Old 03-03-2005, 09:12 PM   #46  
Kim

Today's went pretty well so far. I did 90 minutes of cardio, which included a step class, 15 minutes on the stairclimber, running 1 mile and walking 1.5 miles. So far, I've eaten some fat free ice cream (nutritious breakfast, huh?) and 1/2 serving of almonds, and I'm getting ready to make a turkey sandwich.

Robin-you're doing so good resisting temptation and with your walking. Keep it up, girl!

Kelly-way to go with the walking and not stuffing yourself on the pasta! Hopefully we'll have some more newcomers start posting. I was looking back through our posts and there are a lot that have quit posting. I also enjoy the encouragement I get here.

Have a great night!
kimberlydrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:21 PM   #47  
Sherrie

Hi everyone!

I was just cleaning out some old files on my computer at work and I came across this one about inner peace that I received last year. I'm sure it made it's way around the internet but can't resist sharing it here....

----------------

DR PHIL'S GUIDE TO INNER PEACE

I am passing this on to you because it definitely worked for me and we all could use more calm in our lives. By following the simple advice I heard on a Dr. Phil show, I have finally found inner peace.

Dr. Phil proclaimed the way to achieve inner peace is to finish all the things you have started. So I looked around my house to see things I started and hadn't finished; and, before leaving the house this morning I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of White Zinfandel, a bottle of Baileys, a bottle of Kahlua, a package of Oreos, the remainder of both Prozac and Valium prescriptions, the rest of the Cheesecake, some Saltines and a box of Chocolates.

You have no idea how freaking good I feel.

---------------

Okay, so I haven't been quite that bad -- I haven't had any prescription drugs and I only had two alcoholic drinks last Friday. I have been heavy on the popcorn and light on the salad (terrible TOM cravings). I'm looking forward to a great new week! I hope all of you are too!
Abstract927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:48 AM   #48  
Kim

Sherrie- I love that....sounds like me, lol. I've done well with my exercise, but I'm totally slacking on my eating. I went to an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast after work this morning. I'm such a bad girl. The exercise is saving me though. At least I'm maintaining with the workouts. I need to try the 5 day diet again on Monday. I can do it this time. I would really like to wear that bathing suit this summer and if I don't get serious, it's probably not going to happen. I'm so close. If I could just lose 10 more pounds, I would probably wear one. I need to just make my mind up. I could use some motivation. Hope all of you are having a great weekend.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:10 PM   #49  
Sherrie

Kim - great job keeping up with the exercise. Have you seen 'Supersize Me"? The documentary about the guy who eats nothing but McDonald's for a month and has serious health concerns at the end of it in terms of weight gain, blood chemistry and stuff. At least I think that's right -- I've heard all about it from friends but I haven't actually seen it yet myself. Anyway, a guy from Edmonton, Alberta decided he would eat the same diet as the documentary film maker for a month -- but he would exercise 5-6 hours a day (who has the time) Anyway...his results are a testament to the power of exercise. He lost something like 17 pounds, lowered his cholesterol and triglicerides. Raised his good cholesterol. And reduced his body fat composition. Don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure his menu was pretty nutritionally void and clearly the fat content was high (particularly the saturated kind) but the exercise seems to have saved him at least in the short term.

Keep it up girlfriend - you'll be in that bathing suit before you know it. You've worked so hard. Ten pounds or no, I'd say live what you got and put on that darn bathing suit. You look fabulous!
Old 03-06-2005, 01:24 AM   #50  
Kim

I just love you Sherrie.... you're such a sweetheart. I think I will. My friends always say that I'm too hard on myself. Life is too short. I have seen supersize me, and it is a real eye-opener. I hadn't heard about the exercise guy though. That's some very good info. I love to eat so much, that I just need to keep up with the workouts ....maybe even step them up a little to start losing again. I'd rather eat what I want and just exercise more.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #51  

Default I'm back!

Hello there!

After reading some of the posts you all have posted, Thanks Sherri for thinking about me from time to time!

Well, many of you mentioned you had fallen off the wagon & then got hit by the truck...In my case not only did I fall of the wagon but then there was this Mac Truck that ran me over...backed up (over me), ran over me again & repeated this vicious cycle for almost a month! I have all but quit exercising (maybe working out once a week), & binging like I hadn't eaten in weeks! All because I am weak when it comes to handling stressful situations in my personal life. I have been in a depressed state of mind & it has caused me to inflict harmful habits back into my life.

As my 38th birthday approaches (tuesday),the realization that my goals will not be reached if I continue on this path, has set in. As Dr. Phil would ask, "How's that working for you?" keeps popping in my mind. My depression/anger I'm feeling has hurt no one but myself & is NOT working for me at all! But now...I'm hear to declare I'm back on the wagon & holding on for dear life!

