Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #1561  

Jodi: I found a recipe for lightly steamed broccoli drizzled with lemon garlic butter. Nix on the butter for me, but I am thinking of trying to whip together a bit of olive oil with lemon juice and minced garlic instead. I should ask my mom – they eat pretyt much nothing except veggies. I expect to arrive at their house one day to find them grazing in the garden!

Mychoice: I am with you on working out at lunch. Such a pain to get dressed twice! Once I am in workout clothes, I stay that way all night. But better to leave yourself the option! And at least it gets you out of the office for a bit. Makes the afternoon go faster.

Holly: Wow, giving up wine. That’s brave! Will you share the recipe for low-fat banana bread? Sounds yummy, and I have a ton of bananas in the freezer.

Girlie: It’s such a difficult thing, when healthy foods seem to cost so much more than junk. I went to the grocery with my mom over xmas, and she spent $200 on a week’s groceries for just her and my dad! They eat all organic, vegetarian, no renderings, no additives, etc. When I was a kid, we shopped at Aldi and had processed stuff, and she fed our family of four on $40 a week. Amazing. It’s always a struggle for me at the store when the healthy stuff is so expensive, because I’m trying to trim my waistline and my budget at the same time. But in the long run I think it’s worth it to spend extra on good food. The food winds up being so much more satisfying and nourishing. And it is one more way we prioritize ourselves and our needs. PS, good luck at the lunch! I’m sure it will go smashingly. Isn;t it amazing the way color affects our moods? Hope your day is looking brighter than yesterday.

Holly & Girlie: Will you share more on giving up things for Lent? I’m not Catholic, but most of my family is, so I am familiar with Lent, but I don’t know the details. How is giving up soething for Lent different than just giving up things for weight loss? Which do you find easier to do and why? I wonder if that sense of higher purpose makes it easier, and how that realtes to ou methods of weight loss.

I am feeling glad because I didn't feel like doing my treadmill today, but I did it anyway and wound up enjoying it. Yay! On the downside, I had a burger and fries and milkshake for lunch. Phooey. I would have been so much happier with a salad; my lunch made me feel gross. I've been reading Frank O'Hara's "Lunch Poems" a lot lately, and the guy just loved cheeseburgers. So now I am thinking about them all the time. Oh well, must move on. One poor choice does not a failure make.

Now to think of what nice thing I will do for myself today. Hm. Short on ideas.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #1562  

Spores this is only my take on Lent. I borrow from different practices and use what resonates with me.It is symbolic of what Jesus went through in month before Easter. So you give something of comfort up and then be "reborn" at the the end of the Easter season. For me I am feeling more intune with myself . I saw the wine and cheese as an indulgence. The cheese is really almost and addiction or extreme bandaid food when I am down. So for me, when I eat at night i am never hungry it is more of a reward for getting through the day. Through giving it up I am hoping to become even more intune with myself. I think that goes hand in hand with the "whole" aspect of better health and weight loss.Body, mind , spirit.
Good day for me. Nice evening with DH. Soon off to bed and read.
Nighty , night.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #1563  

Banana Bread...

www.allrecipes.com

search for - Lower Fat Banana Bread 1
submitted by Lauren S

YUM!
Old 02-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #1564  

Working on better time management.
I am spending too much time on the ...........computer. SEE, I was trying to journal then, Mom and Dad IM me. They are in TO. There goes another 5 min.
So the new plan is to be off the computer by 9am. I LOVE reading and commenting but I will do that after lunch.
I am not exercising and I need to schedule it. I will start with the WATP 1 mile this morning. I have gotten lazy with it.
Food has been good for a while.
I had a really nice night with DH. We laughed a lot. He didn't think much of pancakes for supper but was good about it.
I have a sitter coming today at 4pm. I am heading to London to putter around and then I pick up Sis at 6 to go to the Kalan concert. Rock on! LOL!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #1565  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Hello everyone. My lunch meeting went well. The manager of this center took me to Carlos O'Kelleys...and well, there are a few healthy things to get, but okay, how stupid does this sound - I found out what she was ordering (Fajita Cheese Crisp - bad) and I ordered something just as bad (Seafood VeraCruz, basically a seafood burrito - it is so good!). I know that if she ordered something healthy, I would have too. Funny huh? And they give you free chips and salsa before & during the meal, and she ordered a side of Queso dip - a cheese dip and when it came she asked me to have some...so I did. Hey, it was an interview.

The meeting went well, but I found out something I didn't like...she told me the insurance plan isn't great, it's rather expensive for both employees and the company in general and they are re-evaluating this year and going to change plans. However, the waiting period before the benefits kick in...get this, she said, "I can't remember if it is 120 days or 190 days before you are eligible." Umm, forget that. I can't wait four to six months for insurance to kick in. DH has none, and Lord knows I can't afford COBRA, and I'm not going without. So just because of that aspect, I will not accept this position. The money is much better, but to me, it's not worth losing my current benefits, seniority and vacation time, plus paying higher premiums every month!

Spores:
Lent is not something I typically take part in though I should. I've been getting lazy in my faith in the past year. Today, Ash Wednesday, we are supposed to fast in some way...no snacking, one larger meal, etc..until midnight. Then, all through Lent season until Easter, each Friday we give up meat. I don't think you have to, but you give up SOMEthing, most people just say meat (hence the time of year the fillet o fish is on sale at Mc Donalds, and other fish dishes are promoted, funny huh?). Many people give something up during the whole Lent season. For me, it's just a matter of not being so gluttonous - because as humans we are in many ways. Just a time of year to think of something/someone else aside from ourselves. Other people have their own interpretations, that's mine. I've felt gluttonous about meat lately, and sugary snacks...but I want to be realistic about what I give up. It can be alcohol, smoking, etc...Last year I did alcohol, but I don't drink much anyway, so it's not going to be a challenge for me. Meat during the week would be a challenge for me, but I think giving up meat in full until Easter would be a stretch for me. It should be a challenge, but something attainable. I want to make sure it's not just becoming a "diet" challenge, but a true giving up of something that I really enjoy or feel gluttonous about. Hopefully, this will get me to eat more fish during the week.

Holly:
Thank you for the banana bread recipe. I like sweet breads, zucchini is my favorite! I really like your computer idea. That is one thing that can become addicting. I'm rarely on the computer at home, but at work...I admit I spend much more time doing non-work related things than I should! At least I still get my work done...but one of these days, I'm going to have a job during which I can't do this!

Hope all is well.

I'm feeling lack of motivation in the mornings. I almost didn't go to the gym this morning. I told myself I must go today and Friday, and I will take off Saturday. Lately, I've been starting to nap right after work. Yesterday, I napped after my lunch interview, I slept from 3p-5p. Monday, I slept from 5p-7p. Then, I can't get to bed on time and feel tired in the mornings. But I am feeling more positive than yesterday. Just trying to take things day to day.

OK, enough of a rant. Have a great day.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:13 PM   #1566  

Holly: Good for you on food. Your night out sounds fun! Yay! I know what you mean about the exercise: gotta schedule, schedule, schedule. And computer time too. It's so easy to get caught up in staring at the screen. Breaks are good.

Girlie: Too bad about the position. Benefits are a big deal. I pay for health insurance now, and it is a huge burden. I know what you mean about letting another person's bad choice justify our own. I tend to do that with my bf. If he wants junk, it feels like it's okay to go along. Bad news for me, since he ALWAYS wants junk. Thanks for the info on Lent. I also think about cutting down on meat. I don't cook meat, but I think I eat too much of it. Funny, I think of fish as meat also, because it is after all an animal. But I guess many people differentiate. Seems like cutting something out for just a limited time would be easier than thinking you can never have it again.

Off to class. Busy this week with papers. I'm looking forward to a break in March!
Old 02-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #1567  
Bacon Girlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spores
Seems like cutting something out for just a limited time would be easier than thinking you can never have it again.

Exactly. I think this is a good way to think about any lifestyle changes in general! Now I just have to believe it and do it!

Girlie

I was thinking today about weight and hinderances. This came to mind: when is the last time I've ever felt sexy?

Unfortunately, it's been a long time. I mean, I know my husband finds me very attractive and I believe it, etc...but I remember the first few years of our relationship how I could give him certain looks and have him wrapped around my finger. I was so confident. Now I realize that it's not he who has changed, it's me...I've stopped being who I used to be as I gained weight. It just doesn't "feel" right to act like that any longer. I know DH would love it. He once asked my why I didn't act like that any longer, and I'm not sure what I said, but I didn't really think about it.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

Girlie
Old 02-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #1568  

hi chicks,
sorry i've been scarce this week, i'm suffering in silence with a monster bladder infection. not hungry so no food worries at the moment, not exercising til i feel better. i just can't do it with the headache and fever. off to the doctor tomorrow for hopefully some relief! he has been off all week. grrrr. other than that all is well. for lent i have given up cheating on myself with food. that's right ladies, my afair with baked goods, treats, and all the little bites i take everyday, to fulfill needs other than hunger is off for the next 40 days!! hopefully i can deal! going to give it my best shot. i said bye-bye last night with a chocolate chip cookie i had stashed for emergencies and a glass of milk (fat tuesday celebration) that was all i could muster with the way i've been feeling. almost sounds pathetic LOL.

