Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #136  
stormy1

OK, first cheer up! Maybe you need some kind of tropical beach screensaver. I always have one on my screen, b/c I love the warm sun and the water. I think that if you start thiking positive more positive things will happen in your life. I know it sounds kind of corny but I think that there is a pwerful mind-body connection.

A noodle is a long, skinny pool toy. Imagine a long noodle that is made out of foam. Kids play on it in the pool. I use it to lounge on in the pool or to exercise with. It floats. However, it is useful on land. Since I do home health I sometimes have to come up with creative ideas since I do not have the resources I used to have in the physical therapy clinic. So to massage the TFL (tensor fascia latae) which is basically a strip of fascia that covers the gluteal and thigh area like a sleeve I tell my patient's to use a noodle.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #137  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Another thing looked promising yesterday. I'd been saying I wanted to go to Dubai in March. There's a big international race and some Japanese horses usually go. It's like the Hong Kong thing but Dubai doesn't pay as much for the press. They put you up in a 5-star hotel but only at a discount so it's still about 200 bucks a night. The flight there too is double what one is to Hong Kong, just because not many people are flocking to Dubai! But I was thinking of going just to go and also two friends of mine are there now, one a guy from the newspaper and another is there on a racing management or something program. So I could see them. Kind of neat, meeting up in Dubai. I've only been to the airport once on a stopover. Nothing interesting to see in the airport, just lots of guys in white robes walking around. Anyhow, the racing association I was talking to yesterday said they'd be interested in stories if I went so if I wrote a few stories I could at least probably cover the cost of the trip. So, cool. When I was saying at work, "I'm going to go to Dubai in March," I had no idea as to how I'd even come up with the money to go, but something came up! Like my brother said (well Star Wars actually) "A solution will present itself." Should I be getting excited? Maybe, huh?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #138  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Crash and burn...

Okay so I am finally home from work and I had a horrible day with eating. I really pigged out today and I am so mad at myself. I am letting school get to me and I don't know why I sabatoge myself. Thanks for the advice from everyone and I will take it to heart.

I am not going to try to catch up with everyone because you guys are posting maniacs.
Red- I am happy to hear the job front is working out! Go with the flow- it sounds like things are looking up and you deserve some good news.

stormy- I may be leaning on you heavily this semester- I need some kind of support. My bf got his masters while working a fulltime job and walking to work and school so he is no help. He thinks he had it so much harder so there is no sympathy. Thanks for being there for me.

little grasshopper- come to us for support. I have friends like that too and it sucks. You are doing a hard and great thing so keep up the great work!! We are proud of you.

Jacque and NBK- hi to you both- I will respond more to you in the next post- I promise.

Sorry- I am out of time- I need to crack the books and I HAVE to make time to walk tonight. Somone please yell at me and make me get back with the program!
More later I hope-
Old 01-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #139  
stormy1

Red, you do not need too much room. Just enough to kick forward and out to the side. You would like it. It is like kick boxing. Great way to let out frustration. My cats know to stay out of the way when I am in action. However, when I do my ab workout on the floor one of my cats likes to attack my hair. I have long hair and I guess she thinks that I am playing a game with her, so I try to pull my hair up in a tight bun so I will not get attacked!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:40 PM   #140  
Never give up

OK, got it. Thanks for the explanation, stormy. Yes, I have seen those noodles and well, no wonder I didn't know what a TFL was! You guys and your jargon! But tell me, why wouldn't you just use your hands to massage your glutes and thighs?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:44 PM   #141  
stormy1

CG-GET WITH THE PROGRAM CHICK!!! Now how is that? It is ok to be overwhelmed, I totally understand it. Be sure to make time out for walking in b/t your school work. You can do it! I can't remember if I told you this before, but it helps me to crock pot a lot of things and to prepare a lot of the meals for the week on Sunday afternoon. This helps to not have the urge to grab fast food, etc. during the busy week.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #142  
Never give up

Crime girl, hi there! Sorry to hear you're so bummed. I certainly know how you feel! And thanks for still writing and thinking of us. I wish there was something I could do to help. What is going to be so difficult for you? Tell me what the hardest parts are and maybe I can put my thinking cap on and come up with some good advice like you did for me. And, I never did get back to you on that advice but I was thinking about it a lot, first, the either trying to make the best of it, or second, realizing the price was too high and, like a relationship, it wasn't worth it anymore. I think I kind of more or less decided to go with the latter and was very receptive to the publisher yesterday. Now I just need them to come through with something more definite.

