Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 05:14 PM   #106  

Quick check in postie on this fine St. Patrick's day, which I celebrate with great gusto (to answer the QOD). Quite soon I get to leave work and then...well, a bit of Irish Bar hopping and then to First Ave. (for those of you who are not from round these parts, it is famous for being the bar in the movie Purple Rain) to hear some Irish music. One of my favorite days of the year becuase it is a holiday with no expectations, if you know what I mean. It is absolutely not about entertaining family or buying presents (although I love buying presents), but simply about enjoying the day.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:38 PM   #107  
Hot Stuff

Default The Prodigal Soul Returns

Hi girls! Happy St. Patrick's Day! Yes, I celebrate....I'm Irish by association, you know. AND I have my very own Irishman. I figure that qualifies me.

Haven't read posts, just wanted to say hello and let you know I haven't slid off the planet. I should be around more now that we are down to the last few boxes and the place is clean. We love our new house!

Missed you all and I'll catch up this weekend!
Old 03-18-2005, 04:56 AM   #108  

Wildfire, darlin' - how great to "see" you. We'll all be anxiously waiting to hear more - about your new house AND about that intriguing Irishman! You just tantalize our inquiring minds.

Last edited by anagram; 03-18-2005 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:32 AM   #109  

hello all!

FRIDAY!~ been a roller coaster week .... work review... ( went better than expected , wipe sweat off brow!) .... and finally have to admit .... its time for Black Cohosh.... really am convinced the hot flashes have begun....
Any insight or advice much appreciated...

Also, we've decided on the spur of the moment, since our garage door needs replacement, to instead, make the garage a room.... which means major sort and toss....Am excited as am hoping to gain a large "garden" window.

Glad to see you Wildfire! Am interested to hear more!

Eydie! Saw a PBS special on Pilates and have to admit, had no idea the benefits for back pain. Have to let DH know, he has chronic problems that could benefit. Also noticed the older ladies upper arms didnt "wave" around too much.... I liked that!

Am again rushing, my best to everyone, wishI could stay and chat personally w/ you all!

Thought of the day :

"Life is ours to be spent, not to be saved."
--D.H. Lawrence

Question of the day :

"What are your plans for the weekend?"

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 03-18-2005, 06:43 AM   #110  
deleted2

Hi Wildfire! I knew you'd be back! Want to hear more about your nest--send pics!

Kaylets, I wonder if I could catch this Pilates special sometime. Did you catch the title? I'd love to see it. I'm really enjoying my Pilates machine--I think it's really helping with toning my arms more. And the day after the infamous flood at work, I did 40 minutes and felt noticably better. The more you strengthen your core, the stronger your back is--because your back's not doing all the work. It's all really interesting. I still prefer the mat exercises to the machine, btw.

Snowed here yesterday and Garry and I had the day off. We made fruit-sweet. peanut butter cookies and chocolate biscotti. I've found some really great sugar-free recipes lately!

Old 03-18-2005, 07:55 AM   #111  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Good morning, All s!

Welcome back, Wildfire! Glad to hear you're happily nesting!

Kaylets, congrats on your good review! Nice to have it over with, I bet. I celebrated St. Paddy's day by sending out a newsletter "It's good to be green!" about recycling electronics (donating, redistributing, or proper final disposal). Don't know what to say about the hot flashes. I know that for me stress, alcohol and caffeine are triggers, so trying to limit those is crucial. Getting serious exercise on a regular basis helps a lot. One of my sisters said that a calcium magnesium supplement did wonders for her, but that it has to be chelated.

Eydie, Garry made cookies with you? Wow! DH and I have cooked together occasionally, but I've never known him to bake. Sounds very cozy!

Ok -- I've got a reader survey to finish putting together today. I'll let you know when it goes out so you can send me good vibes!

Love to all, mentioned or un- ... Let's make this a good one!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:56 PM   #112  
Momma Frog

Quickie postie. Wanted to post Sydney's pix. I'll be back on tonight to catch up. These are valentines pix and she was 4 months old. She'll be 6 months on the 28th.
Let's see if this works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babiez1tweak.jpg (25.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg babiez2tweak.jpg (31.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #113  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Hey, FROGGER!!! Sydney is ADORABLE -- what a cutie patootie!
Old 03-19-2005, 12:00 PM   #114  
deleted2

Wow, Frogger, has it been that long? Arabella's right, Sydney is a cutie-pants!

How's everybody this weekend? I'm okay, but we had to de-skunk a dog last night at about 11:00. What a chore. Now there's just a little 3" quadrant of Lupin's face that's still rather pungent, but at least he can come back inside now.
I almost feel ill, so I'm going to take it easy today. had planned a big cardio day for myself but I don't think it's in the cards--maybe some yoga and Pilates and dumbells while I watch the Discovery health challenge marathon.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:25 PM   #115  

Hello all!

AH FROGGER!!!! SHE IS PERFECT!! SUCH A CUTIE!!! THANKS FOR SHARING!!
can't wait to hear more!

Eydie-- I will see what I can find about the local listings here -- maybe, maybe maybe, I'll even have a link!!!

WoodNymph--Hee,hee, DH and I just bought buy 1 get 1==zinc, magnesium and calcium...not chelated... hee hee!! I bought black cohosh and will see. I know another lady who swore by it.

