hour baseball marathon. (my condolences). Did you ever make it to the fair? Too bad that you and Dh were too pooped to enjoy an evening alone, however, there is much to be said about getting a good nights sleep! (I have not had one in days). What ever happened with that wreck in front of your house?

Well, ladies, I am pooped. I did not sleep for beans last nite. Forgive me for short changing you in my responses. Think it is time for beddy bye for me.
I have been doing great with my pedometer. I think that in the past 7 days, 6 out of 7 I have broken 10,000 steps. Today I am at 13,700 or so....I hope the darned scale reflects the effort, but I know that excercise sometimes takes a week or so to show up.Guess I'd better go. Another long day awaits me tomorrow. Nite!
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 218/218/168

Height: 5'8"

mermaid and melody- i told my dh last wk that i was going to get him logged on here so that he could have support for his dew addiction. he didn't think it very funny. BUT, he has not bought any dew since then so i think you guys may have helped him out anyway. keep up the good work. i was once a diet coke addict but can take it or leave it now.

mouse- hope that ankle is doing better and as for house cleaning....my mom says that there is no future in house cleaning. she used to be a total neat freak but after living with me and my family for a year and now living with my sister and her's, she has finally realized that it is a never ending job.

ecmom, melody and kerry- hope you gus have a wonderful day. try to stay cool!!!
trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 266/225/130

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyohe,

I hope you have a good day. I will be finishing packing today. We are supposed to close and move in tomorrow. We will be getting the moving truck tonight and getting it loaded so it will be ready to go. I will taking apart my computer either late tonight or tomorrow so I will be offline until my new phone line is working at the new house. It's supposed to be on today or tomorrow, but you never know how long the install might take.
MelodyAM75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 218/218/168

Height: 5'8"

okay, this doesn't have anything to do with diet but i need your input. i went for my yearly today and now have a very big decision to make. i have been having a lot of trouble with VERY heavy bleeding, so bad that i will probably be missing a day of work each month. anyway, my dr. gave me more options than i can remember. most of my options were through the use of birth control pills but since i have had problems in the past with high blood pressure he does not feel that that is a long term option. he aslo talked about iuds and the nueva (sp) rings. he said that all of them would help control the amount of bleeding but that they might actually increase the duration each month. the other options were all surgical...d and c, some type of burning of the lining and a hysterectomy either complete or living my ovaries. i am so confused now. i know that i will be having a hysterectomy at some point because my problem is genetic and that is the only cure but i don't know if i should do it now or not. my sister who is 9yrs older thinks that i should not even think about surgery but she is able to take birth control pills. my mom thinks that i should just go ahead and have a complete since she had to have hers at 45. any thoughts on the subject?????? i am also really nervous about all the options because they usually cause weight gain. HELP!!!!!
trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:11 PM   #111  
Swimming Mouse

Good evening, all.
I hired a new cleaning company yesterday. This time, I used an on-line matching service, and the lady that called me offered me the same price I was paying the other girl. I authorized them to charge me for a more extensive clean the first time, so they are going to do the baseboards and the window ledges and everything. I asked her to make sure they move Imp's box and clean up all the litter he has kicked everywhere.
The majority of the laundry was folded and put away. The suitcase is put away. The place is straightened up and organized again (3 weeks worth of mail to go through!!!). The only thing left is to try on the clothes I bought before I left. Hopefully it will all fit and look good!
Robyn: I really like the carpet flick----it is light weight and good for a quick clean up. It only works on berber or short-pile carpet though. I put it away because there was too much in my carpets, but once the cleaning crew has been here, it should work better. The shower cleaner is pretty nice too. I agree with you about prices of vacuum cleaners! Those Dyson things are $400! Although, the automatic ones are cheaper, and say they work very well with pet fur and litter.
Ginny: Well, no... I didn't bother going to the doctor for the ankle this time. It didn't swell, and I was always able to walk on it; the biggest issue was the pulled muscle when I fell. That's almost all better now except when I stand up from the futon or the car. I have plans to call my doctor and chat with her anyway, becuase one of the comments on my evaluation from the job was a concern over mobility issues... That worries me, because I wasn't allowed to go out nationally for a while because of the combined issues of the ankle and the endocrine disorder.
I do miss my Imp. I saw him twice while I was gone: when we had our day off, two of the people I was supervising wanted to go to Lancaster, so I agreed to go and play native guide. They decided at the last minute they wanted to try and do Gettysburg AND Lancaster, the result being they didn't like what they got to see in Lancaster (we went to a local farmer's market, because they wanted to see 'real Amish'). We also went to a local restaurant for dinner. I stayed at my mom's when they went to Gettysburg (too bloody hot to tromp around battlefields, and I've been there so many times before!), so I did my laundry and played with Imp. Then, I saw him the night I spent at my mom's before I came down to Maryland for the contract. Hopefully, he'll cooperate and come home on Saturday. His food dish and waterer are all nice and sparkly clean.
I gave my evaluations to my chapter, and they were thrilled... My disaster support person is going to arrange for me to work at the Disaster Operations Center in DC. My supervisor out at the disaster recommended it; she is also going to enter my promotion into the system.
I also started back to summer school today with my student; he was pretty glad to see me, even though I'm making him redo his entire project because he didn't follow the sample or read the rubric (I am SUCH a MEANIE!!!!). The principal actually said she was glad there were people like me around who are willing to go out and do these things. I'd been certain they were going to have issues because I pawned my kiddo off on a substitute... or that, at the very least, she was going to say something like, "Its great you do this over the summer, but let's make sure it STAYS there." I've gotten that kind of comment before.
I went wireless yesterday, as well. I'd bought a wireless router a few months back, and finally hooked it up yesterday. It was sooooo easy! And its nice not being tangled up with cables when I use the computer!
Oh, yea... I'm a Pepsi One addict. I can not have it, and there are times I get really sick of it, but it is a drink of choice. Too much water makes me sick, too, though... partially the meds for the endocrine disorder, and partially a thing my family has, apparently. All the people in my family get kinda squicky if we drink too much water.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #112  
burned out bus driver

