Old 07-03-2004, 02:29 PM   #46  
Swimming Mouse

, Mermaid. I went to the pool today, though it was a bit of dance to arrange the schedule so somebody would cover me while I was dispatching. The only thing I dislike about dispatching is that I'm tied to my apartment. Because of living in a city, and parking in a parking garage, if my pager goes off while I'm out, even if I'm just 2 blocks, I'm a minimum of 10 minutes from my apartment. Oh well.
Thanks for the comment: I don't know that the kids were excited: I have a picture of them posing with the ribbon and the display board, and not one of them is smiling! Well, what can I expect with 8 boys classified as moderately mentally ******ed and emotionally disturbed???
I, too, like Garfield... have several posters in my classroom, but my favorite one I have not bought. I don't think I'd get away with hanging it in my classroom, especially given the kids I'm with! It has Garfield, and says, "You CAN'T scare me! I teach!"

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 11:29 AM   #47  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Default Happy 4th of July

Happy Birthday, America!

I hope that all my friends here have a wonderful, fun filled day! Have a great family day! BUT...watch out for the dripping mayonnaise at the picnics!

We will be hanging out at home, grilling dinner and then spraying each other with bug repellent (!) and then going down to our side of the river to watch
the Yorktown fireworks when it gets dark! Things get sorta intense around
our part of VA on the 4th of July! (Ya'll remember what happened at Yorktown, yes?! )

Have FUN!
Robyn
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:18 PM   #48  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Happy Independence Day!!!

As I sit here typing at my computer, every so often I pause to apply more aloe to my SUNBURN!!!

I am such an idiot. I apply SPF 30 to my child. She has NEVER had sunburn in her 6 years of life. I use between a 4 and 8 on my body and a 15 on my face. I'm not sure what I was thinking...maybe I was still intoxicated from last night's BBQ...but I only applied sunscreen to my face and shoulders. I guess I didn't think we would be outside by the pool for very long. But after two hours without sunscreen, OUCH!!! I'M IN PAIN!!!

Last night, we had DD's school friend, little sister, and parents over for a BBQ. It was great to get to know them. We had fun, and the girls had a blast. The only thing was that her friend's father kept flirting with me. It was so awkward with his wife sitting right there. Since I was just getting to know them for the first time, I didn't know if he does this with everyone or if he has the "hots" for me. Part of me was flattered...it has been a long time since someone has treated me that way...and part of me felt horrible for his wife whether she noticed it or not, it was pretty disrespectful of her. My DH was clueless...which is probably a good thing.

Today, after swimming in the pool and hanging out in my backyard, we went to Fairfield beach where my extended family has a cottage. Every year everyone gathers from all over the country for a family reunion there. It was wild to sit and watch everyone constantly eating while I sipped on my Mike's Hard Lemonade. And when I did eat, it was just a cheeseburger, baked beans, and watermelon. I didn't have a hot dog or any of the mayo salads, and I avoided seconds. It was very interesting feeling to consciously control myself while the feeding frenzy took place. I was/am very proud of myself. Tonite we will make s'mores, but again, I will control myself.

Kerry, that boy you taught how to read in 7th grade has you to thank for having any kind of positive future. He may be gone now, but he will always have that time with you. You truly changed his life for the better. God bless you. Also, I am so sorry about your stepDD's coach. 31 is WAY TOO YOUNG to die. How horrible for everyone who loved him. I think it was a very healthy thing for her to go to the calling hours. In fact, I think it would have been worse for her had she not gone. We all need to come to terms with death. It was appropriate for her to face it in this way.