What I 'd really like is some sort of natural safe diuretic. I have decided that 1 lb on the WW scale vs what my scale says has just gone as far as I can stand it! 1 lb has got to be mostly water right???
I was thinking of saurekraut since caffeine is out of the question but then remembered the "brine".....
Dr Weil says cucumbers, celery and onions are diruetics... I never noticed... everyone says asaragus too... at least that one's thing I like....

Meanwhile, am trying to get more things sorted by category ... .... this would be so much easier if it was warmer and I could be hauling it outside for a yardsale! I am so DONE w/ this stuff!

but.... still too much of a tightwad to trash it.....

I will find a corner in the basement....

I hope...

: ) !
Old 03-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #116  

Just want to send a virtual "squeeze" to darling Sydney. She looks so huggable!

Spring is just about ready to burst out any minute here! Yesterday I took a 25 minute walk and today a 35 minute one around the neighborhood. Croci (?) blooming all over and other bulb flowers trying hard. Got up to 52 today at least so that's almost spring. In addition to that 35 minute walk, I spent at least two hours walking around stores plus time in the grocery store. Got in two tai chi classes and one pool workout this week as well.

Unfortunately, I've run into a few jelly beans.....

Kaylets, I know that "tightwad" feeling. If I could toss a bit more easily, my life would be soooo improved. And I trotted around those stores with 20% off coupons in my pocket and didn't find a thing I wanted to buy.

All ready, Queens? Just about twelve hours now.........
Old 03-19-2005, 09:48 PM   #117  
Hot Stuff

MORE than ready, anagram! Your blue room sounds pretty, glad you are enjoying it.

Can't wait to see what surprises await me in the yard when Spring blooms. There are two rose bushes, and a large bush in the front that has buds on it, but I don't know what it might be. I am hoping magnolia, but it looks too twiggy for that. I can see two small flower beds along the fence in the back now that snow is melting a bit.

We are in a great neighborhood for walking with long stretches of sidewalks and a high school about a kilometre away that probably has a track. I'll have to check that out. And there is a paved path that runs along the power lines that will be interesting to travel on my bike.

The Sofa Saga continues...when we moved in, our old sofa was destined to be banished forever to Bill's World (the finished basement). One small detail, however....it wouldn't fit down the stairs! So it sits in my living room hiding under a slipcover. I thought I could live with it, but I can't do it. We tried again this morning to squeeze it down the stairs but it just isn't happening. Bill thinks he can open up the upholstery on the side and remove the arm, then reassemble it when we get it downstairs. So I went today and ordered a new sofa, a mocha brown chenille with patterned throw pillows and nail head trim, which will arrive Thursday evening. I knew if I didn't arrange for a new sofa, that old beast would become a permanent fixture in my room.

There is still so much to do here, but eventually it will get done. No curtains up anywhere but all the blinds were left so no immediate rush there. Haven't hung pictures or unpacked any candles, etc. No point until I know what I'm doing in the rooms.

Now that all this insanity is somewhat over, I am climbing back on the wagon. I was on a good stretch there before Christmas going to the gym. Have cancelled my membership since I moved, and am selling my treadmill....it wouldn't fit downstairs either, and it is NOT staying in my living room. Plan to start a walking program and do some yoga/pilates/weights at home.

Frogger, Sydney is precious!

Amarantha, sorry to hear you were in an accident! Glad you are okay, any lasting aches? You're getting close to goal!

Kaylets, you are ONE POUND from goal? WOW!

Eydie, how awful to have to clean up from a flood! I don't think I would have handled it as well as you did.

Arabella, how is life in PEI these days? Any sign of Spring yet?

SeeCat, how did your St. Patty's celebrations turn out?

wsw, hello if you are reading!

Have we lost Cerise and Punkin again? Where is ceara these days?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #118  

Happy Spring, Spring, Spring! Just on cue, the forsythia I brought in a week or so ago to "force" bloomed this morning. Rainy, dreary here all day so it'll be a leisurely one I hope. Church then lunch out then lolling around reading paper and watching tv or tapes. Perfect day!
Old 03-20-2005, 09:37 AM   #119  

Just got an emailed greeting from sis noting that today is also "Smile Rejuvenation Day" . Who am I to fight that? So a big smile on my face. Other sis also sent me "first day of spring" greetings. Gotta luv 'em.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #120  

Hello all!

Rainy, raw and cold this am yet DH and I are going to visit some nurseries....

Eydie-- Here is the show on Pilates I saw-- Heart of Pilates--
It played on WHYY on March 17-- at 8:00 pm ...
the pbs station website is http://www.whyy.org

I think I saw an email address--perhaps they will give you some info..
Didnt have too much on the website but I then did a google search using the title and found this on another PBS station...
Heart of Pilates
This program focuses on the benefits of Pilates as a form of fitness and physical therapy as experienced by students at a Pilates studio in Los Angeles.

"Instructor K.J. Luker has used Pilates to find the inner strength to heal herself physically and emotionally. Her empathy with students stems from her own problems with extreme back pain, asthma, and poor body image. Luker explains how the lessons learned in a Pilates class can be incorporated into daily life, making it more than a just workout. She shows how Pilates changes the body and increases confidence in its practitioners' movements, thoughts, and work. "

hope this gives you a starting place to find more info!

Dh is ready so I 'll promise to look in later!

yes, HELLO SPRING!
Closed Thread