A drive thru visit again.........
Trob- my opinion and of course I have no medical background, but lots of common sense and some experience. opt for the D&C. It usually works, you only feel crummy for a day or so afterwards, and it will (or should) buy you a bit of time. I agree with your feeling about the medications, and of course not a hysterectomy. Not yet. I have had 3 D&C's in my life, and obviously lived thru them. While they are not fun or pleasant, the down side is minimal. (and no weight gain) . I am sorry to hear you are having problems.

Mouse- and when the cleaning service finishes at your place, send them up to me! Hope the ankle gets better and that you and Imp are reunited soon. At least on time for the full moon! (ain't I a pain?)

Melody- happy closing and move day!!!!! Both are stressful and a lot of work.
Hope that all goes well for you. How many millions of checks did you have to write at your closing? It sure seems as though everyone has their hand out for something on closing day.

Ds and I power washed the deck today......I am pooped. Plus I got my WW tape done this am. Current step count is 10, 199, so I am doing fine. The WW tape is 4 AP's, so even though my step count is a bit low, I got all my excercise in. Now if I can just stay away from the fridge tonite(except for the diet jello waiting for me!), I should do fine for tomorrows WI. I sneaked a peek at the scale this evening, I should be down about .5 tomorrow at the meeting. I can only hope!

BTW, I might be losing the battle between myself and Ds over reading. John Hersey has been sitting on the coffee table for several days. I'd better go refresh his memory that there is no law against reading.

Hope everyone is staying cool. Pam, where ya hiding? Robyn and Kerry- I hope your day was ok. Kerry, tonite is the TOPS meeting, right? May the WI fairy fly over you and sprinkle you with pixie dust (which, BTW has no mass, so it will not impact your WI). Hope the scale is your friend! (yes I am losing it.......my one last marble is ready to leave me too!)

Nitey, nite!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:31 PM   #113  

Trob,

I have a very good friend that had this same problem. She had the surgery where they burn the lining of your uterus...I forgot how she said they did it exactly but she said it has been wonderful. If you want more details I'll call her and find out more about it. BTW, I sent an email to school for you. I sent it from my personal email at home.
Lisa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #114  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

hello people! i had written a nice long post....and then the DAWG jumped up on me...and the keyboard...and I 1st thought that she had posted it...but it appears that my post is lost in space...and well.... I will have to start over... LATER!

So.
Here is my abbreviated post!

Thinking of Melody and hoping that Wednesday is going as planned... fingers crossed for a smooth closing on the new house!

Trob: I had a hysterectomy at 35 (for reasons different than yours) after fighting daily pain for 6 years. While I don't regret my final decision.... I would do EVERYTHING that I could to prolong it! I'm with the group who suggest that you try other medical (but non chemical ...ie, no pills!) suggestion first! While a hysterectomy wasn't the end of my world...and it actually IMPROVED my world... it wasn't a first choice...it was actually my last choice! Good luck!

Mouse: My mother swears by her Dyson... so far all I've done is swear at my carpets! But for $$$$ that Dyson should do more than clean the carpet! I did borrow her old Oreck...and I wouldn't own one of these things for anything.... I hate hate hate hate it! I'm sooooo glad that I used hers for more than 6 seconds at her house to see how it really is / was. Hope your ankle is feeling better!

