Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #346  

Well, howdy Eydie and all other Royal Ones. Finally got some of the problems with computer fixed - one still remains but I seem to have figured out how to get around it some/most of the time until I get more figured out.

Did a quick scan and have lots of personal comments but will hold off for now as computer seems to be still a little odd and I'd rather get some out than none

The Elderhostel week was all I could have asked for. I had an absolute ball and will likely do another but not until next year.

Helping Dear Sis w/baby shower tomorrow and all ready but want to really get a good night's sleep tonight. DD and the Princesses will be coming up for the shower and staying until Wednesday or so.

This computer is still not behaving well so I'm going too get this off while the getting's good.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #347  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up Sunday in the Summer Palace

day here, not hot but warm enough for all intents and purposes. We did our Sunday morning 5-miler and I did my yoga. I made some spur-of-the moment oat flour biscuits with whole oats & ground flax -- so good, esp. with honey and cinnamon.

I rediscovered a quite nice little beach 10 minutes from my house! It's not as spectacular as our north shore beaches but still quite lovely. I'd had vague memories of there being one but never came across it in the last 25 or so years. Not a huge expanse of sand -- it's in a cove. But some beach to lay on, a firm and sandy bottom, lovely warm water and gets deep enough without any major drop-off. I went twice last week, once taking off from work at high tide and returning, refreshed, 40 minutes later. And on Thursday going with a sister for a lovely long visit. Playing in the water, floating, chatting. We grew up along the shore and spent a lot of time there. Very nice to reconnect there. May manage to drag DH over there this afternoon and may go on my own if not. The fact that it's 10 minutes away is pretty compelling.

Eydie! Always so nice to see you. I bet you look PERFECT!

Anagram, enjoying your "absolute ball" vicariously. How wonderful when we do these things and they turn out so well! I remember when you were speculating about elderhostels. Did this one have a particular focus?

WSW, congrats on the blouses! I think we probably all do that with clothes -- I certainly do. I'll start trying things on when you'd think there's no hope at all... pants that I can't pull up, etc. You're the Palace poster girl for success, you know.

There we go again -- also love decorating. I could pore over decor magazines for hours, feasting my eyes and getting inspiration. We're looking at having our downstairs bathroom done. It is v. sadly in need.

Kat, you reminded me I need to figure out something to do with this bok choy that I got. Looks like stir fry is the thing, maybe with garlic and ginger... I love the sound of your outings with DH. Been quite a lot of that sort of thing lately, hasn't there? I'm smelling romance -- which is pretty great for a long-married couple.

K, lovelies, I must go relax. I'm tired! Maybe I'll rest up for the beach. Have a wonderful Sunday, all!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #348  

Oh, forgot to say that I was asked to guest post on a UK site about grammar. I decided to write about myself abuse -- so many businessmen say, for example, "Call John or myself if you have any questions" instead of "Call John or me..." Drives me mad.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #349  

Morning, Dear Royals. Princess Nine turned nine this a.m. and we had "Moosh Cake" (her request - it's basiclly graham crackers and whipped cream) at breakfast. They're all off now to celebrate at an amusement park and don't plan to be home until they're dropping. I'm dropping already So much young energy wears me out.

Shower on Sunday went well. DearSis is resting on her laurels and I too by extension. Tomorrow DD and princesses and I go to summer theater to see The King and I and then they head home. And I head into my annual "hay fever seclusion" also known as my vacation.

Arabella, the course covered three subjects - Religion and politics in America, Controversies in Psychology (basically how to spot phonies) and Genetics of Aging. All interesting - the first more so to me. Can't say I got a lot "new" (except maybe in genetics) but still interesting. I could have been a perennial student esp. when you don't have homework and grades.

I'm inspired by you all and am plotting my everyday changes (or getting back to same) and just hanging on on the sidelines right now.

Will check out your "myself" article too, A. Hate it as well. But I'd have to do one called "If I only knew where to put my Onlys" The misplacement of "only" is my pet peeve du jour. Sometimes people can figure out what is ACTUALLY meant but other times it makes some statements so laughable. Particularly galling at the moment is an ad by a law firm - they should certainly know better.

Well, shower time (10:20 a.m.) and then a load of towels and then lunch (salad). Then a leisurely afternoon - they took off leaving my car blocked in by one of theirs so I'm making lemonade and making light use of my at-home day.

Ta-Ta -.............
Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #350  
a work in progress...

I loved your article, Arabella! I am a bit of a grammar guru myself! (uh oh, did I do that right?) I hate when people use "good" instead of "well," mix up their apostrophes/ies for indicating possessives and plurals, oh... what else? There are just so many cringe-worthy grammar gaffs! I love that I could see your personality and the twinkle in your eye shining through your words!

Anagram... Moosh cake for brekkie?? You are MY kind of grandma!

This is a quickie... I'm on my way out of work... yay for O.T. !!!

See y'all later!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #351  

Thumbs up Good morning, Queenly folk!

Cool and morn here but going to be hot (nicely, though, not overwhelming) later. I'm taking a light work day today and tomorrow and will try to strike a balance between trying to get everything done and relaxing. I'm thinking this will be a good day to take my beloved DGS (and maybe his pal) to the beach.

I really need a vacation and am not going to get one so will have to deal with it and try to build space into my days. And some sweet day I'll actually get a stretch of time to regroup properly. House on the shore, no job, summer. Some sweeeeet day...

In the meantime, I feel like I've got to pull myself out of this rut, which is getting increasingly uncomfortable. I guess that's how we get ourselves out of them, huh, when they start to pinch too much. Funny having my Royal friends comment on my ventures and adventures when I feel like I'm so bogged down and needing to bust out...

Anagram, The King and I sounds like fun -- esp. with princess involvement. I'm with you on that student thing -- learning is so exciting and enlivening. Oh, my -- the "only" issue. Dear, dear... what a toughie you picked. There's almost never a distinction made these days and, as you say, you can completely subvert your intended meaning. I'm going to have to think up some good, funny examples and do a piece on it. (May I use your title?)

Kat, fear not -- grammar, spelling and etc. are all cut a bit of slack for forum writing. Else I'd be paralyzed and never get a word out. Yeah, using apostrophes to pluralize is one of my other pet peeves. There are whole blogs devoted to mocking apostrophe abuse in public signage.

K, lies, I'd best be off and trotting through the woods if I'm going to get the benefit of this glorious day. Let's make this a good one!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #352  
deleted2

I loved your article too, Arabella--just read it. I've seen possessive apostrophes used so much here in the South all my life that I have to think about it when I write for fear that I'll do it wrong. Picture "pinto bean's" and "corn bread muffin's" on a menu here in my neck of the woods. And would you like a "toss salad" with that? It's maddening and kind of endearing at the same time.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #353  

Ohhhh, I don't have to go that far to see that. Toss salad -- ugh. Of course, I prefer "Ceaser" salad anyway. And how about "old fashion" can ham? Gah!

Oh, and how about the fact that they're just as likely to throw quotation marks around anything for emphasis? I love The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #354  
wsw

kat-that is so neat that you and dh are biking together. it sounds like great fun! i really love hearing about your outings with dh.

anagram- very glad to hear that you had a grand time at elderhostel! "moosh cake" for breakfast for princess nine's birthday does sound very cool.

arabella-how delightful to have a beach only 10 minutes away! another ditto here for loving your article. poor grammar drives me mad too. of course, at one time, and much too long ago, my grammar and spelling used to be pretty good. hope your trot through the woods today was lovely.

hi to eydie, kaylets, and all our dear royals.

after miserable heat in the earlier part of the week, today was so much less humid, and what a difference that makes. have gotten most necessary errands done this week, plus more of that dreaded paperwork. rented a few movies, too, which i enjoyed, and saw "julie and julia," which i liked. well, i hope everyone is having a good evening. take care.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:11 AM   #355  

Thumbs up Doing the work

Good morning, Lovelies!

I'm becoming aware that I've got stuff to work through. Going through one of those tired and achy times and having a few problematic afternoons (Read: binges). So... I know I'm not giving myself what I need -- rest, for example. It's like I can't give myself permission to just go lie down or sit on the couch with a cup of tea and a book but then 10 minutes later I'm stuffing my face and taking the time anyway. I've got to learn to listen to the first message, generally "I'm so tired." And deal with it appropriately. Because when I don't, it's like clockwork -- cogs in motion and I'll have the impulse to eat within minutes.

We've got a hot day coming up. We woke up around 4 so it's nice and cool now. I'll close the windows and shades when it starts to warm up. And I WILL get to the beach today. Didn't make it yesterday but got a start on other stuff.

WSW, me too... I used to be a world-class speller but now I seem to have to stop and check spelling pretty often. I've been getting a much firmer grasp on grammar, though, since I started doing the grammar blog for work.

K, time to chug and get out to the gym with DH Have a fabulous day, all you best and brightest of s!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #356  
wsw

arabella-what you said about struggling with listening to the messages our bodies give us regarding what we need, and how hard it can be, at times, to follow through sure resonated with me big time. i am very much a work in progress in that area. sometimes, when i am able to listen and then follow through on what i actually need, it feels so much better.

hope you were able to get to the beach ysterday.

checked out your grammar blog. i really enjoy it!

had a nsv today. got together with a friend today, and she took a picture of me with her cell phone (which will come up with my phone number.) normally, i would just beg to not have my picture taken. although i felt uncomfortable, i didn't protest. she showed me the picture (which i wasn't so sure i wanted to look at), and i not only didn't cringe, but thought it looked pretty good, in fact. my reaction was such a pleasant surprise.

it was a pleasure getting together with my friend today. we visited non-stop through lunch, and 4 hours later, we couldn't believe how much time had gone by. it is so rare to get the chance to have such a nice long, relaxing visit.

well, i hope everyone is having a pleasant evening. thinking of you all, dear queenlies. take care.

Last edited by wsw; 08-15-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #357  

Fly-by

Here's a list of ways to keep self amused:

1. At Lunch Time, Sit In Your Parked Car With Sunglasses on and point a Hair Dryer At Passing Cars. See If They Slow Down.

2. Page Yourself Over The Intercom. Don't Disguise Your Voice!

3. Every Time Someone Asks You To Do Something, ask If They Want Fries with that.

4. Put Decaf In The Coffee Maker For 3 Weeks. Once Everyone has Gotten Over Their Caffeine Addictions, Switch to Espresso.

5. In the Memo Field Of All Your Checks, Write ' For Marijuana.

6. Skip down the hall Rather Than Walk and see how many looks you get.

7 Order a Diet Water whenever you go out to eat, with a serious face.

8. Specify That Your Drive-through Order Is 'To Go'.

9. Sing Along At The Opera.

10. Five Days In Advance, Tell Your Friends You Can't Attend Their Party Because You have a headache.

11. When The Money Comes Out The ATM, Scream 'I Won! I Won!'

12. When Leaving the Zoo, Start Running towards the Parking lot, Yelling 'Run For Your Lives! They're Loose!'

13. Tell Your Children Over Dinner, 'Due To The Economy, We Are Going To Have To Let One Of You Go.'

14. PICK UP A BOX OF CONDOMS AT THE PHARMACY, GO TO THE COUNTER AND ASK WERE THE FITTING ROOM IS.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #358  
a work in progress...

Arabella, I am definitely going with #13! Probably will use on the boy...now that he's home, food is NOT lasting as long as it did all summer!

Happy Monday, all! I'm off today because our new doors are being installed. We replaced the front and back doors and the storm doors, the door that leads from the family room to the garage and our son's bedroom door. Lots of activity around here, so I'm grounded. I've been puttering outside for most of the day; did some gardening, watering, picked an armful of tomatoes, fed the birds, scooped dog poop... and sweated like crazy! It is HOT out there! A nice hot, not humid at all, but definitely up around 90! *pant, pant* DH and son went and cleaned out our storage shed, (one of those 'rent a garage' type units) dumped much of it on the front lawn, then left for about the third or fourth trip to Lowe's today. They SWORE it will all be put away as soon as the door guys leave. I know how that goes, so I just got my little wheelbarrow out and made about 6 trips to the backyard... and now i feel much better! Now I'm cooling off inside, with the lovely AC blasting.

I'm still suffering from a lovely case of poison ivy that I picked up last week, after tackling a particularly weedy area... I never saw it coming! About two days later, the bumps started popping up, and the itch! Oh Lord, THE ITCH! It's mostly on my forearms and wrists, with some right on my left 4th finger... I haven't worn my rings in days. I look like some refugee from a leper colony. I just keep spraying the calamine and remarking to myself, "yes! It looks much better today!"

wsw... what a lovely nsv! That is HUGE: actually liking a picture of yourself? Bravo! All your hard work is really paying off lately, isn't it? All these delightful surprises with blouses and pictures! Good for you! Sounds like a nice day was had with your friend, too!

Arabella, I had a fine time perusing the blog of unnecessary quotation marks... and several others I came across there! I think I've found a new, fun "time waster!"

Uh oh, time's up here... the boys are back and I think I'd better go assist... much as I'd rather stay heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere. *whine*

Hello to everyone else! I'm off again tomorrow, but I think a beach day might be in order. After tomorrow, it's supposed to rain for the rest of the week. Yes. It's decided then. Beach -- for medicinal purposes, of course. Sun and salt water are very good for drying up the poison ivy!

Be good, all!

Old 08-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #359  
wsw

fun list, arabella!

kat- hope the poison ivy itch is gone a.s.a.p!! have a lovely beach day tomorrow! hope all your new doors met regal expectations.

plateauing, and trying not to use that as an excuse to fall (or more accurately, i guess, jump) off the proverbial wagaon. i definitely have to keep my recent nsv in mind. oh, and i wore a purple blouse today, which tickled me. a good evening to all who dwell in the royal court.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #360  
wsw

still plateauing, and must hang tough. figure i need to change up food plan and exercise a bit, to hopefully get scale moving again. beyond that, no other ideas, so hoping this plan of attack will work. another scorcher, which of course, is normal for here this time of year, but have several errands i can't put off so off i go into the sauna, otherwise known as the outdoors. have a good day, all. take care.

Last edited by wsw; 08-20-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Closed Thread