Old 06-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias ó #42

Good Morning! Itís a beautiful sunny morning although a bit cooler. Bob and Beth just left to see if they could catch any fish; rumor has it they arenít biting very well so hope they have some luck. Iíve got a load of laundry in the washer and am going to make a macaroni and tuna salad next. My money co-counter is back home again and I am so excited; she and I work well together! Yesterday was a perfect day for a soccer game ever though Zowieís team lost. There was just enough breeze to keep the gnats and mosquitoes away. She was asked to fill in on another team today, for a tournament, but we wonít go. She has one last game next week and Ian has a ball game so will make two trips up there.

Ceejay, glad your trip to the airport went ok for you! Will your brother come to visit while your sister is there? Itís nice your sister is adapting to your house; Iím sure that might have been a concern for you. We happened to hit a roundabout leaving Sioux Falls yesterday. It was a pretty simple one with just two lanes to switch over, not too confusing. Did you get your social security check straightened out? I hope so.

Not much is newsy from my corner of the world today; well, except the flooding from the Missouri River around Sioux City which is supposed to peak today some time. Hope you all are enjoying a relaxing day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #2  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, the leaves are blowing, and no rain in today’s forecast! It has been a lazy morning at my house. I have towels folded and ready to put away and another load washing. I need to run a couple errands but think I will wait until after lunch. We managed to balance both church weeks on the first try yesterday. I was done with my part mid morning so all was good. Our church has altar flower arrangements, either in honor of or in memory of, people. Sunday’s flowers were for me “for all I do at church.” I was surprised and could bring the flowers home. They are bright pink carnations, white miniature glads (?), and greenery. The garden/gift shop delivers them on Saturday. I had a P.E.O. Luncheon and initiation of a new member which took up most of the afternoon. The restaurant makes huge salads and I brought at least half of mine home. Bob’s singing group goes out to eat at the end of the year at the same restaurant. I wasn’t even hungry so ordered potato skins and brought half of them home. There are leftovers from the weekend so it will be easy to decide what’s for lunch!

Not much newsy from here today. Hope you are enjoying a terrific Tuesday!

Old 06-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Default Hello

It's been busy since Friday. Picked up sis at airport, and came back to the house. Church was on Sunday and ate lunch with other sister.
Monday we had a picnic at a park in Springfield, which was beautiful, on Monday. This morning other sis came to the house and she fried bacon and I scrambled eggs. After breakfast we went for a walk in my small town.
More later.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #4  

Good morning. We are expecting on and off rain for the next week and high temps so I imagine it will be sticky. I have nothing going this week so donít have to be out in it.

The neighbors on the right moved out sometime last week. They left a mess over there. Itís listed on Zillow for rent and allowing section 8 so who knows what will happen. The backyard has weeds to the top of the garage and dog doo all over the place. How you rent something out that looks like that I donít know. It disgusts me.

I put a roast, carrots, and potatoes in the crockpot for dinner, have a load in the washer, but still need to unload the dishwasher.

CeeJay: Glad your sister got there safely and is getting settled at your house. Sad she has a disease that destroys vision. Gosh I havenít been to a picnic in years. When I was a kid we would go to church, come home and pack up and go to the park for a day of picnicking and fun. They had band concerts at night, which were fun.

Jean: Glad you have your counting buddy back. What a wonderful thing to do. I am sure you are enjoying your beautiful flowers. The flooding is so sad. Farmers are ruined, families have lost their homes, the infrastructure is in trouble and many devastating things. We are under flood level, but the river is high. I love the macaroni and tuna salad.

Everyone have a good day.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! Another beautiful day in my neighborhood; it’s sunny, no wind, and no rain in sight! I’ve been working on sorting through a large cupboard that would qualify for hoarding. I can tell by some of the things it’s been a very long time that I have been putting things in just to get them out of sight. I have three books of 78 rpm records, wonder if the antique shop would take them. Some have been played so much the holes have tape trying to make them smaller. They were my mom’s so I hate to part with them. Since I have nothing to play them on, they are out the door! It has been an off and on project all day. I took some time to finish my library book that is due tomorrow.

Ceejay, you have been a busy gal entertaining your sisters! How long will your sister stay with you?

