Old 10-03-2004, 09:24 AM   #16  
RosieKate

Been chewing on this one....I think I used to BE the person you are talking about, Angie! I think that good energy put out into the world in the form of compliments or any kind of support is never wasted, even if we can't see the effects right away. I just think it makes us better people to be nice, even if it appears to go unappreciated. It's kind of a "pay it forward" concept, if you've heard of that. As to the person in question, I would keep on supporting that person, but would not get so involved as to make them a "project", so to speak. Their bleak view of themselves is something they have to deal with, but I'm not going to let it make me less of a person by withholding praise. People who show up on support boards to reject support have to deal with some stuff, that's for sure!

Ok - I'm running out of conundrums.....I have an almost 3 y/o girl who is sort of potty training but not quite there yet. My 8 y/o son was also a late-to-the-potty kid, training at 3.5. My kids have really stubborn personalities and I decided with both that this issue was not going to be my Waterloo with them. So, what do I say to the regualrly scheduled lectures I get from people (like MOM) who swear to God they trained thier kids ( like ME) by 12 months and anything later than that is just plain lazy parenting? Ok I agree potty training is kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel here, I'll work on some better scenarios
Old 10-03-2004, 02:37 PM   #17  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

RK you aren't the person I was talking about...lol

As for potty training, to each his /her own time. We are all different people and some have to go at a slower rate, or faster in some cases. My aunt talks about how her son, 2 months older then me, and how I was potty trained a good 6 month before him, but he learned many things way before I had a clue. Tanner was trained before 18 months, but couldn't/woudln't talk till almost 3. He had to go to speach thearapy for a year before school started.

Now this is really going on in my life,,,what would you do ladies...
You have a 12 yr boy who loves football, is mediocre on the field but has heart. Next year he goes up a division to the older boys, Bantoms, and well he doesn't want to go cause he is small, he knows hes small. But his coaches now are pushing him to go, even thou they know he will probably be benched most the time. Now the12 yr could have a major growth spurt in the next year, he probably would be benched most the time but the learning of new plays and the other boys would be a good thing too,,,,but to have to do all them drills for 3 months 4 nights a week is asking alot....asking alot of the mom too....lol What would you do?
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 05:13 PM   #18  
GmaTo8

Next year's football practice season is so far away, I'd wait until a little closer to then and then do what the boy says HE wants to do at that time. As for right now, he can just tell the coaches "we'll see" or "probably" to get them off his case. If he does decide to skip it next year, you may have to speak to the coaches about laying off DS.

If you were pretty sure that one of your teen's friends was drinking while the parents were at work, what would you do?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:55 PM   #19  
Give me strength

Ask your child if her friend is drinking while the parents are at work. And if so, ask her what her parents are like and then decide how well you know the kid,,,well enough to be someone they can talk to...or if the parents are approachable talk to them, would you want to know if your child was doing that?

What would you do if you had a friend who talks non stop about her weight,,,how big and fat she is when shes like a size 8? She used to be a 6 but gained abit,,,shes is obsessed with trying to lose it and calls and wants to talk for hours about it.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:08 AM   #20  
RosieKate

oh- I know I would just lose it after awhile and tell her to stfu (excuse my language). Ok, it's strong, but I can be that way when people get too self absorbed on me. When someone does that around a person who is truly trying to make healthy changes to lose weight, that is just plain rude. Tell her to take all that energy and focus it on, say, the homeless, or the genocide in Sudan.....

Hmmm - now my turn, and I am getting progessively worse at coming up with scenarios....Ok, how do you go about getting something back that you have lent to someone without putting them on the spot and/or making them feel bad? I was raised to just expect it back when you get it and if you loaned to a flake, well, you just have to consider that you gave it to them. DH has a different view, which is you basically hunt them down and ask for it back.....
Old 10-05-2004, 05:16 PM   #21  
GmaTo8

I would call the person and ask for it after we chit-chatted about other stuff first.. kind of like, oh by the way, when can I come by and pick up my ____ that I loaned you? And if the person gets embarrassed, too bad! She should have returned it long ago!

Now, what would you do if someone (not your best friend) asked to borrow something that you really don't want them to. Not a cup of sugar, but something more valuable, like a piece of jewelry or an expensive piece of clothing?
Old 10-06-2004, 03:45 PM   #22  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

First I have to comment on Angies question-I had a friend who was always talking about needing to lose 5 or 10 pounds and I looked at her and said "WHAT!" "WHERE!" She was 5ft. 9 and she said she weighed 110 lbs. I think it was more like 90-100 she was so skinny and wore a size 0-1. Crazy! She wasn't obsessed with losing it or talking about losing it but just every now and then we would talk about losing weight. I told her she looked fine and I didn't see where she needed to lose anything anywhere.

Anyway..Jane to your question I would just tell them no, especially to the jewelry. I don't have a lot of jewelry and what I do have 98% Vince bought me for a special occasion and I could never loan that to anyone. The same with expensive clothes-don't care for sharing clothes with anyone period, not even my sisters.

What would you say to a relative or friend who has overstayed their welcome? They came for a visit and was going to stay for a few days, and the few days turned into weeks and before you knew it a month has come and gone and they are really getting on your nerves? But it looks as if they may continue to stay longer!

