Old 07-31-2004, 04:37 PM   #16  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Hi –
Hope you’re having good weekends. I’ve been busy cleaning and organizing – and then painting my bookshelf. You would think it’s a major project the way I’ve been talking about it, and actually it *is*. I have so little space here, and the bookshelf take up half the wall. It’s been a problem just figuring out where to put the books so that they’re out of the way (for the painting! I need the floor!). Most of them ended up under the bed.

No exercise for me today – just painting and cleaning. Which I actually count as exercise!

Ang – blackberries and blueberries??? You lucky girl!!! Your garden sounds absolutely wonderful!
And I’m very impressed that you seek out clubs and other people to exercise with – it seems to work very well for you too, because you seem to be motivated by exercising with others. Working out 4 times in a week with biking and running sounds absolutely great – and if you also add a little weightlifting at home - you’ll probably see results fast!

I’ll see if I can dig up the bike and figure out who can fix it – maybe later this week.
Today I bought new shoes – and it was an impressive process – they actually had me jogging on a treadmill in the store to see what kind of shoes I should wear! I’m so ignorant of all of these fitness and exercise things – everything is an adventure for me! Even buying shoes to run in!
It’s just what you were talking about Ang! And I got really nice shoes too! I look forward to using them Tuesday morning!

Hope you got all of your work done today Ang!
The outdoor event in Providence – it could be fun if you’re in the mood. I’m sure you’ll find people there to talk to, and there will be things to see and do? And like Jessica said: if you’re not having fun, you can leave!

Jessica – hope you’re having a good and effective Saturday too!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:11 PM   #17  
Persistent and Stubborn

Default Quick reply

Jessica - I'm gald you had a nice Friday. Sometimes just relaxing is a good thing. It seems like you ate great again. Anything we can do to help with the exercise? Can you get in a walk today?

I like your idea about writing a letter to bf, Jessica. Depending on how tomorrow goes I may do that. Long story short, he never showed up at the farm today so I did not see him. When he called I told him we needed to talk. Of course he asked about what and I wouldn't tell him because he was on his way to work and was hungover. He guessed pregnant and dying (where do people get these ideas). Anyway, after we hung up I made myself more important and called him back and told him that we needed to talk about the farm and that I was not happy about what he told me last week. I'm not sure he knew what I was talking about since I was babbling, but it's a step in the right direction for me. I don't think he thought it was going to be anything bad and he didn't know what to do about it. I am hoping to get a couple of minutes of face time tomorrow before he goes to work, but I don't have any idea when we will be able to sit down one night - even though I asked he does not give me his schedule each week. Bottomline, I'm still lousy at it, but at least I am starting to speak up for myself and speak my mind. yeah!

I decided to go to the 'party' tonight. A coworker and her family are going to meet me there. I have never been in the city alone and have no idea where I am going but it will be an adventure. I just have to get out of the house and be with people. I hope it will be fun.

btw - my neighbor came by today and fixed my light switch. $7 switch instead of $100 electrician visit. Can't beat that, even if it ended up that I didn't need the new switch (it was a different problem).

mette - cleaning and painting is definitely exercise. What color are you painting the bookshelf? You can come do my wardrobe next.

I did go out and ran for 40 minutes this morning. It was really rough but I'm glad I did it. So far I had my cereal this morning and just had lunch (4pm) which was a small salad, chicken breast, and some peanutbutter on whole grain bread, ff pudding. In hindsight I could have done with the bread and pb but I thought I was still hungry. I need to work on deciding portions with my eyes and not my stomach.

mette - from your mouth to god's ears about the exercise and results. I am going to do my best to exercise 4 times a week and the weights 3 times a week. Of course I'll keep you posted and we'll see if I lose anything. Right now I'm too scared to stand on the scale to see where I am 'beginning'.

I'm so glad, mette, that you went somewhere to buy shoes where they were knowledgeable. It seems like they did all the right stuff. What brand did you get? I wear Asics. Let us know if Tuesday is pain free.

How is your day going Jessica?

I'm off to find Providence. I'll let you know all about it later or tomorrow. Enjoy the evening.

Ang

PS - so maybe quick doesn't equal short.
shyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:43 PM   #18  

Hi guys,

I'm not in a terribly good mood today. It's already past 2:30 p.m. and I really haven't gotten much accomplished. I think I need to just throw on my gym gear and get out of this house! I'm doing my usual... a little bit on the computer, a little bit of cleaning, a little t.v., and really just wasting my Saturday. I've noticed that my eating gets really spotty on the weekends, as well as my water consumption. I end up feeling groggy all day. I'm sure that's part of the reason. Ok, enough typing. More action! I'm going to get my gym clothes on right now and get out of here.

