Old 12-31-2004, 07:03 PM   #211  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Default I found something and wanted to share it with the gang!

I know that I'm the one who needs to read this the MOST..... but when I read it...it made a difference....so I thought I should put it in here...so I can REread it often! ...and thought that maybe some body else here would find it useful too!

...........so.........here is somthing that I'm cutting and pasting into our thread..............

Ten Fitness Obstacles and Their Solutions
By Edel Jarboe

Obstacle #1: "I don't feel like working out today." Whenever you feel tempted to skip your exercise routine or to put starting one off altogether, remind yourself of the reasons why you want to exercise. Write it down on an index card and read it whenever you feel like blowing off your health. Why do you want to get fit? How will being in shape benefit your life?

Obstacle #2: "I'm just not motivated to exercise." Setting specific daily or weekly fitness goals helps you to focus on your performance and keeps you motivated. For example, committing to working out four days a week or walking five miles gives you a specific fitness target to aim for and makes it easier for you to make the time to exercise. It is also helpful to keep a record of your fitness performance so that you can up the stakes and stay challenged. Most importantly, you can provide ongoing motivation by rewarding yourself at the end of each week or month with a pedicure, massage, or new workout gear.

Obstacle #3: "I don't have time to exercise." Schedule your fitness workouts for the week with a specific time, location, and activity. When you do this, you eliminate the excuse of not having enough time to workout. Quite simply, you make the time and honor this appointment with yourself.

Obstacle #4: "I have a hard time staying motivated." Keep a workout journal. Tracking your progress helps you to see how far you've come. Record the date, activity, how long you worked out or how many reps you completed, and how you felt afterward. You could also keep track of your measurements and how you feel about your body as it becomes stronger and leaner.

Obstacle #5: "I'm too busy to exercise." On crazy-busy days, instead of skipping your workout, do a mini-version of it. For example, if you don't have time for your usual one-hour step video, scale it down to 30 minutes using just the of warm-up and the beginner's level. Not only will you feel good about yourself but you will also maintain your fitness schedule. Being too busy is no longer an excuse because you can also take a couple of 10 or 15-minute fitness breaks during the day. Even on our busiest days we can find at least this much time for ourselves. The point is to keep moving so that we don't start using this excuse all the time and sabotage our fitness plan.

Obstacle #6: "I got sick and haven't exercised in months." Always have a backup fitness plan. Be creative and come up with alternative fitness solutions for when you are out of town, bored, or in a time crunch. Planning for setbacks keeps you in control of your fitness. Working out before you go to work, at lunchtime, or adding a new activity to your fitness repertoire are all good solutions to the above fitness obstacles.

Obstacle #7: "I'm not a fitness buff. I don't really like to exercise." Develop a fitness mindset anyway. When you see yourself as a walker, runner, or a step video queen exercise becomes second nature. How can you identify yourself as a fitness buff? Keep a regular exercise schedule and make your workout time as important as the other areas of your life.

Obstacle #8: "I don't like working out alone." Find a workout buddy. Having someone else there on your road to fitness makes workouts more fun and adds the spirit of competition to your routine. You also keep each other motivated. Make sure your exercise partner has the same fitness goals and that you both commit to a regular workout schedule.

Obstacle #9: "I'm bored with my exercise routine." Okay, so you've gotten your exercise routine down. Four times a week you run the same five miles. Yawn. Suddenly you don't feel like going for your run anymore. Spice it up. Look for new ways to make your workout fun and exciting. Try a new route or cross train. Alternate your running days with spinning classes, hiking, or rock climbing.

Obstacle #10: "I'll always be out of shape." Acknowledge that your fitness is under your control and that you have the power to take charge of your health. Believe that you can make it happen.
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #212  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Happy New Year!
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #213  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Red face

I attempted for over an hour yesterday to post, but I kept getting kicked off by AOL. I am gonna attempt to make it through an entire post now. Wish me luck!

WELCOME SANDI!!! I hope you like it here and stick around.

Robyn, sorry I wasn't able to continue to IM you yesterday. This situation is ridiculous. Thanks for posting the "ten obstacles." I've been such a naughty girl during the past month. By the way, don't worry about turning 40. Once I got over the initial shock of it all, I went right back into denial where I choose to remain indefinitely.

Ginny, you know how much we love and respect you for everything you do on the front lines. Our thread wouldn't be the same without you. You are a great friend.

Mousie, I'm sorry that things with your father have become more complicated. I wish I could give you some useful advice, but I'm not sure what to tell you except to ask others around you for some help. Do you have any siblings? Is there anyone who knows your father that could provide some support? I hope things get better.

Kerry, have a great time with your family! You deserve some fun and relaxation before school starts up again. Safe travel.

Okay Sandi, I will give you a quick synopsis on me. My weight issues go all the way back to puberty. I began to get a little chubby and developed my fuller figure at 12. In spite of my mother and sister's negativity and teasing that I would fail, I lost the weight on Weight Watchers. I didn't have another problem with my weight until I was 22. My mother died of cancer, and I was devastated. I stopped eating. As people came to my home with food, and I didn't want it, someone finally made me eat something. Well, once I started eating, I couldn't stop. I put on 25 pounds. Over the years, I went back and forth between a size 10 and 14. When I got married at age 28, I was a comfortable 14. Then came the fertility treatments. I had endometriosis, and I needed hormone shots for a couple of years to conceive. I rapidly gained weight. By the time I conceived through IVF, I was between size 16 and 18. Following the birth of my daughter, I was a 22. I lost weight and became between an 18 and 20. That is where I remain. So, I'm not at my all time high, but I have a ways to go to be healthy again. Weight Watchers doesn't work for me anymore. I've done Dr. Phil. Heck, I've done them all. On Monday, my DH and I are going on South Beach Diet. In November, I lost 8 lbs. on it, but I quit when the holidays came around. But, like everyone else, I'm ready to begin again.

Teaching was a mid-life career change. I've been teaching for 4 years...one year in kindergarten, and three in public preschool. I LOVE PRESCHOOL AND NEVER WANT TO TEACH ANOTHER GRADE.

Again, welcome!!!

I will be starting a new thread for the new year. Look out for it.
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #214  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
Robyn- ok so every day we can now ask you if you have gotten any excercise or not...and drinking tea, while not a bad thing in itself does not count as a workout for your biceps! Loved the obstacles.......we all suffer from one or another from time to time. thanks for posting them. One thing I know about excercise, is that you have to schedule it in your day- plan on it- just like you would plan on taking that shower each day. You deserve to treat yourself to the stress relief of a workout! (how's that for a gentle kick in the a**)

Summer- you sweet friend you. Thanks for the kind words.....this has been a tough vacation. I needed them....
Well, brain dead me, just noticed that Summer most likely started a new thread.......see ya there! (I'lll copy and paste this over there too)
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote