Old 03-04-2004, 09:37 AM   #16  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Welcome Ruben! Hey, if you're going to give up number 5, can I start it as one of my goals? Sounds like a great stress reliever

Are you doing vegetarian or the whole vegan route? I think sometimes when the whole kit and kaboodle is too overwhelmning (as far as weight loss), that it's better to take small steps, build some good habits first and then worry about the scale.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:55 AM   #17  
Student of the Hoof

Good morning ladies!! I feel so much better after hitting that treadmill again this morning. I jogged a mile with no walk interval, and refused to do any walking slower than 4 mph. I did ok, with a time of 2 miles in 28:02. It appears my goal to do 2 miles in 25 minutes is going to take some serious work this month. I think I got complacent in March when I hit my half mile run pretty early on, then just skated for the rest of the month. That mile jog nearly did me in, but I need to push.

Food was nearly completely OP yesterday, other than the 1/4 of a snickers bar. But I logged it into fitday and stayed within my calories. Oh c'mon geez, it's in my drawer calling my name and I'm PMSing. There's still a quarter of it in there. too. *twitch* I thought, as I was carefully cutting the half in half, that I really should just go throw the damn thing in the garbage. As a matter of fact, I think I'll do that with the rest of it. *comes back and dusts off hands* Ok. Done. Not just the little paper garbage by my desk, the gross nasty garbage in the break room. So there. It can call all it wants from in there. *neener*

Chachee - Mint Julep. Official drink of the Kentucky Derby!! Very southern thang. Debatably originated in Georgia. Or maybe Virginia. Who knows. ANYway.. it's made in different ways, but the supposed OFFICIAL recipe is this:

In a bowl, place several fresh mint sprigs, 1 tsp. of sugar and 1/4 ounce of water. Crush the leaves with a spoon and stir all well. Fill a chilled tumbler with crushed ice, fill with Bourbon, and top with strained mixture. Or place a bit of the mixture into the chilled glass. Add a layer of crushed ice. Continue at least one more time, topping with ice. Pour Bourbon on top. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs.

Very refreshing on a hot dusty day! Makes you not care that it's hot and dusty, more than anything.

How went the weigh in?? We're dying here!

Happy - That your cholesteral is dropping is definitely testimony to a healthier lifestyle. Good for you!!! Definitely a great big NSV! That grill thingamajig sounds... very cool. I must know more. Who makes them? Are they expensive? I like that veggie soup idea. I may very well pick up a couple cans of that to keep here. Thanks for the tip!

Rubens!!! - Welcome back girl! It's wonderful that you have someone who already knows all the ropes of the veggie lifestyle to help you out. I know there are many things to learn about it. I really hope it continues to work well for you! I know in a sense I've kind of resigned myself to the "if I lose I lose, if I don't, keep going" philosophy. Not fully, but it really helps to just know that everything I'm doing is the right thing, and if I'm not dropping on the scale, then other things are probably happening, and the numbers will start going down again eventually. They can't NOT sooner or later. Patience is something I struggle with, and am trying mightily to learn on this journey. Your goals are good ones! Though I might have a hard time with the last one, myself. *ahem*

Still stuck on 184, but I haven't been working out, either. Hopefully pushing the exercise again will get my weight dropping again. It's payday today, which means mondo running around. Hope everyone is having a great day, it's almost Friday!!
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #18  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi Ladies,

Real quickly this morning, and I promise to post more later this afternoon, I was down 4.2 pounds!!!! I am 0.2 pounds away from the first 5 pound bookmark. I am so happy with myself for being so OP last week. I am looking forward to another good week!

Wahoo. It's going to be a good day!!

I'll be baaaack!

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:16 PM   #19  
Student of the Hoof

Yayyyyyyyyy Chachee!!!

That's fantastic!!!! Now.. does eating ANYthing feel as good as that felt? Thank you for your post! I'm fighting cravings today like nobodies bidness, and it helped remind me why I'm doing this.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:36 PM   #20  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi Ladies,

I'm back with a longer post now.

Raven,you are so correct when you said how good it felt and that no food tasted as good as that felt. In all honesty, I don't feel like I "can't" have anything with WW. That is the part that I love the most. If I want something really badly, I just have to sacrifice the points on something else. With all the veggies I normally eat, I feel like I am constantly eating!