Stormy, had to laugh. I could just see you on the floor doing crunches with this cat grabbing at your hair. yes, of course it would look like a great game!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Red - sorry we're throwing all the strange stuff at you A swimming noodle is a long spongy thing that floats. You use it to help float when you swim or do water workouts or PT. And the TFL is the Tensor Fascia Lata - it's a muscle that's in your hip - the tendon for it runs along the outside into your ITB (that band that runs along the outside of your thigh). It helps stablize your hip and knee, and lifts your leg, turns it inward and pulls your leg sideways away from your body. (trying to figure out how I hurt it running I'm pigeon toed and have to make big outward circles to get around the fat on the inside of my leg just kidding!!

I'm glad you're getting some nice bites for work options though! That's great!! Never hurts to fish a little As for your weight loss program - like stormy posted earlier, all the little things do add up!! And the 45 minutes it takes you to get to and from the gym - holy crap - that's more than some people do the whole time they're working out!! And you're just getting there and home! Cut yourself some slack!!

Stormy - I'm not sure how much I want to lose. My original goal was 125-130. We'll just see where I land. I dont' want to get any smaller than 120. But if I am truly eating healthy and not over exercising myself and I get there, I guess I just have consider that I was suppose to be smaller. My mom is 4 inches taller than me and was 117 at 2 months pregnant and looked very healthy at that weight. (in pictures I've seen) I'm built a lot like here so we'll see where I land. If I set a hard goal then I'm less likely to stick to my detox diet when I get there - and I don't want that. I'm doing really well detoxing right now and I dont' want to fall off the wagon because of a number on the scales

Well I'd better get some stretching done - they moved my yoga class to 7:00 and made it an hour and a half. That's too late for me to come home and settle in. I want more time with BF tonight.

Oh, I don't have a noodle - I've been using a towel and a tennis ball. I don't think I've injured it at all - just moved it more than it wanted And nothing else hurts still so I'm doing great!!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #144  
stormy1

Well you can use your hands of course, but some people do not have the right touch to do it well and be effective. Now Little GH, of course knows how to massage, but since she has to give other people massages all day and she has some wrist problems this is an alternative way. She probably knows that already. I guess sometimes the teacher (my profession is 90=% teaching) in me comes out.

Now start thinking about what you will wear to that race. Ohh...five star hotel...potential rich hotties around. You will want to look hot yourself. Okay lets start planning things like you are going to that race. You have at least 8 weeks before the race. You can lose at least 10 pounds by then...see that would be a great accomplishment.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #145  
Never give up

Hi grasshopper, thanks for the even more detailed explanation. You really know your stuff! Well, unfortunately, now that people are posting, I've got to run. Will check in later! Bye for now!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #146  
stormy1

GH you must have been posting when I was posting. Are you stretching after you run? Did you run up hill? Most of my patient's that have problems with it are runners. Tennis ball and towels are also effective. Have fun in yoga!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #147  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

I missed a lot and have limited time so I'm commenting where I see fit

Grasshopper,
Thanks! I will look for Nature's Gate next trip to the store And I'll look into those oils They sound fun!

As for biking, I'm the same way! I can't stand to go in a low gear and pedal harder It's discouraging...although nice for your muscles I'm sure!

Your boyfriend sounds like my husband! (((HUGZ))) for that! And your friends, that's just rediculous! (Although sounds similar here, i just avoid talking about it with them!) It sounds like you're doing great, and don't let them discourage you!

Stormy,
Those exercise numbers are awesome!! I like the idea of butt squeezes while brushing your teeth LoL! I do crunches or push ups during TV commercials, my husband laughs at me sometimes for it...but screw him! I'm going to look awesome and he'll wish he did too!

Thanks for the recipe link too

Red,
Beer once in awhile is a good way to keep you feeling normal and satisfied!

I hope you get to go to Dubai! How awesome would that be!!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #148  
Never give up

Stormy, one more post since I saw yours. You're know, you're SO right! I hadn't even really thought of it. I don't think the HK hotel was 5 star, probably only 3 or 4 and I felt like a dork unless I was wearing smart casual. And it'll be hot in Dubai so I can't cover up the fat too well. And I want to look hot hot, not just sweaty hot. And to do stories, get them and all, I'll have to feel up and energetic. That is a great incentive, start looking like I normally stay in 5-star hotels and not like I just came in from mucking out stables (like I usually look! ) Thanks storm, your helping me out here will be a great incentive. You're so sweet.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #149  
Never give up

Jacque, hi there!! Check on you later, OK? Out the door. . .
Old 01-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #150  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

Today's Triumphs!!

Hubby wanted Fazoli's for lunch, so I went along and almost caved in, I was about to order a huge plate of pasta and a desert When I saw a yummy looking Salad! So I had a grilled Chicken Salad and it was YUMMY!!! So I'm so proud of myself for that!!

Now I'm off to work out for the day!! (I sent my hubby to the grocery store so I could work out alone...I'm touchy about that!)

Have a great day ladies!
Closed Thread