Old 07-09-2004, 11:08 AM   #76  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Robyn, There is an internal investigation being done at the lab by the supervisor. She was the one who found the faxed order with the date and time on it. She was upfront about what happened in the first place. She was the one who told us that it wasn't the doctor's office, it was indeed the lab technician who chose to ignore the order. She called my husband and asked for a description of the person he dealt with. It was who she thought it would be. Apparently they have had problems with him in the past, and are looking for enough evidence to penalize him. Will he be fired...put on probation? I don't know. But, I have to say that I am impressed that they aren't trying to cover it up. However, if this does turn into something serious as a result of the lab technician's negligence, forthright or not, they'd better watch out!

P.S. Your friend has a plane, and your kids will probably go flying while you and your friend have lunch? Pardon me! Getting a little taste of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous?" Tee hee hee! Have fun!

WELCOME CHILICHICK!!! It is always nice to have some new blood! I don't know much about the South Beach Diet. I had done Dr. Phil for about 6 months, but the results were coming too slowly for me. I am back on Weight Watchers...loosely too! I just started a WW thread for teachers because I need some help being more faithful to the WW program. I saw that there are some South Beach threads. Have you checked them out? Well, welcome again. Stick around. It can get pretty fun around here...especially during the school year when we get sarcastic *****ing and moaning! (Robyn's the best at the sarcasm!)

Kerry, sorry about your aches and pains...grab one of your DH's 800mg ibuprofens, and you won't be feeling any pain. (I'm sorry the ibuprofen gives him so much trouble. It was my savings grace when I was recovering from my C-section. Percocet made me so nauseous, so they gave me the ibuprofen which relieved the pain better and didn't make me sick. I guess everybody's body is different.) I overdid exercise two days ago when I got pissed about my plateau which I am still sitting on. I had already biked 30 minutes, then I did a 45 minutes aerobics tape. Well, my right knee swelled up. Luckily, after I iced it I felt much better. It is frustrating when others can exercise like crazy without getting hurt.

AND, IT IS REALLY FRUSTRATING WHEN PEOPLE ARE NATURALLY THIN AND DON'T GET STRETCH MARKS NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO TO THEIR BODY!!! Okay, sorry. I'm not over yesterday yet. I may never be. It is time that I accept my tall, big-boned, short-necked, Swedish body. The good part is that when I am thin, I am rather voluptuous. I just always envied petite women. Tick tick tick...time to get over it and work with what I have!!!
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:20 PM   #77  
KAR

Well I had enough engery and motivation to mow the yard this morning. I got that done and over with for another week. My dh must have felt bad because he cleaned up some of the house well I was out there sweating off (hopeful a couple pounds, too) my a**. He even made lunch today.
Summer sorry to hear that your DH is having trouble with the lab tech. That is not fair or nice what that guy did to your DH. When will you hear about his results? I hope that he is soon on the road to recovery. How many more days until your vacation to Disney?
Robyn enjoy your lunch with your friend today. Your not going to fly off and leave us for a few days are you?
Mouse, sorry to hear about your trying evening the other night at school. If those professors were fair, they would let you have a second chance to do your assignment over. Don't feel bad abour crying in front your class, you have had a lot of stress in your life here lately. That is one way to relieve stress. Hope things are going better for you today.
Ginny did you get your house and yard ready for your vistor's this weekend? You are a brave lady having teenage boys over to your house. LOL.
Chilichick, I hope you come join our little group. One of the ladies at my mom's church is on The South Beach Diet. She really likes. My family doctor told me to try it to get out of my weight loss slump. I have been waiting for the book to come in at my library. It has been out for ever.
Well off to hit the shower. Talk to you all later.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Take care,
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:47 PM   #78  
Swimming Mouse

