Old 01-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #16  

Gayle I have a friend her father passed away the same way 15 years ago. He was first diagnosed with prostrate cancer but it spread. It sounds like your dad really suffered.
I never bothered to do a breast exam like you I left that up to Larry but really you need to do it. Please check regularly the guys are no thinking of checking for lumps.

Here is the link to Oprah's Best LIfe series. If you are struggling with weight issues you really should take the time and watch this.

http://www.oprah.com/article/seriesa...0112_sas_video
Deelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #17  

Here is my brothers last email he sent me on an update on mom.
Had a long visit with mom this afternoon. We even went to the patient lounge to watch Oprah on TV.

The oxygen supplement was removed early this morning. Again we see continued improvement. Mom went for several walks this morning and washed her own hair. With no oxygen supplement, the oxygen reading when resting was 82 and when walking and trying to breathe hard the reading was 85.

We met with Dr. O'Brien this afternoon and he explained that with mom's type of COPD, he believes that increases in carbon dioxide are not triggering increased breathing as it should and that prolonged oxygen supplement will result in her body loosing the ability to automatically increase breathing when oxygen is too low, thus he removed her oxygen today and does not plan on giving her oxygen when she leaves. (I am paraphrasing and hope that I explained this well enough). Tomorrow the doctor will determine if he thinks that mom would be able to travel on Thursday.

The doctor's recommended options in order of preference are as follows:
1) Travel by car to Ossoyoos
2) Travel by Air Canada to Winnipeg (however he doubts that Air Canada will approve her traveling on the airline)
3) Travel by car to Winnipeg (least desirable because he feels mom would become too exhausted before getting to Winnipeg)

Dad called Ossoyoos and they can give him the same room if he wants it (the room is now reserved).

I like their first option. It would be nice if they can make it for their winter vacation.
Thanks for the prayers. I believe they made a difference.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #18  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

Things are quite hectic here right now, so forgive me for not being around much this week. Tim is having some minor surgery on Friday, so we're working our behinds off trying to get as much done at work and home as we can before hand. He will be off for two weeks recovering and we hope to spend the last week of that recovery time in NC with our son, dil and the new baby. I'll check in as much as I can, but don't worry if I'm not here as much as I normally am.

Gayle and Dee, do know that I'm keeping your mothers in my prayers.

Cheryl, it's good to hear from you! I know you're busy, but I hope you can find time to check in more often.

Same goes for you Janice! I know you read every day, but we like to hear what is going on with you too...even if it is boring! :wink:
SuzyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #19  

Suzy let us know how Tim's surgery goes friday. That will be nice to go for a week visit to see the new little angel. Good timing, when she is so young. Thanks for the prayers. I will be gone in a few days so you better check in and make sure everyone is behaving.

Janice is it a big count down til you leave? Larry set up a counter on my computer that not only gives me days but hours and minutes.....lol

It is freezing here today so I am staying put. Exersise at home is a good thing too.

Shelley I wish I was in your climate right now. I am sitting in my garden room with a heat plugged in under the table to take the chill of my bones.

Gayle what's the plan for today? How many days is your salon open anyways? You always seem to be pretty busy.
Are you keeping warm? I know that your temps are usually comparable but a bit warmer.

Cheryl are you going to check in with us today? Don't wait til Jake starts walking before you post. I know that won't be long but that is too long to leave us friends hanging.

Time to get some brekie.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #20  

Actually,,,,,Jake took his first two "steps" yesterday at the babysitter's house. He was "walking" between a table and a chair. I was there, but I was talking to the sitter when he did it--her husband was all excited, though!

There's a challenge somewhere on this board, right now I have no idea where, that's a 100 pushup and 200 situp deal. It's supposed to take you from having no upper body/core strength to having enough to do 100 pushups and 200 situps in 6 weeks. It kind of reminds me of the couch25k program.

The website is http://www.hundredpushups.com

I'm going to try it. Since today is my birthday, I figure it'll give me motivation to keep going if I start it today!
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #21  
Losing it...again!

Happy Birthday Cheryl! I hope you have a wonderful day!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #22  
Janice

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR CHERYL, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
Have a super happy day.
Dee and Cheryl thanks for the websites I will check them out.
It was hard at first my Mom passing and Amanda being born but what God's plan is we never know. I think he gave me a happy occasion because of the sadness that I would be feeling. It was terrible to watch me mom's cancer spread and she never gave up hope. She would say to me "pray for me" at the end I was praying for God to take her home and end her suffering. I felt guilty for praying that way, almost like I made her die. She was 44 and I was 25. I had my first breast lump removed when I was 44. I was sure that it was the beginning of the end but it wasn't cancerous. Life is full of trials for us all.
We are counting down to the trip mostly with how many days we have left to work.
Dee - not very nice sending me that cold weather, it is minus 22 celcius today and windchill of minus 35. BRRRRRR. I watched a bit of the Oprah shows but didn't catch it all. I want to lose this weight once and for all. I feel such shame that I never get past losing some then gaining it back.

Last edited by coles; 01-14-2009 at 07:21 PM.
coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #23  

Happy Birthday Cheryl. I hope that it was a marvelous day. It looks like you got your birthday present early when Jake started to walk.