Mette: thank you for the links to the sports bras. You know I took my measurements and according to what they say, I need like a 42 DD, not a 38 D like I've been wearing. Yikes!

Well, I'll drop back in when I get home. Thank you guys for the motivation!
goofgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:19 PM   #19  

Hi guys,

Just wanted to drop a quick note to tell you that I DID go to the gym, and I did 20 minutes of interval training cardio from the BFL routine, did some ab work and stretched. I feel SO much better. Not only do I feel like I actually accomplished something today, I feel more focused and in a much better mood. Yay! I'm going to finish up my laundry and do some more cleaning so the house is nice when Mikey gets home.

Ang: I'm so glad you got your run in today! I wish I had worked out this morning, because I think it would have made the rest of my day more enjoyable and productive. I hope you're having a great time at the "party". Let us know all about it. Maybe you'll inspire me to go out and do more things, even by myself. Are you going to get your grocery shopping in tomorrow? Best of luck with the bf. Does he have any clue that you're struggling in this relationship? He seems to be very self-involved, in my humble opinion. Maybe you need to give him a little wake-up call!

Mette: Again, thank you for the links to Champions. I called one of our local "plus size" clothing stores, thinking they may be the best place for bigger bra sizes. They only carry one kind which zips up in the front, and it's not a name brand. I need to shop around, or maybe just order online. Your painting project sounds like a lot of hard work but really fun. I love refinishing furnature although since I don't have much space either, it's difficult. My next big house project I think will be rearranging my furniture. With Mike, me and the cats, we're starting to get a little crowded and cluttered. Like I've said before, I function so much better when things are in order and clean.

Anyway, I'm off to work on the cleaning. Hope you have a great evening!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:51 PM   #20  
Persistent and Stubborn

Congratulations Jessica on getting to the gym!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it and it put you in a better mood. Remember all of this for the next time that you should go to the gym.

I just got back from the 'party'. It was nice and my coworker's family was great. It was an early evening but still good to get out. They light fires right on the river and there are people walking around everywhere. There is music and dancing on the streets. Of course there are also vendors selling yummy food but I did not get any.

The only bad part of the evening was that this kind of thing gets me thinking and I get melancholy. It was the perfect type of night to be with a loved one. I think you can fill in the rest (i.e. loneliness, fear of never having a family, etc.).

I'm going to get to bed early so I can run in the morning. I have to be there at 7am! Grrr...6 miles is the plan. Yikes!

Yeah again for Jessica. Sorry to repeat, but I am just so happy for you. Now both of you have cleaned so I guess it is my turn. Hopefully I'll do a little tomorrow and some grocery shopping. Finding the time and energy to make a good list will be the potential hold up.

FYI - I wear Champion sports bras too but I am not that big up top so I don't have too much trouble buying them (36D). I'm probably more like a C but with the extra weight the D fits better. Don't get me started on breast size though - it's a touchy subject for me.

Jessica - I think bf has some clue as today I told him flat out that I was not happy with our discussion. Mostly I think he is clueless though and thinks that everything is fine for now and we will just keep going. We probably would if I didn't say anything, but we all know that I'll go crazy if I don't open my mouth. I already know what I want to tell him next time - laying it on the line in a way.

mette - how did the project go?

What are you two doing tomorrow?

Ang
Old 08-01-2004, 05:22 AM   #21  
maintaining

Hi guys!

Ang – I really hope you get to talk to your BF tomorrow; your situation seems completely intolerable right now. And keep up your courage! Try to remember how frustrated you really are when you’re talking to him – and then speak your mind! (You go girl!)

The bookshelf is in the process of becoming white – it used to be wood color. The whole point of painting it is that it will be easier to keep clean when it’s painted instead of untreated wood. And I’ve found that white is a good color when the room is small. I’m also going through my books and VHS tapes – and try to give away the things I don’t need/want anymore.

I would love to do your wardrobe next Ang, but I’m not really sure you’ll let me! I’m not very good at this – and it’s kind of hard to get the paint even…. Heh. Ah, well.

