Old 10-05-2005, 11:19 AM   #76  
make your time

S/C/G: 184/184/140

melissa~You've done quite a bit of work toward your goal. The photo journal thing is a great idea!

stilltrying~get well soon!

sandisuze~When you can't face the temptation, hide!

theresa~ I think the best part of fitday.com and nutritiondata.com and other sites like them is the learning curve we go through when we realize what the composition of our diet really is. I try telling my hubby that even though he's a naturally thin person, he still needs to eat lots of veggies and fruits throughout the day--some with every meal--but he thinks that if he has tomatoes and onions on a pizza, that counts for veggies. sigh. I think it's great that you're still meeting your caloric goal for the day, but eventually all of us will have to really focus on true health--the whole foods and veggies and all that. For myself, it's mainly b/c of laziness--I mean, I don't want to be counting calories every day for the rest of my life. It's always the processed stuff, the sauces and dressings, sodas and fatty stuff that throws my calories off. I am not going to gain any weight back by eating fresh veggies. It's too bad that I have such a hard time APPLYING what I totally KNOW to my diet, because I slip up soooo often. Sometimes I just can't get psyched for a salad, but then again, if someone sets out baby carrots or sugar snap peas and hummus I'm all over it. I want to be healthy, I want to be full and I want to be thin...now I'm just working on changing my attitude that those things are mutually exclusive.

All that being said--I did not do well last night and I knew that I wouldn't and braced myself for it. I did get in 45 min of cardio (I'm still sore from weights on Mon!) but we had my bro and sil over for dinner last night--they are moving to TX tomorrow! So we had a little tex-mex dinner of chili, which wasn't fatty in itself b/c I used ground turkey and fresh tomatoes/onion and lots of different beans. The guacomole and cheddar cheese, though...oh yeah and the margaritas ( 2 big ones! with salt!) and then the cinammon roll for dessert...I don't know how many calories I had. Probably a lot. I know I had about 550 under my belt (literally, hee!) before dinner started. I was still full this morning so I just skipped breakfast and I'll have a snack here soon.

Needless to say, thanks to the margaritas, I did not wake up early today. Which means I must must must get up early the next 2 mornings to meet my Oct challenge goal. sheesh.

Good luck to everyone today!
melra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:06 PM   #77  

I can identify with applying what I know. I even took nutrition in college and know all the bad things that happen when you are overweight and the things we SHOULD be eating versus things to avoid as if they were the plague. Why do the icky things have to taste so stinking good? If broccoli tasted like chocolate, there would be a shortage! Morning has been interesting since Josh can't eat. I finally let him go ride his bike. He is very anal about meal times and this is just killing him. I keep reminding him I will take him to MickyD's afterward but it isn't helping much. The kicker is his first appointment is at 11 and that is lunch time so I will have try and keep him away from clocks and my cell phone. I already planned on the bacon ranch salad for myself. 6pts so that isn't bad for a meal. I just hate driving in Seattle or to Seattle but at least the traffic will not be as heavy when we leave.

Everyone have a great OP day and will check in when we get back.
Melissa
neo98292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Hope your little guy pulls through this okay Melissa, and you keep your sanity until getting to McD's. Sometimes being a kid is so tough, and you dont realize that until you're all grown.

Melra, I do know what you mean about applying what you know. Problem for me right now is we can't afford all the healthier foods every week. Hubby is a truck driver so our income fluctuates from week to week, plus we are putting back extra into savings right now because we need to redo the kid's bathroom...the floor is caving in by the tub and it has to get done soon. I stick to the outside of the grocery store, only hitting in the aisles for a few things I need, like diapers and such. Problem is, that fresh stuff goes so FAST, the kids just inhale it and within a few days the house seems so empty. The processed stuff lasts longer, costs less, and is of course, not as good for us. So, I have been compromising and buying a bit of both and mixing it all in together to make the good stuff last longer. We do eat a lot of fruit though, fresh, frozen, and canned in water. I've been going through my recipes and making them lo cal, lo fat as much as possible as well. Turkey burger instead of hamburger (but I do buy the very lean hamburger when it's on sale and stock in the deep freeze), that kind of thing. Tomatoes are outrageously expensive here, so I do buy them diced in the can. We are doing okay, some weeks I have the money to spend a lot more and we eat very healthy, then other weeks it's more processed. All depends on the runs hubby gets.

Of course, all this means that the weeks we eat very healthy are the weeks we don't see him and he wants to buy his own truck, and then for about a year or two I will hardly see his head because it is very tough to get going on your own. He'd make a LOT more money that way, but I would miss him so much. I kind of feel like a single mom sometimes, except I don't have to worry about the finances. Everything else with these kids falls on me. Okay, I'm going to hush now. He's not going to buy his own truck anytime soon, thanks to the high diesal prices, so I don't have to worry about this right now. Off my mind, right now.

Theresa
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:28 PM   #79  

Joshua did sooooo awesome!! Poor little guy didn't get to eat until 1:30 today too. They gave him some crackers when he woke up and he ate them with his eyes closed and then told me he was hungry-LOL. I was good and just got the salad and even declined when Josh offered me a frie cause I didn't have any. Man that salad tasted so good-I was stinking hungry too. Now I am pooped out and since the girls are both sleeping, gonna get a cat nap in.
Melissa
Old 10-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #80  

Theresa-I always try to make fruit and veggies go further with the kids, by slicing the fruit and just giving them slices rather than a whole apple or pear or peach, which they usually don't eat all. My grandsons like a little peanut butter on apple slices or pear slices and it makes it into a good treat.
I am having a tough day-3 fifty calorie icepops, 2 slices of bread, 2 tablespoons of mango sherbet and a corn on the cob. Also some turky and a scrambled egg with an ounce of cheese. I am anxious and worrying about my son today and totally unfocused. I'll be ok calorie wise if I stop now, it's just 6:00 pm, but I am grabbing for junky stuff rather than having any meals. The hopeless fat feelings are starting.
Laura
LauraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #81  

Ok stop now while you are still ok. Hurting yourself won't help your son-pray, take a walk, sit and the closet and yell. Whatever you need to do. Tell that little voice in your head to shut up cause none of it is true. It isn't hopeless-promise. We are all here for you and want only good things for you.
Melissa
Old 10-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #82  

Hang in there LauraB, try not to think about food to help you feel better. Stay on-line and surf the net or read. Anything but going to the fridge!

Melissa - So glad that Josh did well today! Hope the traffic wasn;t too bad for you too!

Theresa - sounds like you are doing great managing the types of food you can afford and how you choose to serve them. I, on the other hand, do not have a creative cooking bone in my body! I make the same things all of the time and keep telling myself I will try new things and never do. Lazy!

Sandi - I hope work is going better for you! Sounds like you have a handle on what your triggers are there, you just need to think about that when you feel the urge to nibble, you are stronger than the temptation.

Caldwell - glad to hear you are staying away from the cheesecake!!!!

I weighed in today and have not lost or gained - Geez I thought the stomach bug would have lost me at least one pound!

I am feeling much better today, thank God it was a one day thing!

Take Care all!!!
StillTrying923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #83  
I hate my scale

S/C/G: 173/165/130

Oh laura, don't let that upset turn into eating. We are here for you - rant away- fuss- yell -kick something - ride your bike!! I said it last night-( now I just need to believe it) eating and nibbling will NOT fix my problems it will not make me happier..
although today I may kick someone unless I am given chocolate-

Things at the office are calmer as to politics -But I have the funeral tomorrow to sit thru and then there will be food galore afterwards. I will sneak back to my office. I may have to be at the service but I don't have to eat. But I do have to make 5 lbs of chicken salad tonight .. Mmmm chicken salad.
So true Melra- when faced with temptation --HIDE or maybe we should say RUN and HIDE
melissa- I hope all comes back with good results. for not eating the fry!
Theresa- I understand about the processed foods- I am always looking for ways to make the meals we eat healthier- I make up my own "hamburger helper " type recipes with chicken and whole wheat noodles and fat free broths and add stuff till it tastes ok I think frozen veggies and fruit canned in it's own juice is fine- I even buy canned veggies like green beans I just buy the No salt added to them. we don't have a budget to buy all organic fresh etc. foods either, But I stopped doing mac and cheese and other not so good foods. My hubby says it's a mean cycle- we want to eat healthy but it does cost more and then they make cheap foods bad for us so the dr.'s make more money as we eat bad cause we can't afford good foods. ( I think he's joking- but I'm not sure?)
Well my little one started "cheernastics" today (cheering tumbling dance etc.. ) she did good and they gave me a video of stretches to do with her during the week for practice - so at least I will stretch and it'll be fun with her.
How are the curves ladies doing??

