Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #496  

Great to see you, ceara!! Your year sounds like a fab accomplishment of a dream as well. Nice to have you home, arabella, though I enjoyed travelling w/you vicariously. Hope you get caught up on "life" soon.

Dear Kaylets - thinking of you often and praying for you both. If Mom helped in no other way, just knowing she has your back while you're at work is such a blessing. So sorry to hear all DH is going through.

wsw, I hope you're in the home stretch if not actually home.

Well, I'm hurting myself again.

Sunday 203.8
Monday 201.8
Tuesday 201.8
Wednesday 202.4

Sunday's leap was because I ate out Saturday but I was on target yesterday. Must make the effort in memory of childhood friend. Not to mention for myself.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #497  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up So we've gotten to Thursday

I don't feel as knocked out by the cold as I did earlier in the week -- life seems possible again. Huzzah! Unfortunately, I've got a ton of work to do today to make up for days when brain was glop-filled and non-functioning. But... I feel like I can do it. Now just the discipline to make myself stick at it all day.

Anagram, I expect to be caught up on life by the weekend -- or as caught up as I ever get Got to get practicing for the Messiah! And then we'll be into the mad whirl of Christmas.

Ceara, congrats on your star! The travel around the U.S. must have been fun. I'd love to get a chance to travel more down there some day.

Kaylets, keeping you and yours in thoughts and prayers, sending good energy.

K, Lovelies, enough talk... time to hit the decks. Let's make this a good one!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #498  

202.4 again today. Bleah! And as Arabella mentioned, the whirl of Christmas cometh.

Love hearing of youir Messiah practices, etc. too.

Hit some great sales yesterday and did a little Christmas prep in that direction. Mostly working on Thanksgiving right now. Both kiddos and all family members expected so it's a full house weekend. And as always, they have all sorts of other plans as well and I plan on recuperating the next week. Waiting for new windows to be scheduled too but at this point, that will not be until after Thanksgiving. (If then, being told November might mean NEXT November )

Rainy today but only mildly so - life seems good today - still busy but less harried so I want to relax and enjoy that as it probably won't last too long.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #499  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Yes, it is coming. Of course you guys get your Thanksgiving in the midst of it all....I am so glad ours is earlier. And I was away Oct 31, so no candy for me then!

Have been trying to stick to my guns here...same old. Was walking at dark o'clock this morning...with a big stick. It is very dark here!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #500  

Smile Friday!

Weighed in up a pound from last week. I WILL get this thing in hand -- there's no way I'm going back up the scale. I wish I hadn't stopped weighing myself over the summer but ... you know, if wishes were horses and all that. Must accept where I am and move on.

And I am so profoundly grateful to have some energy again and the capacity to be excited about life. Yesterday was a pretty good day, despite heavy workload. I vacuumed between writing tasks, did laundry, made soup. Managed to get out for a walk in the sunshine. Still have some cold symptoms but am not incapacitated, huzzah. With the Messiah two weeks from Sunday, I'm v. happy that this is a fast-moving cold.

This is looking like a busy weekend -- tonight there's a birthday party for four November birthdays in the extended fam. Tomorrow evening there's a gallery crawl. Trying to decide whether to have DSIL & DBIL for dinner afterwards or go out. If I can think of something easy... DH has promised to help. Then Sunday afternoon there's a symphony performance and I've got to get my review in before 9 a.m. on Monday. Whew!!!

BUT -- I'm getting a long weekend next week because of working with Americans. Ahhhhhhhh!

Anagram, your Thanksgiving weekend sounds so fun! I've always imagined doing something like that. I've got this fantasy about renting a huge house for fam. to spend several days around Christmas together, hang out in P.J.s, play games, get a chance to catch up. When I'm wealthy, will definitely do that. To this point DS has always been here for Christmas eve, the last two with his GF.

Hope you get your new windows. My dream is to actually get ours cleaned before winter sets in.