My DH & I joined a cabbage ball league & our first game was Friday night. We had a blast! We have 3 team-mates that are in their early 20's...then there's me...and the other 10 players are all between 45-56! It was so funny! The team we played against were all in their 20's and have played in this league for 3 years. They beat us 6-0. But I hadn't laughed so hard in a long time. The other team was so serious, but we were playing just for the fun of it! I asked my DH if he wanted to play because I thought it would be a good way to get in some more excercise & boy was I right! we are so sore today, but it's a good soreness (if you know what I mean).

Well, it's sunday; and time to sit down & plan my meals for the week (hadn't done that in a while either). Thanks for putting up with me & I look forward to hearing from you all soon. Oh...to all who have joined this forum since I went MIA...welcome!
I look forward to getting to know you all!

Loren

Loren DeLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #52  
Sherrie

Welcome back Loren Hey! I know that mac truck! It has had its way with me more than a couple of times. What is important is that you've picked yourself up and are, as Dr. Phil would say, a willing spirit. That mac truck will likely be back but just keep getting up. And next time it hits you get out of the way before it backs up over you again. We're here to support you and to share in your journey. Oh, and happy, happy birthday. I've got a few weeks of experience and from what I can tell - 38's not too bad!

Kim, I just have to ask - forgive me if I missed this somewhere early in the postings -- are you doing resitance/strength training or just focusing on cardio? And seriously - celebrate your success and get into that suit!

I did a spell on the treadmill this morning and planned a bowflex workout this afternoon when disaster struck. Now forgive me cause I just need to vent a little. My dh has been renovating our basement into my new studio -- in fact it would have been ready to move into it by mid-week. Everything was fine when he worked down there this morning - he came up for lunch - and by the time he went back down after lunch - FLOOD!!!!! We've never had one lick of trouble in the twelve years we've lived in this home. Now new walls, insulation, flooring -- completely destroyed.

We've been renovating the whole house so we have a ton of stuff down there - expensive tiles, laminate flooring, wood for projects, all our tools, and the storage of all the usual: Christmas decorations, luggage, camping gear etc. Now my exercise room is jam packed with everything that we salvaged. So I won't be moving into my studio anytime soon and I have a couple of deadlines approaching. My old (too small) studio has been packed up for the move downstairs so I can't find anything. And to make matters worse, I can't (and won't for a long time by the look of things) access a single piece of equipment in my exercise room. We haven't been able to figure out what the cause of the water is yet but I'm hoping there's nothing to serious to fix. Can you believe that?!? One minute you're sailing along and then whamo! Ain't life always like that? Crazy!

I have to say that this week is NOT starting off in grand fashion! Is there a funky alignment in the planets that I don't know about? As the french say, C'est la vive -- such is life......it could always be worse. On that scale, this isn't that bad. ....still makes me sad though
Old 03-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #53  
Kim

LAUREN!!!!!We have missed you!!!! Are you going to count points again? I kindof still do that, but mainly I'm logging my food and activities at Fitday.com. I think I like that better.

Sherry-I'm so sorry to hear about your flooding issues. That's aweful. I know that would have to be so stressful. You'll be in my prayers. I usually do strength training/weights on Tues. and Thurs. I do cardio for 60-90 minutes Mon-Fri. Most of the time I do WATP 3 mile on Sat. or Sun.(but didn't this weekend).

I'm pretty exhausted. I had such a busy weekend at work and just got home. I'm going to try to get some sleep before it's time to pick up my son from school. Have a great day!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #54  
Robin

S/C/G: 225/223/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Howdy!

Good morning everyone! My dh and I made a mad dash to Montana Friday night and came back Saturday night. Was so exhausted when we got back, I went to bed at 8:30PM and, except for getting up three times to go to the bathroom, slept through until 11:00AM the next morning. 15 hours - what a slug! Then we had to head to Washington on Sunday for my niece's birthday. So, I didn't have time to check in this weekend. My diet and exercise suffered tremendously. My food intake on Sunday was two slices of toast with natural fruit jam, some chips, salsa, and cheese dip, a very small slice of birthday cake, and a 12" Subway sandwich. I suppose it could have been much worse, but still not conducive to losing weight. Plus riding around in the truck most of the weekend didn't help either. But I'm back at it today.

Loren: Nice to meet you. And happy birthday tomorrow. I'm 37, too, and will be 38 in October. I think it's a good age, although I hate being called "maam" by the carry outs at the grocery store.