Hi, everybody.
I feel sympathy for those with ibuprofen issues! I can't take it because it interacts with the spironolactone. I never know if I should right down I'm allergic to it or not on the sheets, because I'm not really... I just don't want to find out what will happen if I take it while on the spironlactone!
I'm still pissed off at the instructors at the University. I mean, the more I think about it... Because they gave me 2 F's, and that wasn't called for. I honestly think they did it to "get back at me", because I had a 100% in the class before that, and between myself and other of the other students, we talk a LOT. I know as much as they do about access to assistive technology, and I think they might be smarting a bit over that. I can't help it! My mom is a computer programmer, and I have had access to a computer at home since I was 8! And damn it, if I'm going to pay $1180 for a class just because it meets in the freaking lab (which we haven't really used!), then I'm going to express myself in it too!
Okay. I can't do anything about it, so I shouldn't stress over it.
Good news: I was offered a part-time, 2 evenings per week 'job' for the fall. I'm assuming that it pays money, but it might only be a free membership to my gym. Either way, I'd get extra money. They had a huge number of kids sign up for swimming lessons on Saturday and Sunday evenings after the pool closes. So, the person who does the classes is a friend of mine and asked me if I'd be interested. She knows that I did Special Olympics swimming when I was in my last inner city school with my students. She's also trying to get me added to the list of people to take the lifeguard certification class through the gym... its cheaper than anywhere else, and the pool manager said she'd love to have me do some fill-in sessions. And THAT definitely pays money! Another teacher at my school used to guard there and told me that 2 years ago, they paid him $10/hour. So that'd be great. Its an indoor pool. If I'm a guard, even if I only fill in 1 or 2 times a week, I'd get a free membership as well...
Now I need to really work on my freestyle swimming. I normally do breaststroke because I can't kick very well. But for the lifeguard test you have to do 12 lengths of freestyle, and 8 of anything else. I did it before (admittedly somewhat slowly and oddly), but that was before I hurt my ankle.
Now, I'm going to go stress out some other people: you were talking about poor medical care. I didn't tell you all about the plastic surgeon and how she lied to my insurance company. They must have thought I was kidding when I called them and told them I didn't want to see her again, and that I wanted ALL of my records 2 weeks ago. I haven't gotten them yet! So, I guess I get to call and be mean.

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:15 PM   #79  
KAR

That is great news about a part-time job, Mouse! You have a lot to offer those young people who want to learn how to swim.
I finally have the house to myself for a couple hours. The kids had their last swimming lesson tonight from 6 to7. Then from 7:30 until 9:30, they were are my stepdd's ball team's pool party. They all begged me to go with them, but I said no. I was able to pick up the house a little bit and get some more laundry done. Plus I just wanted some peace and quiet to do the things I like to do. Like read and listen to the music on the music video channel on cable. I figured that this was pay back time to my dh anyway. He has slept in every day this week. I have been the one to get the kids feed something for breakfast, get them dressed, teeth brushed and out the door to the library program and art lessons. Plus in the evenings, I have been the one to get them showers and ready for bed. Plus read them bedtime stories. I figured he could be responsible for them at the pool for awhile. Considering the other night, the kids wanted me to go to the pool with them too. But my dh said no I wasn't needed to be there. He wanted to take them, so I figured he could take them by himself again tonight. He was begging me to go. I stood my ground and said no thanks. Plus it was too hot out for me. I didn't want to sit for 3 1/2 hours and watch the kids in the pool.
So what is everyone 's big plans for the weekend? I think we might go hiking tomorrow at Old Man's Cave if the weather permits. Then Sunday we are going to play ball at the ballfields again. I am hoping to finish the book I am currently reading. It is called A Parchment of Leaves by Silas House. It is a great read, about a Cherokee born lady raised in Kentucky in the early 1900's who falls in love with a white man.
Well I better go and finish the laundry. Talk to you all later.
Take care,
Kerry
Old 07-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #80  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hi Chili! Do NOT let Summer mislead you.... we do not b#$%@ and there is NO sarcasm around these parts! NONE! Nada... NOOOOOOO. Summer is trying to mislead you! I am a sweet, calm, delicate Southern Bell! I wither at the sounds of B#$%*( and find it non productive to partake of such! I must go fan myself with my Scarlet O'Hara fan now!
(The rest of this post is not meant for your KindyTeacher eyes, my new friend!)

