Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 01:37 PM   #76  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Wildfire, what a treat to have such a lovely long post (two even!) from you. Re: yesterday -- I really feel like sometimes the stars are just lined up funny and many of us have bad days all at the same time. I don't think I worked hard enough to overcome my obstacles yesterday, though. Could feel myself sliding into depression, but I won't let it get me Today is a whole other day, right?

Thanks for the explanation of handfasting, too. I FINALLY "got it" about an hour after I read your post -- handfasting, like joining two hands, right? Before the explanation, I was thinking -- well, what could that mean? Only eating foods you can eat from your hand, like finger foods. O i am dense, sometimes

AND thanks a million for the story of your Irishman! I think in some alternate universe you and he are together. That's my concept of reality, now, that all possibilities are played out in a multiplicity of alternate universes. And i find it oddly comforting when things don't go the way I want them too, or life seems unfair. I think, well, in some alternate universe my life is different. I just have to deal with how it is in this one! Oh, the husbands I have (in those universes where I'm married -- also like not being married in some of them).

Pls. don't all think I'm totally mad!

I do have to work today because there are editorial-type things to be done for tomorrow. Love again and always!
Old 04-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #77  
Empress/Queen

[b]Yo, all! Just a quick me-me postie to say I hopped on scale anyhow today and was down .6. This is more than 13 pounds since Sugar Busters ... with NO effort. Very gratifying in the aftermath of the unpleasant situation.

Forced walking pard to stay at park for several more hours than usual and we got extra exercise. Also slidin' into depression, to borrow a term from Wood Nymph. Not sure why I can't get over some things that have happened, but I don't seem to ... mayhap tomorrow, Scarlett!

Thanks for sharin' your story, Wildfire. You are lucky to have such a good friend in your life.

E, yesterday one o' the things I packed for the day was a more portable version of the legal sugar free blueberry "cobbler" ... basically I just made it in a larger dish, spreading the blueberries out a little and tamping the toppings down very well. Then I micro'd it for an extra minute or so and let cool completely and get dry. It resulted in a dense, flat alternative to a big crumbly blueberry cookie or energy bar ... totally "legal" ... I wrapped it in foil and stuck in cooler. It made a great snack when I was having trouble feeling like eating.

To all, M&U ...
Old 04-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #78  

Hello, Royals! So much to catch up on. So much to comment on. And I will. Just not tonight.

Short story: After fighting RA flare for five weeks, I finally went to dr. on Friday who put me back on prednisone to slay the beastie. I put it off so long because I did not want to go back on p. and deal with its weight gaining aspects. But sometimes one must do what one must do. Dh more or less ok, last three days or so has had lots of swelling in legs/feet and problems walking but seems to be going in better direction now.

That's all I'm up to Queenies. More anon.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:55 AM   #79  

Default Good morning!

Hope all are well in the Palace. Feeling sad today, but that's all right. I just have to remember that sometimes I do and I'm so much better off living with the feeling instead of trying to chase it away (mostly with carbs). Sometimes it seems like the best thing to do is acknowledge the feeling, recognize it for what it is and go ahead and feel it. It just started POURING rain here, absolute torrents. Which is good kind of weather for a sad-feeling day. This too shall pass! I'm back from the gym, will meditate and do some yoga or tai chi.

Plan-wise, I'm making a more concentrated effort starting today. I've been doing pretty well, staying away from sugar and wheat and processed stuff, but nibbling a bit much and getting a little too much carb matter. Onward!

Anagram, thank you so much for coming in to say how things were going! Sorry that you have to do the steroids again, but you're right -- gotta do what you gotta do. Remember you're much loved!

Amarantha, your blueberry cobbler/square thing sounds healthy, yummy, and convenient! Recipe, pls!

K. My first semi-official day as Editor (pronounce in a deep, resonant voice). I am off to fight dragons. Love to all!

Old 04-25-2005, 07:18 AM   #80  

Hello all!

Hope everyone is well!

here's a great way to get our Monday off to good start!!

Why do people constantly return to the refrigerator with hopes that something new to eat will have materialized?

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?

Why is it that no plastic bag will open from the end you first try?

How do those dead bugs get into those closed light fixtures?

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our ankle with a shopping cart then apologizes for doing so, why do we say, "It's all right". Well, it isn't all right so why don't we say, "That hurt, you stupid idiot?"

