South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:02 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Favorite OP Foods

Hi, Chickies!

Sounds like some people are having trouble with food boredom. Sometimes, I too deal with it! I am always looking for new ideas, so am hoping we can fill this thread with tons of yummy OP food ideas from treats to snacks!

My favorite is dill pickles with peanut butter, but since I doubt anyone else would want to eat it , my second favorite is pears with Laughing Cow Light cheese. I used to eat that before I started SBD and was thrilled to see it in the book! I also love red bell peppers with hummus with roasted red bell peppers. That's a whole lot of pepper! I was thrilled with the crispy coating that pesto forms on the broiled tomatoes with pesto (in the SBD book under Phase 1)...I use a premade pesto in a jar, so it is super quick and oh, so yummy!

Chime in...I can't wait to hear what OP foods you love!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:32 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal
Chime in...I can't wait to hear what OP foods you love!
Yeah, me too. I can't think of a damned one at the moment.

Great idea for a thread, Laurie.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:02 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Now, Ellis, you know we are both addicted to pistachios.
My favourite is hummus with raw veggies to dip into it on Phase I.
On Phase II, my favourite food is/are berries! I can hardly keep from drooling as I anticipate the first local strawberries which will be around Canada Day!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:38 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Yay for strawberries!!! (where is that smilie with the licking tongue? perfect to use here!) My parents in CA live right next to a strawberry patch and bring home whole flats of fresh strawberries that are huge and red all the way through. So amazing! We have a patch near us and I have my DH watching it carefully on his way to work and back. I'm hoping to get a carton of the first ones picked!

Now, Ellis...there has to be something...

Pistachios are really good, huh...my grandfather always liked them and I didn't understand why. Now that I am forced to consider them, I actually like them a lot! Have either of you tried the Pistachio bark recipe from the first book...or maybe it's the cookbook? It sounds really good....but I doubt I would stop at one piece. <sigh>
Old 05-31-2004, 02:58 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

My favorites are pears with low fat cheese or granny smith apples with low fat cheese (phase 2).

I also enjoy 1 cup of sliced strawberries topped with some low fat - sugar free vanilla yogurt - nice treat.

The Danone low fat - sugar free "La creme" yogurt mousse is OP but feels like a decadent indulgence. The vanilla tastes like cheese cake filling

No sugar added creamsicles and fudgsicles are pretty good too.

I also eat Laughing cow cheese on WASA crispbread.

Cucumber slices marinated in Balsamic vinegar are a good snack or addition to lunch and I enjoy carrots, broccoli and cauliflower with hummous or roasted red pepper dip.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I have become addicted to braeburn apples!!! omg they are soo wonderful!! oh and ground turkey stuffed bell peppers are awesome!!

Michelle
Old 05-31-2004, 04:43 PM   #7  
I found my hipbones!

This may sound strange to many of you, but I've been having raw cauliflower or broccoli with salsa and guacamole. I really miss having chips and salsa, so it kinda curbs that urge, and it really boosts my fiber count for the day.

I'm now addicted to the peanut butter cups! Love them.

The other main snacks I stick to are mozzarella cheese sticks, cottage cheese, sugar free jello, pistachios, red peppers, or turkey roll-ups. I wish I liked more kinds of raw veggies, but I mostly just like them cooked. Can't wait for there to be fresh garden tomatoes later on this summer! I can eat those by the bucket!
Old 05-31-2004, 05:02 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Wow, so many great snacks! I can't wait to try them! Mauvais, I am so glad that I'm not the only one sneaking Wasa crispbreads! They are delish! Unfortunately, with my one starch a day thing, I haven't gotten the chance to eat them lately, but I really like them!

I didn't know La Creme had LFSF yogurt??? I've died and gone to heaven! I used to love La Creme with sliced strawberries, and have been trying Light and Fit Carb Control Vanilla with the strawberries. I saw that mousse, but I thought it must be fatter than the original and didn't even look at it! I know what my treat for next week will be! :

Michelle, do you have a recipe for the stuffed bell peppers? I know this sounds stupid, but I've never had stuffed bell peppers! I would love to try them! What do Braeburn apples taste like? Sweet? Tart? Sounds neat!

Fuzzy, I think it's great that you like raw cauliflower and broccoli! Those are the two I have the most trouble with! I'll have to try the salsa thing. I miss chips and salsa too!
Old 05-31-2004, 09:46 PM   #9  

My favorite -- and this was even before SB -- is sliced tomatoes, buffalo (fresh) mozzarella, with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil. Heaven!!!

Last edited by Natter; 06-02-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:24 PM   #10  

Avocado! Hands down. Laughing Cow lite cheese is a distant second.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:38 PM   #11  

Beachgal -

Lets see...I kind of wing it when I make the bell peppers lol so I'll do my best:
Preheat oven to 375

1 Medium Bell Pepper
Lean Ground Beef or Ground Turkey (I use turkey)
1/3 cup all natural ketchup (I use Un-ketchup by westbrae)
1/3 cup onion
1/4 cooked brown rice
pepper to taste
salt to taste
Garlic powder to taste

I prepare the rice first since it takes like an hour to cook.

1. Spray pan with olive oil cooking spray
2. Add beef or turkey and brown
3. Take out all beef but 3/4 cup
4. Add onion and sautee with the beef
5. Season with Salt, Pepper, and garlic powder to your taste buds liking.
6. Add Ketchup
7. Add rice
8. Let cook on low for about 10 minutes
9. carve the top off your pepper and clean out the seeds inside
10. Set a pot of water to boil
11. Boil the pepper about 5 minutes in a rapid boil
12. Take the pepper out and make sure you get the water out of it
13. Fill the pepper with the beef/rice/ketchup mixture
14. Put the pepper in a baking dish and cover with aluminum foil
15. Bake for 45 min

Viola!!
Hope you like them!

Michelle
Old 06-01-2004, 07:23 AM   #12  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

you guys have lots of great snack ideas. I am not really much of a snacker.....I am kinda a picker. Maybe I should have the fridge stacked with precut and premade snack things then I would less likely to snack on the bad things.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:07 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Little Chick, that sounds like a good plan! I have a ton of celery in the fridge, but because it is not cut, I do not reach for it! (yup, you can call me lazy!) I think I need to cut stuff up, too!

If you are on Phase 2, check your market for these pre-sliced apples. They are treated with lemon juice so they do not brown and come in little packages in the produce section. Very convenient and yummy!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:14 AM   #14  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I find it definitely helps to have things precut and ready to go. On Sunday afternoon/evening I make Monday's lunches for me and DH and at the same time I wash and cut up all of the celery and leave it in the fridge in a container with some water.

I also peel and cut up cucumber slices and keep them in a tupperware container so I can snack on those or toss them in a salad. Baby carrots and hummous are a good thing to have on hand too.

Beachgal- I thought WASA was okay if it was the wholewheat variety I don't eat them every day though.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:36 AM   #15  

Every Friday when I come home from shopping I cut up all my veggies and put them in tupperware. Its very easy and convenient for me and makes it alot easier to reach for the good foods!

Michelle
Closed Thread