Summer, Dahhhhlin....now why did you go and mislead our new friend Chili?? Do you want her to think ill of our little charming happy group? Do you want her to think that I have some sort of loud screaming ranting crazy cussing mouth? Don't you want her to think that we are the Stepford Teachers? Now about that skinnya$$ed mother of FREAKINTRIPLETS who parades around the beach in a string bikini with no apparent stretch marks..... I say, let her relax on the beach.... tell her to take a little sunbath nap....tell her that you'll be in charge of her darling but rather TEENY TINY UNDERFED in UTERO triplets ... let her drift off in a peaceful little sleep. THEN.... take out your brown eyeliner and red lip liner and go to town. IF she had no stetch marks before her nap....HA, she would have some damn marks when she wakes from her peaceful sleep!
.....Don't you HATE that? I gained 18 pounds with my first baby. Went back down to my regular (altho far from Twiggy) weight and then gained 22 pounds with my second baby. When all was said and done. I have a map across my belly that can get you from Kennebunkport Maine down to Baja California. I can also get from Miami to Seattle and MANY spots in between. I am a BONUS to have around. Who needs an ATLAS??? They've got my gut! I carried two babies, one at a time. WHAT THE HECK kind of momma can produce triplets without a mark??? If the eyeliner and lipliner trick doesn't work.... then I'd have to bury her up to her little hottie neck in sand. Let me know if you need me to plot out your trip from Conn to Orlando for you! It got us from Va to Florida without getting lost once!
Ohhhh and I nearly forgot. YES! My boys do go flying while my girlfriend and I have lunch! Yesterday, they flew over all the Jamestown, Williamsburg, Yorktown (We live in a VERY historic (read that as tourist filled!) area of VA!) sites and THEN they flew over our house, neighborhood, their schools, the river, etc.... They took a camera with them...but who knows how the photos will turn out! They had a ball! My friends dh was a dear! My friend and I (best buds since we were 8....that is a LONG time when you're 39!) got a nice visit in... never long enough...but...better than nothing! Sometimes, he flies into one of the airports, picks me up and we go flying off someplace for lunch or dinner and then he flies me back! Kinda fun! I love love love flying with them!

Mouse> Your class is about assistive technology? You know a bunch about that? AT is one of my personal areas of interest. I have a son who must rely on AT for his success at school. TELL ME EVERYTHING YOU know! LOL You know how mommas like me are! (AND I do know what you mean about always having computer access and knowing stuff! My dh works at NASA. Due to his work, we've had internet access since back to the days before their were pictures online. I'm talking back before there was a netscape! LOL Our computers at home have always been networked. Actually having a lot of technology at home has helped our oldest! He is going into 7th grade...but back in 1st grade, he taught his teacher how to use Word! ) Hang in there with all your STUFF! You sure do have a bunch of STUFF to be stressed over! Is there an official way to complain about what happened in your class? What do the others in your class say about what happened?

Kerry> I hope you got to enjoy being at home alone! I am very rarely home alone. When THEY leave for a while I either read or mess around with my beading or VERY rarely will watch a movie! I love when the house is quiet! NO hum of the laundry, the tv, no dishwasher, no kids "loving each other" (read "fighting").... I just finished reading _The General's Daughter_ . I'm going to get the movie (I've never seen it!) on the next 99cent day at the video store! It was a great book! Too long tho! I will go back to the library and make sure that what I check out is UNDER 450 pages!
Summer, did you get the book I put on your summer reading list?

Ginny> When is your son's gathering? Is it this weekend? Our oldest is 12......and I shutter to think of his friends hanging out here in masse! (He is a boy scout and we hang out on Mondays with his scout friends! NOPE...they aren't coming over anytime soon all at once! LOL)

Well.... This is soooo long and I haven't even explained that I've continued to exercise on schedule, drink my water right, AND eat in a controlled fashion! I am planning on spending an hour or so with my WW stuff and go hard core WW on Monday. I am sorry to admit this...BUT, I can NOT find the WW/Teacher strand. Summer, I am sorry to tell you that I'm too stupid ....I did see all the other stuff that you mentioned in your VERY detailed directions...but GEESH! Um....can you embed a real link on this page, please?! OR I'm gonna have to turn this page into my WW rants... I mean posts!

