Old 07-10-2004, 01:51 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Arrow ♪♥ Steel Magnolias #26 ♥♪

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS ♥♪

It is a beautiful day here on the left coast. I finished up three of my cutest houses this past week and installed lights in them. I am thinking of putting them in a shop in town on consignment and see what happens. I wish that I had a digitial camera and I would show you some pictures but alas, I will have to wait until I get the film developed.

Have a wonderful weekend my cyber friends. ♥♪
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:22 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers!
We just got back from a walk and I am heading to the shower shortly. It is 77 degrees with 87% humidity -- the air feels so thick.

This afternoon we made a fast trip to Sioux City to do some birthday shopping for Madaline. We will celebrate her big day August 7th but it seems like the weekends are filling up and I am running out of time. The local shopping leaves alot to be desired. I found a Leap Frog radio for her and I'm hoping she will like it. She loves music and "wiggles" whenever she hears any. We think she is going to be a dancer like her mom.

My deck looks like Romper Room with two mother cats and six kittens. I opened the door to put fresh water out and the "wildest" of the two mother cats promptly walked in the door. Two of our cats started hissing and she got between the door and the wall. I'm trying to shoo her out and she take a flying leap to the loveseat which leads on into the rest of the house. I circled around and grabbed a newspaper to swish at her. She did turn around and ran out the open door and clear across the yard before she stopped. I don't know what she was thinking as usually she waits for me to put the food bowl down and shut the door before she will even come close. My old heart was really pounding, let me tell you! DH was in the shower and missed the whole show! Tonight the kittens found the cat hating neighbor's woodpile to play on.

Maggie -- Thanks for starting the new thread. I didn't realize that I was #14 on the old one. It sounds like you have been busy. I'm anxious to see pictures!

I'm off to take a shower and head for bed. We are going to MIL's tomorrow afternoon; we have some relatives from FL who we want to say "hello" to for a quick visit.

Have a relaxing Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:11 AM   #3  

Morning ladies. It is already heating up here today. Supposed to be near a 100 degrees . The humidity is so very awful too.

Someone keeps tearing the underwater light out of the pool again so it was closed again yesterday. Don't know if she got anyone to come and fix it.

We did carpet shampooing this weekend. Poor Jack really did it all and was exhausted from heat by the time he was done. I ran out of shampoo for the downstairs so will have to get to it I guess this weekend, though we want to finish the stones around the deck since my arm is somewhat better or probably as good as it is going to get.

I guess I should skeddaddle and get my chores done.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:22 AM   #4  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers!
Just peeking in before I get started on my sorting and pitching project. That is taking much longer than I anticipated and I can easily be distracted. It is promising to be another hot and humid day although it is only 75 degrees right now; the air is thick and heavy. The cottonwood trees a dropping their fuzzies again and the yard almost looks like it has a layer of snow on it.

"Gma" -- Wouldn't you just love to catch the vandals who destroy things belonging to others? The problem is, like DH points out, they would probably do worse to you! I hope your pool is fixed soon. I thought you just shampooed your carpet, no? Or do you do it on a regular basis?

I need to get moving. Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-13-2004, 02:51 AM   #5  
Thin Within

Arrow Monday Late

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It has been in the low hundreds here this day and expected to be that way for a few days. It is July so it is expected. Right now at 11:40 pm as I type it is a nice 73 degrees.

I finished up a project today that I was requested to do. The place Will left my 3 buildings to be on consignment, which is called Mail Boxes & More, wanted an old fashioned looking building with their name on it and made out of yellow and blue which are their colors. The man ordered it made as a surprise for his wife. I also made, as a thank you gift for letting me stick my stuff in their store, a business card holder. It is really cute with a house front and a picket fence surrounding the area where the business cards go. I made it in matching colors as the shop for them. The house is yellow with a blue roof and red doors and a red sidewalk which goes the length of the store front. Will can take them down there tomorrow when he goes to check our mail. I think I will save the money I get from the building toward a digital camera.

JEAN be sure and do some fun things this summer before it gets away for school will start before you know it.

FAYE that is good news that your arm is just about back to exact. Please be careful with those stones and don't hurt it now.

Have a good nights sleep folks and I will type at you on the morrow.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:50 AM   #6  

Morning ladies!

Jean: I need to be cleaning out everything in all the closets and what not and rearranging. The one thing poorly designed here is closet space and all of ours are crammed, mostly with my stuff! I need to get rid of all the stuff that is too big and in fact my sister said something about giving the stuff to her but A) I don't want her to be complacent since she gained all 50 lbs back she lost and B) she is only 5' tall and I am 5'7" so most of the stuff will need lots of length alteration. I am thinking about just boxing a bunch of stuff and taking it in November when we go up there and tell her what she doesn't want to give to GoodWill or whatever. I have a lot of beautiful clothing that would really look nice on her. She is nearly 60 and dresses like she is 80. I am 50 and dress 30 ish sort of. I mean I don't wear too tight or too short stuff but I don't wear polyester all the time or pantsuits that kind of stuff. i can now fit into khakis and dress pants with zippers and whatnot.

Maggie: Your little project for your mail company sounds so cute. I need to go back to getting a hobby I really like and doing it. I have my office set up for it. I just am not the scrapbooker my dd is and she never comes over here so I think I am going to just clean it all up and put it away somewhere it is accessable.

DH has a dr appt today so I am going to go with him and then to the mall I guess though there is a heat advisory so we may just come back home.

Have a great morning ladies.

faye
Old 07-13-2004, 10:20 AM   #7  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers!
I'm just checking in to say I hope you all have a great day! It feels like it is going to be another hot and humid day in my corner of the world. I need to trim the outside flowers so may do that while most of them are still in the shade. I never did get back to sorting and pitching yesterday so that is also on my agenda.

Maggie -- I don't think we will reach 100° but the 90°s are hot enough. Your Mailbox business card holder and building sound cute -- it was so nice of you to make the card holder. I'm sure they will be surprised and pleased.

"Gma" -- I have some favorite "too big" clothes (mainly shirts/blouses) that I hate to part with and I know I should. Maybe this time around they will go in the box. I don't have anyone to pass clothes on to. If your sister sews, she probably wouldn't mind shortening your clothes for herself. That is one thing I just hate to do so now if I can't buy "short" slacks I don't buy them no matter how much I like the outfit. Enjoy your walk at the mall if you go.

I need to get busy and as Dr. Laura says, "go take on the day!" Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-14-2004, 08:18 AM   #8  

Already over 80 here this morning and expected to be near 100 again today with 110 heat index. I told Jack to be sure and protect himself if he has to be outside for very long. They wear dark blue uniforms with dark blue t-shirts underneath button down shirts so it is way too hot to be out in them very long.

We did go to the Mall. Went and had a light luncvh at MickyD's then an ice cream at the Dairy Queen in the mall. We shopped for clothes for me believe it or not. He hates two things, grocery shopping and clothes shopping and he is doing both this week! Anyway, Jack bought me this black dress skirt that has a see through ruffle at the bottom, a pink sweater, a white zip up bolero jacket with a stand up collar, a pink and brown sweater and brown pants, pink jewelry, a pink Liz Claiborne bag, pink shoes, a gorgeous winter sweater with green, lavender, black and white stripes and a new sexy black swimsuit with a partial mesh top and diagonal white stripes. We bought it all at Goldsmith's on sale and full retail would have cost me about $400 and we got it for less than $200. It is so much fun to shop in a regular store and he told me I can buy more closer to my bday if I want. The skirt, sweater, jacket, jewelry and shoes and handbag are for Thanksgiving day. We are going to my families and it is going to be kind of a surprise. I bought him a Nascar's Tony Stewart leather Jacket for Father's Day (if you don't know, TS is sponsored by HomeDepot so the jacket is orange, black and white) and I am getting him black slacks, black turtleneck and black loafers to go with it. We are going to be some sexy couple on Thanksgiving.

Today is clean the house day so I better get started. I went to the pool the last two days later in the day and it is way too hot to do that. I had slathered on 50 sunblock yesterday to keep from burning and I take a med that says to stay out of the sun so I have to be really careful.

Faye
Old 07-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #9  

Good Evening, Flowers!
We went for a walk after supper than I fell asleep in front of the TV -- I hate it when I do that! Hopefully I didn't sleep long enough so that I will sleep tonight when I go to bed. It's cooled off today but the weatherman says that more hot weather is on the way.

I didn't get a thing accomplished today except going for coffee, not once but twice. This morning an old neighbor called and we met at the new coffee shop. This afternoon a coworker called and we met at the same coffee shop! It was fun to catch up since I haven't really visited with anyone since vacation started. Tomorrow morning I am working in the hospital gift shop (getting started on my next career ) and then meeting another teacher for a late lunch. I'm going to get groceries and check out the jewelry store for a new watch -- it is Ridiculous Days for the next 3 days so I hope to find a bargain. Since we don't have many stores available for shopping, there won't be any crowds to work through.

"Gma" -- It sounds like you made quite a haul when you went shopping! Lucky you! Are you going to model for us? Glad to hear the pool is open again.