Why is it that whenever you attempt to catch
something that's falling off the table you always
manage to knock something else over?

In winter, why do we try to keep the house as warm as it was in summer when we complained about the heat?

Why do you never hear father-in-law jokes?

If at first you don't succeed, shouldn't you try
doing it like your wife told you to do it?

And obviously if at first you don't succeed, then
don't take up sky diving!

And my FAVORITE......

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every
four persons is suffering from some sort of mental
illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:55 AM   #81  
Empress/Queen

Talking Yo, it's Monday! How marvelous!

Hi, Anagramatic! It is so good to hear from you and know you are ok despite having to go on the medication ... definitely gotta do right by thy bod and glad it is helping.

Arabella, congrats on thy assumption of the EDITOR position! Yea, you will slay the dragons handily.

K, thanks for the smiles today; I am sad also for some reason and it was fun to read these.

Wood Nymph, the recipe for my "legal" (for Sugar Busters) quick cobbler breakfast is to put a little fruit in the bottom of a microwaveable bowl (I typically use frozen UNSWEETENED cherries, blueberries, peaches, or fresh diced pear); top with a layer of 1/8 cup dry Scottish porridge oats (not cr*ppy instant oatmeal or finely milled Scottish or Irish oatmeal ... big, hard PORRIDGE oats) and a layer of 1/4 cup almond meal/flour (this is just ground up almonds ... also like to use this to "bread" chicken or vege dishes); tamp down the toppings into a fake "crust" and spray with a butter spray product that doesn't have any high glycemic additives (like maltodextrin), microwave approximately two minutes or so and remove from the micowave; let set until the "crust" gets dry and "crustlike" ... this tastes (to me) just like "cobbler" or pie but it's really just almonds, fruit and oats ... THERE IS NO NEED TO SWEETEN THIS WITH ANYTHING as almonds, fruit and oats are naturally sweet. The "bar" or "cookie" is formed, as said above, by just flattening it down into a bigger circle by using a larger dish and cooking a bit longer.

This is my 100th day of Sugar Busters. I did NOT have a good weekend as I felt truly humiliated by the "unpleasant thing" on Saturday, but I know that the 100 day mark is a sign that I have to get over beating myself over the head for what led up to Saturday and I need to move forward with my life and regain my natural optimism and hope for the future.

An odd thing that came out of Saturday is that I received a job offer ... which I'm not going to take, but it was an interesting thought. It's well to remember that out of painful experiences, opportunities can arise.

I WOULD LIKE TO POST A NEW CHALLENGE ON MAY 2 (or someone else can) AND CONTINUE OUR DISCUSSIONS BUT WANNA MAKE SURE EVERYONE IS OK WITH THAT AND GET EVERYONE'S IDEAS!!!! FEEDBACK, PLEASE?

Last edited by Amarantha2; 04-25-2005 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Can't spell!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:50 PM   #82  

Definitely okay with the new challenge, although I'm going to continue on with the same stuff, which has been very beneficial. Thank you, Amarantha -- I don't think I would have managed to start meditating/getting more consistent w/mind-body exercise without the challenge. Thanks also for the recipe, which I can't wait to make -- what a fantastic breakfast idea. I do also hate the ground-up oats that they call "Scottish oat." I like both the large-flake oats and the whole things (are they called "oat groats?").
Old 04-25-2005, 05:39 PM   #83  
Empress/Queen

Arabella, definitely I am also going to continue with my gentle and effective meditative and eating habits, too, just think it'd be fun to have a new "challenge" with perhaps a new holiday or season to focus on ...

I can't find the oat "groats" here, but yes I think those are whole oats ... would love to get some. I use what is called Scottish "porridge oats" ... I used to confuse it with the Scottish oatmeal (the very finely ground stuff), but it's not the same. There's also Irish or steel-cut oats and these are very finely milled also.

You can also take oatmeal (NOT instant or quick cooking stuff) and whir in blender to make oat flour. I believe E posted a use for that a day or so ago. I think it would be acceptible on my Sugar Busters ... not sure, though.

I am done working for the day and taking some time off to get my head in shape ... always very important, dinna ye think, bairns!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:37 PM   #84  

Hello all!