Summer, glad to hear that what happened at the lab is being investigated! Someday I'll have to share what happened to me once in a dr.'s office. aRGHHHHHH....people and their stupidity make me crazy! (says the woman who can NOT find the WW strand! It's a little ironic, don't you think?! hehehe)

Okey... I'm off to tell my ds that his LedZepplin is too loud..... GEESUS, I've turned into my mother! And since when do 12 year old boys like their Momma's Led Zepplin?
Ya'll take care! Make a plan. STICK to it! ....and MOVE your fanny!
(((Hugs))) Maybe I'll wait to make him turn it down until AFTER my favorite "Kashmir" is over! hehehe... I may have turned into my mom.....but that song still ROCKS! LOL

Robyn
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 01:48 PM   #81  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Do I win the prize for having the LONGEST posts or WHAT?!
Old 07-10-2004, 02:11 PM   #82  
KAR

Afternoon Ladies,
I enjoyed my quiet evening at home last night. Now I am really glad that I didn't go. There were 5 softball teams having a pool party. Too many children for me to see on my summer vacation all at one time.
Today I am planning on going for a bike ride when everyone gets home again. My stepdd spent the night at her best friend's house and my dh took the boys to his brother's house. I didn't want to go back there after what happened last Saturday with my sister-in-law's drunk brother. I am in too good of a mood today to put up with his crap.
Robyn you are a hoot girl! Your posts make me laugh. Glad to hear that you had a great visit and lunch with your best friend yesterday. I only see my best friend when I go home to visit my family. Her work schedule doesn't provide her a lot of free time to come visit me at times. She has only came to see me twice since I moved out of my parents house 5 years ago. So enjoy all the special times with your best friend. We talk on the phone and computer all the time though.
Mouse how is your health today? I bet the heat doesn't help you either.
Summer are you going to take Robyn up on her idea about giving the triplet's mommy some strecth marks? Sounds to me like Robyn must have done this before. LOL
Chili I hope we didn't scare you off. We are a fun loving group of ladies.
Ginny I hope your get together was a success!
Well I need to go and make some beds. Yeah!! More laundry I had to do today.
Take care,
Kerry
Old 07-10-2004, 03:06 PM   #83  
Swimming Mouse

Hi, all. I'm here, and relatively healthy. No throwing up today, though I sure have wanted to! We'll see what happens when I add the contraceptives back in, as I start those again tonight. It was interesting last time.
Its not all that hot here, only 83... and I'm inside with the A/C. I'm the dispatcher this weekend, again, but because it was really my turn to do it and I'm not covering, I'm kinda stuck inside all weekend. I have to do 4 papers (3 of them for that silly class!) and laundry, so its not too bad. I also need to change the cat box, and empty the dishwasher. So far, I've been motivated to do none of it, and its 3 p.m. on Saturday. It'll get done before Monday morning. But I'd rather go swimming!!!!!
Robyn: Yes, I do know a lot about assistive technology. Its my main concentration for my 2nd masters/doctorate/whotheheckknowswhatitwillbe program.
I heard from my endocrinologist yesterday. Because of the endocrine disorder that caused most of the weight gain (remembering that I wasn't skinny before, but wore a 16-18-20), I have developed this thing that hangs off the front. Its where all the weight went. Apparently its medical term is a 'pannus'. Anyway, once there it won't go away...Its one of the indicators of a serious endocrine imbalance because women don't usually get them. My oh-so-lovely students tell me that it looks like I have two butts. Aren't teenagers, especially emotionally disturbed ones, WONDERFUL???
So...my endocrinologist has been pushing me, since January, to find a plastic surgeon to get it removed. Her theory is that having it removed would alleviate some of the out of whack hormones. I produce too much testosterone, insulin, cortisol. The ones I produce too much of are produced mainly by fat cells. So the development of the pannus is kind of a way for the dysfunction to continue, the way a tumor produces its own blood vessels. Having it removed would solve some of the problem, although I'd likely still be on at least some of the medication I take now for the rest of my life.
However, I mentioned a plastic surgeon a few posts back... I found one on my insurance, and met with her. She seemed fairly upfront, answered most of my questions, and didn't push issues like making me undress in front of her right away. She said the surgery was possible, and we could probably get it approved by my insurance. But then I saw what she submitted. The insurance company sent me a copy when they denied the claim. Oh lord... I was . She said that I have personal hygiene issues, that I smell, that I have rashes under the hanging part of the skin, and that I don't exercise! And then, when I talked to her office about this, they initially denied all of it, then agreed that yes, she had written some of that down... and refused to believe that I exercised! It was awful. I decided that I couldn't, and wouldn't deal with that, and asked for my records. That was 2 weeks ago, and I haven't gotten them yet.
So... My endocrinologist decided that SHE was going to find a plastic surgeon. And she did. In Virginia, where she is...but that isn't so bad... but he's not on my insurance. My mother said she'll pay. Which I don't want her to do, but she won't take no for an answer. She is insistant, because I told her what the endocrinologist said, that having it removed will help. The only reason she can pay for it is because she's retiring this year, her contract was bought out so she'd leave early, and she's getting a lump sum plus her retirement.
I'm scared, though, because what if it turns out the weight gain wasn't from the endocrine disorder, and it really is because I eat too much??? Despite being told by my endocrinologist that the cause was the endocrine dysfunction, I have a really hard time believing it. I keep thinking that if I ate less, and exercised more, I'd lose the weight. Even though I know that isnt happening now despite not eating much and exercising everyday.