Gin, hear you about your son's reading. I'm certain that my boys are NOT doing what they should...and in fact, one book is overdue...and there are people waiting for it...so alas...I will surrender it and pay the fine...and try to get the rising 6th grader to read something else... he doesn't want to read ANYTHING except graphic novels...and while I KNOW that this IS reading...I just don't think that he is really trying... I will skip my angst over getting the big kid to read his book........sigh! Enough of my mouth! Congratulations! YOu've been doing great with your walking / steps! I've worn a pedometer several times...but never with any real success...the little machine hates me! Do you have a trick or a brand or whatever? HOW do you get this thing to work for you...and where do you put it ...EXACTLY? One day I heard it clicking all day.....and at the end of the day I was at 300somthing steps....(and it was a school day and I KNOW that I walk THAT many steps JUST inside my room a day!) Sigh!

I went to Curves this morning... went around an extra time.. it was crowded and not too much fun! I did the hula hoop until I couldn't / didn't have the coordination to do it any longer! (I figured that THAT was enough!) ....

The dawg is barking at something....and this was going to be brief anyway...so hello to those I've missed...gotta run....
take care,
meee...Robyn...HatterasMermaid...we're all the same! I'm worried that Ive confused some of you!
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #115  
Swimming Mouse

Good evening, all.
Trob: I don't have any medical background, though sometimes I sound like it (just because I've looked up nearly everything that my doctor's have told me about my own endocrine disorder; I learned not to trust doctors when I started the round to be diagnosed with this). If there are other options, try them. I'm on all kinds of medication for the endocrine disorder, and I'm not thrilled by it. I flat out don't have a cycle at all, and although they've wondered about cysts, we don't ever find any on the ultrasounds.
Ginny: I will send them your way: they did a very nice job. They cleaned EVERYTHING, even moved Imp's litterbox and got up all the cat litter and dusted/cleaned off the cover of his box!!! They obviously have a good vaccuum cleaner, because my carpets look really good. They followed my instructions to not use bleach, too. They used some of my cleaning products, so my apartment smells nice and orange-y. They even dusted the boxes that I have in the corner storing school stuff.
Robyn: Graphic novels are reading. Some of them have more vocabulary and higher concepts that pre-teen novels.
I was a good girl today and ran ALL my errands after school so that I can go swimming tomorrow, Friday, and then I have to work on Saturday, so I can go then too. I had my quarterly bloodwork done, got my hair cut, and finally bought groceries. I didn't get to Whole Foods, I went to Wegman's instead. Wegman's produce is almost as good, and certainly cheaper: cherries at Whole Foods are like $6.99 a pound, but they are $2.99 a pound at Wegmans. I had some awesome Pluots today, which are a plum/apricot mix. They have a cherry-flavored one, and it was truly fabulous. I was worried about how much sugar they have though because he said they were higher in sugar than apricrots or nectarines. I also bought some golden raspberries. 've never seen them before... They didn't have sugar free whipped cream, though, and I'm out. I also remembered to buy Mouse-friendly foods for lunch next week since I'm going to be in that class. I need to buy a new lunch bag, and some new ice-packs for it. Anybody seen any nice ones? Target had a bunch when I was there, but they were expensive!!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:10 PM   #116  
burned out bus driver

I am tired, I am burned out, I want a week without my kids whining... I want ....aw, I guess I should just shut up. (can you tell that PMS is around the corner?).

Mouse- glad the cleaning service worked out for you. Congrats on getting all your errands done. Be the hair cut felt good! (they always do!). Get any swimming time in?

Robyn- I "won" a WW pedometer at a meeting 2 years ago. (they were upgrading to a new model and I did actually win it). My leader will program the WW pedometers for you if asked, and I know plenty of members who take her up on it. I wear mine on the side of my waist (with the blubber factor I do not have much of a waist, perhaps I should say that I wear it on my waistband? ). Oh, and I hear ya with the crummy literature.....my Ds can gravitate (or should I say dive bomb!) right to crap if his momma does not intervene. I do sort of agree with the any reading is better than no reading, but also know what a rough age your son is at.........and would strongly encourage healthy reading as opposed to graphic stuff. (parenting is so much fun, isn't it?). On to your hysterectomy- glad it improved your world, although I think the world is just great because you are in it! Glad yo got to Curves. Buy duct tape for the dogs mouth. It works everytime.

My stupid WI? Exactly the same weight. Not that again...............but I am retaining water, so I figure that had an impact on the scale.

