Old 11-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #301  

How was your concert, Wood Nymph? In rehersal now for Messiah?

Yep, I remember teen angst - my life sure improved. But as you say, they can't see it. Both were apparently talented and seemingly happy kids. Maybe sometimes, it can be better when teens do act out (or up).

Still plagued by tech difficulties (both kinds). Picked up script today, will start taking prednisone again on Monday if all tests are negative as I think they will be. Have been fighting taking it because of wt. gain but....... We'll see. Have actually been at 199.6 and (today) 199.8 but was going to wait until I felt more secure (giving my up and down history). If I start pred on Monday - well..........

Of course, I'd get more done....Lovely here today and will plan on a walk after lunch. Supposed to get to a more Nov. normal on Monday. Bro coming next week so should be fun. Did a little cooking binge yesterday to give me a tiny head start re uncertainties of meals during his visit and kids the following week. Might do something more today - MIGHT!!!!

The digging out and throwing out has slowed down a lot lately. I do SOMETHING alost every day but it's still only a little here and there. Still, it's starting to add up.

Well, off I go to think about lunch. Fortunately coming bro is a pretty healthy eater - of course (like all in my family) has battled weight forever. Sigh..........
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #302  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default The Sunday Palace

here, if cooler than it's been. I've laundered the sheets and line-dried. Tonight the bed will smell like heaven.

Oh, I am on vacation till a week from Tuesday! Almost giddy with it. Planning carefully to fill in just enough fun, just enough accomplishment and just enough relaxation.

Anagram, as you say, a little every day adds up. I'm trying to get into the mindset of trashing/recycling/putting in right place when my eyes light on something that calls for it.

The concert was okay, I think. Hard to tell when you're in the middle of it. I heard the choir practicing as I arrived, though, and they sounded wonderful -- thought it must be a recording. And, yes, on to TM now. Three weeks to practice... Yikes!

WSW, hope your energy is returning! There's nothing much worse than feeling too dragged out to do things.

Hope all lies are well and happy this day.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #303  

Thumbs up A little inspiration

Good morning! We were below freezing this morning, but there DH and I went for a 4-miler as the sun was just starting to color the horizon and stars still shining in the sky. The harbour is so beautiful. And now I'm home with the exercise under my belt and the day off ahead of me. Will do some raking of leaves, a little house tidying, practicing. And thinking now -- will make sure to meditate and get in some FUN!

Lyn, who writes Escape from Obesity, had an especially inspiring post the other day about making a plan for getting through the holidays. She has such a great perspective. I'm excerpting here but her blog is very worthwhile reading:

Working hard for 50 days to eat right is a lot to ask. So instead, how many days can you spare out of that 50 to make your life better?

Can you spare 40? How about 25? 10? Let's make a plan! Write it out!
I will eat healthy foods and work to lose weight on ___ days out of 50.
I will eat junk and gain weight on the remaining ____ days out of 50.
I am worth a ___ percent effort. (Take the first number and divide it by 50 to get your percent).

Well, looking at it that way kind of ruins that plan to eat crap all through Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years, doesn't it? It's hard to admit you think you're only worth a 20% or 50% effort, but when we make those choices, that's what we're saying.

Aren't you worth 90%? Or 100%?

I mean, no one's perfect, but giving it our best effort *does* get the best results.

We each have the same 50 days til 2011. I am not a fortune teller. Maybe I will weigh 175 or more on that day. But I would wager not. I am working hard to reach my goals. Unless I flip out and binge, I should weigh 160 or less by then. How about you?

What would you *like* to weigh on January first?

Work towards that. Starting now. Don't spend seven weeks waiting for the Magic New Year to resolve to take care of you. Because if you do that, you may as well tack 10 or 15, maybe 20 pounds onto whatever you weigh right now instead of subtracting 10 or 15. Think about it.

If I work hard at losing weight, I might weigh _____ on January first. (Subtract 10 or 15 pounds from your current weight).
If I wait, and indulge instead, I might weigh ____ on January first. (Add 10 or 15 pounds to your current weight).