Old 07-10-2004, 07:36 PM   #84  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Ahhhh, Mousie, what a mean horrible thing for the dr to write on the insurance forms. I can certainly understand why you'd want to find someone else! Where in VA is the other doctor? AND what or why did the insurance company turn down the surgery? Get those medical records back from Dr.Mean. How stressful!

About this AT business.... I really need to pick your brain! Know of any software for math besides MathPad?

Kerry, I, um, don't know what you, um, mean.... I sound, um, as if, um, I've had experience with giving Twiggy stretch, um, marks... WHOOO me???? 5 teams at 1 pool party! You were soooo wise to stay behind! Laundry...my nemisis....Did I spell that correctly??

Summer....Where areeee youuuuu???? Out with Twiggy again?

Ya'll take care,
meee
Old 07-10-2004, 08:35 PM   #85  
Swimming Mouse

I'm so glad that people here understand and that my friends understand, because that surgeon's office sure doesn't get it! They really don't understand why I was upset over the clinical summary. I tried to explain it to two different people, her assistants, and got NOWHERE. They did say that she only 'added' the intertrigo (the rash under the skin) as a diagnostic code, but that it wasn't in her notes. They told me she puts that on ALL of the patients she sees with this issue because otherwise the insurance company won't pay for it. She also submitted it as a procedure solely for weight loss. Yes, it will cause weight loss, but its primary purpose was to control the endocrine disorder. However, because of the way she submitted it, especially the part about how I don't exercise, the insurance company denied it saying that they don't pay for weight loss procedures! And the kicker was that they utterly refused to believe me: I offered to get the records from my gym proving how often I go, and I have eyewitnesses in the form of life-guards and other swimmers who see me there all the time. In fact, I'll probably get asked where I was this weekend because I've become a fixture! I can't swim when I'm dispatcher because I can't have the pager in the pool (though believe me, I considered putting it in the pouch I use for my CD player!!!!). The new plastic surgeon is in Fairfax County, VA. My endocrinologist knows him because he used to practice at the same hospital that she does; but he changed hospitals because the one she is at (according to her) charges quite a lot for surgical procedures. And since he's a plastic surgeon, he has clients who are mostly self-pay. I know the hospital he is at. Its not the one near my old school (THANK GOODNESS!), but I've been over there. I lived in Fairfax County for 2 years; its a pretty decent school district, but my principal there was just as whacko as my principals now. She liked me, and said I was a good teacher; she just didn't want the MR kids in her building, so she refused to let me teach them. I tried to transfer out of the building, but she blocked my transfer (she could do that 'cuz I was the only MR certified teacher, and MR is an area of teacher shortage). And I was half-heartedly looking for jobs elsewhere... so I took the one I have now. I'm looking to leave, too...hopefully in 2006. If I can stand it, I'll let them pay for the 30 credits I need for the second masters/whateverprogram. I'm already committed for the next year, so they'll pay for at least 15 of the credits.

Robyn: send me a private message or email about the assistive tech questions... I need to know how old your son is, why he's using the stuff, what he's currently using, diagnosis, all that jazz. Okay? I do know some software, and have access to people who know a whole lot more than I do who will answer questions if needed!

Old 07-10-2004, 10:08 PM   #86  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Well haven't all of you been busy posting away!

Kerry, I plan on using permanent marker on Triplet Twiggy! I have sharpies in every color...I wonder what color I should use...RED!!! We are leaving for Disneyworld on July 21st...11 more days!!!

Mousie, I can't stand how those of us who are overweight are treated with such disrespect. What a horrible plastic surgeon. She doesn't deserve your business. If she doesn't want to go broke, she'd better learn how to treat people with dignity and submit the insurance forms so the insurance companies cover the charges. DUH!!! She only hurt herself in the long run. I think it is great that you will earn money doing something that will be good for your body at the same time!

Robyn, SOUTHERN BELLE...YOU ARE SOOOOO FULL OF IT!!! I haven't been to a store since you added your book to my summer reading list. Before August 23rd, I promise to pick up a copy and inhale it. What is a link? And, how do you embed it? Do I do link the link while I'm in bed? Do the links come in rainbow colors like the plastic links in my math center at school? Don't you dare call yourself dumb when you have me around to compete for 1st place! Go back and do it again. You will find it. Put on your glasses.

Last night I went to a pool party with DD. DH stayed home and slept. The hosts of the party live in a friggin mansion. The front yard was bigger than my entire lot. I have some wealthy friends who are living large, but this family is living in decadence. DD was so flabergasted. She kept sliding down the pool slide for hours and didn't get out until the host started setting off fireworks...and I'm not talking about the amateur ones. These went high in the sky like the famous Grucci fireworks. Amazing. Afterward, I dragged DD home...she was ready to be adopted by them. Since then I have had to emphasize that people matter more than money...that money doesn't buy happiness...you know, the usual. She didn't buy it.

Today, we picked up our documents at AAA. We agreed to buy DD "Pal Mickey," an interactive plush toy who explains everything about Disneyworld. She knows that she can only spend a certain amount of money down there, and now $60 of it is gone. Then DD rode her bike to her school to play on the playground as I walked (jogged) beside her. After she played, we came home and she swam the rest of the day while I read trash. It was a nice, relaxing, enjoyable day.

Take care my friends. And please, someone try to find my new thread and help Robyn find it. Or someone teach me how to link stuff in bed.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #87  
Swimming Mouse

I am envious! I want so badly to go to Disneyworld, and haven't made it yet. I just adore Mickey (though I'm not overly fond of Minnie). For years I had either a Classic Mickey watch or an Eeyore watch. But bewteen the kids, my cat, and such I've lost them. Several times. :sigh: My cat thinks that watches are collars. He won't wear his collar AT ALL, so he applies the same philosophy to my watches. He steals them and hides them who-knows-where. I never do find them again. He must bury them in his litterbox! I try not to bring it in the apartment, but sometimes I forget, and then BLAM! The watch is gone by the next morning, no matter where I put it!

And no, frankly, I don't understand why medical professionals feel the need to treat people who are overweight with contempt and cruelty. I don't care WHY a person is overweight, you shouldn't treat people in such a fashion. As for this particular surgeon, and the other doctor at Hopkins that I reported... Let's just say that when your hospital has the reputation that Hopkins does, she's not going to go broke anytime soon. There is no need for her to change her attitude or outlook, because she will get people just because of the hospital she is affiliated with.
I mean, really: I work for them, and people are continuously awed that I do. People are continuously awed (at least outside of the greater Baltimore area) that my master's degree is from Hopkins and that I'm working on another one from there. I admit to some of that awe myself, and it did help me sell my house quickly (I told people that I'd been offered a job working for Hopkins Medical and couldn't turn it down, so PUHLEEESE buy my house quickly!!!). And yes, they do perform incredible things for many people. I can't condemn an entire hospital system based on the attitudes of 5 people (2 doctors, 2 assistants, and one nurse practioner). But I also don't have to choose to be treated there.
I'm noticing that many of my current physicians have privileges at another hospital in the area; coincidentally, the same one that runs the gym I belong to. These people don't treat me like I have leprosy, and for the most part accept the fact that my being overweight to the extent that I am now was not caused by a lifestyle choice I made. It is certainly worse because it took me so long to seek medical help, due to the way I'd been treated in the past, but that is not the issue.
Its hard to deal with, and in some cases, I know that if I were petite and skinny, I'd get better care. I've often wondered if the risks associated with being obese are solely from being overweight or if the lack of professional medical care and kindness by medical professionals doesn't play a role as well. Certainly it is like pulling teeth from a chicken to get me to go to a doctor. I threw up and was nauseated for 6 weeks before I finally told my primary care doctor and my endocrinologist!
Old 07-11-2004, 08:28 AM   #88  
KAR