Ceara, yes, we're back to dark. Seems a little sudden, doesn't it. But I love being out by myself in the quiet dark, just me and the stars. I miss being out in the dark in the summer -- we go to bed so freakin' early. But that'll change once we're off our work hamster wheels.

WSW, I hope that you're back home and that things are going okay.

Kaylets, I've been meaning to mention (not sure if I have but just in case I forgot) -- there's a distant healing network of volunteers that you can request help from.

In fact, DHN is great support for anyone with any type of problem or issue, whether physical or whatever.

All right, all you best and brightest of s. Let's take this day we've been given and make the most of it!

Last edited by Arabella; 11-20-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #501  

So good to have you back, arabella (I know I've said that before but it is SO true).

Your yesterday sounds like you've indeed recouped energy and enthusiasm. I'm in need of more enthusiasm lately as well.

ceara, I too wish our Thanksgiving were earlier. It is in grave danger of being lost in the commercial rush. And it is the one time a year (barring weddings, funerals) that I do get all my nuclear family here at the same time. Piddling little group that we are (7). I'm from such a big clan but as all have aged and moved away, etc. I'm down to usually the seven and that's probably a good thing as sometimes it's all I can handle - the comings and goings in the one weekend leave me spinning. I do get a lot of Princess time though and they LOVE the whole family thing.

Yeah, verily on the dark thing. I love to pop out to get the paper in the wee minutes as dawn is thinking about it all. And I'm able to be out and about a lot in the daytime and make sure that I get some of that in every day.

201.6 this a.m. so happier. Strange thing is I ate out last night and that usually means an 'UP'. However, I'm not complaining - just determined (as arabella) NOT to zoom up again.

Went to a community college class three weeks ago, sat on a high stool at the coffeehouse locale, and have been having back problems ever since. Finally made dr. appt. for Monday. I figure making the call will make it all go away (I hope anyway).

So off to tai chi today in booful sunshine and then on to another grocery run. Still trying to decide whether a whole turkey or a turkey breast. No one of we seven eat dark meat. Decisions, decisions.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #502  

201.6 again this sunny morning! Hope to get a walk in once I get a few of the mundane things out of the way.

Gaining on the T'giving planning. Tempted to go shopping for gifts but I think I'll save that for a day when it's a bit more nasty outside. 'nuff to do here and around and about.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #503  

Thanks, Anagram -- the Palace is such a home to me. I am v. happy to be here.

I think there's been a worldwide conspiracy this year to move Christmas up. I saw decorations going up in some places before Halloween. Oy! And it was the same everywhere we were. I heard they lit the tree in Rockefeller Center weeks ahead of the usual time. Trying to stimulate the economy, no doubt, but they could kill the golden goose if everyone gets bored with the festive season.

Well. I'm feeling a bit the worse for wear today, between the dregs of the cold and, um, possibly trying to do too much. Nevertheless. Onward. It'll be great to get four days next weekend, more or less and I'll attempt to look after myself in the meantime.

Went for a little run through the woods and will be walking again this evening. Putting together a simple casserole dish for dinner, w. salad, a bought pie for dessert and veggies and dip as an app. But probably should have elected to go out, given the busy-ness of this weekend. Oh well.

Hope all lies have a wonderful weekend. Love to all, mentioned or un-.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #504  
the sword bearer

Mornin' all!

Have been for a walk and am off shortly to church. Then this afternoon I am touring houses decorated for Christmas, maybe that will inspire me!

Spent yesterday on the couch, am fighting a cold! Darn it!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #505  

Smile It begins...

Okay -- I'm officially entering into the merry festive whirl.

The gallery crawl was fun last night and a treat to be out walking from place to place downtown with DH, DSIL & DBIL. Not too too cold and the lights were pretty. Mulled cider and/or wine on offer in each galleries and such beautiful stuff -- some glorious jewelry And got a chance to see friends along the way, have a chat. It really felt very celebratory. Then we came back here and had a lovely dinner, a nice long relaxed one. It was pleasant to have just the four of us there.