girlie- it is very hard to make a good food choice when the person across the table is ordering something wicked. i do this all the time. very rarely can i sit in a restaurant and order a salad or other healthy option when my DH is getting a cheeseburger and fries. forgive forget and move on, try again at the next meal.

spores- thanks for the broccoli idea, good for you hopping on the treadmill when you didn't want to! don't work too hard!

holly- glad DH is in a better mood. sometimes scheduling time is the only way to do things for ourselves. good for you!!
i bet i missed someone and i am sorry, i better go back and lay down, have a great evening girls!!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #1569  

LOL!

Last night was a blast. I dont know if I have ever gone in to the city without having to "do" something. I hate to waste the trip so it is usually busy. I did stop at the Asian Grocer and dropped off dinners for Grandma. Otherwise it was all about me.

Kalan ROCKED!!!!!
What a sweety. I feel kind of maternal about him.LOL! I voted for him for 2 hours every Tues night during the show. He is a mega talented young man.
He is also really cute too. As noticed by an abundance of screaming 12 year olds.
I really think the Mom contingent would have gotten more out of it musically.
The show open with purple backlit fog.Kalan sauntered on with fiddle and bow in hand. He kicked out a rockin solo.
The whole first set was origional tunes(some written by him). There was some good rock reminiscent of Deep Purple, Zeppelin, White Snake, Uriah Heep, a couple of beeeeeauuuuutiful melodic acoustic ballads and some a cappella 3 part harmony.
They covered songs by Neil Young, Bowie and Peter Gabriel.
The encore was a kick *** medley starting with The House of the Rising Sun and included The Devil Came to GA, some Doobies and Born to be Wild.
The band was fantastic. Very talented and tight musicians.
All in all very enjoyable.
It reminded me soooo much of my early days hanging out with basement bands and then travelling the bar and band scene. My sis and I danced our asses off, woooohoooo. The 12 year old girls looked at us like we were nuts. At least we knew the lyrics!! ha
We giggled over how Kalan looks a LOT like my highschool honey. It was uncanny and kinda weird. Total flashback.
I got home at midnight and watched TV a bit. I did have a snack but I ate dinner at 5 I was hungry.
Fun, fun, fun!!!!!
Today is back to normal.
I have one of my babies coming back fulltime on Monday. His Mom is back in school for 20 weeks. I missed this little guy. More $$ too.

ROCK ON chicks, have a groovy day!!! LOL!

http://vikrecordings.com/kalanporter -winner of Canadion Idol 2004

I need another java and I will be back to chat!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #1570  
Bacon Girlie

Holly:
Hee hee...you sound so girlish! I have not heard of Kalan at all! But again I don't watch the American Idol shows. Sounds like you had a great time and I'm so happy for you!

Jodi:
*hugs* hope you feel better. Take it easy and I hope you feel better soon. Good for you on your Lent sacrifice. That's a good one. Perhaps I should try something similar? Perhaps no candy or other unplanned sweets? I guess it's just trying to determine what "unplanned" means! There is a difference between a snack that is planned, or dessert, but there are so many unplanned little bites and spur of the moment snacks that we have!

Today is kinda glum again. I got a denial letter regarding the internal position that I applied for. I was hoping for at least an interview...but apparently, they didn't think I was the least bit qualified and that really sucks...because I'd do a great job!

A friend of mine who lives in Denver has been there in her job for 1.5 years and is planning to move to work for another hospital. She has such a great job that will always be in demand, so she will always be able to get hired somewhere without a problem. My field is so broad and jobs are so in demand that it's so tough to get hired. There's always someone more qualified. It's depressing.

I've been feeling a little sick lately. I've been getting slightly nauseous and my trips to the bathroom haven't been "normal". I woke up in the middle of the night with nausea. My stomach felt horrible and I could feel my heart beating in my ears but I couldn't throw up. I'll spare you the details but I ended up in the bathroom for a while and headed back to bead, trying to calm down and quiet the beating in my ears.

I still managed to get up and get in my hour of cardio. I still felt little twinges in my stomach, and I just exercised through them. I still feel them now. I had a smoothie; maybe I will feel better after lunch.