I am pooped. I have a headache. I long for cool weather. I will take my crabby hide and go........see ya!
Old 07-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #117  
Swimming Mouse

Afternoon...
I did get to the pool today, and am glad I waited: it hurt that muscle I pulled well I fell on my nose last week. But, its tolerable.
I had to buy a new wireless card because the other one I had (a gift from a friend) died. I bought one that plugs into the USB port on the computer this time, although it cost $10 more than the other kind. I think the heat might have fried the other one because we had that happen when I was out with the Red Cross. When the cards got hot, they'd stop working.
I'll have to be careful, though, because it sticks out of the computer and would be easy to yank out.
On the topic of reading: my student that I have for summer school (he's my ED kiddo that I have during the year) hates reading. He was totally cool with the project we've been doing until today when he had to read. Then he started goofing off and not wanting to follow directions. I wouldn't let him out of it, and actually made him stay 5 minutes longer until he got the information I wanted in the correct format on the page... He's doing a research project on Walt Disney World, and he's at the part where he has to put down facts about the history of the park. He's using a sample that one of my classes at my old school did (and this is the one that the kids won an award for and we showed at that tech conference almost 3 years ago). Their project was about Hersheypark, and the first two facts state who the park is named for, and when it opened. It was like pulling teeth to get him to put that information on the page! GAH!
The downside of keeping him the extra few minutes was that his brother was late for work... although I did explain it was because the student wasn't following directions. I felt a bit guilty, but hopefully his brother will be upset with his younger sib... and get the point across that he needs to follow directions. On his way out of the building he jumped up and tried to grab the exit sign.
I'm thinking about asking my neighbor if she'd like to go for ice cream; we just got a Cold Stone Creamery nearby. But I want to check and see if they have sugar-free ice cream first; one night she & I tried to go to Baskin-Robbins only to discover that their sugar free ice cream has nutrasweet and malitol (BLECH!) and they have very few flavors. I'm totally spoiled by Turkey Hill ice cream, because that sugar free ice cream tastes like real ice cream!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #118  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hey you all....just me checking in to tell you that I'm checking out for the weekend! Heading to Hatteras for a few days will have my toes in the sand! We are taking the DAWG... so this could be VERY interesting! We will return home on MOnday evening...and I'll check back here then!

Gin, thanks for your sweet words! I may have to invest in a WW pedometer...I know that they will help you with them as I've waited for many adjustments and ped conversations! I did well with eating this week UNTIL yesterday.... We went to Richmond to visit my Florida friend, her daughter (who lives in Richmond) and her grandson (who JUST had the most amazing surgery on his skull! ...and is doing beautifully btw!) I took my boys and the others discovered that we had never been to Cheeburger, Cheeburger! ...... I could have eaten a salad... I guess I should have eaten a salad.... but I didn't ....I had a small cheesburger...and some onion rings AND even some fries....(had to taste them!) I also had a small chocolate shake.... HOLEY MOLEY....That junk tasted sooooo good....and then I had a horrible stomach ache ALL through the evening...... I ate a yogurt and a few grapes for dinner as I was NOT hungry after all that junk! Anyway... I am thinking about going over to WW today....but I've got lots to do ....and WW is not close by.....I'll have to see....... Anyway...there is my confession!

I'm off to do my time at Curves so that I can say that I did it! THAT is the only reason I am going today....I have to get the house clean and be ready to leave for the beach when dh comes home at 6! YIKES....move my fanny!

Have a great weekend! Take care!
Robyn
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #119  
burned out bus driver

Robyn- have a wonderful weekend, my friend!!!! Look at the positive side, you got a workout in. It is better than nothing!!!!!! (aw so what if you used those 35 additional points)

Mouse- glad you got a swim in. Hope you resolved your ice cream dilemma.
We have Turkey Hill here too (imported from Lancaster Pa, as the label says!) and it is great stuff.

My frame of mind is not much improved today......Ds called last nite, she is coming in for her annual visit in a week. Could be interesting. Drove a route this am (short one, I subbed just for the am). I had to have the dumbest monitor ever.......she had no idea where each student lives. (so, what does she do everyday? am I missing something here?).

Gotta go.........stuff to do..........see ya!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #120  
Swimming Mouse

Afternoon.
Imp is STILL in PA. He refuses to go anywhere near my mom or the room where she's put his carrier. Silly cat! She's going to grab him tomorrow evening when I'm done at the pool, no matter what.
I was going to go swimming today, I WANT to go swimming... and I feel guilty as heck because I've only been once this week (and once tomorrow...), but it hurts. I'm so mad because I have hardly been swimming at all the last few months between having had pneumonia, REd Cross deployment, and now this. I feel like I've given up. And I haven't lifted weights in a year: the gym I'm at now is too far away for me to do both on a workday, and on weekends I swim at the gym in Baltimore. It takes me 30 minutes to get to the gym from my school when there is little traffic; when there is traffic, it can take me 45 minutes to an hour. Do you realize that I can be at the gym in Baltimore in an hour most days????
I don't know what my problem is... I'm just sitting here doing nothing! Maybe I'll be able to go later; the gym is 24 hours, and the pool is open till 11:00 pm...
Robyn: Have a great trip!!!!!!!!
Ginny: I solved the ice cream dilemma by not going, but maybe I'll get some on the way home tonight if I go swimming later. Cold Stone doesn't have much in the way of sugar free... and even their sugar free ice cream has massive calories!