Empress, the recipe sounds so easy! I am going to reread it as I am not getting it.... too easy I guess....what could I substitute for almond flour? I have lots of walnuts... whole wheat flour.... hmmmmm

Seems like I too have that slippery feeling but am finding that as make an honest effort of getting my 10,000 steps or equivalent in, I do feel better.
More as the tai chi instructor says " inward smiling".... I know I pulled a muscle in my neck/shoulder area that is very sensitive and am feeling an area in one knee that is warning me to be very careful.....
Another reason to make sure I can have options when I can't do more physical things.....

Empress, you have been my inspiration to get to the gym EVEN if its ONLY for the shower.... after all, why should I not take full advantage of my membership .... after all, its my membership.... why not??

Anagram... sorry about the ra.... did I ever tell you we had a sub Weight Watchers leader who often must take steroids for asthma??? She was very upset by a 10-12 lb gain until she saw her doctor after the gain. He wanted to know what she was eating.... etc... She expected his response to be grim.
Instead, he was enthusiastic and uplifting as the average patient gained 3x what she had gained.... she had taught him how that a 30-40 lb gain didnt have to happen....Her message to us was, life happens, you do what you can...
and keep doing it....

I know you must have tons of info from folks saying " this helps, that helps, spinning sideways, and singing Popeye the sailor man..... "
You know what makes a difference... betcha even your dh knows....

Wildfire, I can't wait to have time to read your posts....
I am a little Irish myself and also do believe that there are many loves in our lives, and some of them are Ones that Got Away becuase the Timing Was Not Right. or I'm just a crazy romantic.

Wood Nymph.... I can relate. And it seems as though the moon is getting full again too..... So... we must treat ourselves gently. Listen to great music, make sure we get to our classes..... Sometimes when we think we are too busy is when we need them most.....

And off I go to my weighin meeting.....

we'll see....

Might have to play the "Muscle is denser than fat so the same area can weigh more."

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:41 PM   #85  
deleted2

Wildfire, thanks for telling us the rest of the story. It's a great story--here's to many more years with your friend!

Anagram's back! I was starting to get worried.

Kaylets, thanks for the laffs for the day. I do that vacuum thing all the time, and feel silly EVERY time!

Amarantha, glad the unpleasantness is behind you. And congrats on your 100 days!!!!!! Come on, a year ago at this time, would you have believed it?!

Here's what happened to me Saturday: we had lunch in a nearby town with some friends. And afterwards we're wandering thru town, looking in the shops, and we go into one store and there's about 15 belly dancers in full regalia! They'd just finished a demo and the teacher was posting stuff about classes so I talked to her about it, and told her about my experience with learning from videos and she told me they were about to do a little freestyle and would I like to join them? Well, some power took hold of me and I took off my shoes, someone tied a hip scarf on me and the music started and so did I! It was such fun, I grinned thru the whole thing and my friends got to see a different side of me too! Anyway, looks like I'll be taking those classes just for the sheer joy of it!
And the moral of the story is if I didn't just put myself out there and do it, I never would've known.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:03 PM   #86  

YAY Eydie, Yes, I am sure you're friends were ADMIRING how terrific it was that you knew the dancing well enough to say " Why not!"....

And the great part about grinning is that you don't have to say a thing!

Time for me to call it a day....

Last cup time!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:33 PM   #87  
Empress/Queen

K, the almond "flour" is just crushed almonds, so I'd think any crushed nuts would do. The advantage of this, for my low glycemic diet, is that it's NOT wheat! Also, the almond meal is sweet and crumbly and has natural oils that makes a perfect "piecrust," so that's why I'm so in love with the stuff. I buy two sacks of it a month and keep in fridge.

E, I'm glad too! This is really the first day in a long time I've felt better! Thinking of you encountering the belly dancers! I've taken belly dancing classes and it's great exercise and fun.

K, unfortunately the gym shower lure doesn't work for me anymore as I broke down and bought a water heater! However, I've been talking to my old trainer (well, she's young, but I've used her before, so ... anyhow ...) and am going to set up two sessions (which she owes me from before) for her to work with me and maybe I can get my exercise mojo back.

I was just reading an article denouncing Sugar Busters ... haven't seen one of these in a long time ... maybe it means they wrote another SB book ... anyhow it was so funny to read the mainstream and oft-repeated dietician's tirade against the idea that refined sugar is "bad" and that the whole premise of SB (and of the South Beach Diet, which is similar in Phase II) that you can lose weight and prevent disease by low glycemic eating. It was funny because I KNOW this works (e.g., the low glycemic, refined sugar-free lifestyle). And I know refined sugar is bad, for me at least.