Girlie
Old 02-10-2005, 02:35 PM   #1571  

Girlie: I know just what you mean about feeling sexy. I used to wear low-cut tops all the time, but in the pst year or so, I feel like I shouldn't war them, like it's inappropriate. And Ithought it had to do with getting older, but I think it really has to do with not feeling sexy because of my weight. Like the idea that I could be sexy at this weight is just wrong and gross. Also, giving things up for a certain time: I think it's a good way to trick ourselves. For instance, my mom quit smoking after having been a smoker for over 30 years. She did it by deciding that she was going to quit until she's 70. After that, she can smoke again. So it doesn't feel like it's forever. Hope you feel better soon...tummy stuff is no fun.

Jodi: sorry to hear about the infection. No fun at all. Hope you are feeling well again soon! Good for you on giving up sweet baked treats. That's my biggest weakness as well.

Holly: Sounds like your night was awesome. Glad you had a good time. We all need a night like that. They are too rare!

So I don't want to eat lunch. This is a recurring thing for me. I get home from class and I'm hungry but not starving, and I just don't want to eat lunch. I don't want to MAKE lunch. So I put it off and do other things. And then around 5:00 when bf comes home, I'm RAVENOUS and want BIG BURRITO and sweets. And I overeat and feel awful. I know skipping meals is a no no no. But I just don't want to go through the trouble. It seems so overwhelming: choose which lean cuisine to eat. open package. read directions. put in microwave. take out and stir. put back in. take out of microwave. find fork and napkin. poke at food. cut bite. lift to mouth. chew chew chew. repeat. ugh. Such a little thing! So that's my struggle this afternoon. Eat luch, fer chrissake.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #1572  
Bacon Girlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spores
lift to mouth. chew chew chew. repeat. ugh. Such a little thing! So that's my struggle this afternoon. Eat luch, fer chrissake.
Heh heh...spores...I know how you feel.
But in mine, I would add, "I probably shouldn't be eating anyway because I'm so fat, even this is low fat and it's a lean cuisine and we need to eat to be healthy..."

Then an hour later I'd gorge.

Can you tell it's not been a great day? My good friend here got an interview for the job that I got turned down for. The thing is, I'm way more qualified. Seriously. She was very surprised and just applied at the last minute just to do it. It's a client relations job and she majored in math and spanish. I majored in communications and marketing. I've been with this company for almost seven years...she's been here not even half that. Plus, I deal with the client...she doesn't and never has - until six months ago, she was a customer service rep in the call center.

I'm very frustrated and bitter. I know it is silly. I'm very happy for her. Sometimes, I feel like there's this huge plot against me and that someone out there really doesn't like me!
Old 02-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #1573  

hello everyone,
feeling better thanks, work stunk, glad tomorrow is friday, i am in a bit of a mood!. no good reason. just cranky.

girlie- sorry to hear about the job stuff, hang in there the perfect position will come along. what field do you work in? good for you getting up and moving this morning when you weren't feeling well!

spores- eat your lunch!! i know it is hard to do sometimes, so hard to stay on a schedule like that. make it the "good" thing you do for yourself for a few days. good luck!

holly- good for you, so glad you had a nice time at the concert!!
Old 02-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #1574  

I am back, I have made a couple meals,had tea ,decorated the gym and made 50 rice balls wrapped in seaweed. I am pooped from being up late but it is a good TV night.Veg mode!

HUGS GIRLIE!! You have been having a tough time in a lot of ways lately it seems.Positive thoughts coming your way!! Have you been to the Doc for your tummy?

Jodster~ sorry you feel crappy too. A big ARG had been said on your behalf.

spores~ I have trouble with lunch time too. I either eat too much mindlessly or I pick here and there and dont really have a meal.I have been really thinking about what tastes good to me and then making a healthy version. This week a couple of times I tossed 1 c pasta with herbs and grated cheese, had celery and was satisfied.

HUGS dear friends!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 07:37 AM   #1575  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Gang!
I did a quick scan of the posts and it looks like you all could use a great big hug! It's ok to voice your problems and such here....come here...this board is here to help us get through the tough times and celebrate the good ones.

I'm happy to report that I showed a loss this week of 1.25 lbs. I wanted the complete 1.75 lb gain from last week off, but I guess my body felt it wanted to hang on to for a little while longer. I'll work hard this week to get that gone and hopefully a little more.

Jodi: I've had that cranky feeling hit me before for no reason. Hang in there! How's the bladder infection?

Girlie: Sorry to hear about the job. That can be tough to take..but you know..there must be something better out there for you...keep looking for that open window. I hope you are feeling better

Holly: How are you doing with not spending so much time at the computer?

Spores: How's the treadmilling?

Ladies, I've got to get to work. Hope to make it back here tomorrow morning.

Work your plan!

Susie
Closed Thread