Morning All,
Mousie I am so sorry for the way you have been treated lately. That is not right. It ticks me off how medical professionals will make assumpations about why someone is overweight and that they are just lazy. When for most people who are overweight have a serious medical condition that cause the weight gain. Sometimes I think medical people are plain dumb. I think that is one of the reasons it took me over 6 years before I went to find a regular family doctor for myself. The one I have now is really great. He gets all the facts from you before he makes a decision. Keep your chin up, you know in your heart and mind what you do on a daily basis. You probably excerise more than that doctor does anyway!
Here is the latest with my dh's leg. He reinjuried the sprained muscle and now thinks he might have torn it. He can hardly walk on that leg. He did this yesterday evening and refused to go to the hospital last night. He told me that he would go today. Then right before I went to bed last night, he said that he will go first thing on Monday morning. I told he if he injuries it more, I am not going to feel sorry for him. Looks like my summer is down the drain if he did tear the muscle, because I will have to be taking care of him and his kids needs. I will keep you updated.
Summer sounds like you went to a better pool party than the one my family went to at the city pool. LOL I am glad that you are teaching your dd that money isn't everything. It amazes me how people think sometimes that money can buy anything, especially love. I would rather be dirt poor than have tons of money! So the countdown is on for your vacation, huh?
Robyn did you make your ds turn down his music yesterday. Did you atleast wait until your favorite song was over?
It rained here yesterday afternoon, so I didn't get my walk or bike ride in. So I am going to try to excerise today. I felt like crap yesterday. Wait I did get a workout in yesterday. It was called we watched one of my favorite movies on DVD last night, 8 seconds. Everytime it would get to a good part,either one of the kids or my dh needed something and I went to fetch it for them. LOL
I think I best go and finish getting the children ready for church. They are going with their grandma to her church this morning. Then after they leave,I will be able to get ready to go to my church.
Talk to you all later. Have a wonderful day!
Take care,
Kerry
Old 07-11-2004, 10:35 AM   #89  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Mousie, I know what it is like to avoid getting medical care because of a doctor's bad attitude. Where I live, an hour outside Manhattan, the common saying is, "You can never be too rich or too thin." Many people's value systems are totally screwed up. I've seen a lot of anorexia and bullimia. The pressure to be PERFECT is HUGE. I haven't been to see my primary care physician in almost two years, because I am tired of him lecturing me about my weight. The last time I saw him, I had lost some weight, but because I wasn't at my goal, I had to listen to him talk me to death about BMI, diabetes, and the evils of carbs. He, of course, has a PERFECT physique. His father, who was also a doctor, smoked, drank, and was obese. He died too young, so my doctor is SUPER PARANOID about weight. I understand his concern, but if he would only acknowledge my progress and give me positive reinforcement rather than condemnation, I would see him more regularly and in turn receive better medical care than I am at the walk-in clinic I go to instead. At the walk-in, they don't lecture me...then again, they don't really care about me either. The most recent doctor I've been avoiding...but because he prescribes my Nexium, I can't avoid him for long...is my gastroenterologist. He's a real prize too. He is friendly with my primary care doctor. He blamed my gallstones on obesity. Well, let me tell you something. After doing extensive research, obesity is only a small piece to the puzzle. These are some factors leading to gallstones: Being female, late 30's-40's, drinking cola, having an overabundance of estrogen, being pregnant. There are more, but all of these apply to me. I used to drink diet coke a couple of times a day. I did In Vitro Fertilization to have my DD. I had more hormones (including estrogen) injected into my body than you've ever seen for over 3 years. I gained about 30 pounds before the pregnancy as a result of the hormones and stress eating and 30 more during the pregnancy. My gallbladder was removed when my DD was 18 months old. So, yes, I was/am obese. But, I also had all those other risk factors contributing to my problem. My gastroenterologist only acknowledged the obesity as the cause. AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! He, like my primary care doctor lectures me till he is blue in the face and hasn't acknowledged the 30 pounds I have lost since the surgery. All he sees is what I have left to lose. I was due to see him in April. I have since cancelled and rescheduled my appointment twice to avoid the lecture. I have lost 12 pounds since I last saw him, but since it has been over a year, he will expect a larger weight loss, so I know he will give me the same old routine. I have to see him in August...no more putting it off, I need my meds or I am in agony. So, Mousie, I can really relate to you and how you feel. You are not alone girl. Not ever.