I need to make a phone call so had better get going. Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:18 AM   #10  

Guess I had to re-shop yesterday. I hate trying on clothes at a store and some of the stuff didn't fit like I would want so I took it back and bought some other stuff. I did try on it before I left though! lol I parked at Dilliards because I wanted to go into Rack Room shoes which is at that end, then trooped with all the stuff to Goldsmith's at the other end. Only problem was I went upstairs and ate some lunch then when I cam down I forgot I had parked at the Dilliards end and Yep you guessed it walked all the way to Goldsmith's before I realized what I had done. That's ok except I had on not the most comfortable of sandals.

It is going to rain here today so I am going to have to get in the pool in just a couple minutes.

Jean: Hope you had fun at the hospital and with your friend. I really miss my old work friends in Indiana a lot, of course that is why I ended up over 400 lbs!

Maggie, Gloria, Bubbles: Hope your day is going well!

Later girls (here is a pic of one of the outfits I bought a couple weeks ago for the 4th. Love these capris)

Faye
Old 07-16-2004, 02:34 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood -- low humidity, 80°, sunny, and a nice breeze. I could take this weather until winter arrives.

I spent the morning eliminating the paper piles on the kitchen table and counter. I think there is a magnet that sucks paper to each! I made a quick trip to the post office with a birthday card; I'm hoping the pony will gallop fast to AZ! My next chore is to vacuum the fur hunks. I still think I should have at least one bald cat out of the 3!

"Gma" -- I usually try clothes on at the store only because I have found that the sizes, in the same brand, will vary from season to season! Plus we live 75 miles from the store so just don't run back and forth on a whim. I buy "short" slacks and one time I tried on 3 pair, same size, and each was a good 3" too long. I gave them to the clerk and said they were not "short" as marked and went on to look at some other things. When I turned around, she was hanging them back on the rack! If someone buys them without trying them on, they will be in for a surprise and probably to boot. I think I have found my "second" career! I did enjoy the gift shop yesterday; saw several other hospital employees/volunteers that I haven't seen in a long time. I'm going back on Monday to work in the coffee shop -- the volunteer coordinator talked faster than I could! It should prove interesting because I have no clue how to make the fancy coffees nor anything about preparing the food items as in sandwiches and salads. Cookies, pie, and rolls I think I can handle! I will be working with someone who does know so that will be good!

I need to get busy! I hope you all are having a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:58 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Arrow Friday Evening

GOOD EVENING EVERYONE

Another sunny day here but what do you expect it is July in California. I would love some rain though. I do so love the pitter patter of the rain on the roof.

I am now known as a "Local Artist" since I have made a sale and have houses on consignment. I'm an artist. I like that. Right now I am working on a building that I made the pattern for to look like the Courthouse. It was built in 1854 and holds the distinction of being the oldest in the state still in use. That kinda scares me because folks around here love that old building and I don't want to have to keep making more of the same ~ that white glass is such a mess to cut. But I do want to put this one where I have the other buildings because the owner said it would be a great one to sell. He even mentioned that the Courthouse might want one to put inside somewhere and the Museum would certainly want one. Let's see how this one turns out first. I have it all cut out except around where the clock will be put in the tower (I use a watch face) ~ I can't cut that glass untill I find out how big of a circle to cut for the watch face. I will pick up one at Wal-Mart on Monday. The Courthouse has a clock on all four sides of its tower but I am only going to put one on the front. Since I am an artist I can do changes that suit my rendition of the building.

However, I had to go clean the kitchen before getting started in here and round up all the trash from the baskets in each room and that sort of stuff. I am an artist and shouldn't have to do that sort of thing. AH but I will not complain and will gladly keep up my end of things since I can't do down stuff because of my back Cowboy does a great job of vacuuming and moping.

Yesterday we picked up the neatest small size sewing machine from Sears. It is sky blue in color and is the cutest thing and works great ~ will sew thick stuff like denium even ~ so I can make those "poor boy" hats that I have so much fun making for folks. I make myself a white islet one that I use when we go top down. It has the regular big size machine motor in it but is smaller and lighter in body ~ perfect for the motorhome. It amazes me what technology they can put in one now days for $100. Since about 20 years ago I spent $2000 for a Bernina and have all the feet and extras for it and will just give it to my daughter with a smile in August. I did a search on the internet for a small sized machine that would do big sized jobs and this is the only one that I came up with. It is what they call a 3/4 size and is much lighter than my other one. Just what I was looking for. I love it when a plan works out. On the web site it suggested ordering it from there and then they would ship it to a Sears where I could pick it up. I didn't do that just then for I wasn't ready to buy. We were in a small town yesterday that had a very small Sears store and Cowboy suggested going in to see if they had one. They did to the clerks surprise and our delight. The only thing we could figure since they don't usually stock them was that someone had ordered it on the net then didn't want it. Good for what ever the case was that they had it in the store, because I got it as a surprise.

Now to order the dish drainer that I found to fit that small sink. The stainless one I used in the trailer is just a tad too big and I found one on the internet that is stainless also and will fit inside the sink and the beauty of it is it is under $20. I need to order it before it goes out of stock. That happens sometimes when I find something that will work. I don't order it when I find it, planning to do so later then it is no longer available.

I did find two glass books that have been out of print for a long time and I just continued to search for them and I found them! YIPEKIO perseverance pays off. I was told by so many folks that they were out of print for so long I just wouldn't find them ~ HA. You can tell that I bash on regardless. They are the second pattern book in a two part series and I wanted part 2 because I like the patterns that part 1 had and wanted more of the same stiles for my village. I haven't received them yet but they have been paid for and I got a notice they have been shipped. One is of the village buildings and the other of mini mansions.

FAYE Your picture is great. You are certainly shrinking ~ love that outfit. I too hate to try on clothes in the shops. I usually just order from catalogues.

JEAN it is good that you found what you want to do when you retire. I am glad I have my little glass business since I do love to do that. Quite a change from my occupation career I must say. But I did cut glass some back then as a hobby and stress reliever.

Hang in there folks and get through the weekend safely and with a smile on your face.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:25 AM   #13  

Jean: Just remember to keep your fingers out of the desserts when working in the hospital coffee shop. I hate to try on clothes in the store because I get so hot doing it. I guess when I am smaller it won't be so bad. So far, I usually do a pretty good job of guessing. My problem is I am 5'7" but have a long body and short legs so I have to be careful about pants too. One of my favorite outfits that I bought to take to Vegas has pants that are too long. It is almost a jersey material and the darn things won't shrink no matter what I do to them. They wash and dry better than anything I have but boly they are too long so I have to roll the waistband, which is ok, but it won't stay rolled half the time!

Maggie: Do you or Cowboy take photos of things you want to "re-create?" Also, how did you ever get started doing this? Sounds like that machine is right down my alley and I have wanted one for a long time so maybe I will check it out and then ask for it for Christmas. I am not a seamstress but I can sure learn. I know basics but not much else. I would like it mostly to make pillows and such not so much clothing.

As usual, I woke up early again. I did an hour and a half in the pool yesterday with lots of laps and add the rainy weather and my hips and shoulders are killing me this morning. I am sure once I get up and going I will loosen up some and if I don't it will get better if I can get in the pool today. We will have to see what the weather is like I guess.

You gals have a nice weekend!

Faye
Old 07-17-2004, 12:30 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Arrow Saturday Morning

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It isn't yet 9:30 am and it is a nice 76 degrees. I slept good last night which is really neat. Even Turn slept good and didn't demand his wet food early as he usually does. I am going to do some work on my courthouse today.

FAYE I do take a picture of what I want to make if I don't have a pattern or find a post card with a picture on it. I got two post cards with the courthouse on it and they both look different because of the paint jobs. The picture I liked best has a blue border around the bottom of the white building and I am going to do that. Right now as the real building sits it is painted all white. But since I am an artist I can do what I want with my rendition. If you want to learn more about that little sewing machine I got you can even see a picture of it if you want. Go to Sears web site and in the "search" thingie type Mini Ultra and it will take you to the page were it is.

Have a nice day all ya'all.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:15 PM   #15  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I'm taking a break from laundry runs and hauling the vacuum around -- what I vacuumed yesterday needed it again today! We are going to church tonight so I need to make sure I have two pieces of an outfit that go together ready! I just can't go to church in shorts, I just can't/won't do it! My grandmother and my mother would definitely not approve! My grandma didn't even approve of jeans and she's been gone almost 40 years now. She would be shocked at today's fashions, I'm sure!

Maggie -- You will have a second job, making glass items, before you know it. The courthouse sounds really cute with using the watch for a clock. I'm going to check out the sewing machine! I've wanted a "little" one even though I have an old desk model with all the bells and whistles. I don't sew alot but think it would so much handier; maybe I will make doll clothes for Maddy someday. When you look for something on the internet, and you don't have a store name like Sears, how do you begin? It seems like it takes me forever and half the time I can't find what I'm looking for and I know it is out there somewhere.

"Gma" -- I don't think I will be tempted to eat at the coffee shop because they were pretty busy the other morning when I was in the gift shop. We can have "free" coffee or iced tea for volunteering our time. That will work fine for me. Besides that, even when I am home, if I never take the first bite, then I am fine and not tempted to keep eating. Once I start though, watch out, anything that is loose is fair game! I think the humidity sometimes makes my hip joints hurt too. But yet, they don't always hurt so I don't know what causes it. It's clouding over like it might rain and I do want to get a walk in this evening.

I need to go put clothes in the dryer and fold the towels that are dry. Have a super weekend, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!