DSIS' hair is growing back. Quite short yet but it looks like it's got lovely texture and body. Unfortunately, when she was shopping the other day she overheard a kid say "Mummy, that lady looks like a daddy!" And she really is quite sensitive. So last night she wore a big hat. In any case, she still seems quite well and is slated to start easing back into work in a couple of weeks.

We've got DH's staff party on the weekend. The week after will be my Mom's birthday, the Messiah, then writing group party, our family party, DH's birthday, Christmas Eve party, Christmas day party, New Year's Eve/anniversary... yes, it begins.

Soooooo... I'm going to have to get more serious about this weight loss thing. I'd like to do that! Will come up with a plan.

Ceara, hope you're taking the zinc/vit c lozenges. They really seem to help shorten duration and lessen severity. Feel better soon!

Okey-doke. I must have my bath and then get back to writing the symphony review. Here's how on top of things I am today: the performance is in 2 hours' time. But review's due before 9 tomorrow morning because date's so close to publication. I resolve to have review finished this evening.

So, my dears, have a wonderful Sunday. Let's get ready to hit Fresh Start Monday with gusto!

Last edited by Arabella; 11-22-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #506  
the sword bearer

Yes those lozenges are a staple for me in cold treatment. I looked at the cold fx and thought It seems to be a suppliment...and since I do take enough already, why be out of pocket so much money?

Yesterday was fun....I don't know if I could live in some of those houses...too big, but they were nice to look at.

Off for a walk!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #507  

Thumbs up Fresh Start Monday

And I can use it! I haven't been off the rails, not at all. But not doing enough to lose weight. Apparently And, since I'm going to have to exert some control, I might as well apply enough to lose weight rather than just not gain, wouldn't you think?

I enjoyed the performance yesterday -- "Mendelssohn Magic" and -- more magic -- actually managed to get my review submitted on time. I would like to have worked on it a bit more but you can only do so much in so much time. 'Twas okay.

Tonight's choir practice. Still not totally recovered from the cold but good enough to go, I think. I'll drink lots of ginger tea today. There won't be more than 4 or 5 practices now before the event.

Ceara, I've had more success with the zinc lozenges than Cold FX and they're SO much cheaper. Although I was pretty steamed when I got the Life brand ones and found when I got them home (and could actually read the package) that they had the wrong kind of zinc, so were pretty ineffectual. Grrr! Hope you feel better soon.

K, Lovelies, let's hit it this week!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #508  

201.2 today. Don't deserve it. Was naughty. Will answer more later. Sort of bummed out as my kidlings seem to be spatting a bit and this doesn't do a few days before they get here. Nothing major - as far as I'm concerned - but it does not help my mood - which was great before I was cc'd on their emails.

Off to doctor today for my back which has been aggravating me the last three weeks. What's my hurry?

Last edited by anagram; 11-23-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #509  
the sword bearer

Which zinc is the good one? I use the Jamieson ones...

The cold is abated, still a bit stuffily in the head, but I think I will try and NOT take daytime medication...it makes my eyes go buggily and I see oddly. Very distracting. Missed walking Saturday but have continued daily since then. Clothes are a bit looser, and I feel better.

OK...off to groom!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #510  

Default Grrrrrrrr!!!

What a frustrating day I'm having! Technical issues with work applications/ computer so that I haven't been able to get a tap of work done ALL DAY but have had to be at the computer anyway. Fortunately, I've got a new commitment to sticking to plan or I'm sure I'd be nose down in the feed bag. Chocolate will fix the issue, surely?

Had a weird little binge yesterday afternoon -- it was like I forced myself. I don't want to go there again. What's the point in being naughty if it's no fun?

Anagram, hope you get some help for your back! Could you ask kidlets to spare you the spatting? That's the last thing a mom needs!

Ceara, the Jameson's ones would be good. Zinc gluconate is what you need. You can pretty much tell they're working or not by the pervasive taste that seems to get lodged in your tissues. Seems to be part and parcel.

Oh crap, I've got to go do more battle w. computer...

Closed Thread