Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 07:22 PM   #16  

Default Things are looking up

I saw a Dr in the clinic in my town who specializes in sports medicine, and he referred me to a larger clinic in Wisconsin.
I had my first appointment today, and they xrayed the hip, and I have to go back the 19th of Feb. for an MRI, then the 23rd of Feb. for an aspiration of fluids of the hip, (here's hoping they can get fluids. They couldn't get any a year ago.) and an injection of steroids. I regret not allowing the steroid injection a year ago, but they took me by surprise and it scared me. Now, I can't imagine it hurting any worse than it does right now.
So, hopefully I will get some pain relief in a couple of weeks.
They mentioned my using a CANE!!! I truly don't want to, but he said it would take 2/3 of the weight off that hip when I walk. I also got a lecture about losing weight.

More good news! They finally came and put my water heater in this afternoon. I'm waiting for it to get hot so I can start washing dishes and clean up my kitchen etc. Doesn't seem like something so simple could mean so much, but it does.
I've been living in the 1800's this week!

You gals should see the snow here. It is so beautiful! And it is snowing again as we sit here. I wish I was more limber. I'd love to go sledding. Or have a snowball fight.
Did any of you ever build forts of snow then stand behind them and pitch snowballs at each other? Sometimes the snowballs wouldn't smash upon impact with the ground and we'd store them to throw back at the other side.

My age is telling on me, ... I'm going back to my second childhood.

I had mild chicken wings and ranch dip for lunch and pizza for supper. Good though!

Saturday I get a grandson and a granddaughter, from 2 different families, to take shopping for their Birthday presents, then I'm going to see if there is a kids movie playing and take them to that. If not, then I'll let them pick out a couple of movies and I'll buy them for them to watch here Sat. night. They are going to stay over night. I have quite a few kids books that I keep here too, including a whole collection of hard cover Disney books, but I think I'll pick up a couple more.

I changed the filter on my furnace today, and even though it had been a while, I couldn't believe there was that much yuk in the air in my house! Icky doo! I need to keep closer watch on that. I have the filters that you are suppose to be able to wash and re-use, but, no way am I going to try to wash that thing!

Sheila, thanks for getting in touch with me. I thought everyone had just faded out, so I quit coming here.

You had mentioned Dad was going to watch the superbowl. What was his reaction to the half time show and Janet Jacksons nipplegate? Did he yell, "INSTANT REPLAY!!"?

Charlotte, I hope you feel better soon. Is your Remicade due soon?

Sunny, Guido is a hoot! Thanks for sharing.

Hello to everyone else out there.

I better get moving here and answer other messages.
Everybody have a great evening!
Old 02-05-2004, 08:29 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm so glad that you found a place where they can (hopefully) help with your hip problem, Willow. If the doc said a cane might help, I think you should do it. Don't be stubborn like my Dad!! Glad you got your hot water heater fixed--sounds like it was a big pain in the rear.

We hardly ever had snow when I was growing up, and when we did, it wasn't much, although an inch usually shut the city down. When I lived in Colorado, we could ski in the neighborhood parks and down the street. My DH did that in Boise once, too. I'm not much of a snow person, and prefer to be inside sipping hot chocolate (laced with peppermint schnapps) watching the snow fall.

Oh, I envy you getting to have your grandkids spend the day and night. What fun! I'm hoping these are two that get along together. Are they close in age?

Speaking of furnace filters, we try to change ours monthly, but always forget. We have three cats and two dogs and they throw off a lot of hair, dander and other assorted stuff that goes floating around the house. I hate looking at a beam of sunlight in my house because then I can see all that junk floating through the air. Yuck!

Dad didn't notice the nipple at all--I think he was taking a power nap at the time. He sure a lot of it when they replayed it over and over and over and over.

Hey, I won $10 in the lottery today. My Dad and I buy three tickets apiece each week. I put a little "S" in the corner of my three and then he takes them in to be checked. This time he didn't separate the "S" tickets from his tickets, but in the past he must have talked to the woman at the counter about what the "S" means because she pointed out to him that he only won $1, and I won $10. She asked if he really was going to tell me that I'd won $10, or if he was going to keep it. Dad said he was glad she pointed that out to him because he had forgotten to check whose tickets were whose.

