Old 01-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #16  
Restarting AGAIN

S/C/G: 167/114/140/see ticker/105

Height: not quite 5'

Our Lady Bonbon - hope your legs get better! I finished week 4 yesterday and am set to begin week 5 on Monday. I think W5D1 looks easier than week 4, but W5D3 scares the daylights out of me, lol.
Sindaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 203.5/173.0/140

Height: 5'3"

Oops I need to work on clarifying what I mean when I type something. Things can get so misconstrued over the internet.
Perhaps you and I see "uncomfortable" as different things. When I run, I'm not jogging. I'm full-out running, sweat running down my back, out-of-breath running. To me, "running" is going faster than you're really comfortable going, whereas "jogging" is anything above walking speed but below being out of breath. Also, I go by Webster's definition of "comfortable," which is "free from stress or tension." When you exercise, even if you are fit, you are putting stress on your body in order to improve its condition. Stress goes against the definition of "comfortable" for me, so I guess when I typed "uncomfortable," I meant, "free from stress being applied to your body."
I didn't mean that running should be [I]painful[I], but that it shouldn't be as easy as being at rest.
Our Lady Bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #18  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

I've been lurking on this thread... I think I should join, but am truly still on the fence. I've done it before, and run a 5k before, and then swore off running.

But I think i might have been too hasty...
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #19  
Closet skinny chick! :)

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Hi everyone! So glad to see the progress being made. I came down with the flu on day 3 of my gym workouts, so I've pretty much been out of commission since last Wednesday.. it's so damn frustrating! I was considering going back last night for a short workout, but I tested myself by walking the dog first... and I was tired after less than 5 minutes so figured i'm not ready to start working out yet.

Looking forward to getting back into the gym asap though, this is making me stir crazy!
Chantelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #20  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

our lady- hope your legs are doing better!!! and my week went well! i did 5 days last week, and one day i power walked about 4 miles with a friend, which was nice. not getting easier yet, but i'm hopeful
we'll see how next week goes. i might do week one for 2 days next week, then start week 2 on wed...

sindaena- hope week 5 goes well! fill us on on the progress

dcapulet- if you're up for it, try it out again, see how you feel. what about doing the 5k made you stop running?
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #21  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I started week one day one yesterday. I was sweating so bad and so red. I had tried the c25k program before, but I had quit half way through it. I hope I make it through the program this time.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #22  

Sindaena -- Thank you I called my doc and she said not to run tonight, to ice it, and then try tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll start W5 tomorrow. I agree! W5D1 looks doable, but W5D3? That's insane! I'm sure you'll be able to do it, though. I'm gunning for ya!
dcapulet -- Well, whatever you decide, we're glad to have you here, lurking or otherwise! Congratulations on having already run a 5k! What a great accomplishment. I hope you stick around as you make your decision.
Chantelle-- Ouch! I HATE the flu! I hope you feel better soon, and I'm glad you're over the worst of it. I know what you mean about being out of commission-- I'm about ready to smash something from being so stir-crazy.
Fillupthesky -- Thanks! I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my leg, and I am hopeful that I'll be able to run tomorrow. Wow! Woman, you're on fire! Way to go with all that running and that power walk. It's inspiring to see that you're so dedicated. Let us know how you're progressing -- I admire your determination.
Asherdoodles87-- Congratulations on starting again! Oh, I know -- my first day, I was huffing and puffing! Take it at your own pace, and remember that the race doesn't come until the end. One thing this forum has shown me is that weight loss isn't all about the reward at the end of the process; the journey itself can be its own reward as you go along.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #23  
trying to impress myself

asher- congrats on getting started! god you should see me after i'm done. all red, sweaty, like dripping. but as gross as i am, it makes me feel so accomplished. let us know how you're doing

out lady- thanks hun! i kicked the cardio into overdrive this week because i had to lay off the strength training. but i like the running, so i think i'll still shoot for 5 days this week, but if i get four, i'll be ok with that
also, i have a lot of time on my hands these days, so i feel like i have no excuse not to!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 159/157/110