”Gma,” our humidity is on the rise but we sure don’t need any more rain! I will send positive vibes that you get some nice neighbors this time! We heard from the next door neighbor that the ex-principal’s house has been sold to a single teacher. The house across the street is the “weekenders” and the next house is a widow who thinks she’s still on the farm and can park her garbage cans in front of the house and her utility trailer in the street. We didn’t luck out on getting a couple around our age who likes to play cards. It remains to be seen what moves in next to us but I’m pretty sure what they are going to be. Bob thought sure he would be moving planting equipment today but it is still too wet. Maybe tomorrow the guys will get going again. Zowie’s last soccer game is tomorrow night; I wish it didn’t take 2 1/2 hours to get there.

Bob just finished trimming around the yard and thinks maybe supper is next. We are running out of leftovers so I may have to cook tomorrow! Hope you have had a good day and enjoy a nice evening.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #6  

Good morning to you all. Overcast and rainy here. We had terrible thunderstorms early this morning. A lightening strike kaboom brought me straight up off the bed from being sound asleep. Scared the heck out of me and then of course I couldnít get back to sleep.

I got Jacksonís birthday sent off to him except for the Cubs gift. I have to get a frame for it to send it to him. It along with Jackís Fatherís Day gift should be here tomorrow. Iíll send out Thomasís bday towards the end of the month then good to go until Halloween. We have a long weekend planned around my birthday, but other than that, nothing. Weíre going to the last three games of the Cubs for the year in St Louis.

I bought this cute pillbox from QVC. It is from a company called LUG which makes luggage and such in fabric. Itís sort of like Vera Bradley. I have a couple of their things, one of which is for my knitting projects. I really like their stuff. I bought a crossbody bag for my girlfriend to take on the cruise and they had the pillbox in matching fabric so I sent her one and bought one for myself. It has a weekly plastic pillbox inside with small zipper pockets outside and in the interior. I always have trouble with my weekly box coming open when we travel and this will fix that. The boxes daily cubes snapped shut with a clip so they donít pop open. I also got some new summer clothes which should be here next week. Blues must be popular this year because everything seems to be shades of blue. I did find a navy tshirt with red and blue sailboats to go with red capris. I found a pretty shirt in shades of green with mint colored capris. I got a cream tshirt with a peach colored beach scene and dark peach capris. They were having a big sale so I took advantage of it, coupon and my perks card, which gives me 10% off on everything. I am set for summer now.

Jean: We have had flooding around the city I read and a lot of power is out. We escaped both. I am sure theyíll be someone who wants the old records. My hair salon took old 45ís and glued them to the bathroom walls with old posters. They look really cute. I have to be realistic living here, but I always dread pigs moving in or loud partiers or drug people. You never know what youíll get and most donít even last a year. I mentioned to Jack they move out without us ever knowing it. He raised his eyebrows, laughed and said he imagined they were delinquent on rent and were going to get evicted so they move in the middle of the night. I still donít see how we never hear them, especially since Iím here all day. They have stopped parking in front of garages for awhile, but then the management started going out and having them towed overnight!

Well I need to get going. Have a good weekend.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon! It’s another beautiful day in my neighborhood, sunny and no wind. Love it! The neighbor next door is having her moving sale this weekend so there are lots of cars coming and going. All of a sudden we have several small children riding bikes on our street. None of them live on our block and they are not good at paying attention to cars. There are a couple driveways, not our’s, that have a good slant to them and the kids like to zip up and down, in and out, without looking left nor right. We haven’t had any children on our street for several years so just hope no one has an accident. Several drivers are older than we are! I made a salad for lunch that I haven’t made for a long time, has Jello in it so hope it tastes as good as I remember. Also made tuna salad for sandwiches. I am a regular Betty Crocker today! Haha!

“Gma,” you must be getting the tail end of our crappy weather! I just use a rubber band around the pill containers when we travel; knock on wood they haven’t broken and dumped the weeks worth in a pile to sort through. I’ve also used tiny zip lock pill bags that I found at WM. They work nicely for jewelry too. Your new clothes sound cute and ready for summer! You seem to have such good luck ordering either online or from a catalog (?). Our one and only dress shop is having a “buy one, get one half price” sale going on right now. I wanted/needed another pair of jeans and of course none in my size so they ordered them from another store. I have gone in there and nothing catches my eye but this time, when I went to pick up the jeans, found several items. One is a hot pink top with 3/4 sleeves which I like. The other is a jacket with square and rectangle shapes in the same hot pink, shades of lighter pink, black, and white. I may have to go back and look some more. For as expensive as their clothes are they are still making money with their sales! We have several Mexican clothing stores or WM to add variety to the mix.

