Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #106  
Operator265

Touch Down!!! I've made thru another Graveyard rotation!!!

Actually, Jeannie, I don't see how y'all do straight graves. Like many of us, I have kids(and even if you don't the banks and stores usually are open during the day) so I have to switch back to day life on my days off. At least for 16 days in a row, I get to have my work and off time match up. My X worked a 7day long change shift, 12 hr. I don't have a copy of it handy but the biggest hardship is one week you work 3 days then come back the next night for 3 graves. But, in return, 2 weeks later you get 7 off in a row. The weeks in between are 3-4 and 4-3. Now that he's gone Management and works "Banker's Hours" he hates his job and since we live 8 hrs. away, he never gets to come see us. In fact, most of the people I know that do rotating shift work and have done Long Change won't give it up. Non union mines would Wildcat Strike over it. But in WY, unlike UT, the men(and usually the women) have some balls.

Really, I think when the mining industry went to 12 hr. shifts is when the folks started becoming psycotic. My X was on reverse rotating 8s when we got engaged. They went to 12 hr. Long Change before we got married. Basically the man I married wasn't the same one I got engaged to. You can't do jack sh** after working 12 hrs that's of any value. Especially since most mines are between 30-45 min from town. That's a damned 14-15 hr day. Atleast my mine is about the only one near a major city. I'm lucky, from my house it is a 20 min drive.

OK, I could go on but I'm kinda diving and I don't want to babble. Um, I think maybe I should go to bed. Love all you Shifties!!! I'll be back.

Oh yeah, and today was my official weigh in and I dropped 5 lbs.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:40 AM   #107  
Operator265

Well, I finally woke up. But, not really.

What a week from ****. EVERYONE was dragging and half pissy. Me, I was full on pissy. Only 5 women on our team, but the entire mine had PMS. Then last night went to s**t.

The A/C is out in the ready room and we had pizza last night. So everyone got stuffed(I did good, only had 2 small pieces) and hot, then had to sit thru an extended preshift meeting. By the time we got on the buses, no one was in a good mood. A thunderstorm just skimmed by us, but lightening hit and knocked out half the mine. Besides 4 shovels and several drills, it killed our computer communications with production control and mine care(the maintenence hotline). It rained for about 10 seconds at which point my windshield wipers went out. Counldn't get a hold of mine care to get it fixed, but it was OK since it quit raining. Plus, I was in better shape than the guy who's truck caught on fire in the middle of it all. The suppression system put it out and he's OK. But, our field mechanic is on the rescue team, so he had to take the fire truck down, and no one could get any field work done on the trucks. What a Freaking nightmare.

I'm so glad that week is behind me. I think I'm going to go crawl back into bed, or maybe under it.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #108  
1st 10% goal - 175.5 lbs

S/C/G: 195/187/140

Height: 5'4"

This is me yesterday:

And today:

OMG I'm so sore. But we had FUN! Hope you are all having a wonderful day, and get to play and real soon!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #109  
Operator265

Nette-Yeah, even if you get to enjoy family, it kinda sux that the reunions aren't held a night like us "normal" people live. Mine all live in different states, so it's kinda hard to keep in touch since they won't bother me with calls for fear of waking me up. I'm going to have my girls teach me how to MySpace so we can keep up with each other.

Karen- I have a Jonnie too, but she's a girl. Name fits though. But, now she's decided here name is Lee. Funny, I didn't name them after myself b/c I thought that was abit arrogant and now they both go by names that sound like cop offs of mine. Maybe they actually like me. And uh yeah, my food is fortunately in my bag with me b/c if anyone kiped my food out of the fridge I be running around with a baseball bat checking everyone's breath.

Vlad-Hope your energy has come back. How in the world you're going to get by for the next month on 1on 1off is beyond me. Good Luck. It's good you have some recipe's you can make up easily. I'm trying to get my recipes together for when the time comes.

Aud-It really helps if you can jump start your energy when you get up. I know sometimes our stomach's don't agree with that, but you can train it with time.

Jeannie- On having such a good time. We need to relax and enjoy ourselves too. I need to apply that lesson to my own life. It's a good kind of soreness ain't it.