Good for you that you went out running! As for the shoes I got – I ended up with adidas, these: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-...odKey=RRADI743, except mine are blue (and therefore prettier!).
According to the test, I put my weight on the middle of the heel as I put my foot down, and you’re suppose to come down more on the outside of the heel. So these shoes give support and build up the inner side of the foot and heel – so that I’ll land correctly on my heel! And also, I’m over-pronating – but I don’t know what that is – it’s something about the arch of the foot needing support too. I think.
But anyhow. Let’s wait and see how it goes on Tuesday!

Jessica – it was so great to read your two posts! First the one where you felt lethargic and down – and then feeling so much better after you went to the gym! Like Ang says: something to remember next time you don’t want to go to the gym!

And bras – see! It *is* really important to measure properly! Instead of a local plus size store, maybe you could look for a local lingerie store? You know the kind where they specialize in bras of all kinds. I know some of them are not really *cool* – and are the type where your grandmother probably would get her bras – but most of them really know about all kinds of breasts and what kind of support you’ll need. And you don’t find that in sports stores. Most of them will also carry sports bras, and I’ve found – like you did – that you don’t find that in plus size stores.

But Champion is a good brand and they have good bras. Still – I think it would be good if you went somewhere you could try different types on.

And I hear you about the crowded and cluttered – even if it’s only me living here. I want to get rid of all the stuff I don’t use or like anymore. It goes for clothes too, but I’m having a harder time letting go of my clothes that are getting too big. I think it’s my big “but what if I put the weight back on?” fear.
I just have to keep telling myself that 1) I’m not going to put it back on, and 2) even if I did I could buy new clothes. (The #2 is not really helpful since I hate to go shopping, especially when I’m big – and if I did get big again I want *these* clothes).
Hm. It doesn’t sound good, does it? It’s sort of a security blanket.

Ang – your night out in Providence sounds really nice, with the lights, river, people and music. Sorry you got sad though – it’s really saying a lot about the relationship you’re supposed to be in, doesn’t it? You have a boyfriend but you feel lonely, unloved and afraid you’ll never have a family. It's not good. And hope you're feeling better now.

Have great Sundays!
Old 08-01-2004, 11:42 AM   #22  

Hey guys!

I'm so irritated. I was very close to finishing my post to you and my PC froze up. Arg, I hate when that happens! Hopefully I remember everything I wrote!

Thank you both for your support with my exercising. It really does help and means a lot to me, since that's my weak point.

In all honesty, the "high" I got from the gym only lasted about two hours, and then I was down again. Sometimes I'm just like that for no particular reason. So, I just went to bed fairly early and figured, tomorrow's another day. I got up at 7 this morning, with the help of my cats hissing at each other right over my head, and hope to make the most of my Sunday. I'm thinking about having my "free day" with my food, per the BFL program. Mike's been wanting to go to "Uncle Herb's" for breakfast. It's this local, family owned restaurant that makes THE best pancakes ever. We used to eat breakfast there almost once a week. It will be harder than you think for me to "let go" with my food, since I've been so controlled. There are many logical reasons for it, and pancakes DO sound really good, so I'm going to make an effort today to eat whatever I want. Wish me luck.

Ang, your evening in Providence sounded beautiful. I can just imagine the water, bonfires, and music and how warm and lovely it must have been. I can relate to how it made you feel, though, considering your current relationship situation. Much like I felt at the recital about the little kids, the dull sadness of it all. Take these feelings into consideration as you prepare to talk with your bf. They are VERY important and need to be validated. Did you go out with your running group this morning? I can see how motivated you are when you exercise with a group! I would like to have a girlfriend to go to the gym with, but I also like the freedom of just doing my own thing and not having to worry about anyone else. Good luck with the grocery shopping. A list is VERY important, btw, so spend some time on it. I have saved some of my grocery lists, so I can post them, if it's helpful to you. Mind you, I always end up with too much food for the week, but it might be a good guide for what to look for at the store. A good peice of advice that I've seen about grocery shopping is to shop the perimeter of the store... that's where the "whole foods" are- meat, dairy, deli, produce, fresh bread... it helps you avoid all the processed crap in the heart of the store. And when you do need to go there, for spices, dry goods, sauces, that's where you commit to the list and only go down the isles you need to.

