Old 07-06-2004, 04:41 AM   #16  
self portrait

my favorite author is Terry Brooks
I bought this book, a trilogy only because it had my name in the title. It was the Sword of Shannara, The Wishsong of shannara, and the Elfsong of Shannara all in one Huge book.
Imagine my surprise that I found it to be the best three books I have ever read. Which is saying a lot since being an only child and loving to read, I have read so many books, I can't even remember half of them. I was so touched by these three books and taken to a land of make believe that I could not even put it down, except to go to the bathroom and eat. I drove my boyfriend nuts and thank god I was unemployed at the time. I was so moved that i wrote to him and he personally hand wrote me back with an autographed book mark as well. I found out that there is 11 more books in the series ( I have only been able to afford one so far, which makes me sad) and that he writes another series called Landover that i have yet to read one of.
I love so many different kinds of books, I just love reading period. I am also a fast reader like my mom, which annoys my sweetie. I read all the harry potter books, except the last one in four days. That was with going to school and everything.
I also really like Ann Rice books and any thick romance that has to do with vampires, the supernatural or historical. I can't read those thin, one hour romance that is meet, fight, do it and live happily ever after. I hate those, i need a story, history, etc.
Anywho, Now that i have wrote a novel myself I recommend Terry brooks so highly that I am probably his biggest fan. So If you like mystical, life altering, transport you into another world while reading books, go for it.
SqueakMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:04 PM   #17  
RosieKate

Shanna - My DH is a die-hard Terry Brooks fan...buys all his books brand new in hardcover. This is really high praise because we are devoted to our library and rarely buy books.

Oh - Judy Blume! she brings backs memories! First of all there's Tale of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge - both of which DS likes. HOWEVER... I recall passing around "Forever" during junior high softball games, with all the "good parts" dog eared. lots of giggling going on.

Oh boy, if I get started on books, I may not stop!

Healthy Living
When you Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull up a Chair - Geneen Roth
How to Get Your Kids to Eat, But Not Too Much - Ellyn Satter
Ultimate Weight Loss Solution - Phil McGraw

Non fiction
Fast Food Nation - David Schlosser
Seabiscuit - Laura Hillebrand
Complete Tightwad Gazette - Amy Dacyzyn
Mrs. Greenthumbs - Cassandra Danz ( best garden book ever)

Fiction
Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Atonement - Ian McEwan
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
anything by Margaret Atwood
No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith

Reading right now
Quentins - Maeve Binchy. So far I'm liking it, but I liked Tara Road better.

I am enjoying this thread. A good friend has recommended Janet Evanovich to me...and I see her name coming up here several times. Since I haven't read anything of hers, what book do I start with?

I'm meeting with my book group tomorrow night, so I'll have more titles to throw around after that, I'm sure.
RK
Old 07-06-2004, 09:56 PM   #18  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

You ladies have given me A LOT of great reading! Going to have to print these posts.

Also, want to add another by Billie Letts-Where The Heart Is I loved the book, it was so much better than the movie even though I like the movie to. Did anyone see the movie?
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:40 PM   #19  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

RosieKate..I loved Tara Road!

Sue
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:32 AM   #20  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Rosiekate start at 1 (one) and keep going...
I finished 10 yesterday morning and brought it to work for a woman named Terry who loves the author,,,she finished it last night and started it again this morning,,,she is the one who gave me Fern Micheals series...which I am finding really enjoyable
BUT Janet has a way of making you laugh so hard you hurt...I checked out her wed site and her next one is coming out in Nov....

Shanna I read Ann Rice a couple years ago,,,didn't enjoy it,,,and then one of Brandon's friends gave me Sleeping Beauty the first of the series and OMG I felt like I was reading penthouse or something,,,really REALLY can't even say racey cause its beyond that...

Well gotta go finish my book
Angie
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:45 AM   #21  

Height: 5'1"

Oohh.....you sparked my curiousity with the Sleeping Beauty.....beyond racey??? I can't imagine that!! ok...yes I can. I've had books that way....one that was passed around at school and then later on my parents asked me where in the "bleep" did I get such a book....they bought it for me for Christmas one year!! (didn't even know it) I wish I knew the name of the book. It was a horror story, but it was intense. And for a kid...it was TRULY intense!!

ok...off I go to tend to some potatoes!!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:57 AM   #22  
GmaTo8

Cristi - I have the book and saw the movie. I especially liked the character Stockard Channing played, lol. Also, had to laugh when the old guy wanted to keep the kitchen table, lol.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:34 AM   #23  
One day at a time

I liked Stockard Channing also Jana, and yes the old man wanting to keep the table was funny.

You ladies have peaked my interest with Janet Evanovich. I know I have read some of her stuff, but for the life of me can't remember what. Going to have to check out B & N and see her list of books.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:38 PM   #24  
Give me strength

I like Stockard Channing as an actress,,,what a name eh?
Old 07-07-2004, 11:58 PM   #25  
self portrait

Me too me too, I love her, I so wanting to be like Rizzo, after watching Grease millions of years ago. She was so great and I love the movie Where the heart is, however is is has been on every night on the lifetime channel for about a year it seems, so it is starting to get old, although I love watching the end over and over again, I get teary eyed every time since I am such a baby. My boyfriend just laughs at me and every time we see Stocakrd channing he always makes fun of me about her being my hero or something because of grease. What a butt.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:26 AM   #26  
Give me strength

Pratical Magic with Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock...is one of my favorite movies with her in it.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:59 AM   #27  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up

If you want a fantastic ending of a movie, how about An Officer and a Gentleman when Richard Gere (in his Navy dress whites) comes into the factory where Debra Winger is working, scoops her up and takes her out of there???? It is soooo romantic! And the music is cool, too..... I think it's Love Lift Us Up, or something like that... Anyway, it sure is romantic and I used to rewind it a couple of times, lol.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:04 AM   #28  
self portrait

I am with you Jana, That is a great movie with a great mushy loving ending. Oh the joy of romantic movies!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:31 AM   #29  

Running with Scissors, by Augusten Burroughs
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone
Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald there are so many I can not ever remember all the titles!!!!...I do like Jennifer Cruise and Evanovich for the commute time!!!!
KidzRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:24 PM   #30  
One day at a time

Angie, I love Practical Magic, even bought the soundtrack. Another good one ladies was Dirty Dancing-loved the end-"No one puts Baby in a corner" hehehe Also, have that sound track. And Jana, oh, that is a GREAT love story! I love a happy ending where the girl gets the guy or the guy gets the girl-which ever.

Anyhoo...just finished Black Lightning by John Saul and was a little disappointed, definitely not one of his better books. Started on Midnight Voices. Need to get it finished by Monday and get it to the library. Next on my list is Living Your Best Life by Laura Berman Fortang, anyone read that one?? Then Before I Say Good-Bye by Mary Higgins Clark and Blind Side by Catherine Coulter I have made it a goal to read at least one book a week. I so enjoy reading and need to get back into it. Gives me something to do and take me away.

Hey, did someone mention a book swap a while back? I know it has been a long time but I could have sworn someone did. Anyway...since some of us are avid readers I thought I would share some books. Not really do a swap, but if someone would like some of the books I have I would be more than happy to pass them on. If anyone is interested I will make a list of some I don't mind parting with and see if I have any takers. Hey, gotta make room for the new ones. There are some though that are very good that I will never give away because eventually I will read them again, and again.