Well I am off to make chicken salad and wash dishes and do laundry and fit some in there some where, get kids to bed and
sandisuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #84  
I hate my scale

S/C/G: 173/165/130

Kristen- good to hear you are feeling better- I hate to be sick for some reason I gain weight when I have a bug? who knows ?? LOL
sandisuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #85  

I'm glad things are working out for a few of us. Little Joshua pulled through and got to eat, StillTrying feels better...I'm so glad for you both.

Laura, don't be so hard on yourself, you're doing the best you can. You'll be fine, just get something else to do, preferably far away from the kitchen. Can y ou go outside and sit or something? Look at some pictures of yourself fat, or someone who you'd like to look like? Sit down and write out your feelings maybe, that helps me sometimes.

I was shocked when I checked Allie's bookbag this afternoon and pulled out another health alert sheet...then read that it's tipworms. WORMS???? I was freaking out because I never expected something like THAT to go around school, I was expecting strep or something. I called the prediatrician and the nurse said it's not easily passed on, so there's probably nothing to worry about. She said to go in about 2 hours after Allie falls asleep tonight, open her little cheeks and look with a flashlight Apparently, I need to look for little white things, about the size of a piece of rice or smaller, all squirming around. I SO do NOT want to do this! If she has it, I have to go through this big thing of getting everyone in the house treated, washing all the bedding, etc. Wouldn't the teacher notice someone in the class with their hands down their pants scratching around? That's what would have to happen for this to be spread...they have to get an egg in their fingernail and then into someone else's mouth or airways. I just don't like the idea of my little girl having worms...and then that would mean Ty probably has it since he bathes with her..and she sleeps with me sometimes, so maybe me as well. She better not have it, that's all I can hope for. Sorry if I grossed anyone out, but I'm so grossed out just at the thought, and looking in there will be no pleausure

Theresa

Theresa

Last edited by Purplefirefly; 10-05-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:39 PM   #86  

Forgot to mention that I decided to take my measurements today - last time I did it was July 9th. I lost a total of 11.25 inches! I almost fell off my chair! I feel better about hovering here at this weight, because at least I know I am toning my muscles!!

But, it definately has me charged up now to keep at it!!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:45 PM   #87  

Good job with the inches StillTrying...now live up to your name and keep going.

I added to my last message everyone, but it's not pleasant.

Theresa
Old 10-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #88  

6 more days till my weigh in. I did Curves twice this week, 1 more to go. I only managed to get in one 3 k walk, due to the weather it aint this it is, so tonight I am gonna walk (march inplace for 40 min, that is how long it takes me to do my walk) so I think it will be close to the walk. What do you all think? Close or no cigar? Because if that works maybe it will not bother with a treadmill, I guess it would be like walk away the pounds, right? Well it sounds good to me
I know what some of you all are going thruogh with the ex and all that bull. Mine came over last night cause he was driving by and seen the lights on at 9:10 wandered what we were doing cause it was late, give me a break. Just came to spy I'm sure, didnt even knock just came on in. Can't wait till I move and it won't be our house, it will be MY apartment and he cant just walk in.
I just feel so stressed, I can feel the tension in my shoulders right across, feels horrable. It will get easier as time goes by. It will get easier as time goes by. It will get easier as time goes by. It will get easier as time goes by.
Well ladies once again take care, and keep up the good, no great work.
Ice Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #89  

Oh Theresa... I am sorry you have to even think about worms at all... no less have to scope her out while she sleeps!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!
Try not to worry about it too much, sounds like it is not an easy thing to pass along - THANK GOD! I work at a school and we have these type of notices go out all of the time... hand, foot, mouth disease, lice and last year even pertussiss (whooping cough).
Good Luck - I'm praying for ya'!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:53 PM   #90  

Ice, you can get a good workout just marching in place, I do it all the time including yesterday afternoon. I go kind of slow for 5 minutes, then really pick up those feet and march fast and strong. You have to keep up the pace and I swing my arms bent at the side, not a free swing but controlled motion. I did that for an hour yesterday and was sweating just as much as when I do the gazelle for 4 miles (almost an hour). The trick is to keep the pace up, you can't go too slow or it doesn't get the heartrate up. You can do the Biggest Loser workout I posted as well, jogging in place for the jog intervals. That is a really great workout, even if you just do the cardio and skip the weight half.

Theresa