Height: 5'1''

couch to 5k sounds amazing... i want to try it.. i am seriously at the couch potato step right now.. i walked on the treadmill twice last week for 30 minutes, and that was EXHAUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i was going only at level 3...)

i would love to be able to run 5k....

i'm going to look it up and see what the program is like.. i might start next week....
purplepumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #25  
Bingo

fillup - Last year, I had spent the summer training for an October 5k. I ran it, and it was the best feeling. It was an accomplished goal - and after the finish line, I "decided" to never do it again, because I needed to put in so much hard work and effort.
Needless to say, I was not in the right frame of mind- I was not completely comitted to my diet, exercise and overall health. So I did the "impossible" for me (1. ran for the first time, 2. Ran 3.1 miles at 260lbs) and figured I didn't need to go any farther.
But now, I AM comitted to being a better, healthier me. And I've been thinking about starting this again, to be active, and a runner - for real this time, and for life.

Our Lady - thank you. I'm glad you started this thread so I can lurk until I get off my butt and just do it
Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #26  
No Excuses

S/C/G: 169.8/159/135

Height: 5'4

I just started Week 3. I was intimated by the 3 minutes, but I did it!
In other news the dreaded achilles tendon pain is back. sigh I really want to run but I don't want to injure myself again. Contemplating going to the doctor and asking what I can do. I'm looking up physical therapy for it when I get home.
luposlipaphobia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #27  

fillup-- I'm glad you're liking the running. Wtg! It's more and more rewarding as the program goes on
purplepumpkin--Glad you could join us! It really is a great program. It's not easy, but you will really see results. Climbing stairs will be easier, you won't get out of breath as much, you might be one of the lucky ones who get happy endorphins, and you'll probably sleep better, too. We'd be glad if you joined us on our journey!!!
dcapulet-- You're more than welcome; lurk away!
luposlipaphobia87--Way to go! Congrats on starting Week 3; that's a big jump, and at the end of the week, you'll be a third of the way through the program. Yes, 3 weeks doesn't seem like a long time, but you're getting ready for a milestone! Go out and get yourself a little something special to reward yourself. I'm sorry about your achilles tendon pain. That's horrible; I've experienced it before and got it worked out through physical therapy. I think going to your doctor is a good idea; you don't want to really injure yourself. I'll be praying for you!

An update on my progress:
Okay, so at like 9:00 pm last night, my entire family piled into the car and went to the gym. My brother worked with me on strength training for a half an hour, and then . . . I RAN W5D3! I finished it without walking, and it was difficult but not horrible! The leap from 8-20 minutes seemed absolutely insane, but trust the program! I know everybody says that, but it's because it's true. I don't feel like a full-on runner, but I feel like I'm approaching the status where I can say, "Yeah, I run," if anyone asks me what I do to exercise. It's a wonderful feeling
Old 02-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #28  
trying to impress myself

hey everyone...so i'm attempting week 2 this week, as last week i kind of fell off the wagon due to life issues and just did week 1 3 times.
i'm also starting a new fitness routine, so c25k will be my extra cardio
and i think i will stick to it 3-4 days a week rather than 5 (for c25k). the fitness program i'm doing is 6 days a week, so i don't want to over do it

our lady- great progress!!!! woooooot!!! thats wonderful

lupos- hope you're feeling better, and congrats on the progress as well!

dcapulet- kudos on the commitment to yourself and a healthy lifestyle how is it going so far?

Last edited by fillupthesky; 02-08-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #29  
Bingo

Ok I've decided - I'm starting C25K Tuesday, March 1st.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #30  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Hi,

I just did week one day 2 here, with a raging hangover and it nearly killed me! But, i'm proud I did it, and didn't give up half way through like the 'old me' would have done. i can't wait to be a few weeks in and seeing results, greeat reading how you guys are getting on
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote