Old 06-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #196  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

So, here we are. Day after tomorrow we head home again. It's been a good trip so far -- the wedding was fun and seeing people has worked out pretty well. Food selections have been reasonably careful and getting lots of exercise between the gym and walking around.

Today was a milestone -- DH and I actually bought tableware. We've been using the remnants of the set he and his first wife had along with odds and ends gathered along the way. And we've never been able to agree on any. DH wouldn't consider anything inexpensive. I just wanted something that didn't look too cheap and was a nice colour. Well, today we walked into a somewhat pricey store and were both quite taken with the same tableware. Got service for 12 of these ones -- four each in celadon, sage and white, along with a few serving pieces. Can hardly wait to have friends for dinner!

Kat, the anti-inflammatory info is very interesting. I'm going to reintroduce similar when I get home. It's hard to eat quite as clean on the road as at home.

Anagram, it's kind of nice going to events solo sometimes. I used to get extremely self-conscious when I went anywhere alone but I'm starting to get more comfortable.

Well, I'd better get some work done -- just wanted to pop in to the palace so you don't forget me.

Have a lovely evening, lies!
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #197  
a work in progress...

Glad you had fun, Arabella! I had to laugh about the tableware...27 years of marriage, and we've got one of those odds and ends sets going too! One of these days... By the way: how could we forget you?

Hazy, hot and humid here, too, anagram! Tomorrow's supposed to be much better, so I'm keeping my fingers Lots of gardening needs to be met, that I just haven't felt like doing... I did manage to get my lunchtime walks in, despite the heat, but that's about it. Need to ramp up the old exercise regime, for sure.

Hi to everyone else, I'm off to forage for some dinner...

katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #198  

Smile Home again, home again

And thinking it must be time to get this party started. Still shaking my head over the realization that I've regained 20+ pounds since last July without half trying. But 'tis a fact and can't be argued with. I can only go on from where I am. Was just reading about someone who'd gained 80 pounds in 10 months so I suppose it could be worse.

Today is Day One of eating only when I'm hungry and only at the table when alone.

It's nice to be home. I've got our sheets on the line so they'll be fresh and lovely to slide between. More laundry in the washer. DH did a husband-type job of vacuuming, shopping and cleaning the bathrooms yesterday and I have not and will not say or suggest a word other than "Thank you!" Even if it kills me.

Kat, good for you getting out for lunch walks! We walked so much in Toronto and I'd end up a sweat ball when we got where we were going. Makes a girl feel inelegant, I must say. Funny about the dishes, eh? I think it will make me feel quite grown up to have a set.

Anagram, from my perspective you've held on very nicely, staying right around the border of Onederland. So KUDOS!

Eydie, thanks for that recipe -- will definitely make it. I'm always on the lookout for good veggie dinners. DH always says he's happy with vegetarian dinners -- as long as they're tasty. Sounds like that recipe qualifies.

WSW, how are things in your corner of the palace? Hope all is well!

Amarantha, how dost thy recovery progress?

K, just lollygagging with the last of my I'm going out through the woods, then back for and an epsom salts bath.

Let's make this a good one, lies!

Last edited by Arabella; 06-26-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #199  

Default Day 2

Yes it is. And there were several moments yesterday when I thought of grabbing a bite of something or other but remembered it was Day 1 and didn't.

Was in a very grumpy space yesterday, not satisfied with life at all. Which I seem to keep slipping back into, probably because I keep not doing what I need to do to keep myself satisfied. It's so simple -- so why do I keep falling into that rut? I need to look after myself and tend to my needs. Reclaiming that, today.

The latter part of the trip was odd, partially a combination of too much of DS' family and friends and trying to do things while working. But I did come out of it with those nice dishes so...

We'll be off for our walk soon and then I'll work on pleasing myself for the rest of this day.

Let's take this day we've been given and make the most of it, Queenies!

Last edited by Arabella; 06-27-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #200  
a work in progress...

Hail, and good morning, s!

Tis another hot day coming, I don't think as humid, but no matter, I have designated today to be an all day gardening affair. I bought some wave petunias and some zinnias last night, to fill in some bareish spots, and the weeds, oh, do the weeds need tending to! I have a few little tomatoes popping, which makes me smile every time I see them! In the meantime, I still have to buy tomatoes, to go with all the basil that is flourishing in my back yard!

It is amazing, isn't it, Arabella? Without really trying, the weight manages to find it's way back, and once it's there, twice as hard to remove as the first time you lost it!! Have you ever had your thyroid checked? I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about a year or so ago, and have been taking Synthroid, which I thought would be the answer to my SSSSSLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW weight loss issues... but it's been only moderately so, and not without a great deal of struggle on my part. I was just reading yesterday about it....very interesting to learn that my other health issues (high cholesterol, dry skin) may stem from hypothyroidism, and that Synthroid (synthetic thyroid hormone) isn't as effective as taking the real thing, (drs must pay homage to big drug companies) or even adding iodine to my dietary supplements... I intend to investigate further.