Raven: Thanks for the recipe. I think I might have to print that out and have that for a treat one day this summer. Sounds mighty yummy. I wonder how many points are in it... Great job on the candy bar. I love those things! I would have had to do what you did--in the nasty garbage so I wasn't tempted in the afternoon to grab it back. Ick, huh? What we won't do for chocolate. You did real well if you are pms'ing and that's all you had. Kudos to you!!

Happy: Your new bbq sounds wonderful. Where did you get it? Did you have to special order it somewhere? You are doing very well with the cholesterol. My mom's is very high and she has a hard time controling it, even with the help of meds. I've tried to get her to lose weight, but it just doesn't seem to work with her. It's sad, because she's heavier than I have ever seen her, but she won't quit eating the bad stuff.

Ruben: Welcome. I am about 80% veggie also. I do have some meats, mostly chicken and fish. I just have always liked veggies/rice/pasta more than the meat stuff. Your goals sound real good. I liked what you said about feeling better rather than losing. I think a lot of overlook how good it feels to lose weight, and we just concentrate on the scales. Great attitude.

Okay, back to work. Break is over.

Take care everyone and here's to a great week!

Chach
Old 03-05-2004, 08:34 AM   #21  

Good morning!

Hi Chach, good to hear from you. Great job on the loss! WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Reubens! Running the grocery cart into annoying people? I thought I am the only person that does that

Okay, I got up this morning and just couldn't pass up the scales until in the morning. I was shocked to see that I am down 4 pounds I am learning that eating green stuff really works!

Raven, I don't really have planned exercise. Just whatever I feel like doing on that day I guess. Most of the time it's walking outside or doing WATP. I hate exercise and get bored with doing the same thing everyday so I switch between the two. Now that the weather is breaking I plan to throw in some bike riding with Jordan. I don't have a bike but I sure plan to buy one!

It was 72 yesterday and will be 75 today. Having to enjoy between the rain and thunderstorms but right now it's sunny and not suppose to rain again until later this afternoon. The wind is blowing about 40mph so I have to go outside and collect all of my chair cushions from the corn fields!

The pedometer is pretty neat. It would be better if I could remember to put the thing on. I think I will enjoy it more when I can get out and walk and compare how many more steps I take compared to wearing it around the house. I can't remember the number of steps but I walked almost 3 miles the other day just being in here doing laundry, housework, going to the mailbox. I don't know if that's a good amount for around the house or not.

Hello to Happy

Guess I better run and put this thing on since I have alot of running to do today. Talk to you all later.
hippychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:46 AM   #22  
Choose your hard

Morning ladies,

Whoa Hippy and Chachee - fantastic job on the weight loss this week! Congrats!!!!
I'll be back in a bit but till then...
Attached Images
File Type: gif woohoo.gif (9.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-05-2004, 11:31 AM   #23  
Student of the Hoof

Hey chicklets. Well it's been one of those weeks, I guess. I'm really proud to say that I have not let stress or PMS or ex-husbands or broken trucks (neither sleet nor snow nor dark of night...) deter me from staying OP at least foodwise. The exercise has suffered, but not irreparably. I did not get in a treadmill workout this morning. I was too frantic trying to arrange a ride to work and figure out what to do about the truck ... something going funky with that front driver's side wheel. Brake caliper, bearing, SOMEthing. Got home last night to noxious smoke pouring out from the wheelwell. Yay. That screws my whole weekend of riding and working at the stables and doing grocery shopping.

Woke up this morning to a half pound loss to put me at 183.5. That's a good thing. Last time I saw that number was when Richard and I were going out to meet another couple, I jumped on the scale for the first time in a long time and when I saw a number so high over 179, I felt like just dropping dead on the spot. You would have thought that would have been my wake up call to start losing, but no. I just snugged the blinders on a little tighter and worked my merry way up the scale. *sigh* In any case, I know some part of me was sure I'd never see that number again. And there it is. Here I am. Wow.

Another non-weight related victory. Part of my problem in relationships has been communicating my need for companionship. Not sex, per se - but if I'm stressed or needing company, I just can't say anything about it. I expect the guy to just *know* this thing. So I get mad when he doesn't. That happened to me last night. I hung around expecting Richard to just KNOW that I really needed some attention, and when he didn't magically gravitate to my side, I huffed upstairs and watched TV, alone (read sulked), for a couple hours. Richard had no clue what was going on, he thought I'd gone to bed. This morning I was still all ready to be pissy with him, and managed it for a little while, but then realized I was actually more angry with myself than I was with him. I never said a THING to him last night, and if I had, I know for a fact he would have been more than happy to stop whatever he was doing and join me on the couch for some snuggle time. So I told him all that, and apologised for being a snot. He was so sweet. Maybe one of these days I'll get it. But at least I stopped this one before it got stupid. In the past I'd been known to drag something like that out for DAYS before getting into a big fight about it and accusing him of not paying attention to me blah blah blah. It's just not worth it. It really would be SO much easier to just say to him "hey.. babe .. I could really use your company right now, I'm feeling really down." How hard is that?