Janice I think that you are right, God gave you hope and healing through your daughter. I hope that you check you do a monthly exam. I can't imagine what you went through when you found the lump and had it removed.

Gayle where are you today?

Shelley get over here and post, we miss you. I can hardly believe that it was only a month ago that I was visiting you. I often replay my minds video of us meeting each other as we ran into each others arms. That was fabulous.

The latest on mom is that they will release her in the morning and my brother will drive them to Osoyoos, where they will spend the winter. God is a good good, he has blessed us again.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #24  
Losing it!

Dee, I'm usually there 3-4 days of the week which are full days. Usually 8:30 in the morning until 4:30-5:00. Some days I change my schedule around to pick Allie up from school if Steve can't. All of my clientel are really good to work with my schedule. Yesterday I did all of my Thursday regulars so I can take mom today to the doc.

I won't be around until tonight. Heading out the door to go pick my mommy up for her appointment. Wouldn't you know it! We had snow last night! YUCK! I'm not the bravest to drive on the stuff. See ya all later!
gdeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #25  
Losing it!

Well I'm back home but mom isn't. The doc said he could see a major decline from September and chose to admit her to the hospital. There was discussion of congestive heart failure, valves, etc. who knows until the tests are ran. I am home tonight, packing toiletries, going to the bank etc. then heading back in the morning. Steve & Allie may come up tomorrow after Allie gets out of school. I'm taking my laptop in the morning, but it depends if I'm able to connect or not. Keep us in your prayers!!!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #26  

Gayle i just read your message. My dear girl of course i will pray for your mom. I am glad that you did bring her to the doctor. I hope that they will quickly find out what is happening and treat her. {{{HUGS}}}

My mom was released from the hospital yesterday. My brother drove them to their winter destination yesterday afternoon. She was very tired but they made it. She was already looking forward to the old time music they will be playing this afternoon.

My internet was down yesterday so I didn't get to check in til this morning. I am off to the Y for my last class. I will be glad to say this is my last walk in the _40's winchill.

ttyl
Old 01-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #27  
Losing it...again!

Gayle ~ I'm sorry to hear that your mother is in the hospital, but maybe they can get to the bottom of the problem this way. My prayers continue for you and you as well.

Dee ~ I'm glad that your mother is back home and improving. I am praying that her recovery continues to go well.

Janice ~ It's freezing here too. It was -18 F (I think that's about -27 C) this morning when I got up. It is just TOO cold outside for anything!

Tim's surgery went well yesterday. He's really sore and uncomfortable today, but has pain meds that take the edge off. He has spent most of the day in his recliner next to the fire.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #28  

Suzy I am glad to hear that Tim is doing well. I know that you will take good care of him. I am sure that he is anxious to heal up so he can go see your new grandbaby.

Gayle your mom will be in my prayers until I hear that she is well. God be with you at this time. Trust in him.
I recieved my birthday card just in time yesterday. I will take it with me and open it up on the 29th. Thank you. It will probably be the only surprise that I get that day. My girlfriend will be coming down for a week but she leaves the morning of my birthday.

Shelley how are you doing? We don't hear much from you. I have my pics from Florida on my pc as a screen saver. I see the pics of us often and just remember how great of a time we had. Thanks for coming to see me.

Janice it is warming up here this weekend so it should be heading your way soon. Enjoy your trip. I hope that you get to relax and have lots of adventures.

Cheryl how is Jake making out with his walking? it is going to be so hard to keep up with him now.

My brother said that mom was doing fine but tired. His last email sounded like he was upset with mom. She hadn't smoked in 10 days and he thinks that she had a few. He gave her a stern speach but there isn't much we can do but pray that the desire will be gone. If not she won't last very long.

Well now on to better news.... Larry arrived late last night but just in time for Ashley's birthday party. We had a nice evening but he was really tired. Tonight they are having a family party at their house tonight.We will go for a short time to visit and say our good byes. I am leaving tomorrow bright and early. I am all packed and ready to go. Now it is time for a nap and to get ready to party again. I will be checking my email and the board every couple of days. Mexican internet is slow and I have to go to star bucks to be able to connect up to the internet.

I love you guys and thank you for the prayers.

xox
Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #29  

Gosh, where have I been? If you are on FB, you know where I've been! Anyway, Cheryl happy belated birthday!

Gayle-I am so sorry for all your losses. Life is so sad when everyone starts
getting up there in age.

Dee-On to PV??

Cheryl-I received the Neilson thing, but it's the wrong one. I have a digital phone line, so I can't use it. They are sending me another one that I can do online. I actually decided not to do it, but since they sent it, I'll go ahead and use it.

Hi Janice, Suzy, everyone!
ShelleyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #30  
Losing it!

Suzy, I am so sorry I missed about Tim having surgery. He is in my prayers! tell him to enjoy his mini vacation.

We are in Hays, about 2 hours away from home. Mom isscheduled to have surgery in the am. We are taking Allie back home today to stay with the other Grandma and then Steve & I will come back up. While home, I'll drop in at the shop and update the staff there. Not sure at this point when I will be able to get back to work. Moms spirits are up, she is looking better and talking a mile a minute. Something is working. Could be the 7-8 pounds of fluid removed as of this point from her body. LOL! I'll try to check in when I can. So far I am having luck finding a net connection.

Dee, stay safe & have fun!

LOVE YOU GUYS!