Mouse, I AM AMAZED BY THE AMOUNT OF TIME YOU SPEND SWIMMING!!!!! GOOD LORD LOUISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robyn, thanks for understanding how I feel about parenting. I think too many people take parenting too lightly. In the past two weeks, two children under the age of 4 were hit by cars and were killed. The parents weren't watching them. Last week a 5 year old boy was raped by a man out on the street in the city I teach in. The mom was quoted as saying, "I started to worry when it got dark and he hadn't come home." What the f*cking h*ll is a 5 year old doing playing out in the neighborhood without adult supervision?! Apparently the kids around there just go outside on their own and return home for dinner. I wasn't allowed out in my neighborhood to play without adult supervision until I was 8, and that was 31 years ago when the world was a safer place. IF YOU CAN'T WATCH YOUR KIDS, DON'T HAVE THEM!!! So now, 3 innocent children's lives have been destroyed all because their parents weren't paying attention to them. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
I don't care who calls me overprotective. At least I know I am doing everything I can to keep my kid safe and sound.

Enjoy the holiday!!!
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:49 PM   #49  
Swimming Mouse

Hi, everybody!

Hope everybody has had a nice July 4th! Mine has, knock on wood, been very quiet! This is a good thing, as I was the dispatcher/duty worker on-call for our local Red Cross Disaster Services team. We've only had two fires this weekend which is a blessing. It is bad enough to lose a house to fire or disaster, but then to lose it on a holiday is worse.

I was thrilled yesterday as I managed to eat and keep all of what I ate down. This has become a real issue over the last 2 months; the doctors think that my body has stopped responding appropriately to at least one hormone that causes your gall bladder to work. The result being that I'm surviving on protein shakes, turkey sandwiches and salad. If its low-fat and very plain, I can usually keep it down. But yesterday some friends introduced me to pakorah (vegetables fried in chick-pea flour). Horrible for you, but very tasty... and I figured what the heck? If I was going to get sick, I may as well enjoy it before hand!
Unfortunately, today wasn't quite so good. Oh well. As my mother would say, 'this, too, shall pass.'
Thanks for the compliment on the swimming, Summer. I swim not only for exercise, but so I don't have to work quite as hard at restraining the 'fist of death' around my colleagues and administrators. I assume thatyou've read Dilbert and are familiar with 'the fist of death'? If not, I can explain.
My fellow teachers are asking me to teach each job area we offer separately, and not cross-over into any of the other job areas while teaching one. This goes against everything that I've ever learned, and believed in for teaching. My teaching is a thematic whole, an eclectic mix. Anyway... that is why I swim. I go almost everyday after work. Somehow, it makes dealing with this stuff at work more bearable.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:28 AM   #50  
KAR

Morning Mousie, Robyn and Summer,
Glad to hear that you all had a wonderful weekend! Mine weekend was fine. We stayed at home most of it. We did go to my brother-in-laws on Saturday evening for a family get together. Things were going fine until my sister-in-law's brother got drunk and started to act like an idiot. Let's just say I was almost in tears before my dh and I left to come home. I was sitting in the living room watching the Nascar race with my nephew's girlfriend and sister-in-law and the drunk idiot came in the room. He got down on the floor beside the chair I was sitting in and started to look under the chair. He said D*mn Kerry you better get out of that chair before you bust the spring in it. The chair is sitting really low to the ground. You could poke someone 's eye out when that spring pops. It didn't help that my sister-in-law and nephew's girlfriend was laughing about it either. I just kept my mouth shut and tried to ingore him. Then he sat there and kept staring at me and asking if he could ask me a question. I knew he was going to ask me about my weight so I told him no I didn't want to talk to him. Finally when the race was over, I told my dh that I wanted to go home. He knew something was wrong and asked about it going out their driveway. He said that the drunk idiot didn't mean anything by it, he just gets that way when he has one to many to drink. That he won't remember it the next day. I said that I would and it might be a long time before I speak to him again. That was just a little too painful to endure. On a good note about that family get together, I didn't over eat and was proud of myself.
Yesterday, I spent the afternoon and part of the evening cleaning. I cleaned out my closet. Was able to get another bag of clothes for my yard sale out of it. I have just 5 big black garabage bags full of clothes to get rid of. Then I worked in cleaning out the back storage closet. I have a little bit more to go in there. I think I am going to work on that this evening while my dh takes the kids to the city pool for swimming lessons.
I did excerise this weekend. I rode my excerise bike for 30 minutes on Saturday morning and did 20 minutes on my gazelle. Then yesterday evening my dh and I went for a walk around town. So I was able to excerise and control my eating all weekend long. Plus I was able to go to a buffet yesterday for lunch with my dh. I was proud of myself. It was at the Chinese restuarant just down the street from our house. I had one and half plates of food. But I picked all vegetable dishes to sample and had two crab ragoons. I love those and use to eat 6 to 8 of them. Now just one or two are good enough for me.
Well today I have my appointment with the nutritionist at 9:45. Then I think I will stop in at Curves on my way home and workout. This afternoon we are to go play ball at the ball field. It has been a while since I played ball. God I hope I don't embarass myself too bad.
Summer isn't amazing how some people have children and don't care enough about them. They put themselves first and their children are an afterthought. I saw that a lot when I worked in an inner city school for my first 3 years of teaching. It is sad, how some of these children are left to grow up on their own so to speak. Then society whats to know what is wrong with our youth. It is lack of parental support and guidance. I still see some of it in the county school setting I am in now. It breaks my heart to see how some children are treated. If I could, I would bring them all home with me and show them the love, guidance and support they need. Then sometimes, I wonder if I am too strict and overprotective of my three stepkids, because of what I have witnessed at school. Sorry to hear about those three innocent little children.
Robyn, I am very proud of you for watching what you ate and working out this weekend. That is great. So how did your meaurements go?
Mousie, that is a wonderful stress reliever you do. I know when I work long days at school on Mondays and Wednesdays, those are my two days that I go workout at the gym before coming home. If not, I am stressed and become a super b*@ch. Keep the good work.
Well I need to go and get a shower and get dressed, before I go to the hospital for my appointment. You all have a wonderful day!
Proud of everyone this weekend!
Take care,
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 05:24 PM   #51  
KAR

Afternoon Ladies,
I am one tired and sore lady. I went to my appointment this morning. I talked with a very handsome male nutritionist. He told me to eat 3 meals a day with 60 grams of carbs at each meal. Then have a bedtime snack with 30 grams of carbs. So I also have to make sure that I eat 1500 calories a day. After my appointment, I went to Curves and worked out. Then I came home and eat a bacon chicken wrap for lunch. Then it was off to the ball field for a two games of ball. We played for 3 hours. SO I am just a little tired. Now it is off to the pool for the kids swimming lessons. The only thing that is keeping me driven to move is pizza for dinner. But trust me I won't go over board. Talk to you all later. Hope you are all having a wonderful day!
Take care,
Kerry
Old 07-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #52  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Kerry, please feel a big HUG. I have been very upset since I read your post about the nimrod who was so horribly cruel to you and the people who not only didn't defend you but laughed. SHAME ON THEM!!! How dare they? I really felt your pain...as I read each word, I was sitting on that chair. We have all known humiliation in our lives. My victimization by bullies was during my childhood. I've been fortunate enough to eliminate toxic relationships from my life as an adult. But the pain I felt in my younger years came right back up to the surface as I read your post. I can advise you on how to handle this loser in the future, but even though I can empathize with your pain, I am not you...I am not living your life. So, rather than give you unsolicited advice, I will give you my understanding. I will give you a virtual hug. I will pray that you will be treated with the respect and dignity you deserve from now on. And for those heartless fools, "WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND," and "GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY." SHAME ON THEM!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 11:08 PM   #53  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Kerry, I forgot to tell you how impressed I am with you...the way you are exercising so much and sticking to the diet. YOU GO GIRL!!!

I tried on shorts today. (Don't yell at me Robyn!) I have cellulite on my legs now. I don't remember it being there last summer. All my fat is on my stomach, hips, and butt. I have thin (muscular) arms and legs. For the first time ever (and I weigh 12 pounds less than last summer) I saw cellulite all the way up and down my legs, not just my butt. Is this another sign of turning 40?! SH*T!!! I wish I was rich, cause I swear, I would have lipo, a tummy tuck, and do whatever the heck they do to cellulite. I couldn't possibly exercise my legs more than I do already! I walk and ride the bike. All my aerobics involve my legs for Pete's sake! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! I suppose the only thing to do now is make the most of what youth I have left. I am certainly a kid at heart (I think I'm mentally about 8 years old !) Oh poo!!!

Well, I have 15 more days till we leave for Disneyworld. I just want to lose 5 more pounds before I go, just so I am comfortable in my clothes. In that intense heat, I need to be comfortable.

Okay, I'm gonna hit the sheets.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:20 AM   #54  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hey people!

Kerry, I'm with Summer! (((hugs))) You are a much better person that I am, cause I would have knocked that drunk on his a$$! What a jerk! AND those people who laughed at what he said....Summer said it.... "God don't like UGLY!" They will get theirs in the end.... Girl.... Stay away from those poison folks! You are doing a great job! Don't let their shallow insensitive comments get in your head!

Summer, I'm still waiting to feel like an "adult". Today I was playing with my guys in the pool and felt suddenly "weird"....I have played with EVERYONE my whole life the way I was playing with them... My parents when I was little, my friends when I was younger, my husband while we were dating...and now the boys! It was truly a MOMENT! As time goes on.... nipping and tucking seems like a more reasonable feat. Of course, I'm NEVER going to do THAT....money or not! I'm a whimp. I can't imagine the pain that would be involved! ....HOWEVER...if I got to pick one "procedure" that would be free AND painless... I'd get my hips / thighs "sucked" and while they have the straw in there...they could suck a bunch off of my belly too! GROSS! LOL Not that I've ever thought of this...NOOOO not at all! LOL

Is there any other solution to getting rid of cellulite?

Mouse, my brother in law is also a RedCross volunteer. He is the one that the dispatcher calls to tell where the disasters are. He coordinates stuff. Sorry... I guess it is obvious that I don't know too much about what he does, huh?!

I did not do too well eating today. I had the munchies like crazy. I did drink my water! AND I exercised with weights! Tomorrow I must go to the funeral of a high school friend who died from cancer. Very sad. I'll check in after that is all done!

take care!
(((hugs))) to all!
meeee
Old 07-06-2004, 09:43 AM   #55  
KAR

Morning Ladies,
Oh my GOD! I am so sore this morning. My legs are killing me. I think I overdid the running yesterday playing ball. Oh well, I had fun.
Thanks gals for the hugs and words of encouragement. I think I am just going to ignore that SOB for a while. If he ever asks me why I don't talk to him much anymore, I am going to tell him about what he said to me on Saturday night. Then tell him how it feels to picked on about your weight issue and how hard I have come to be where I am at today. The way I figure it for the other two individuals who I thought were family, I see them in a whole new light. I wouldn't be so charming and nice to them anymore. The one went to TOPS with me last year and knows how I have struggled with my weight. But she has her's coming to her. She lost all her weight and is now pregnant. So she is starting to get big again. Once again thanks for your hugs.
This morning I started to count out my carbs at each meal. I am going to measure out the serving size on everything and stick with it. My one stepds asked last night for a couple chips off my plate last night and I told him that I would get him his own. He asked me why and I told him that I had to measure out all my food portions from now on, so I can keep track of what I am eating better. He was like okay,is this so you can get more strength and keep your current strength. I told him yes and his brother looked at him and said no that is so she can drop the pounds off. His dad, mom and I had just had the discussion earlier in the evening about how the boys have been telling her she needs to stop eating so she can lose some weight because she is too fat. We think the media has a lot to do with their thinking people are too fat and need to workout more. So I am trying very hard to watch what I say around the boys about my weight loss plan.
Well I have to be at the dentist in 30 minutes. I still have to thrown on some clothes, brush my teeth and put my contacts in. Thank God he is just around the corner from my house.
I will talk to you all later.
Take care,
Kerry
Old 07-06-2004, 10:14 AM   #56  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Kerry, you can count on my support. We girls need to stand by each other when the rest of the world seems to have lost their minds and manners.

Robyn, sorry about your friend.

"WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING!" My eighth grade math teacher, Mr. Kennelly used to say this. It is a saying that we should keep in mind right now. When we feel weak, we can remind ourselves of our resolve to get healthy. I don't even want to think about it as "getting thin." In the process of a healthier lifestyle, the results will be thinner and toned bodies. It is the focus on outer beauty that gets us all in trouble. It leads to eating disorders. It makes ignorant people think they have a right to comment on other's so-called imperfections. A bright light needs to be shined on the imperfections of those who are heartless and cruel. Let's focus on their imperfections. SCREW THEM! LET'S GET HEALTHY INSTEAD!!!

Okay, enough of the sermon. I woke to a tiny voice saying, "Mommy, it is 8 o'clock! You need to get up!" After feeding her, I rode my bike for 30 minutes as I inhaled the Connecticut Post. I ate Total, a banana, and skim milk for breakfast. Yogurt with raspberries and blueberries is planned for lunch. This afternoon, we are going to my sister's pool. I will actually swim in it. DH returned to work today. Too soon. He will be lucky if he makes it till noon.

I'm gonna get going. Remember this wise saying,

"WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING!"

Let's get going!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 02:26 PM   #57  
KAR

Hi Gals,
Hope everyone is having a great day! I am in a lot of pain right now. I had to have an old filling taken out and a new one put in. So the dentist gave me two shoots of novacaine and they finally wore off about 1:30. But it is still tender on my right side of my mouth. It was fun trying to eat a bowl of southwestern style chicken vegetable soup and some cottage cheese at lunchtime today. I think I will be eating something soft for dinner tonight too.
Summer I agree with you 100%. We just need to focus on getting healthier and not worry what others have to say. Because there is probably something wrong with the others who are making fun of us. I am refuse to stoop to their level.
So did you have fun swimming today? I have a TOPS meeting tonight. But they also have water aeorbics over at the city pool at the same time. So I guess I will have to decide what I want to do. I know I want to go weigh in tonight and see if I have lost any more pounds since last week. My cute nutritionist told me yesterday not to be one of those people who get on the scales everyday. That I should only get on the scales once a week. That way I don't beat myself up over weight changes from day to day.
Robyn I am so sorry to hear about your high school friend passing away. I will keep you and your friend's family in my thoughts and prayers.
Mousie hope things are still quiet in your neck of the woods. For the last several days we have heard the fire dept. go out more than we have the last month. I think a lot of it is from people setting off fireworks.
Well I must go see what is lurking for me in the laundry room to either wash, dryer or fold. Oh what fun!
Have a wonderful afternoon.
I think I might attempted to ride my bike around the block here in a little bit. Maybe that would loosen up my legs and take my mind off the pain in my mouth.
Take care,
Kerry
Old 07-06-2004, 05:38 PM   #58  
Mommy, wife, teacher

I just wanted to let you all know that I started another thread under the Weight Watchers heading. If you want to visit it, look for Weight Watchers, then Weight Watchers Clubs & Groups, and the actual thread is Weight Watchers for Teachers. I thought it would be a good thread to speak specifically about the plan. We've all become very personal here, and that thread would be much more specific to the Weight Watchers Program. I no longer post on my old thread at Dr. Phil since I switched over to WW.

Kerry, sorry about your teeth. Dental work is a major phobia for me. I would rather go to the GYN than have dental work done. I hope you feel better quickly.

We didn't go to my sister's house after all. She doublebooked me! After we agreed on me visiting her on Tuesday (today) a colleague from her school called her and asked if she could come see her on Tuesday. That would have been all well and good if my schedule was more flexible, but we have playdates for the remainder of the week. She regretted the mistake right away, but it was too late to do anything about it. So, I did some laundry, watched some soap operas, and took DD to the movies to see Dodgeball. What a stupid, but funny, movie! There's enough silly gags in it to keep you laughing throughout the whole movie making it worth the cost of the ticket and saving an otherwise boring day. It was probably better for my sunburned body to have one more day out of the sun. I will have to wear a high SPF tomorrow at our pool playdate.

DH went back to work today. He came home an hour early, collapsed on the couch, and has been asleep since. I think he needed another week, or should have just gone back part time to build up his strength. Supposedly, he is going back for more tomorrow! Gotta love him!

Last edited by Summerlover; 07-06-2004 at 05:41 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 07-06-2004, 10:07 PM   #59  
KAR

Evening Ladies,
I am feeling much better. I was able to eat a baked potato and a small hamburger from Wendy's. It was my treat for having to go to the dentist and going to TOPS tonight. I didn't lose any weight this week. But atleast I didn't gain any weight. So I am happy about that.
Sorry to hear that your sister overbooked you today. Atleast your laundry got done. I did four loads of it today. So I know what it feels like. Now that my dh's kids are with us for two weeks, I will really have the laundry to do. But it is worth it. They are so much fun playing ball with, going to bike rides and walks.
That movie's previews looked good. I will probably just wait until it comes out on DVD and get it at the library or video store. I can't remember the last movie I saw in the theatere was. I think it was Daddy Daycare. SO that was awhile ago.
This afternoon, the twins and I went for a bike ride. We are getting a better at improving our distance. We even were able to go up a some hill today. Then afternoon my meeting, I came home to play a game of ball in the front yard with the kids. Then we took a long walk around the big block. I think we went over about 5 city blocks and then headed back home. SO the kids will sleep good tonight.
Well I need to go get ready for bed. Have a busy day tomorrow. There is a program at the library at 10. So have to make sure the kids are up and ready to go out the door at 9:30. Then they have swimming lessons tomorrow night.
Have a wonderful day tomorrow~!
Take care,
Kerry
Old 07-06-2004, 11:25 PM   #60  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hello my friends!

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. The funeral was very difficult. IF the situation wasn't trying enough, I forgot my tissues AND it was horribly HOT in the church. I really thought that I was going to faint. I actually stopped at the Burger King drive thru and ordered a small REAL Coke. I needed the ice, the sugar AND the caffine. I hate to use soda like a drug, but MAN, I was feeling so sickly! The heat index was well over 100 degrees outside....I'm not too sure that it was a whole lot cooler than that in the church. So, I figured the WW points for an 8 ounce coke....and figured them into my day. I will never EVER go anywhere without a tissue in my purse again...LET alone a funeral! DUHHHHH! What was I thinking or NOT thinking?!

Anyway, sounds like you were all busy, chores or fun stuff! Don't you hate it, Summer, when someone cancels your plans for you?! ARghhh! Don't forget your sunscreen for the rest of your week's plans! Kerry, glad that you maintained your weight for the week! You are doing well! How is your mouth?! I hate dental stuff! I had my 6 month cleaning last week and it took two days before my mouth felt "right" again! ...and they didn't do anything other than poke and prod in there!

It is way too hot for us to ride our bikes during the day time.... and it doesn't cool down enough until it is too dark for the kidlets to ride with me.... BUT, I'm looking forward to fall and getting our bikes out on a regular basis! I'm jealous! LOL

I'm doing my Firm tapes. Today was my Ab day...which is sorta funny cause I have no ABS! LOL BUT I did the tape...and tonight I actually feel it! I did okay with my WW points! AND I drank my water! Besides nearly fainting and drinking a bit of iced coke, I guess the day was a success!

I'm gonna clean house tomorrow AND see if I can get us to the library tomorrow!
(Summer....One for the Money....READ it! LOL)

Take care!
Type to you tomorrow!
meeee