Apologies to anyone who takes offense over so characterizing that ol' Sugar Demon!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:46 AM   #88  

So much activity and emotion in the court! Hail, Punkin, and I'm sorry about all your recent pain. Hugs to you, Ceara, as you count down to the big H. Have you a new contract yet? And sorry about your Saturday unpleasantness, Empress. And a job offer too. Hurrah - even if it wasn't your cup of tea. Glad you're feeling a bit brighter today. Hope the same is true for Wood nymph. I always tend to have a down day at or just after full moon but am a bit thrown off currently.

Eydie, Smiles about your spontaneous belly dance! Recently the subject came up in locker room at pool and I threw those nice old ladies a hip drop that brought down the house. Can't do much of it anymore but a hip drop is so almost second nature. They thought this old lady was a real fruitcake, methinks.

And I am so proud of you, Arabella! It's almost like I MADE EDITOR. Hope your first day went well. Glad to see you posting, wsw. That's always a good day.

And I loved the Irishman saga as well. I don't know what he looks like but I'm picturing him with bright blue eyes and curly black hair (based on an old beau who was also a stalwart in my young life now that I'm old enough and wise enough to appreciate that). How wonderful you were so blessed and so sad he wouldn't/couldn't let you be there for him when he needed you.

And congrats to our sugar free queens. ONE HUNDRED DAYS! AND GETTING CLOSE ON A YEAR NOW FOR EYDIE. INSPIRATIONAL.

How was weigh in tonight, Kaylets? Your loss is inspiring too. How goes the quest to become a leader?

Recent QODs - 70 is perfect temp for me. Princesses always make me smile even when P.4 told me the other week that I'm fat. She was merely being observant but I liked it better when she told me I was "soft". She also told me her 5 birthday (not until August) is going to be a princess party and I can come but I must wear a skirt or dress (no pants, she specified) and heels. She was a wee disappointed when I owned up to not owning a tiara but said I could wear a hat instead. I may just have to get some sort of tiara. Can't say I'm not a good sport.

Anyway, in all my AWOL time, DH and I had a little getaway to a state park resort in WV. End of world but just what we needed. Highlight was a deer standing about 15 feet from our door when we came in one night.

I'll only be on the steroids about three weeks if all goes well. I had gained about three pounds in the six weeks since I had been to dr. before. It was getting very depressing. However, I've lost those since the steroids reduced the swelling. Am trying to be very careful to limit any real gains but am not putting mucho stress on.

The mind/body thing has been brought home to me starkly these last few weeks. So it's a good sprint even though I've missed most of it. I have managed to get to pool, some tai chi, etc. but only moderately moving as joints and all have been so sore. even got to pool and hot tub twice on getaway.

Loving all the spring trees and flowers. Moved two little plants (perennials) today. So much rainy weather. I know it's April and all but need my sunshine for the bones and brain.

I'm still missing much, I'd say, but feel fairly caught up. 'Nite, all.

Last edited by anagram; 04-26-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:44 AM   #89  

Hello all!

Thought of the day :

"There is choice possible to us at any moment, as long as we live....."
---Muriel Rukeyser

Question of the day :

"Other than your keys, what else always goes with you, everytime you leave your house?"

Our "new walking doggie routine" almost didnt happen this morning as DH had a very painful night w/ a bad shoulder/ rotocuff injury. But after a cup of coffee he changed his mind. Although he will be at work w/ only seconds to spare, at least its a better late than not.

And I have to admit, as soon as he said he wasnt up to it, I didnt argue or volunteer to take the dogs w/out him.....

and then, go figure, the sweats I was wearing must have been too big as DH's pedometer registerd 750 steps and mine only 160...... I moved the pedometer to my underpants and just packing lunches, etc, registered 450 so there's a lesson for you!

Time to head out for work...

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:05 AM   #90  
deleted2

Good pedometer tips, Kaylets. I've had days where I know mine's off and always just assumed something was wrong with the thing. Now I know it goes on my underwear, thanks to you!

? of the day: I never leave the house without my food journal. If I don't write it all down right away, I forget. And I always take water and a snack of some kind. Yep, it always comes down to food with me!

Closed Thread