Yesterday at work the cravings were just killing me. I was *THIS* close to hitting that vending machine when I finally resorted to the last ditch effort of buying a diet coke. It worked. Actually - two of them. It's been months and months since I've had one, but those finally killed off the cravings. Thank God. I was so close to just caving and eating a snickers bar or m&ms or both. I just wanted it to stop.

Chachee - I've heard that saying around a lot - the "No food tastes as good as being thin feels." I guess I actually take it to the next emotional level for me and equate the feeling to feeling quotient. Because I can literally FEEL body changes when I eat something I'm craving. I mean I take a deep breath, I relax, it's like a drug. It isn't the taste that gets me - really. I think you know what I'm saying. It's the emotional feeling that has me hooked. For me to stay OP during stress is huge. I know the taste triggers that rush, but I just want to remember that feeling is very fleeting, very transitory. The feeling of being able to hop on the scale and see those lower numbers, or feel my jeans getting looser and looser, or being able to look in the mirror and see BONES and muscles ... those things can be permanent. CAN be permanent. It's up to me. And that feeling is - as you know - very powerful.

Hippy - WOO! You joined Chachee in the big losers club this week, eh!?! To quote someone else on the site - I never knew I could have so much fun hanging out with such losers! That is fantastic, girl!! You two are gonna leave me in the dust!

Alright.. well... I'm still stressie and moping badly about missing my riding weekend. I really look forward to those - it's like therapy for me. I guess I just have to get through this, though. I hope this Friday is treating you all very well!!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:24 PM   #24  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Good afternoon, Ladies!

I have a candle party tonight. It should be fun, as I love candles. I am going to have a nice chicken salad before I go and just snack on the veggies and fruit if there are any there. I don't know if I will have some dessert or not. Just depends on what is there. I am going to save up some points in case I can't live without something that is there.

Hippy: Sounds like you run around your house a lot. I've been trying to do more than usual--making two trips for the laundry instead of using the basket, etc. It would be interesting to see how much I really walk in a day. Thanks for the nice words on the loss. I'm trying!

Raven: *big hug* How wonderful is it that you notice a trait in you that is less desirable and work to correct it. I am so impressed with you that it didn't get out of proportion. I have to work on that also. I assume Steve will know what I need when I need it and they just aren't wired that way. Big congrats on the loss also. How wonderful you remember when you were that weigh previously. My big goal is under 235. That was the weight I was when I met Steve.

Well, I am signing off for the weekend. I usually don't get on here during the weekend. Have a great couple of days and stay OP!!!

Chach
Old 03-06-2004, 01:57 AM   #25  
Not Giving Up

Height: 5'9"

Hi Everyone.

Wow we have been experiencing internet problems all week. We can't get on, and the computer keeps telling us that we are hiding behind a firewall.

I have a lot of posts to catch up on.

to everyone. 4 Seems to be the magic number this last month, as I was also lucky enough to lose 4 pounds.

Goals for this month,

Water. This is my biggest downfall and I must learn to drink more water.

More exercise also. I have just been trying to move alot at work. It has been working, so I will just move around a little more.

Well I must run and take care of the DD. The horse at lessons tried to buck her off once again yesterday, and I don't know how she stayed on but she did. But she now has a badly sprained ankle. I must tuck her in and sit with her for awhile. Reminds me of when she was little and wanted to spend time with her parents. *sigh*

luckycharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:08 AM   #26  
Choose your hard

Hello you fabulous losers! Great to hear that everyone did well this week. I'm down a half pound myself.

DH and I had a lovely anniversary dinner tonight. I only ate 1/2 of my artichoke appetizer, set the rest aside. I also only ate 1/2 of my lobster entree but did drink both of my mixed drinks - been a long time since I've had any liquour and did eat all my salad. Passed on the bread though it looked good. Hubby and I split a small piece of tirimisu for dessert and I brought the rest of my food home for lunch tomorrow. It was sooooo good. We haven't been out to a restaurant for a few months and tonight's dinner was all that I hoped it would be. He also bought me a dozen roses earlier in the day - 6 reds and 6 gorgeous whites with pink edges. He always gets sentimental on our anniversary.