Well Shifties, as you can tell, I've finally started coming back to sanity. Or atleast what I have left of it. Hope everyone has a great and wonderful week!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 04:11 AM   #110  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Between TOM and sheer exhaustion I'm barely hanging in there. Right now I have more of a problem getting enough calories because I'm too tired. And the only thing I'm actually interested in eating is chocolate. However, I have one more night and then I have three nights off in a row. I'm pretty excited about those, you can be sure.

My schedule was supposed to go back to my "normal" 3 nights on, 4 nights off starting this weekend now that the other O/N person is fully trained. However, she appears to have quit. We don't know that, but she hasn't shown up for her last three shifts (I covered 2 of them) and isn't returning calls. She is on facebook though chattering away about this, that, and everything other than blowing off her job. Kinda boggles the mind. If the mind wasn't so tired...

I did actually finally put one of the Sara Ivanhoe DVDs in and watched it. I didn't *do* it, but I watched it through and my plan to to bring in what I need so I can start doing it tomorrow night.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:59 AM   #111  
1st 10% goal - 175.5 lbs

Yes Operator! A fabulous kind of soreness!!! I really love those family days we have. Between all the celebrating, TOM, and exhaustion, I'm still just maintaining my 8 pounds. But, I'm very proud of myself for maintaining it. Maybe I will kick it into gear and lose a bit more that I can maintain as well. Other than just sane these days, how have you been?

Well Miss Vlad, no call no show at my job is t-r-o-u-b-l-e. 3 is fired for sure. What a tool, to take all the training and then just quit with not even a decent word about it. I would snoop to find if she's taken on somewhere else with your training. If you go through dealer school and then bail, you have to reimburse big $$$ for the training. What a jerk.

I hope you like the Sara Ivanhoe DVD. I really find her workouts challenging, yet relaxing and easy to follow. Have fun!

Shifties!!! Wake up! Has you all gone on vacation with Apple??? And just why, exactly, did you not swing by and get me?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #112  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I don't know as they have a strict policy about "no shows" and getting fired but I do know this girl has really burned some bridges. Vermont is a very small state and all the organizations that hire social work type people are pretty closely tied together. The one I work at is the probably the largest in the state, certainly it is the largest in this county which is where she wants to live and work. Pretty much she just eliminated all the jobs in her field within an hour's drive. Not so smart a move for someone just outta college with all those school loans to pay off...

I am looking forward to the Sara Ivanhoe workout. I watched the yoga/weight one last night. I have some 2 pound weights already so I'm all set.

And I think I can have my ticker on the bottom of my posts now... so let's see if it works! (edited to add: hmmm, apparently not quite yet... maybe I'd better read the destructions...) (edited again! it works it works! I have to update it but it works! Go me!!!!)(edited yet again with the updated info...)

Now that I have my ticker... what I'm really looking forward to is seeing that I have less than 100 pounds to go to reach my weight. That will be very exciting (kinda sad to have gotten so far away from my goal but great to be under 100 pounds left to lose. Then my next big goal will be to get under 200 pounds... been a long long time since the scale has been under 200... but one thing at a time)

Last edited by Vladadog; 06-28-2008 at 07:37 AM. Reason: fixed signiture! Yea!!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #113  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Hiya Shifties! *glugging down a protein shake as I type* Had an early morning funeral for a former boss this week and really got whacked by hours change. Again, just don't know how anyone can do it. Good news is that our plant is on its 2 week shutdown . . . I've got about 20 hours of beautiful sleep under my belt andready to ROCK IT! *joining Apple Cheeks in Vacay-Bliss!

Speaking of AP . . . had the wide awakeds late in the Wee last nite and saw her pics in the "Mini-Goal" section - AWESOME 30lb change! YOU GO GF!

ITA that those kind of hours would definitely make for a Psycho-Workforce, Operator. Glad to see another Blue Collar Gal on the Boards - I work in a Truck/Bus Factory as a Union Rep.

So glad you had a blast with your Family, jeannieTW! We're getting ready to take a trip with some family - can't wait!

Tx again for starting this Thread Vlada - so great to find some chicks who know what a world - oh whattaaaworld - us shift workers go thru!

Ohhhhhh crazyNETTIEEEE & WHOOOOOPSIEDDDDDDDDDD???? Where'd ya go???
Old 06-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #114  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Along with the difficulties of eating right and fitting in exercise of shift workers ~ can any of you offer any helpful ideas about sleep? I have always worked nights and prefer that, but as time goes on, it has become harder and harder to be able to sleep in the day time. It has gotten to where I can get only a couple hours of sleep after I have worked all night. Then on my nights off, I seem to sleep extra long ~ like my body is trying to get caught up. I finally got desperate and went to the dr ~ she gave me medicine ~ Provigil ~ which was originally intended to help keep people who have trouble keeping awake ~ awake. I told her I didn't for the life of me understand how medicine that is to keep one awake will help me sleep. She said that she has several patients/nurses who take it and it helps. I took it for the first time today (she told me to take it in the morning). It is my first night back ~ I usually try to take a nap before my shift and get maybe a couple hours. Today I felt sleepy, and layed down, but sleep eluded me. So, I am going to work with no nap tonight. I probably need to give it more time. I sure hope it works. What do you all do to be able to sleep working shifts?

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #115  
Operator265

Ok, I don't like your DR. That Provigil crap was flying around the mine last year and still gives me nightmares. Have a bunch of people not sleep all day then give them pep pills and put them on 100 ton machines and let's play pinball all shift with heavy equipment. Oh yeah, loads of fun.

And she has nurses on it. Puhlease, now we know why in my family, one of us stays with another family member while in the hospital. These poor nurses are usually understaffed, overworked and it may pay well but it is not enough. In my hometown the nurses were even having to pull janitor duties and clean patient bathrooms in between rounds. Can't imagine how dosing mistakes could happen under those circumstances. Hey let's add pep pills to the mix.

You know yourself what you need is sleep time, not more awake time. My X has taken Ambien for years and I've taken it a few times. We take it first thing when we get home if concerned about sleep. Personally, I don't like the new CR(continuous release). If I can get to sleep, I'm OK unless I get woke up. Then I'm screwed no matter what I do. The original could put me down in less than an hour. The new stuff takes longer, so I don't get as much rest.

This is in no way a reccommendation for Ambien or any other medication. But if your DR was paying attention she would have given you a sleep aid, not awake aid.

I have the aluminum foil on my windows and I keep my room cool. I try to go to bed at the same time as usual and when I switch from days to graves, I just try to make that AM instead of PM. If you get home early enough, try to avoid the sun and get to bed before it rises or gets bright. Keep the curtains throughout your house closed so you don't receive exposure if you can't get to bed right away. Also, avoid drinking anything for about 2 hrs. before bed and try to pee everything out before you go to sleep so you won't get woken up for that. My kids have dealt with this their entire lives, so they pretty well know not to mess with the parents when we are on graves. And, put a sign on your door warning away solicitors and visitors, unless you live in a bad neighborhood.

Then, go back to that DR and tell her where she can put that Provigil and see if you can find a DR that isn't a front for a drug dealer.

Good Luck Sweetie and try to get some REST.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #116  
Operator265

BTW, the reason I don't have a prescription anymore is b/c I found that if I take 1 Tylenol PM when I get home it does the job. Just be sure to take it 8-10 hrs before you're next shift to be sure it wear off.

Sorry to do a medical rant, but I am so tired of a health care system that pressures Drs into pushing drugs, turning nurses into zombies, patients into pill poppers and then being told by some Jacka$$ politician that it is the best system in the world. Tell me how good it is when you get rejected for treatment payments b/c you didn't get preapproval for the ambulance that came and took your unconcious hide to the hospital after a car accident.

Aud-Hello my sista union member!!!!! No I'm not a rep, but everyone on the team thinks I am just b/c I'm the one damned person out there who actually goes to the monthly meetings. Then guys who have been out there 5-10 yrs are asking me questions and I'm like "Dude, I've only been here 2 years, you tell me." They're like, "But your the steward" and I'm like "No, I'm just not a big bootlicking P***y." HEHEHE! Damn I wish we could find a few MEN to work out there. I get tired of being the only one with any balls.