Kerry, did your DH reinjure himself just to ruin your summer? Only kidding. I am so sorry that you have to work so hard taking care of those yahoos when you deserve some TLC yourself. Please try to carve out some Kerry time. If your DH wants to know why you need time for yourself, just tell him that if you don't take care of yourself, you won't be able to take care of the family. If he doesn't understand, do what you need to do anyway. I've started just demanding what I need and taking it. If I wait around for DH to give a sh*t, I will be out of luck. We girls need to watch out for each other.

Robyn, where are you? Are you lost in cyberspace looking for my thread? Tee hee hee!!!

Today is bill paying day, clean up day, laundry day, grocery shopping day, etc. I have a full week of playdates for the next six days straight, so this is the only chance to do what I need to do.

Have a wonderful summer day!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #90  
Swimming Mouse

Its nice to hear that I'm not the only one that has issues with the medical profession. I think it really, really upsets one of my closest friends to hear me tell her about the various issues I've had with doctors because she is the one person who KNEW that I didn't gain the weight because of overeating. She pushed me for years to go to a doctor to get some help with the issue, giving me articles on PCOS and everything. But she felt like her hands were tied because she didn't know what to do when the doctors were so nasty. Ultimately, I think that is why she wants me to move back down to Fairfax County: my endocrinologist is there, and the primary care doctor that shoved me down the path to find my endocrinologist is there too. Although, I have to admit that my new primary care doctor is pretty good (I'm not entirely sure she believed the story, but she now has the records from my endocrinologist so she knows that there is SOMETHING there!), and she referred me to a fantastic gastroenterologist. That woman is good. I like her, so far. She's very direct, and she's got one heck of a mouth on her. She is the only doctor (other than my endocrinologist) who took the whole story at face value, looked at the blood results (I now get copies of everything from various doctors and organize it in a notebook. I'm tired of answering the same questions over and over again!), and said, "Wow. You're really up, aren't you?" She saw how much weight I'd gained and said she would have lost it... and I told her the truth, I did. I was a nasty, nasty person for those few years. And very angry and unhappy at just about everybody.
The gastroenterologist at least doesn't think my gallbladder issues are caused by the overweight: she thinks its caused because when they got the medication right, I started dropping weight. Rather quickly. Since October, which was about the time I started on the sprionolactone in earnest, I've lost almost 65 pounds. I don't think that's quick since I put on 180 in 2 years! I expected to lose more weight faster, because I go to the gym so often and am so finicky about what I'll eat most of the time. I admit that I've lost more of the weight since April when I started getting sick, but I'm not entirely sure that is from being sick: It might be from all the swimming I've been doing too. And I plan to attend weight-lifting in there, because I'm due to be released from PT and hopefully from the orthopedist the end of this month.
And Summer: I totally understand about hormones not working, because none of mine do. I just wish we could make the medical community understand that not everybody is overweight because they sit around stuffing their faces with junk food. Some, probably many, are. A friend of mine says that there are very few people who are overweight because of a primary medical condition, and I think he's probably correct. But there are people who aren't in that boat. And giving those of us who watch what we eat, exercise like mad (how many people do you know that REALLY HONESTLY do at least 60 minutes of vigorous exercise 5 days a week? And if swimming a mile isn't vigorous exercise, I don't know what is!), and still never lose weight. Doesn't that count for something?