Well, tomorrow is my weigh-in. I've been doing really well with eating, water and exercise, but I think I still haven't lost what I gained over the holidays and when my daughter was here. Hopefully next week I'll enter "virgin" pound territory. We're also having lunch with a friend who is coming up from Oregon to the flower show here. I haven't seen her since my birthday party last April so that will be fun.

It's ER night tonight--have a good one!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:11 PM   #18  

Hi Everyone,

I Just Spent A Half Hour On A Message To All Of You And Then Did Something Stupid And Lost The Whole Thing. I Am So Frustrated I Am Going To Bed. Don't Give Up On Me, Please I'll Be Back Tomorrow Night.

Bluet
Old 02-06-2004, 09:41 AM   #19  

Hi everybody...feeling a little better. Yes, Willow...the 11th (Wednesday) is my Remicade day. I think it ran out early again. That may be why I had a flare up. Or the flare up caused the Remicade to wear off early.
Don't think we're going to fade away! We're here to stay! Glad you're getting help with your hip.
I'm going to post more later, when I feel better, ladies. I'll be back.
Have very important prayer request. Of course, all are important....my SIL is officially returning from Iraq on the 10th (Tuesday). It is very dangerous for them to fly out of there. Please remember him in prayer especially Monday & Tuesday. I imagine Monday is the day he'll be loading on the helicopter, which is what I worry about the most.
My daughter & grands are so excited! Only 3 ended up being on the list to come back early. The others in his unit will be returning within a month, though. He had to go ahead of them a year ago to Iraq to prepare for them...that's why he's coming back early...same reason.
His dad gets to come home for Valentine's Day, because he's in Kentucky in training. After that he goes straight to Iraq. Remember ALL the military & families.

I'll try to post more later. Take care.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:00 PM   #20  

Hi Everyone,

I was trying to put a sad icon, in the message and did it wrong and deleted everything I had typed last night. I was too tired and, hmmm you know, to start over again.

Angel, sorry you are so ill. You must be in a lot of pain. I am so sorry and wish there was something we could do to ease the pain. I'll pray for you, that you are given strength to bear with grace this tribulation. Praying too for your SIL in his travels. What a relief to have him finally home soon. I heard on the news this morning, that there was flooding in the southern states, especially Alabama. I hope you are not enduring that too.

Sheila, we got 10 inches of snow last night and it is suppose to stop around noon today. DH had a lot of snow to push out the drive way and the yard this morning so we could get out. The plows had gone through and since all the schools were closed, there was less traffic, the drive to work was not too bad. Our office is at the bottom of a short but steep hill and coming down the hill this morning was a little tricky though. You weren't trully serious about going out to the garden to pull weeds were you? I won't be able to do that until late April or early May. I wanted to try a go at making slip covers for my living room love seat and couch this weekend. That is, if I don't get some grandchildren along the way. Then a sewing project would be a little difficult.

Willow, I am so sorry you had to deal with the water issue, especially when your hip is giving you grief. Did your excercise equipment or your furniture suffer damage from the water heater problem? I remember you had spent a good deal of time and effort revamping your basement a little while ago. I am so glad you found someone to help with the pain in your hip. What city do you have to go to in Wisconsin to see this doctor? Have you seen the movie Seabiscut yet, we watched it last weekend. What a marvelous story. I highly recommend seeing the movie. A couple of parts are too sad for me, but the rest of the story is very beautiful. I hope you have a good time with your grandkids and thank you for not leaving our forum. I would miss your posts very much.

SunnyD, Your cats are too cute. My daughter has a cat too, and when she calls me on the phone he gets so jealous and pesters her until finally she says she has to hang up. It is almost like having children. I always get a charge out of his antics. I would imagine you are getting this storm system today that we got last night. It is difficult to know where to go with the snow already. Take care and stay warm.

Puss, where are you. We need some more Mother stories and some more stories about the goings on in London and England. Hope you and your family are well and no one has been attacked by the MYDOOM computer virus.