Catching up on other things...

You asked about the BBQ. Yes it's way cool. And yes, it's expensive - over $1000. When we got our first one 5 years ago I couldn't sleep for 2 nights straight stressed out over spending so much on a stupid grill. But, just like the side by side refrigerator/freezer I didn't want and DH said to get, I grew to love them. We like to grill. ALOT. Weather permitting we grill 5 - 6 days a week from May until October. I like it because it's healthy - pure protein with just some seasonings or marinades - no fats or sauces. Dinner is generally fish (mostly), chicken, pork or beef with grilled veggies and a fruit or veggie salad. I always do much better on the diet in the warm months. Because we use our grill so much, we found we were replacing it every 2 years. The bow tie thing the gas comes out of would get all corroded, the lines would get clogged with spiders (they LOVE propane gas), etc, etc. Hubby found the infrared one at a patio furniture store. We researched them a bit - especially when I saw the price and said NO WAY! But hubby won out. The high heat sears the juices in and everything we've made is wonderful. It does take a bit to learn how to cook on it but after 3 or 4 tries, you've got it down pat. The longest it takes to cook anything is about 25 minutes for chicken, so it's really fast to put a meal together. We used to go through 3 tanks of gas with our conventional grills, now we go through about a tank and 1/2 over the season. Not bad at all considering how much we use it and how long our grilling season is. I've also done whole turkeys at Thanksgiving but usually do just the breast in the summer. Over time it really does come out to less than a conventional grill would be. We would have kept the one we had but DH broke a part of it trying to take the heating element in for service and we called the place 3 separate times and couldn't get anyone out to fix it. With the new grill, all parts snap out for service and cleaning. The 2 manufacturers of infra red grills are TEK - which is what we had and Solaire which is what we just bought. You could probably look them up on the Internet to find a dealer if you were interested. The don't sell them at places like Sears, more like places that sell patio furniture. They are alot of money tho, no disputing that. We used to spend/waste lots of money on piddly things and over the years have had to re-adjust our spending way, way down. We don't spend that much any more but when we decide on something, we discuss it first and if it's something we really will make use of, we save for it and get it. No more credit cards since the year 2000.

Chachee, I hear you on the mom thing. My mom has diverticulitis? Not sure of the spelling but it's the disease where the pockets of the intestines get inflamed and it's horribly painful. As a result she can't have anything with seeds, hulls or little pieces that can get stuck in these pockets. I really felt bad for her when I went shopping with her and saw how little she could eat. No bananas (little seeds in the center), if she wants a tomato she has to cut all the seeds out (what's left?), she can only eat the bottom of brocolli, not the crown part. She had to give up her beloved popcorn and of course things like strawberries, raspberries, multigrain bread or any bread with seeds is out of the question. Since her foods are so limited she made up for it with a voracious sweet tooth. She's always complaining about needing to lose weight yet any suggestions I make she has a reason why she can't won't doesn't wanna... It's so frustrating as she too is on medication for blood pressure which causes it's own problems and they've threatened to put her on cholesterol medicine too which she can't afford and doesn't need the side effects. The older she gets, the more stubborn she becomes. I love her to bits but I bite my tongue alot and kick pillows after I've talked to her.

And Raven, I've been with my husband for 32 years - married for 27 which is hard to believe since I only feel like I'm 27 myself. Anyway, if there is one thing I have learned through the loving and the wars, you have to let them know what you need and how you feel. They just don't think like we do. I know, I know... when they are sick or tired or sad or in trouble, we are right there doing the exact thing they need. Why isn't it just as automatic to them? I have learned you can bang your head against the wall - I have the dents to prove it, or you can stew about it and fight or just accept that you have to point things out to them and ask for what you need. Sure, it's hard to do but like you said Richard's a level headed guy and things were better after you talked it out. I've found too that when we talk, I often get a different perpective from his point of view which does help. I can't say I always AGREE with the way they think, but it helps knowing how they think when it comes to getting along with each other.

Hippy I am jealous of your 70 degree temps. Hope you get some good ones in and take a few sniffs of warm, fresh air for me, will you?