Last edited by FrouFrou; 10-06-2004 at 03:49 PM.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:00 PM   #23  
GmaTo8

Although it probably isn't right, I'd blame it all on Neal and say HE wants the house back with just family in it. And I'd make sure the person understands that I'm not upset with them, but would offer to call the Holiday Inn for them, lol. 1-800-HOLIDAY

What would you do if your co-worker at the next desk hummed all the time and you couldn't have a radio or anything to drown her out?
Old 10-07-2004, 04:59 PM   #24  
RosieKate

I'd start singing.....Meeeemmmrreeeez..like the corner of my mind...misty -water- colored memmreeezzz of the way we were........(I'm so evil)

body odor, anyone? What do you do if it's a young tween-ager girl and the parents (not close friends) appear to be clueless?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:41 AM   #25  
GmaTo8

Katy, I actually had this one happen. The girl was a friend of my Katie's, but I didn't know the mom well enough to bring it up.... so I made these gift basket for both girls and included face wash, Secret anti-perspirant, bath beads, nail supplies, Love's Baby Soft cologne and some hair scrunchies I had made. (Maybe some other stuff too, I can't remember it all.) and it worked, too, the friend DID start using the anti-perspirant.

Could you become close friends with someone who doesn't like your favorite cat/dog and always shoos them away?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:18 AM   #26  
a work in progress

Yeah, I could, because my cat is schizophrenic and doesn't like anyone but me and my husband (well, she loves Tim but sometimes doesn't like him, and she tolerates my sons). She will approach visitors and sniff their ankles -- but if they try to reach down and greet her, "aw, hi little kitty..." she hisses and backs away, yellow eyes glowing with malice... It's almost impossible to believe she is the same cat that wakes us up every morning, walking back and forth all over us on the bed, purring and rubbing her furry face on ours. So, we actually shoo visitors away from our cat for their own protection! LOL But on the other hand, I know some people just aren't "dog" or "cat" people -- sometimes they've had a bad experience, or they grew up in a house where they were taught animals are dirty or a hassle. So, that's ok, there are probably other reasons why that person and I could be friends. If my pets really bothered them, I might put my pet in my room while they visited (Chloe is often exiled to the bedroom when we have company), or I'd suggest we meet at the friend's house instead, or go out somewhere.

OK, here's a scenario: you have too many bosses at work telling you to do too many different things, often in conflict with each other. None of the bosses appear to have authority over each other, but they all have different agendas and different priorities. I have three different supervisors right now that are telling me to handle my required duties differently, and I don't know if I follow the last order I was given until someone else comes along and tells me to do it a different way, or if I email them all the same email and let them hash it out? Yikes, does this even make any sense?
Katiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:01 PM   #27  
Give me strength

Go to the top boss and ask for a moment of their time. Then ask what you can do about this problem of not knowing who's authority to follow. I have been in that same situation and I would start something then be taken away from that project by another supervisor then the first one would come by and freak when Im not doing their project and on and on it went. I finally went and asked the top boss what I can do other then lose my mind. I did it in a humerous way, and all came out well, I was promoted to supervisor and was in charge of all of them! Life has a way of working itself out eh?...lol

What would you do if you work next to a woman who has no tact? You work in a customer service inviroment and shes blabbing away about inapproperiate things such as working in a *love shop* ( adult sex stuff) You know she needs the money bad.
You have given her a few hints that what she saying is inapproperiate.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #28  
GmaTo8

Where is the supervisor? He/she is the one who should be picking up on the conversations the co-worker is having. IMHO, since you've already given her some subtle hints, at most, you could give her some stronger ones.

Although I have given hypothetical situations so far, here's one that happened a long time ago. Tell me what you'd do, then I'll tell you what I did.

Back in my 20's, I made ham salad to take to the Indy 500. Ground the meat, etc, and placed it all in a 1/2 gallon Tupperware bowl. This was at a lover's house. I turned my back to rinse off the spoon I had used, and when I turned back around, his daughter's cat was licking the ham salad in the bowl!

What should a Jaded Lady have done????? Throw it all out? Scoop out where the cat had been licking? Kill the cat?? We had other food to take - chicken, etc., just so you'll know.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:36 AM   #29  
Give me strength

I would have grabbed the cat and swatted its butt, then scooped up the area the cat in,,,,then when eating would of avoided that salad...lol kidding...
I would have talked to the lover and asked him if he was ok with eating left overs from the cat...lol and then left the salad cause I know I wouldn't have been.

Your at a children's activity and later in the evening when darkness falls, a group of older teens show up and loudly start to use profanity. What would you do?
Old 10-10-2004, 04:22 PM   #30  
GmaTo8

Question Since no one else wants to answer this.....

First, let me tell you what happened with the ham salad.... keep in mind that this was during my single mother days when there wasn't enough money to go around. I tossed the cat to the floor, then I scooped out the ham salad all around where the cat was licking and.... you already know what I did!! I smoothed out the rest with the back of a spoon and took it to Indy. There were 6 of us there, and by the time we ate it, we were feeling no pain, and nobody got sick, lol. A friend's S/O commented how good it was, saying it had just the right amount of onion.... I had to laugh, but didn't 'fess up! And I never forgot it, either, lol.

Now, about Angie's question. Since it was teens, I would very nicely ask them to please watch their language. Actually, this happened to us in a DQ years ago. And one of the kids said "Sorry" then they all left. If it was an older bunch, or a threatening-looking bunch, I'd take my kids and leave. Too many NUTBALLS running around with guns, knives, etc.

Here's a trick I've used since then, in the movies, etc. Tell the offending kid "Oh I thought that was you! Tell your mom that Jane said hi, ok?" This turns them into perfect angels, since they don't want you narcing to their momma, lol, even if you don't really have a clue who the kid is.

Here's one for you, and this is a real situation. One of my "friends" acts all buddy-buddy when it's just us together, but acts more reserved, and will even say "picky" things when there're others around. That really makes me uncomfortable.....