Hi Jackuie, wishing you the best with your Mom and hope all is going well with you.

Take care everyone, hope your day is a good one.

Bluet
Old 02-06-2004, 03:06 PM   #21  

Hi all!

Just a short note... again.....to let everyone know I haven't disappeared !!!!

Just when I got back in the grove..computer problems!!
DH was installing a card reader for the digital camera memory stick and somehow things really got in a mess...computer doesn't even recognize the server ( DH says he was following the instructions to the letter) !!
DS # 1 has been trying to fix it remotely with little success so we will probably have to take it to a computer shop to get it fixed...can't wait until DS next visit for him to really work on it.

I am at DS #2's using their computer to let you know I will be back ASAP. You don't realize the impact the computer has on your life until you aren't able to use it....talk about being cut off !!

Glad everyone is still here and doing well.

Will be in touch as soon as I can.

Jacquie
Old 02-06-2004, 04:18 PM   #22  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Angry It's Friday...

Good Afternoon Ladies... so good to see everyone

I have had a very successful exercise week this week - did my elliptical 2x this week completing 4.5 miles each time & did Curves 3x this week. So nice knowing I got in 5 days of exercise, but I am so very tired physically. I am really feeling it today.

So glad that everyone is enjoying my pictures -- I have more for you guys that I just took on Feb 4th. Brothers, Guido & Zeppe, are giving one another and evening bath. Aren't they so adorable ~ trying to "out-do" one another in bathing. A love-fest They will be 2 years old this June 4th.

I have a birthday coming up this Sunday I will be 47 years young And so today I had to go get my Driver's License renewed and tags... it snuck up on me, didn't realize I was due to get my Driver's Lic. done till my hubby asked me. Boy did the cost go up! I had to pay $65.00 for both! $24.00 just to renew my DL. I think I only paid $16.00 the last time... whew!

BLUET, So glad you enjoy the pictures and aren't annoyed by them

Shhhh , they don't know they are cats

Guess what... that storm didn't hit as hard as they predicted. Yeah! I am so glad for that. It just rained a bit, but all the driveways and parking lots are wearing jackets of ice! Gotta walk very carefully!

You too! Stay warm & healthy

SHEILA, Yeah... you won $10.00! Good for you! How did you do with your weigh-in today?? I hope it was all good! Glad you enjoyed the pic of Joe & Guido

Hi JACQUIE, So good to hear from you! I am so thankful for the Norton's Professional Anti-Virus 2003 I have! I got it 'on line' and paid $60.00 last year and this year renewed it for $21.00. It is very good! I have live updates all the time and can see the chart of all the virus' it finds, the date it was found & the date it was isolated. I hear of everyone having problems all the time in the forum and so far all is good with me. I am very grateful for this program. I hope yours is up to par soon!

Quote:
Have very important prayer request. Of course, all are important....my SIL is officially returning from Iraq on the 10th (Tuesday). It is very dangerous for them to fly out of there. Please remember him in prayer especially Monday & Tuesday. I imagine Monday is the day he'll be loading on the helicopter, which is what I worry about the most.
ANGEL, You have my prayers! I hope you feel better real soon! I miss seeing you on the boards.

WILLOW, I am so sorry that the Dr. is talking cane. I bet that it is so hard to hear, but till you can do something, you just may have to cave & use it to save your hip... no I am so sorry that you have to go through so much. And don't ever apologize for thinking back --- it's fun to go with you on your memory trips The snow can be so beautiful.

Hi PUSS, I sure do hope you are doing okay... it's been a long time since you last posted! You too KATEY! Thinking of you both!

God Bless you all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boys (3).JPG (48.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Boys (4).JPG (39.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Boys (5).JPG (43.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-06-2004, 10:04 PM   #23  

Default Money in, ... Money out, ...

My tax returns came in, and I turned right around and paid them out in bills. Well, not ALL of it, but, a lot.
I cleaned out my sock drawer today, and I threw away a lot of old socks, but I still have over 30 pairs of socks. What the blue blazes am I going to do with 30-some pairs of socks?? I'll never need to buy any more, that's for sure. Got about 15 pairs of footsies too, and a gallon-size plastic baggie full of nylons, from footsie nylons to knee high to thigh high, and a couple pairs of panty hose.