mette, I looked up lingerie places in the yellow pages. Not much of a selection around here. The closest one to me is a Hispanic store (the name is in Spanish), so I don't know how much luck I'd have there. Mexican owned stores in my neighborhood tend to be closed on Sundays, and chances are pretty slim that they will speak English. There's nothing wrong with that, but probably won't be a place for me to go. There are a couple about 20 minutes away from me, in Ventura, so I will call first to see if they carry sports bras. One of them is called "Aphrodite's" and also carries "leather and adult oriented toys..." Hm. Might not be the right kind of place either... lol I can relate to having trouble getting rid of your big clothes. It IS a security blanket, for sure. I bet your commitment to the process will be strenthened if you just donate that stuff and move on! I've been through that before, but unfortunately, I ended up needing all those clothes again when I put the weight back on. I'm now having a hard time cleaning out my "skinny" clothes, because I know I WILL need them again. Especially my "vintage" Levis, since they are hard to find and are expensive. I think that's a good security blanket, though. Are you really able to get rid of your books and tapes? Those are my two pack-rat areas, especially the books. Years ago, I worked at Barnes and Noble. You can just imagine how many books I have, and I've either read them and loved them, or plan on reading them and can't give them up! I have 2 big bookshelves, stacked 2 rows deep... I'm pretty sure it's a disorder. ha ha ha...

Anyway, I better post this thing before I lose it again. I hope you girls have a great Sunday. I'll check in with ya later!

P.S.: I measured yesterday and lost 1-1/2" from my waist and 1" from my theigh in addition to the 1-1/2" from my hips I reported before.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:13 PM   #23  
maintaining

Jessica – congratulations on losing inches from your waist, thighs and hips!
With this many pounds and inches gone, you must feel thinner? And see it?

Hope you’re having a great Sunday – and enjoy your food if you’re taking a free day. I’m sure it will be very good for your controlled eating to have some slack somewhere. This is one of the things I’ve been working on with my eating too – having just 2 modes: on or off, controlled or out of control. In that way I think the BFL thinking is really good – because you can experience eating what you normally only eat when you’re out of control, but while it’s part of the program, and what you’re supposed to do.

And I know you weren’t talking to me – but I’m all for posting of grocery lists!

And the bras – heh – it could be interesting to work out in bras from the shop that carries "leather and adult oriented toys..."! But hopefully you’ll find a good store with sports bras.

As for getting rid of stuff. Yeah - I think I’m putting the clothes in storage for a couple of months. I’m doing it in steps. Now they’ve gone out of the closet and into storage. Next time they’ll go from storage to Goodwill.
I can totally understand that you’re not getting rid of your Levis! Of course you will need them again!
And yes, I’m trying to get rid of the tapes and books I never really liked or watched/read that much – tapes and books which I’ll probably not read/watch again. But – you know – it *is* hard!
(oooh – you worked at Barnes and Noble???? You lucky girl!!!) If collecting books is a disease, there sure are a lot of us that are inflicted! I’m really working hard to keep mine under control!

Let’s see. I have one question about protein bars – have either of you ever tried Optimum Nutrition Diet Protein Bar? 5 flavors. About 180 calories, no sugar, 19-20 grams of protein and 20 grams of carbs? They sound very good – I just wondered if anyone had tasted them, and if they taste good too.

OK. That’s all from me right now. How are your Sundays going?

Last edited by mette; 08-07-2004 at 11:39 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 08-01-2004, 04:03 PM   #24  

Hi Mette,

Mike and I are back from breakfast and running some errands. We went to Mervyns and I bought this sports bra: http://www.championcatalog.com/cgi-b...fnbr=74708&V=B I have another just like it, but it's much smaller than this one. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow! Thanks again for the assistance.

Ok, think of this as more of an "authorized food" list, rather than a shopping list because like I said, I tend to buy WAY too much for one week and I'm putting stuff from multiple lists here. Some are dry goods that you can buy and just keep around in case you need it:

Dairy:
eggs
egg substitute
1% or nf milk
1/2 and 1/2 (for my coffee)
butter
"I can't believe it's not butter" spray
lf/nf cottage cheese
hard parmesean cheese
shredded lf cheese
nf plain yogurt
nf fruit flavored yogurt
string cheese
nf cream cheese
crumbled blue cheese
hummus

Meat/poultry:
fresh salmon
smoked salmon
lean ground beef
ground turkey breast
deli style sliced turkey
deli style sliced roast beef
steak
chicken breasts
turkey bacon
tuna (in water, pouches are best)
shrimp

Produce:
garlic
white and red onions
tomatoes
bell peppers, red and green
yellow squash
eggplant
string beans
broccoli
fresh and frozen spinach
green onion
cucumber
carrots
zucchini
cabbage
mushrooms
apples
oranges
bananas
frozen berries
cantaloupe
potatoes
sweet potatoes

Misc/dry goods:
low carb tomato sauce
lite soy sauce
canned olives
olive oil
canola oil
Pam cooking spray
red wine vinegar
rice vinegar
Splenda
garlic powder
bacon bits
iced tea mix/bags
natural peanut butter
ww tortillas and/or pitas
ww bread
ww english muffins
egg noodles (No Yolk)
ww pasta
rolled or steel cut oats oatmeal
high fiber cereal
sf/ff Jello pudding mix
protein powder

Granted, a lot of this is if you're willing and able to cook lunch and dinner. I know it seems a bit extensive. These are things that typically show up on my grocery list on a regular basis, so my fridge tends to be stocked with about 1/2 of it at all times. It's nice to be surrounded by wonderful food, then I can't help but eat healthy, even if I were to find myself grazing in the fridge.

So are you guys ready to start the weightlifting challenge this week? I'm doing legs tomorrow. My hope is to get up early before work and go. We'll see how early I get to bed tonight. I want us all to vow to do our very best this week, follow our plans exactly, to see if we can do it. That will give us dedication and confidence to tackle next week, and so on.

Talk to you later!
Old 08-01-2004, 10:12 PM   #25  
Persistent and Stubborn

Default another weekend done

Hi Ladies - one day and I'm so far behind in reading posts.

mette - I am sure your bookcase is looking great. I think cleaning up is a great thing too. Sometimes when we organize our stuff it helps us focus in our lives. I think this works in the opposite direction too though, at least for me so I end up spending a lot of time picking up after myself.

Good luck with the shoes, mette. I understand that stuff if you really want to know what pronation is and all. That is part of what I do for a living, analyze gait. Of course, the bottomline is that you are comfortable, regardless of what they say about your gait style.

Jessica - I'm sorry your high only lasted for 2 hours, but at least you had the 2 hours. Try to see the positive side of it. Maybe there will be a cumulative effect as you go more often to workout the high will last longer. Congratulations on the inches lost. You deserve it.

I did made it out with my running club this morning. When my alarm went off I jumped out of bed and refused to think about what I was doing. I knew if I did I would go back to bed. I was so tired and don't like getting up before 7am on a Sunday. I ran/walked 6.25 miles and then came home and took a nap. I went to the farm to see Craig, he didn't show so I came home. It started to rain and I don't have the motivation to get wet and work hard for him these days. I went and watched a movie instead and then went to the market. Jessica - I usually buy most stuff in the produce section. I didn't have a great list today but thank you for all of the great info so I can keep working on my list. You gave me exactly what I needed. I think I stock up on staples to keep in the house and just add a little bit each week. I never really bought the necessities when I moved in to the house. I have found that I have a little more food in the house lately, which I guess is good. I did let myself get hungry and emotions got the best of me and I bought some bad foods. I ate part of them when I got home and then through the rest of it out. I figured one day of crappy eating was enough. If I throw it out than I can't eat it tomorrow. I know I do this everyday, but tomorrow is another day and a new beginning. Focusing on the exercise and just trying not to beat myself up about the eating too much. I did buy enough stuff to have my cereal for breakfast (and bought waffles for a treat) and the lunch I was telling you about. We'll see how that goes this week.

Sorry mette but never tried the protein bars you mentioned. I am still trying to find a good protein powder and flax seed meal to add to my diet. I think I am going to have to go to the health food store. I bought two protein bars that were low carb. I think they are the Atkins bars - too lazy to go Downstairs and check. They were on sale so I decided to give them a whirl. They are about 200 cals which doesn't make me happy if I eat them as a snack. Should I be worrying about that at all? I was thinking at about 4pm so I'm not so hungry for dinner. mette - where did you see your bars? Someone recommended the Zone bars - have either of you tried those?

I promise to do my best with the weights. I am going to try the upper body tomorrow because it seems like it should be easier and more familiar. I want to start as easy as possible. I also hope to run or bike after work. I really want to try and get some activity in every day and something structured at least 4 to 5 times a week (this counts extensive gardening or cleaning).

Jessica - do you feel better about your Sunday as opposed to your Saturday? How do you feel about eating whatever you wanted? Did you actually let yourself indulge a little?

mette - did you finish your painting project?

Goodnight!
Old 08-01-2004, 11:56 PM   #26  

Hi there!

Not only did I let myself indulge a little, I had several of my favorites today! Breakfast was pancakes, hash browns, corned beef hash and eggs. Mind you, I only ate a very small portion of each of these, because I just can't binge eat like I used to. My stomach has adjusted to small portions, I think. Is that possible? Lunch was a Nestle Crunch ice cream bar at about 4 p.m. while I had my car washed. Dinner was a chili cheese hot dog, a chocolate malt and a couple of onion rings. I never really felt "sick" but my stiff neck and plugged ears and stuffy nose that I used to get all the time came back today. Almost like I'm starting to get the flu. I haven't felt like that since I started my weight loss. Could that be caused by what I ate? Hmmm...

Ang, good for you with the shopping. And the fact that you thew the "bad food" away, well that just shows your maturity and dedication to what you're trying to accomplish here. I'm also so glad you went running. You should be very proud of yourself! That's what I'll do tomorrow morning- get up and don't think about it. Just do it. (insert Nike logo here... ha ha ha...)

I did feel much better about my day today. We were out of the house by 9:45 a.m., had our big breakfast, went shopping and came home. Mike and I took about an hour nap this afternoon (the food as well, I think) and then I got my car washed, visited with my grandparents for about an hour, and with my parents for an hour as well. I did a lot that I was hoping to accomplish this weekend. I didn't make it grocery shopping but I don't have much to get so I'll probably go after work tomorrow.

mette: I also over-pronate. I think it usually happens to people with high arches. I blame mine on my knee injury and not going to rehab for it. I think I compensated and now I just walk/run that way. Might also be a cause of my foot pain. Let us know how the new shoes work out.

I've never tried any of the meal bars mentioned. "Pure Protein" is a good one taste wise, and has like 35 g of protein. Lots of sugar though. I also have "Carb solutions" which taste pretty awful, but I bought a whole box so I'm making myself get used to them. Sorry I can't give more advice on the subject.

I'm going to try to get to bed by 9 p.m. tonight, so I'll be rested enough to get up and go lift weights before work, so I'm going to wrap it up. Good luck to both of you for this week and have a great Monday!
Old 08-02-2004, 03:14 AM   #27  
maintaining

So. I’ve lost another pound *and* I’m down in the one-eighties! Yey!

Jessica – the bra looks great! Eagerly awaiting report on how it affects your workout…
Your food list looks very impressive – some good ideas I picked up: I think I’ll try some blue cheese and see if I like it (I have tried it before and not liked it). And some vegetables I’m not usually buying (squash, zucchini, eggplant – what do you use them for? Stews and casseroles mostly?). And olives – black olives for salads! Haven’t had those in a while either. Thanks for good ideas.

And yes – I’m ready for the weightlifting challenge! I’m doing my full-body program at home for Monday. Then gym Wednesday and Friday – which I’ll know more about later. Best of luck on getting up and going to the gym before work, Jessica!

Ang – I do want to know what pronation is! It has something to do with the arch of the foot, right?
Congratulations on getting out running in the morning! (And OMG, I’m dead impressed that you actually run 6.25 miles!) That is so great!

I asked about the protein bars in the “ladies who lift” forum too – but nobody seems to have heard about them. I too am looking for snacks that are protein based – all the things I get cravings for are sweet and fat stuff – so I thought a bar I really liked would be good.
Is 200 calories much for a snack? I don’t think so, and I think they would be a good afternoon snack to keep you from getting too hungry. I haven’t tried the Zone or the Atkins bars. Not the Pure Protein or Carb Solution bars either – and I’m looking for one without the sugar. I think I’ll try the ON Diet Protein bars, and then tell you guys about it later…
I’ve found that it’s always good to learn of other peoples favorites when trying out something you know nothing about!

As for my paint project – I actually ran out of paint, and have to get some more and continue Monday. But you know what? It doesn’t matter. Do you know why? I’m on vacation!!!

Jessica – your Sunday eating sounds very yummy! And I too would think you’ve adjusted to smaller portions. How weird that you felt a little ‘sick’ – do you still connect it to what you ate? Do you think you’re allergic to any of the things you ate Sunday?

Ah well. Have a good Monday everybody!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:45 AM   #28  

Morning gals!

Yay, Mette! One more pound down!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

It's 5:15 a.m. and I'm up having my cup of coffee, getting ready to head to the gym. It will be interesting to see if I have more or less energy today after working out this morning. Heck, I'm just proud of myself that I'm actually UP this early! It helped that the cat was bugging again this morning and Mike got up at about a quarter to 5. His back was bothering him too and couldn't sleep. So, everyone's up and milling about!

mette: I actually steam, saute or roast the zucchini and squash, and the eggplant can be baked in the oven. I have a couple of recipes, one with eggplant, squash and tomatoes kind of covered in cheese and baked, the other is a "cabbage lasagna" that I've made before (where you use cabbage leaves instead of pasta) and I thought sliced eggplant would do nicely instead. I'll let you know if I try it. The zucchini and squash are really good sauted in a little olive oil, salt, pepper, with sliced onions. Yum... The blue cheese I sprinkle on salads to give them more of a kick, because oil and vinegar dressing gets a little boring.

My stomach is pretty unhappy this morning because of all the crap I ate yesterday. I think that's a good sign though and look forward to getting back to my normal eating today. The food I ate must have contributed to my achy "flu" feeling. I'd gotten plenty of sleep and don't feel like that this morning. Maybe it was all the white flour or the sugar? Hard to say. Maybe my next free day I will cut out one of those and see what happens. Do a little experiment on myself to narrow it down. I know the ice cream bar I hate had all kinds of partially hydrogenated this and that, and coconut oil, all of which is really bad for you. It sure tasted good though! ha ha...

I, too, am REALLY impressed that Ang ran/walked over 6 miles! You guys are both doing so great!! I'm so proud to be a part of this group!

I know it seems a little silly, but I started an online web journal (a "blog") where I'm going to write daily, keep track of my workouts and menus, and generally just write freely and rant about life and my weightloss. If you want to check it out, the link is: http://www.motivatedslacker.blogspot.com
It's a good place for me to explore all of my "issues" regarding this process, and maybe help someone on their journey too. Let me know if you check it out. I don't know if anyone will ever read it, but it's more for me anyway.

Ok, time to get off my butt and get to the gym. I hope you ladies have a wonderful Monday!
Old 08-02-2004, 04:20 PM   #29  
maintaining

I’ll just be quick – I’m on my way out. First: Jessica you’re amazing! Getting up at 5:15 to go to the gym!!! Wow! How was it? Did you like working out that early in the morning?

When you’re sautéing vegetables like zucchini and squash – what do you actually do? (Yes, I really am that ignorant when it comes to cooking! ) It has obviously something to do with olive oil. Can you explain the process for me?

Sorry your stomach still feels like crap, did it get better? Experimenting to finding out exactly what caused it sounds very smart.
And I read your blog! How clever of you! I’ve both bookmarked it and written a comment. It looks really good Jessica, and so does your photo! I’m sure it’ll be a good place for exploring the process. Sounds like a good idea.

OK. I’m off. Where are you today, Ang?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:58 PM   #30  

Hey guys, just peeking in! (Whoa, I almost mispelled that as I had forgot the k, that would have been embarrasing!) Anyway, Jessica told me to come check ya out, since I've been chatting it up with her and Ang. :P So here I am. Work is almost over and I need to get out of here (crazy bad day, boss is out in hawaii, missing a rep and our office manager didn't show) but I promise to check in and stuff later. (And actually read through all the posts too... >.<)

Edit: Ok back now. Really tired I think from the work stress. But hey! This sports bra topic has me piqued! I can never find a good one. Though, I also strongly dislike underwire, I can't wear it at all because it rests on my ribs so uncomfortably. Anyway.

I got new shoes, which are/were going to be for everyday normal wear and use, but since they running shoes, I guess I can do that too! I hope this link works... er, and it didn't. Anyway they are New Balance 991 -grey in color, super comfy. I haven't tried running yet though, I am so scared!!

I did take an 8mile bike ride on Sunday though, through a forest preserve that was all marshlands and prairie and had a lot of elevation changes. Oof! My bottom is mad at me. My muscles don't hurt, but my hmm, butt bones do?

So how was getting up early to exercise? I am so tempted to get up and try running tomorrow, but I just don't have faith in myself to pull myself out of bed. I love sleeping almost as much as I love food!

Sounds like you ladies are doing great on a lot of things, and it's really encouraging to me! Keep up the great work on everything. I am gonna go pass out now... because I keep forgetting what I was just about to write haha.

-Renee

Last edited by lilwolfe006; 08-02-2004 at 11:38 PM.
lilwolfe006 is offline   Reply With Quote