Whoa, I've been a bag of wind, huh? Sorry - I wanted to post earlier but couldn't until now. I will take my sorry self to bed now, hoping to get alot of the "to do" list done this weekend. Raven, sorry to hear about your truck troubles - hope it's not too expensive a repair - just what you need, huh? I know the worst part is not being able to get to the stables - don't let it be a downer weekend though, ok?

Hey to you too Lucky, saw you are on now after I posted.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:57 AM   #27  

Sniffle, sniffle, cough, cough. I can't believe it! Sick again. Head cold with burning in my chest. I felt fine yesterday morning and by the afternoon I felt lousy. I was telling my SIL about it and she brought me some meds. I know this sounds crazy but her doctor practices alternative meds also. He is from Japan. Anyway, he had gave her some sort of alternatine medicine for bronchitis and I am amazed. I took 1 pill before I went to bed last night and my chest doesn't hurt this morning at all. If it wasn't for this runny nose I would feel pretty darn good! I'm glad she had them, saved me from suffering all weekend and a trip to the doctors office and meds of my own.

What a great bunch of women we are!!!! From what I read we all have had a loss. I haven't been focusing on the pounds lost as much as healthier eating. If I focus too much on the scale and don't see a loss I get discouraged. Just drinking my water, eating right, taking as many steps as I can to create intentional exercise and hopefully the rest will fall into place.

Chach, sometimes I run around here like a mad woman! I just look for things to do so I'm up doing something instead of sitting on my butt. I have my days of loving to curl up with a blanket and a good book but I try not to do that so often anymore. I kind of figure sitting too much helped me develope this round butt so I try to stay off of it

Happy, sounds like your anniversary dinner was wonderful! You made such good choices and able to pass up the bread?! You're good girl

Lucky, so glad to hear you too had a loss! Did it get you motivated? Hope your puter problems are solved so you can chat with us more often.

Raven, hope you are feeling much better. I'm not a relationship expert but I can say if I have learned anything in my married life it's that men can't read our minds. I use to think Gary should just know my every want and need and I would get so pissed off when he didn't meet my needs. I'd get mad, he'd get mad, it would drag on for days creating alot of stress and tension. Thankfully I grew up some and stopped being such a baby and learned that if I don't speak up I don't get what I need. It was hard at first but now life is so much easier. I know you already know all of this, I guess I'm just blowing I just find it great that you can see these things in yourself and are willing to fix them.

Better go, going to be a fairly descent day here weather wise. I need to get some fresh air and enjoy the day!
hippychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:59 AM   #28  
Student of the Hoof

Good morning chicks...

Well, it's Saturday. *taps fingers* *yawn* I'm bored.

I ate too much sodium yesterday, and the scale is being mean to me this morning because of it. Bleh. Ohwell. This too shall pass. The plan for today is to walk the dogs before they trash the garage (mostly Artemis the foster pup), do my weights workout, then a treadmill workout. Probably not too intense on the treadmill because I plan on pushing the weights a bit. I need to go to Petco and get dog food and chew toys (Richard will let me use his car for that, but not to go to the stables because he doesn't want dog hair (Artemis goes with us) or horse stench in his car. Men. Non-horse people. *huff*

Then .. I dunno. Maybe take big dog for a walk around the neighborhood while my son rollerblades along with us. Clean house, do laundry, try that greek chicken recipe... meander... yay. I miss my HORSE!!!!!

Lucky - How did she sprain her ankle? Twisted in the stirrup? I'm glad she stayed on, but sometimes learning to do a fast safe dismount can be a valuable tool. That's one of the things Rosa works us on. It's scary, but in a way it's kind of fun. I know sometimes I'm just so determined that horse isn't gonna get me off I put myself in more peril than if I'd just do a flying dismount. One of these days I'll get better at landing on my FEET when I do it. *rubs butt* Have you called your provider on the firewall issue? They should be able to work you through any settings that are incorrect. Another 4 pound loser!! God!! You LOSERS!!!! *kicks her scale* Mine must be broken. That's it. !!! That is fantastic, girl!!!

Chachee - A candle party.. that sounds like fun!! Something I love that doesn't have calories! How novel... I'd enjoy something like that. Thank you for the pats about the situation with Richard. Sometimes it's so hard to step outside myself and realize I'm just being a brat, you know? Too much baggage. Did you manage to stay OP through the party? Did you buy some really lovely candles? C'mon.... fess up!!