I find myself floundering, once again, after a good week of clean eating, a few naughty things slipped into my mouth, that shouldn't have, and I begin to feel that old 'well, I screwed up again, might as well keep going' urge, BUT was able to view the incidents as mere bumps in the road and move on... and THAT, my friends, is progress for this !

Okay, time to finish my and get it in gear...

Hoping all queens are flourishing!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #201  

Smile Day 3 and Fresh Start Monday

Had a nice long walk with DH yesterday, went out to the library and got my mom stocked up with books again. Sat in the sun with my sister and had a good visit. That's a bit more like it.

Finished editing a looooooooong article for DH, ironed some clothes. On Thursday morning, we'd been to the St. Lawrence Market and I picked up a huge bundle of basil, which is now washed and waiting to become pesto this evening.

I signed up for an online course and self-hypnosis audio for weight loss. It deals with subconscious issues that keep us from losing weight or lead us to regain. Oh, my hand's UP! I remember catching sight of myself in a mirror last summer and thinking I looked like "a normal person." And, although I was elated, somehow the weight started sneaking back on after that. I don't think it's purely coincidental. It's a "pay what you want" deal. PM me if you'd like the link.

Kat, I do think that I've probably got thyroid issues too. I've got enough of the symptoms. Interesting holistic/natural perspective here.

Maybe, like Oprah, we "blew our thyroids out?" I know, for sure, that I can't eat much without gaining weight. At the same time, I occasionally eat more than is reasonable. And I also know that when I'm putting my heart and soul into it, I will lose, even if not swiftly.

On we go, in any case. Let's hit it, ies!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #202  
wsw

hi queenlies! i have missed you all very much! wasn't feeling too great physically, but i'm back, and definitely feeling better now. just wanted to check in and say hello. will catch up on past posts soon. for now, though, greetings to all in and around the royal kigndom.
wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #203  

Smile Day 4

That's better!

That one little change makes so much difference. I found myself knowing I needed to take control but wondering what, exactly, I should do. Didn't want to swear off carbs (although limiting them is helpful), didn't want to count points (although eating less is obviously required). Yesterday I found myself much more motivated, so much more controlled. Eating only when I'm sitting at the table gives me that moment of pause to think about things. Think about what I really want to eat, what my body wants me to eat.

Dark and grey here today, later. I'm going to walk over to tai chi and then later this morning. I think i'll work from home or maybe go in after lunch.

One new thing I did yesterday was stand to work for some of the time. I've been reading about how harmful it is to sit for extended periods. At first I thought, well, I can't stand in one place for extended periods, either. But I find it's not much of a strain to stand for 20 minutes or so to work and apparently, standing for even that much of every hour burns considerably more calories and is so much better for one's health. So, that's a new habit I'm definitely going to cultivate. C'est bon!

At home, I can put the laptop on top of a bookcase and there's a high table in the kitchen at work that's just the right level.

WSW, so glad you're feeling better!

K, Queenlies -- let's hit it!

Last edited by Arabella; 06-29-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #204  
a work in progress...

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing, Arabella! I know I need to look into this further... need to explore other options, for sure.

I know there's more I wanted to say, but my eyes are drooping and I am fading fast... been reading when I should have been typing!

Tomorrow, definitely!

Nighty night, all!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #205  
Hot Stuff

Happy Canada Day to our Royal Canadians!

Happy Independence Day to our Royal Americans!

2010 is half over in both countries. Six months left. Time to make some changes.

I had a wake up call two weeks ago. Heart palpitations started early in the morning and continued until I was at work. Really unusual for me, so I called my doc. Had to go in to see her right away and she sent me for blood work and an electrocardiogram. Then I had to schedule an echocardiogram. Lucked out and got an appointment the same week. I see her tomorrow for the follow-up.

It was frightening to think I could have something wrong with my heart. I continued having palpitations over the last two weeks, and when checking my pulse I can feel skipped beats very prominently. I really don't think I'm going to be told it's serious - likely stress or thyroid or one of a dozen other things that can cause it. But it has made me realize this isn't a game I can continue to play when I feel like it.

I've been waiting to get cleared by my doc, but once I see her on Monday I am committing to a sensible, maintainable plan. Where do I want to be six months from now? I want to be healthier, slimmer, more toned. I want to break the cycle of having no time to look after me, making bad choices, feeling guilty about it...you all know what I mean.

Where do you want to be in six months?
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #206  
deleted2

Wildfire, YES! Thanks for the friendly reminder that this year that we'll never get back is slipping away. Wouldn't it be the coolest thing ever to have made some dents in our goals or achieve them when the calendar turns to 2011?

I'm ready!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #207  
a work in progress...

Good question, Wildfire! I really need to make that commitment... not the half-hearted attempts that make me wonder why is this taking so long?? I KNOW WHY. What stops me from giving it my all? I celebrated my 53rd birthday on Saturday... perfect mid point of the year to reassess, recalibrate, redo whatever is not working. I see all around me the effects of the aging process, alone, without weight issues, that scare the bejeebers out of me! From wrinkles to Alzheimers and everything in between: I don't want any of it! But if there are measures that I can take to at least slow the process, or at least make it smoother... I'm willing to try. Why is aging more of an effective motivator than weight/weight related issues? I don't know, but I'm just gonna go with it!