I need to switch a load of laundry to the dryer. I think we wear more clothes when it’s warmer, or at least it seems like there is more laundry. Enjoy the rest of a fantastic Friday!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:48 PM   #8  

Evening
We put my sister on a plane back to Georgia this afternoon and she's home. I'm exhausted. Didn't realize how serious her eyesight was till this week end. and she told us that her hubby is in the early stages of dementia. It is so sad. His brother and dad had dementia. Text her daughter and asked to keep us informed
Wednesday we drove to Fort Lenard Wood military base to visit with our cousin Jack and his wife Patty. That was a fun afternoon. Thursday we went with a group of friends to a place called Lavender Falls for lunch.
I'm exhausted but after a good night's sleep I think I will be okay. I didn't sleep well cause she had to get up at night to go potty. But she did very well finding her way across the hall to the bathroom. We practiced the first night.

Jean
Yum on the tuna sandwiches. That's a great idea for lunch tomorrow. We certainly do not need any more rain but today it was lighter than usual. I'll be glad for a few dry day's.

gma22
I hate when a clap of lightning pops right over my head. I do the same thing and sit straight up in the bed. I'm not fond of thunderstorms anyway.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! It is a cloudy, windy, gloomy day in my neighborhood. We were in the rain forecast; it looked like it might happen this morning but so far nothing. It is cool outside; we were so spoiled with the nice days we just had. We went to church because our retired superintendent preached, and he is good. He’s very thoughtful in his messages and makes one feel glad they were there. He greeted us with a handshake and “thanks for coming, good to see you” before church this morning. That never happens with the regular pastor, he is a dud imo, as I’ve said before. We went out for breakfast and I have been puttering ever since. Yesterday’s ballgame was a tournament, 6 inning games. For some reason they ran over an hour behind schedule so Ian’s game started at 7, which is their usual time. I wore jeans because of the gnats and it was supposed to cool down with rain around 10:00 when the game would be over. I took my umbrella just in case because last year we got dumped on with no warning. Ian had a great game, two hits, a walk, made it home twice, and caught a ball in the outfield. After the fourth inning the game was called because of lightning which we could see moving in fast. His team won 2 of the 3 games so he was a happy kid last night. We drove home in rain to Sioux City and then dry the rest of the way. SD bugs are terrible and my car was plastered so Bob made a trip to the car wash after he sprayed them when we got home. Tomorrow is church counting and I will have to pick up the gift shop money to count. The coffee shop and gift shop were closed Friday when I went and no one bothered to let me know. Needless to say I was a little irritated!

Ceejay, you were a nice hostess for your sister and I’m sure she appreciated everything you did for her. I’m glad you enjoyed her visit but it is extra work to have company. That is sad about her husband. A 90 year old member of our church has been diagnosed; he is such a nice guy and I feel bad for him. I worry about lightning because there is a skylight close to the shower in the bathroom. Of course lightning seems to happen in the morning when I want to get my day started with a shower.

Bob is going to grill a pork loin so guess that is my cue to get some fresh green beans ready to go. Since we don’t plant a garden I like to go to the Farmers’ Market which hasn’t gotten started yet. Hope you enjoy the rest of a nice day!
Old 06-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #10  

It has been a beautiful Sunday. Went to church this morning and out to lunch with sis and bil to a Mexican restaurant. Sis gave me two ceramic flower pots to use so I'll need to get those planted. I'm thinking something easy like petunia's.
Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 74 so this will be a good day to work outside, and I have a lot to do.
Not much going on.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #11  

Good evening. Warm and sticky today and supposed to be decent all week. Weíre getting ready to watch the Cubs game. Theyíre playing Colorado. The manager does theme trips with the guys. It keeps pressure off and they have fun. This series they dressed as cowboys. They dressed as women last year and that was a hoot. They dressed in one piece pjs for one trip, Vegas mobsters one time. They did Disney characters and seeing a hairy big baseball player dressed as Tinkerbell is hilarious.

Today is my younger grandsonís twelfth birthday. I talked to him this afternoon and heís going to have a busy summer. I canít believe heíll be in 7th grade in August.

CeeJay: That is so sad about your brother in law. It has to be really difficult for her to care for him and not having sight. I know my biggest fear would be him wandering off when I canít see him leave. Glad you had a fun visit. Bother neighbors have let their weeds grow unchecked and of course it blows pollen into my yard and I have to continually chop stuff down and spray weed killer. We have ants now too. They are super tiny. I bought borax bait traps, which Iím told are the best to get rid of ants.

Jean: I had chicken salad with grapes, pecans, and apples tonight. It was really good. Bob Evans used to have the best chicken salad plate with fresh fruit. Whenever weíd eat there in the summer I always ordered it, but they donít make it anymore. I saw a friendís FB page that said peach crop in Michigan has been destroyed and Indiana farmers havenít been able to plant because there arenít enough dry days to get out in the fields. By fall prices are going to zoom up for all produce into next year. Farmers are losing millions. Sometimes I wonder where preachers heads are at. You preach and put people to sleep and theyíre going to figure out excuses not to go to church. Donít get me wrong, his job isnít to entertain, but if want them to learn something you have to keep their attention. When Jack taught the adult class he was so interesting. Heíd give out handouts like when he taught on the Solomonís Temple, etc.

You all have a good evening.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #12  

Good Evening! We had sunshine and wind today. It was 47 degrees when I came downstairs this morning! A big change from 90 and humidity last week! Church counting was fast because we were on the ball and paying attention instead of gabbing. For whatever reason the “ministry helper” was in her office right by where we were counting. I made a quick stop at WM then picked up the gift shop money. That counted fast because it was a slow week I guess. I did a load of towels which are in the dryer waiting to be put away. Otherwise it has been a ho hum kind of day.

Ceejay, did you get petunias already blooming to plant, or did you sprinkle seeds? If we don’t get rain soon we will have to water flowers. We either have too much rain or not enough.out water is expensive so hate to water too often. We never water the lawn.

”Gma,” the Cubs manager sounds like a good guy to come up with ideas for the team. The outfits sound fun. Our Arby’s has the chicken salad sandwich again. It has grapes and pecans in it, I can’t remember if there are apples or not. It is good and big enough I bring half home for another meal. We have a lot of fields too wet to plant, and a lot with wet areas that the farmer has planted around. I think Iowa is in better shape than Nebraska. I’m sure prices will go up on groceries! Our previous pastor got his doctorate in Hebrew and was always injecting bits of history and culture in his sermons. We always felt good after going to church with him.

Hope you have had a good day and enjoy the evening!

Last edited by Jean; 06-10-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #13  

Good Morning! It’s another gloomy cool morning in my neighborhood. We had a few raindrops fall earlier but nothing serious. I’ve done a load of laundry and was going to take checks to the hospital. I usually park right by the door where the valets are, just to pick up money or drop off checks, but this morning there were several cars there. The other option is a lengthy walk from the parking lot since closer doors are now locked 24/7. It had started to rain so I drove through the lot and will go back after lunch. Ian’s game for tonight was cancelled because they didn’t have anyone to play against. The next game will be even further away for us so don’t think we will be going. Bob May change my mind. I need to peel potatoes for lunch so better get that done. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #14  

Good morning everyone. Another decent day here today. Iím just hanging out at home today.

We had some piece come loose on the garage door and called our garage guy who said heíd call when he could come out and that was a week ago so Jack said heíd get parts and fix it himself, which he did. So, Jack wanted me to find him a set of nut drivers more than what he has. Lowes had a set of five by themselves or with a set of some other stuff he didnít want. I found a larger set for less money on Amazon so they should be here today. Hopefully the door will stay put.

I think sloppy joes are in order tonight. Jack is picking up a Kroger order after work so dinner will be a little later than usual so thought something quick tonight. Besides using the oven makes it to hot in the house and I donít want to wrangle the slow cooker, etc tonight.

Jean: Hopefully when you went back to the hospital you got close enough to run in and out. When we lived in Indiana and my nephew was on the football team we used to go with my sister and brother-in-law to the Friday night games. Some of them were nearly 3 hours away. Considering the games started at 7 pm, it made for late nights. We had a great preacher who was like that too. It makes you want to listen.

Everyone have a good Wednesday!
Old 06-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #15  

They found a mass on my bil's pancreas. Not sure of the results.yet. sis said if it was benign they could remove it, if it's lymphoma cancer they could treat it. They were going to put in a port for chemo either today or tomorrow. I've been keeping an eye for a newsletter email from church but nothing except for when he went to the ER Monday night.
I need some comfort food and am going to Braum's to get a chicken club

An update. It looks like the diagnosis is lymphoma cancer which is treatable and curable. Sis sounded very positive.

Last edited by ceejay52; 06-12-2019 at 06:41 PM.