I'm washing clothes today too, but taking my time. I need to install an elevator, I think.
I got all my dishes washed up and the kitchen back in order too.

I hired someone to clear my sidewalks and driveway today. I went out and cleaned off my car, and I was hurting already.
This guy was an old duffer, ... well, maybe in my age bracket, but he has a snowblower and he did a really good job. I think he's an itinerant or something. He lives at a hotel that usually has some shady looking characters around there.

I started to make about 3 different things for supper, but none of them tasted good so I threw them away, and I ended up having hot oat bran cereal with cinnamon and soy milk and 2 slices of toast with natural peanut butter, with my tea, of course.

Sheila, congratulations on the lottery winnings!
Yes, the two grandkids I'll have tomorrow are best buds! They are both 6 years old. The little girl is the one who has problems with her speech etc.
I hope your weigh in went well.
I know I must have had a gain this week, but I didn't even weigh yesterday. After that talking to yesterday, I BETTER pay attention to business!

Bonnie, that is so darned frustrating to spend all that time on a post, then lose it.
The water on the basement floor did get into the exercise room but I have to get rid of that carpeting anyway because it's really yukky.
It's all dried already.(the carpet)
I sure hope this Dr can do something too, because life really is worthless if you can't move like you want to and hurt all the time.
His name is DR. Binegar and he's at Gundersen-Lutheran in LaCrosse. He's in physical medicine.
I haven't seen seabiscuit but I've heard a lot about it. I'll have to see it one of these days.

Charlotte, I just feel so bad for you that you have this awful illness. I hope you feel better soon.
I absolutely will say prayers for your son-in-law's safe return. I so appreciate these military men and women and what they do for us. I wish they were all safely home with their loved ones.
Get as much rest as you can and don't move any more than you have to so you can maybe lessen the pain.

Jacquie, it's good to see you again too!
I know what you mean about the PC being missed so badly when it's not working. Funny how quickly we get to depend on them, isn't it.
Glad you're doing well. Take care. See you when you get the @*%7482046 thing fixed!

Sunny, ... WOW!! you're really going to town with the exercise! Good job!
Those cats of yours are a hoot!
Happy Birthday on Sunday in case I don't see you on here again before then.
I renewed my nursing license today after I vowed I wasn't going to keep them anymore. I just feel I should, ..... just in case I need a job some day.
Yeah, I wasn't real pleased to hear the word "cane!" but, I suppose if I have to, I have to. I'd rather use crutches than a cane. Makes me feel like an old invalid. Crutches imply an injury, not old and feeble.

Puss and Kate, I hope you're well, as well as everyone else who hasn't been here for a while.

I'll check in later.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:35 PM   #24  

Hi, all--

I'm betting that Fatpuss is having more computer problems. Doesn't someone have her e-mail address? Or last time did someone send a PM?

I'm so thankful your SIL is getting to come home, Charlotte. He's definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I bet everyone is so excited they can hardly stand it! I'm glad you have your treatment soon, although I know that's hard on you, too. But it must feel great once the Remicade kicks in and you get some relief.

Bonnie, yes, I was serious about pulling weeds. It was the perfect day for it. Hard to imagine when it's cold and snowy where you are. Oh, you are so crafty making slipcovers--I'm envious! Wish I had some sewing talent--I used it all up in high school making my own clothes. Never was that good, but I had a bigger wardrobe than I would have had if I had bought all my clothes. Did you sew all your kids' clothes and Halloween costumes? My step-daughter's mother sews beautifully and sewed great Halloween costumes. She sewed a clown costume that her daughter wore when she was four, then my son wore, then my daughter wore. That thing lasted over a decade because there is seven years between my daughter and her sister.

Jacquie, so good to hear from you! That's too bad about the computer problems. I know what you mean about feeling cut off. We had a hard drive crash a couple of years ago, and I felt at loose ends sometimes because I would spend an hour or more on bulletin boards. My DH telecommutes so when something happens to our connection, he's out of work for the duration. Luckily, that doesn't happen too often.