Can't stay long here, I'm in serious need of another layer of aloe to cool my crispy, fried skin! DH and I spent Friday on the beach, no problem, decided that today would be another grand day, and it was. I'm very diligent <usually> about sunscreen and my aging (see above) skin. Note to self: Don't wait til you get to the beach to put the sunscreen on, if you're going to drive with the top down! Sooooo red!

Hoping everyone had a great weekend! Happy Canada Day! Happy Independence Day! Happy Summer!

PS..Thanks again, for the wake up call, Wildfire, gonna make some adjustments here and now!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #208  

Post Living life

My brother's wife died at 4 Thursday morning. It wasn't unexpected -- she'd been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in the fall and had been terribly sick with too-long undiagnosed gall bladder disease for a year before that.

They married on 7/7/07 for luck and she was determined to stay until their anniversary. It had gotten to the point that she told Gordie that she was ready to go and he just wanted her suffering to be over. On the 7th, he took her pink roses and a pink teddy bear and laid beside her through the night, holding her hand.

We're so sad for him. He had a very hard time making a go of it here -- couldn't seem to get a decent job, had just divorced from a horribly abusive wife. Finally, he moved west for opportunity and within months had a good job and had reconnected with this woman, who he'd met years before.

Again, there's the nudge from the universe. We never know how much life we've got left -- surely we should make the most of it.

I've done well with the prohibition on eating anywhere but at the table when I'm alone and eating when I'm not hungry. A couple of diversions but nothing serious. Speaking of serious, though, that's something I'm going to have to get. It's like I'm not summoning the will to really do the necessary. And I feel SO much better when I do. It just takes the effort to get started.

Ok -- new challenge today: No wheat, no sugar, no processed junk. I'm planning for two pauses. Next weekend I turn 55 and I'll be having a drink or two at party on Saturday (plus my Mom's fabulous chocolate raspberry cake) and intend to make DH either take me out to dinner Sunday or serve me lobster on the deck. Where I might like to have a glass of wine. I'm going to try very hard to get 21 days. This is Day 1.

To get there I'm going to attempt to do all those things that help: tai chi, yoga, meditation, listening to the self-hypnosis audio (apparently just downloading doesn't do the trick?).

I have been going to early morning tai chi, and that really starts the morning off well. But work has been brutal. I know, what's new. I need to take more breaks, remember that i am allowed to step away from the computer. Too often, flex time means that I'm in the office at 5:30 a.m., in the office at 8 p.m. and there pretty much 9-5 as well. And my chi's wearing off by about 11. And I get to the end of the day and feel like a drone. I resolve to change!

Hot and humid here, for here. I know we don't set world records. No AC, though, and a humidex of 95 so I reserve the right to whine.

Actually, I don't mind it a bit except for working physically or sleeping. However, both of those figure into my usual day to day. I skipped vacuuming and tidying yesterday and hit the beach with DS and DGS. We hit the incoming jellyfish tide and the sand wind was exfoliating but we had fun anyway.

Wildfire, how nice to see you in the Palace! Yes, let's do this thing!

Eydie, thanks for the reminder -- yes, pretty much at the half-way mark. Goals are attainable -- let's set our aims!

Hey Kat! Happy belated Up for an anti-inflammatory challenge?

WSW, Anagram, Amarantha, hope things are good in your corners of the palace.

Going shortly, as soon as I finish message and Then yoga and the vacuuming and tidying I didn't do yesterday.

Let's make this a good one, lies!

Last edited by Arabella; 07-10-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #209  
deleted2

Oh Arabella, so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. Wishing your brother peace and the knowing that love is never lost.

Every day is a gift! Let's be ready to accept it!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #210  

Thumbs up So, Day 2

Et il pleut. Still warmish and very damp but was a bit cooler last night to sleep.

Day 1 was a triumph, although I had to fight myself. Mid-afternoon I thought to myself: Maybe I'll just have a single gin and tonic this evening. And then I remembered I'd decided not to. Struggled briefly, was cranky with self, and then got on with righteous behavior.

I finally got through to my brother last night -- there's been some kind of a weird phone screw-up: every time I called, I got a message saying his number was out of service. Everyone else was able to get through. Finally, though, made the connection and we had a good chat. He sounds pretty good, says he's coming home for a visit ASAP. It's been four years since he's been here.

I PM'd our dear Kaylets the other day. It's been a very long time since she's popped in. Haven't heard back but sending

Eydie, you're so right. Every day IS a gift -- and one of a limited number. Let's LIVE them!

"Love is never lost" -- beautiful, and true. Nothing is ever lost...

So... another of my TO purchases was a lightweight umbrella. 'Spect we'll have our Sunday breakfast and then head out to give it a good test.

Sending love to all lies, wherever they are. Let's take this day we've been given and make it count!

Last edited by Arabella; 07-11-2010 at 08:25 AM.