Happy - Relationships are twisted, I'm twisted, it makes for an interesting mix. After being married for 11 years to a guy that twisted things even more, plus all the crap I was carrying around before I even got into real adult relationships - makes it difficult sometimes to know for me if I'm being stupid or not. For years the emotional immaturity just went on its merry way. It is only really recently that I'm trying to grow up, if you will, in that regard. I suppose part of it is finding a guy who I really do respect, and really do want to treat well, as opposed to being with a guy more because I could push him around (the ex). It changes things considerably. But it's still taken me 9 years to get to this point with Richard, so... dang I mature slowly! By the time I'm about 100 I might be grown up, yathink? Holy CRAP that's a pricey grill!! I mean don't get me wrong, it sounds like it's well worth it. I think I'm just gonna have to stick to the cheap kind till I'm independently wealthy, though. Or at least till I've dug myself out of the financial black hole I seem to have been sucked into.

Ok, well.. off to my exciting day. It's weird, I've been so horsified - I can't imagine what I did before I had them. Hope everyone has a great Saturday!
Old 03-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #29  
Student of the Hoof

Hippy! We cross posted again. We need to stop meeting this way! Hey, what was it that she gave you? I'm always one to investigate something new. I found that goldenseal is a WONDERFUL plant med to help with upper respiritory stuff. You know, I just wish someone would give us a manual BEFORE we get into relationships. All the right things - you know... the right reasons to get involved to begin with, what to do when things go wrong... all that stuff. *sigh* Sort of like with child rearing. I need a manual on that, too.

Oh and Happy - I forgot to mention... that anniversary sounded just so lovely. Made me almost teary eyed. I'm so glad you had a great night!!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:51 AM   #30  
Choose your hard

Good morning ladies,
At least it will be when you read this. I am all ready for a new week and a new committment. Not only did I make a menu, but I actually have every single meal and snack planned for the week along with an exercise routine and I'm STICKING to it or I will have to pay you each $100 at the end of the week - how's that for motivation! We were running a little low on funds until payday so I had to be extra careful with the grocery shopping. I'm even using up some of the things in the freezer for a change.

I am also going back to the weekly focus because ... I need the discipline and the reminder. The 2 items I drew from the basket this week (if you decide to play along) are:
1) Eat on plan and portion control (a good one for me this week)
2) Organize or declutter - that's also a good one because when things lay around I get frustrated and it's an ugly cycle of avoidance, guilt, frustration and not feeling all that great.

Raven, hope you found something to keep you busy and out of boredom land on the weekend. I know it's frustrating when you work all week and look forward to your horsie time and then bam the truck goes dead. Maybe it's just a sign (of frustration) to do some things around the house that otherwise would not have gotten done. Or some quality time with Richard and the kids. I'm not sure I agree that you need a child rearing manual. Sounds like you're a pretty good mom to me. Reading the journals, you can easily see how so many people are messed up as adults because of bad parenting. And the number one sin is that they don't listen to their kids and treat them as people who need to be molded of course but also have thoughts of their own. And I see you having very good communication with your kids and respecting them for the people that they are. In my opinion, that's one of the most important things you can do. So ok, maybe the man/woman relationships could use some work, but geez, who among us is an expert on that? Every time you think you have them figured out, they go and change the rules again.

Chachee, how was the candle party? I cringe when I get invited to those because the hostess always smiles real big when she sees me and dollar signs flash in her eyes. I have a hard time controlling myself at those things but with all the candles I have already, I'm getting better at self control. We always have a candlelight dinner on Christmas Eve and New Year's eve and I just love it. It's so intimate - it's the one time I refuse to let DH turn on the TV while we're eating unless we're watching the cheezy yule log burning as carols play in the background. Good for you for planning on eating before you got to the party and had to face all the tempting off plan munchies.

Hippy, sorry to hear you are sick - the downside of this crazy weather shooting up and down this time of year. I got trashed the last time I spoke up in favor of alternative medicines (not on this thread) but I am leaning more in favor of that route over western medicine and all it's side effects. My podiatrist shares an office with an Asian alternative medicine doctor and as I was sitting in the waiting room I was amazed at how his patients all seemed so happy and cheerful - whatever this doctor had, they sure were happy with the service and all talked about how much better they felt since they were seeing him. Hope you are feeling much better now.

Ok Lucky, I'm looking at my big bottle of water here. How about you take a few slugs and we'll toast each other?

Oh man, I can't believe they have a new smilie for McD's here. But it does look like the smilie's sticking it's tongue out so that's ok I guess.

Let's all have a great week!