Seriously. Write it on a piece of paper. Think it over.

And then decide. (Here's a link to that full post)

Interesting to think about it that way but I've certainly seen both scenarios play out. Soooo... I filled it out. Decided that I'd work hard 48 out of 50 days. Two days reserved for just not worrying about it.

Let's make this a good one!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #304  
wsw

anagram-that is so very sad about the two teens! it sure is hard to know at a tender age that things won't always remain as hard as they may feel at a given time.

hope both types of technical difficulties improve for you a.s.a.p! i hate it whenever i have to take prednisone too, so believe me, i sympathize.

have fun with bro in town!

arabella- i hope you are enjoying your vacation! fun and relaxation are a must. the description of the harbor during your 4 miler this morning sounds beautiful.

the blog/post you mentioned was very interesting, and really resonated with me.

my portions were not dainty enough today, but will be so tomorrow. funny how easily i can justify feeling dragged out with the notion that somehow eating more will give me more energy. well, thinking of all our dear royals.
wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #305  

Choir practice was SO much fun last night -- just wonderful to know the music and feel confident enough to sing right out. I've made a list of things I'd like to accomplish this week. And, of course, acknowledge that it IS only a week.

So there are leaves waiting for me in the back yard... Fun/exercise gets a combo today -- going to Zumba with my sister. I'll report back on how it was.

WSW, fatigue makes everything SO hard. Takes away our ability to focus, makes us feel like we need food for energy or a treat. So often for me it's been almost automatic -- I'll be working, thinking how tired I am. What I should do is take a break but I don't and about 20 minutes later I'm going through the cupboards. I resolve, once more, to try to rest when I'm tired and look elsewhere for my treats.

Let's make this a good one!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #306  
wsw

arabella, glad choir practice was so much fun the other night.

we had beautiful, warm weather here yesterday, and what a treat that was. enjoyed being able to get out among 'em and do a few errands.

have a couple appointments today, and must get going. back to daintier portions again, and that is feeling much more like it. well, greetings to all royals, near and far.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #307  

Hi, lies - Oh, I do love your harbor, Wood Nymph.

Hi, wsw - I have managed (somehow) to get to a different place w/o the prednisone. Feel much more like myself but it was a hard, long effort and not sure it was worth it to skip the pills.

I have however seen more ones than twos on the scale this past week. But went bananas the last two days. Bro is here and what a treat!!! He's off visiting other sis at the moment and will leave me tomorrow but we've already had some really good talks.

SIL and niece were here (from Arkansas) yesterdaytoo - for lunch. Just too much food in my house at the moment. And will be the case all next week too. Tummy upset though and I think my body is telling me something - if only I'd be smart enough to listen.

Gorgeous outside (a little nippy) - must go breathe in some fresh air and clear out the foggy head.

Enjoy that great vacation, Arabella - have a fun weekend too, wsw.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #308  

This is for you, WN. I loved it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU
Old 11-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #309  

L'il Bro has left me - sob. Nice, nice visit. BIL in hospital - chemo side effects.

Turning my thoughts now to Thanksgiving and all of that ;0 One little thing at a time and I'll get there.

So fallish again today - another walk this afternoon, hopefully. Barely in the ones today but still. Now if I can stop pigging out a bit. I've frozen most of the leftovers from bro visit into very small portions so that should help.

Great weekend, all.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #310  

Immersed in Thanksgiving logistics. Enjoying it so far
Old 11-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #311  

Back again. I overbooked myself over my week and then ended up just vegetating otherwise, when I'd intended to pamper myself properly. Ate too much, watched too much TV.

Back to looking after myself, though. DH and I had a long walk along a trail. Now some work -- and then a nice soak in the tub.

Anagram, I loved that flash performance ... wonder if I could talk choir into doing something similar? I'm glad you had such a good time with your brother. Time with our loved ones is the most precious thing.