Vlad-Let us know how the video goes. I think there is a Curves up the street from me that I might look into. It's within walking distance, so there's that automatically built in. Glad you got your ticker. I know mine helps me. Also, nice to know all you have to do is let "Karma" kick Little Missy in the butt.

Well gotta get to bed. Day 2 tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:56 AM   #117  
1st 10% goal - 175.5 lbs

Yay! Vlad has a ticker!!! I'm ready to cheer you on, girl! ANd I second the big THANKS for starting this thread!

Hey Aud, is that Sehrah Connah (best Schwarzenegger impression I can do), on your avatar?

Gayle, I tinted my windows, the darkest stuff you can buy. I did the whole house except the kitchen, and then I went twice on my bedroom windows. I still have heavy drapes in the bedroom as well, and the house stays much cooler in the summer! LOL

I have a window unit in the bedroom, because I sleep better when it's cold. That also makes a little white noise. I also have a machine that sounds like a thunderstorm. Search "noise machine" at Amazon, and you will find a lot of affordable little sleep gadgets that make noise like thunderstorms, surf, etc. Wouldn't trade mine for the world!

Occasionally, I have a bout of insomnia. When that happens I have a shot or two of Drambuie. It's fabulous. That stuff knocks me straight out. I do not like prescription meds, and I'm not a big drinker, so the sauce really works for me when I just can not manage to sleep.

I would have to agree with you Operator, about Gayle's doctor. I was just ranting right along with you, nodding my head and cussing the system! They get kickbacks, you know, whenever we fill an Rx with their siggy on it. I'd advise you Gayle, and everyone really, to find a doctor that truly has your best interest at heart.

Goodnight, sweet shifties! I'm hittin' the hay!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #118  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

The only time I take something to sleep is when I'm off like this and need to switch to days - usually take a 1/2 of Trazedone or a sip of Benadryl when everyone is beddingdown around @ 10p-11p . . . otherwise I'd havethe wideawakes til 5a or 6a.

I hate your Dr. too . . . also hate my own Dr. - just haven't found another one yet - complained to this Doc about my menopause symptoms combined with the woes of shiftwork - she told me I was BIPOLAR and wanted to give me LITHIUM!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #119  
1st 10% goal - 175.5 lbs

Quote:
complained to this Doc about my menopause symptoms combined with the woes of shiftwork - she told me I was BIPOLAR and wanted to give me LITHIUM!
Shut UP! OMG Aud, that makes me SO angry!!!!!

When my youngest was a toddler she had an ear infection. Her only one. Her doctor gave us samples of something, with an Rx that she was very vehement about our having filled straight away. I cannot remember what it was now, but I remember being absolutely livid. Looked at the literature and saw that it was for allergy, not infection. The common side effects were just horrible, the rare ones certainly not worth the risk... And we had been with this group since her birth!

We stopped at a strip mall family med center on the way home, had her looked at by a doctor who treated her for an ear infection and recommended an honest pediatric group. I'm glad I have always been leery of doctors, and a shoot-from-the-hip kind of gal. Otherwise, my kids might be part of Generation RX. Did you know that's what some are calling our over medicated children?

Generation RX.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #120  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Thanks for your suggestions for sleep help. I have already done the room darkening, fans and noise machines. Tylenol PM and other over the counter stuff. Medication wise ~ those things didn't help ~ that's why I finally went to the dr ~ out of desperation. I ended up taking that medication only two times. It didn't rev me up, but it made me so I couldn't sleep when I needed to and felt sleepy when I wanted to be awake. Thank goodness she had given me samples to try and I hadn't wasted money on a RX. I will go back to her and see what else I could try. I don't think she is a bad dr or a dishonest one. She has taken good care of me so far. Maybe the med helped some people, but what works for one doesn't necessarily work for someone else. Wish me luck.

Take care
Closed Thread