Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 07:02 PM   #91  
loves kleenex box art

he is in a cave in Tennesse.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:34 AM   #92  

Location: the Loralai district in Pakistan's Baluchistan Province

Kiwi, that's awful about the building. Does anyone know what Masons do? I hear that they have lots of secrets and rituals, sort of like the lodge Fred and Barney belonged to back in the day.

I'm reading Angels and Demons which is the prequel to The DaVinci Code which DD is reading now. She says they are great. I will look for Wabby's books next. You are a reliable source for reading material.

I have joined Ad-free, but want to know why we are still grouped with MIsc clubs and don't have our own heading. I feel diminished by those Jaded Ladies who just moved right in next door.

My people are all at Basketball and church...dd sings....I have taken the AM off...terrible mother...but I needed a break. I am in the winter doldrums.

I forget what everyone else wrote and if I hit my back button to find out...I'll lose my post. bye
Old 01-18-2004, 04:53 PM   #93  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugP
I want Funky Monkey underwhere!!!! (Did you know there was a "Chinese diaspora"?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia

She said it was time for the lid to come off. She hit it with the end of an ice pick and it popped off.
Ha, I knew it.

Isn't it nice that you have so many friends who know everything? You know, like me. Just ask DH; he'll tell you I'm a know-it-all

Painty, I think the inaccuracies were more in the art descriptions themselves than in the general happenings of the time. Two that I remember were that The Last Supper was not a fresco, and Mona Lisa was painted on wood, not board (whatever difference that makes). That kind of thing.

Bagz, that building was on Main Street downtown; I'm not sure whether it's what you're thinking of or not. Not quite on the waterfront, but possibly facing it. It was built in the 1860s. They lost Masonic costumes and lodge records; all kinds of irreplaceable stuff.here's an article about the building They lost their original charter document, over 200 years old. It was originally chartered as the "Rising Virtue Lodge No. 10" The biggest loss to me is that there was a shoe repair shop in the building. I'll bet they don't start back up. I love the old shoe repair shops. They smell amazing. Of course I haven't been in one in years -- can't really be shocked when they go out of business.

Well, we went to the somewhat dreaded half-sib cocktail party; it was in the next town, so not like we had to drive very far. It was lots of fun, we had a good time. I knew we would have a good time -- I also knew I would end up making plans with my half-sis and her family, thus setting myself up for future disappointments. It's all so predictable. We are going to go to my niece's performance in a Gilbert and Sullivan opera. No problem, we want to go. Maybe it will all go swimmingly. Maybe we'll have our plans all made and they will cancel at the last minute. Stay tuned. I'm very pessimistic, even while I act in this naively optimistic way. Obviously I'm schizophrenic.

DH is watching football today. So we are wasting another weekend day at home, me on the computer, him in front of the TV, and DD up in her room. I guess tomorrow we're going out to the movies and dinner for DH's birthday. I was going to bake a cake, but it's a little to start for tonight, isn't it? Hmm.

Kiwi
Old 01-18-2004, 05:03 PM   #94  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohani
I have joined Ad-free, but want to know why we are still grouped with MIsc clubs and don't have our own heading. I feel diminished by those Jaded Ladies who just moved right in next door.

I forget what everyone else wrote and if I hit my back button to find out...I'll lose my post. bye

Here's what I think: if we had our own heading, we would have perky inquisitive people joining every day. Not that I have anything against perky inquisitive people

I have a wee suggestion re: reading previous posts without hitting the back button. Scroll down! If you're using Quick Reply, hit the Go Advanced button first, then scroll down--it shows the last 15 replies. I love the new format, there are all kinds of little features that make my computer-geeky heart go pitter-pat.

Kiwi
Old 01-18-2004, 05:10 PM   #95  

Default Accurate book title among other things.

The book I'm reading that I couldn't remember the title of because it was 2 am is: Where the Light Remains.. by Hayden Gabriel.... Lovely bits about creativity and frustrated women. right up my alley!

I DO NOT want funky monkeys in my pants! Apparently they didn't make "rat pants" when it was going to be the year of the rat. Thanks, Sug for the link. Those Chinese! What'll they think of next.

Does anybody know (or care) how to get smilies in the JOURNAL posts? I keep ending up with lots of colons (:::::::::: and odd words. Maybe I need a colonoscopy. Jeez, I hope not.

We are also in football/computer mode. I'm gonna go watch the fanatics freeze their monkey pants.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:18 PM   #96  
loves kleenex box art

Kiwi, I thought your words to Looannie were very subtle. Nice job.

Painty, I don't know. Sorry. I'm the one who knows nothing.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:10 PM   #97  
The magic shrinking cow

Kiwi, do you know anything about XML parsers?

I'm getting fatter... I've had a bad cough for more than a week now and haven't been able to exercise as much as I have to to keep from getting fat. I don't know if I gave the cold to Sug or if she gave it to me.

Peaches, yay on getting the lid off! I didn't know you were in a creative writing workshop online. I'm doing a two-year novel program. This week, we're talking about theme and symbolism.

Painty, I'm applying to Universities of Missouri, Iowa, and Wisconsin-Madison, although MU is the one I'll most likely go to, since we likely won't move before June. There aren't many ALA-accredited schools left... people keep talking about a shortage of librarians, but no one wants to do anything about it. I think I also have to try to get an MA in English as well, if I want a job. Probably lit, not creative writing, although I do aspire to be a novelist.

Hi Wabby, Lushie, and Baggzz!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:55 AM   #98  

Cherry-- are you doing the Writer's Digest course? A friend of mine did that one and her novel has been purchased and edited enough times that it's now in galleys. There's even a publicist and the liklihood of radio interviews when it comes out.

Librarians tend to be meek, I think.... But the woman my ex ran off with was also a librarian... then she worked for a consulting firm and made BIG bucks working truly with INFORMATION management, (more like I.T. theory, I think).... rather than books.
Where are good researchers being trained if not in library schools?

Which Mo campus has the library school? SLU? Columbus? There's one close to me in North Texas if you'd like to get out of the snow, mostly.

I am really wanting to eat something. Drat.Maybe I'll get in bed and read.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:00 AM   #99  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Cow
Kiwi, do you know anything about XML parsers?
Sorry, no, not a thing. I leave the web stuff to my DD.

DH stayed up too late tonight for me to make his birthday cake. Oh well, his fault for changing his plans at the last minute. So tomorrow we're going to either Cold Mountain or Paycheck and out to dinner. Maybe I'll bring a candle and stick it in his dessert

I think I'll go look at the reviews for movies. I know Cold Mountain would be better than Paycheck, but I'm not really in the mood for serious and dramatic.

Kiwi
Closed Thread