WSW, I'm with you on those daintier portions. After all, a doesn't chow down. Nice that you had a weather reprieve. We had a big enough snowfall on Saturday that everything looked Christmassy. Not quite ready for that yet.

K, Lovelies, let's make this a good one!

Oh and.... to my dear American Queenlies!

Last edited by Arabella; 11-24-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #312  

Paying the holiday price a little but feeling good and hoping to be back where I was soon.

It's also getting to the end of the year 2010 and I'm assessing how I've fared in the "Treating Ourselves...." category. I think I've done fairly well with improving that. e.g., a mani-pedi again this week. I bid on some again and so will be getting both for about $25 for the next few months. Also bid on another nail service at another place and will have that cover pedis for the next months afterwards. AND - a longtime goal - I will be getting a facial - and via bid got that for half price too. Must schedule soon.

Hoping to get in a walk today after tai chi - might be in a big store though.

Wasn't that a great singout, Arabella? Would loved to have been there. Are you back on track? You usually have such great holiday behavior tips.

Wsw, thinking of you and hope your "technical diffs" aren't too severe. Been cold and rainy here but I'm past the flare apparently and w/o pred but don't think I'll be so mean to me again.

Heading to Princessville tomorrow for at least two of the Nutcrackers that P10 will be doing. Larger role this year. May also be requested to go to some next weekend as well. Cuts into holiday prep time but they're young such a short time.

Hoping all is well with the abovementioned s and all unmentioned as well as any considering speaking to us.

Will be time soon to start new 2011 thread.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #313  

Smile Dress rehearsal today

Final rehearsal for the Messiah today. It's not going to be on the actual stage where the concert is this year, though, which is too bad. But one has to accept these things. I guess.

Just checked out my outfit for the performance and the skirt fits okay -- snuggish, though, and was almost too loose the last time I wore it a year or so ago. Anyway, it's wearable, which is the main thing. And I do have a pretty new ruffled blouse to wear that is more flattering than its predecessors.

I'm back on track at long last, with a little more than a week under my belt and weight just about at ticker. My new perspective is gratitude that I don't have to overeat and be miserable any more. Gratitude that, in conjunction with that change and exercise, I don't have to ever worry about my weight again. It will just subside.

Anagram, good going on the mani-pedis! I really should just schedule some because I don't seem to have the patience/ability to give myself a really good pedi. Does get harder with age, does it not. Although I keep telling myself that with enough yoga I'll be able to get myself in the right position to be able to see properly and get the polish on straight. Yeah, maybe I should just schedule an appointment...

Re: self-care -- I didn't do as well as I might have but intend to try again. So much of it is just taking the time. I'm worth it!

K, I'd best scoot! Have a lovely weekend!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #314  

Someone sent me another link to a flashmob of Handel in a food court. How come I'm never lucky enough to be in the right place/right time? What a Joy. the looks on people's faces (esp. the wee ones) is so great.

Hope dress rehersal goes well - outfit sounds lovely. I was back at 200.6 today so feeling better. How about the pedi appt as a holiday gift to you? Mine are almost a medical necessity

About ready to hit the road to Nutcrackerville. Later:

Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #315  
wsw

arabella- hope final rehearsal for messiah went well. definitely, give yourself a holiday gift of a pedicure---i'm with anagram.

anagram- glad you are past your flare now. toughing it out without prednisone sure must have been rough(er.) way to go on those mani/pedi deals. hope you will enjoy each and every one. hope you had fun in princessvile.

and hello to all our lovely queenlies!

snowed on saturday, and has been icey here since. i am already sick of winter, and it has just begun. granted, the first snowfall was pretty, and even i appreciated that, but i could be just fine now if it magically turned back to mild temps and stayed that way all winter. ah well, enough of fantasy.

hadn't done much at all recently (socially), but this week is very (pleasantly) busy. just wish it weren't so miserably cold, though. trying to stick to my dainty portions, but not as successful as i would have liked to have been in the past 3 days. back on track today. well, hope a good evening is had by one and all in and around the palace grounds.