Sherrie: I am so sorry to hear about your flooding problems. Did you find out what caused it? Since my dh and I are still in the planning stages for our house, I'm going to make sure we have a drain in the floor of the basement. Will your insurance cover the damage? What a mess! I'll be praying for you, too. And I know this is a stretch, but think of the calories that you'll burn cleaning up the mess. OMG, I just can't imagine it. Again, I'm so sorry. And I loved the Dr. Phil item you posted. It reminds me of the package of Oreos that I ate, entirely, on New Years Eve because I didn't want them around the house after the first of the year. I definitely completed that project!

Take care everyone, and have a great day!
Robin
rtardif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #55  

Good Morning Ladies,

Hea there Sherrie...Happy (be-lated) Birthday! I hope it was a good day for you on your day.
I hate to hear about your flooding issue ...that really bites the big one!

Hello Kim...sounds like you're still pumped with the excercise thing! ...wish I could get as excited as you are about it.

So far I've had a smoothie for brunch & went to the fitness club where I tried (for the first time) that elliptical thing...THAT HURT!!! I was only on that ride for 5 minutes & when I got off, my legs felt like they were cooked spaghetti noodles . So I got on the treadmill & walked at a brisk pace for 2.5 miles. I'm gonna go back this evening with my DH to do my strength training & ride that elliptical thing for another 5 mins! I'm feeling like that machine has it in for me & I just may decide to conquer it! LOL

Yes Kim I am back to counting points. My mother is trying (too hard if you ask me) to get me to try Atkins. I've been doing WW for so long, it's all I know (except for binging...I know that all too well). Atkings goes totally against WW...besides, I have 2 boys I still feed; their dad died at age 41 because of a heart attack...they were both diagnosed with high triglicerides several years ago...so for thier sake, I feel like low fat is best. I will definatly check into Fitday.com though...can't hurt!

I finally ordered the Winsor Pilates DVDs...can't wait till they come in!

Well ladies...I'm gonna sign off for now...Chat at ya'll later! Good Luck Sherrie...I'll be praying for you & your home.

Loren

Loren DeLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #56  
Fit by Forty

Default Good afternoon ladies

First I want to say...welcome back to Loren! As Oprah said......no more excuses. It's time we put ourselves first. Great to have you back on board.

Robin--Sheesh....you've had a busy weekend. You didn't do all that bad for your eating. It could of been alot worse. Thank God it's a new day and a new week for us.

Sherry--I'm sorry to hear about your flooding basement. That really sucks. We've only lived in this house for 2 yrs and the first year we never had any problems with our basement leaking/flooding. But this winter...when we had a warm spell and some rain for a few days, our basement was leaking/flooding. Thank goodness that I don't have anything of real value down there. It was just a pain in the a** bailing it out.

Kim--You are doing great with exercise! I wish I was that loyal to it! Hope you are getting some much needed rest from having a busy weekend.

Loren--Please tell me....what is a cabbage ball team? LOL I found the eliptical trainer gave me a really good workout. At first..I could only go on if for so long. Then I'd push myself to go for a few minutes longer each time I got on it.

Well nothing new with me. I totally fell of the wagon this past weekend. Drank and ate myself into oblivion(sp). I got on the scales this morning thinking that I'm going to pay for it now. But, lo and be hold, I didn't gain anything. Nor did I lose anything. So I'd better smarten up this week or else I'm liable to have a gain next week!

Well, I'm off to check out some other threads. I'll chat with you all later.
krazykellyontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #57  

Default I'm Back!

Hi Ladies! I'm back! Barely! I have survived the move. We are in the new house and are about 75% done with the packing. There are boxes everywhere! In the new house we have a workout room....it will be so cool once I can find it! I just need to get it set up the way I want it. I'm hoping with a room dedicated to exercise I will be really motivated.

Since the packing and moving began I have not exercised one little bit and have eatten almost nothing but fast food. I feel terrible! Eating like this makes you just feel like warm dog poop! I finally went to the store and stocked up on the good stuff so today is the day! I probably won't exercise until tomorrow or the next day but I will exercise this week. That is a promise to me!

Keep up the good work Ladies! When you fall off the wagon get right back on! Keep drinking that water too!

Lisa
mama2a&c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:27 PM   #58  
Robin

S/C/G: 225/223/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Hi again.

Hello again everyone. I am really dragging today. I'm working okay, and I went for my first walk this morning. But I sure feel like I could use some more sleep. I'm going to go for another walk in a few minutes, and then again on my afternoon break. My walks at work are about a mile up and down hills, and I do them in 15 minutes, so I'm walking at a good pace. At least my heart rate does go up. I won't be able to do my two mile walk tonight since my dh and I are meeting with a potential general contractor for our new house. I'm very excited, but I was making a list this weekend of everything we need to do, and it was very overwhelming. It's going to take every bit of will power I can muster to avoid stress eating during all of this. And like Lisa, I expect there will be a LOT of fast food eaten. I just hope I can burn enough calories to keep the weight off.

Loren: I agree with you about the Atkins diet. I prefer to watch my fat and processed sugar intake. I refuse to follow the diet of a person who dies of a heart attack. Meat and cheese are not low fat. And while people may lose weight temporarily with this diet, they're going to either regain it later, or they're going to suffer other health problems. A balanced, low fat, low processed food diet is the way to go for long-term results. I think that's also what WW is based on.

Sherrie: You mentioned that you have a bowflex. Do you like it? And do you think it is worth the price? My dh and I had a big weight set before we moved to Idaho last year. But we didn't want to move it because it was so big and bulky, not to mention heavy. We are considering the bowflex system because it is lighter and takes up a lot less space. But they're kind of spendy. And we would want to get most of the attachments. So, what is your true opinion of it?

Have a great day everyone.
Robin
rtardif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #59  
Sherrie

Hi Everyone! It's great to see so many of you back!

Robin: I am so impressed that you are able to fit walking into so much of your day. Planning that new home sounds really exciting. I love my bowflex but as you mentioned the downside is the price. I used to lift free weights regularly, then purchased a home universal with weight plates a zillion years ago. I loved that too until I developed fibromyalgia in my early twenties. I had to give up weight training for a lot of years -- I'm just getting back at it the past year. The things I love about the bowflex are the variety of exercises you can do (including cardio rowing on a number of models), the lighter weight of the machine, the fact that I can fold up the bench if I need to get it out of the way, the ease and speed of moving between exercises, the quick setup time for each exercise or to change the weight, how smooth the movement is - no jarring, no jerking, no having to get a heavy weight into position (that's big - it is much easier on my joints than when you have to support the weight of plates as you get into position to do an exercise). The resistance you feel with the power rod technology is different than what you're used to with plates and 100 pounds on the bowflex doesn't feel the same as when you are using free weights. That being said - you definitely get results with bowflex because you are having to use a lot of stabilizer muscles - instead of bench pressing with a bar you are bench pressing with both arms independently using cables - you are much more engaged than when you have the bar to stabilize you. All that being said, there are some drawbacks....all models are not created equal so you really should try the model you are looking at if possible before you buy to determine if it will meet your needs. I prefer working my hamstrings lying face down as opposed to standing hamstring curls - one at a time. The models that do this have benches that are adjustable to accommodate that. Not all of the benches adjust the same way and some feel more stable than others. Does it do anything other home gyms won't? You can get a good workout on all of them and other ones are a lot less expensive. As I said, some bowflex models allow for cardio rowing and the power rods are guaranteed for life but it is still a lot of money. I haven't been disappointed in mine at all. I've heard from others who opted for a Weider crossbow because it was half the money (and they have that fancy smancy platinum one that makes all of the setups and adjustments for you) feedback I found online from owners wasn't all that positive though so I opted for bowflex. I hope that helps. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them as best I can.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #60  
Sherrie

My last post was getting long so I'll continue here if you don't mind....

Lisa - welcome back. Glad to hear you are getting settled. An exercise room in your home is a wonderful thing. Enjoy it.

Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. My new studio is completely gone now. We spent Sunday evening and all day today tearing it back down. Sigh. We had a lot of rain in the fall which completely saturated the ground. Then winter and snow, and freezing rain, and snow. And now the big thaw. The ground can't absorb any more water and the weeping tile around the house is completely overwhelmed so the water accumulated in one of the window wells and came through the bottom of the window. So the good news is that nothing structural is wrong with our home. The bad news is that we are continually bailing the window well out because it keeps filling up from the bottom. The other bad news is that insurance won't cover any of the damage "because the water came in from outside". What is up with that? My dh is now into his busy time at work so our renovation time for this year is pretty much up. We'll finish getting everything out of the basement and dry it out then I'm afraid it'll have to wait until next winter to get re-built. Unfortunately I already packed up my old studio so I'll have to go undo all of that. It looks like I'm going to be in a cramped space for a while longer. But it could have been worse. It could have been a week later after I was all moved in and I could have lost a bunch of paintings. It just makes me sad -- all the work my dh put into it the sweet man.

Loren - have a happy day.

Kelly - climb back on that wagon. Half the time I feel like it's dragging me but I'm not letting go...

Kim - thank you for your kind words.

Loren - too funny! that eliptical comment.

Have a fantastic tomorrow!