Sunny, what great photos! Your cats look so cute grooming each other like that. Is it really a nightly ritual? Cats are so funny. $65 to renew your tags and your driver's license? Sounds like a deal to me. Our last tag renewal was $119 for one year. I think when I got my driver's license after we moved here, I paid $25. Living in Oregon made us spoiled in that respect because tags are $20 for two years. I noticed the Oregon voters didn't vote for an increase in the fees either. Hey, happy birthday in advance! What special thing are you going to do for your birthday?

Willow, have to agree that life definitely isn't as good when you can't move and when you hurt. I'm having a bit of trouble dealing with that so I'm going to see a mental health professional next week. So, if you can do something to get better, go for it no matter what! Hey, what if you get a cheap brace for your foot so it looks like you have an injury? For the longest time I saved a foot brace that I wore when I had a stress fracture, and I said I was going to wear it when I took a Southwest Air flight. You can board first if you have a disability or small kids. I didn't have any small kids to borrow, but I was ready to use that old foot brace to my advantage! One winter when I lived in Boise, a neighbor got a blower attachment to his riding lawnmower and he cleared off the snow from our entire cul-de-sac and across the street. That only lasted one winter, but I was thrilled. I got him a pie at Marie Callendar's (do they have those where you live?) and a card.

My DH and I had lunch with a friend of mine from Oregon who had taken the train up to go to the garden show here and visit with her daughter. She unexpectedly brought her daughter with her to lunch. I hadn't seen her daughter for a good 20 years. Somehow during that time she became 36 years old! I had just been thinking about her today, too, because my aerobics instructor said to move our arms like we were pulling taffy. About 29 years ago, I was babysitting my friend's daughter and son and we made taffy and pulled it--the only time I've ever done that. Then I unexpectedly see the kid I pulled taffy with after thinking about that time--kinda cool actually.

Rainy weekend forecasted here. My DH leaves on Sunday for a week in Boise. He's been putting it off, but his boss really wanted him to come. The only good thing is that he'll stay with our son and get to see our granddaughter. Lucky him!
Old 02-07-2004, 01:01 PM   #25  

Off to a good start this morning with a 45 minute walk with the dogs. We came across a beautiful camellia bush in full bloom, and some crocuses that are up, but not quite open. I'm going to try to get a photo of the camellia and post it so you can think about spring coming soon!

Does anyone like fish, by the way? I found a great recipe for fish that even my fish-hating DH likes.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:04 PM   #26  

Default Yesssss!

I LOVE fish! Post it! Post it!
Old 02-07-2004, 01:07 PM   #27  

Smile Me too!

Thanks for the birthday wishes ladies

Yes! I too love fish and so does my hubby!
Post it please
Old 02-07-2004, 01:55 PM   #28  

Default FatPuss

I sent a message to Puss, but haven't heard anything from her yet.
Remember before when her PC was down, she sent a message from work telling what the problem was. Gosh, I hope all is well with her.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:14 PM   #29  

Okay, here's the fish recipe. I don't know the calories or anything, but it's 4 pts. for Weight Watchers for a 4 oz. filet and 5 points for a 6 oz. filet.

Parmesan Fish

4 (4 oz.) fish filets (I think I used sole, the poster used cod)
1 Tbl. lemon juice (sprinkled over fish before broiling)
1/4 C. non-fat mayonnaise (I used low-fat)
3 Tbl. Parmesan cheese
1 Tbl. thinly sliced green onion
1 Tbl. light margarine, softened
1/8 tsp. hot sauce, or more to taste

Mix mayo, cheese, onion, margarine and hot sauce together. Place fish in broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle fish with lemon juice. Broil 5.5 inches from heat for 5-6 min. or until almost done. Put mayo mix on top of each filet and broil until lightly browned.

Enjoy!
Old 02-07-2004, 06:21 PM   #30  

Angry

Thanks SHEILA, I'm going to try it out next week... sounds really delish!

We are getting hit with a snow storm off Lake Erie today - has been snowing like crazy all day! Bet we have close to 3" already and not one weather-person predicted it.

Have a nice evening.
Night...
Closed Thread