Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #61  
Operator265

Today is Saturday in my little world. Yes!! I survived another Graveyard rotation.

Vlad-I'm a brand name shopper with newer products, although I've heard good things about the MB style blenders at Kohl's and Macy's. I like it because it is more convenient and smaller. It is better at doing single servings and it mixes right in the cup you drink from so one less thing to clean up. This last one I got also came w/ a larger mixer style attachment, so when I make something up that the girls want also, I have it.

I'ld stick with Foreman on the grill. There are several sizes to choose from, single serve up to a large outdoor one. Mine is the family size which is about 15" x 11". I can cook about 4 burgers at a time on it, but I don't feel bad if I only cook 1-2. I just got a bonus check so I might buy an over the stove microwave this weekend. Then, where the one is now will become my small appliance counter-Grill, MB, Tea Maker, food scale and coffee grinder.

Cilicia-I know your work schedule is ****, but you really need to go to the Diet Central area and do some lurking around to see what's there and get YOUR OWN PLAN going. You just won't get far trying to figure it out on your own. And everyone has a different idea of what is and isn't part of a diet. Some encourage fruit, some limit it and some (like mine) cut it out in the loss phase but bring it back quickly in transition. There are alot of ways to go. Get in there and find yours.

Aud-Yeah. When they say don't run it for long periods, they mean it. I do it the same way your friends do.

Also, I just found the recipes threads at the bottom of the forum board. Great resource. I saw a recipe for breakfast burritos that you can keep frozen and just toss in the microwave while getting ready for work. I'm going to try it out later when I'm further along with my diet and on a 10% break.

Last edited by Operator265; 06-16-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Hi Everybody-

I saw mention of this forum on my WW thread, so I thought I would check you out. This is great, I do hope this one stays, maybe will offer some much needed help and/or advice.

I work the 11-7 shift, factory work, been doing this shift for almost 8yrs, I really don't like the hrs, but it really pays well and the benefits can't be beat. I did recently put in for a 2nd shift position, so I'm hoping that works out.

I've been on WW since May'07 and I find it's not a diet, it actually teaches me how I'm suppose to eat. My over-all sucess has been great, but recently I've hit that dreaded plateu, but I don't plan to give in just yet.

I look forward to chatting with all of you.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #63  
Operator265

I got to thinking...Oh crap, everyone watch out... We should try to post recipes that can be made up quickly, or made up in one day and stored for a week so we can get our lunch bags ready easily. What do y'll think?

Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 AM   #64  
1st 10% goal - 175.5 lbs

S/C/G: 195/187/140

Height: 5'4"

Wow! So much chatter in here, I love it!

Foreman Grill, Have kept one going since they made their debut. I'm on my 3rd. I love it!

The bullits I liked better than the blender because I can measure the ingredients I need in a smoothie right into the mug, pop it on, blend it, and drink it from that mug. Anyone that wants or needs something different can easily have it. I can also measure out and refrigerate several mugs, then when I'm in a hurry I can grab one from the fridge, blend it and go. Awesomeness. Yes, I needs a new MB.

Vlad - I really don't go by the scale. I found that last time I lost, the scale was as much an enemy to me as a friend, because I was weighing regularly. Then I read about how weight can fluctuate so much in just a day, especially for women. So, this time I've experimented with weighing several times a day. Some days it stays pretty consistent. I've also had days where it fluctuated 4 POUNDS. Back up and then back down. Now if I weighed regularly, and happened to hit the scale on that day and saw that I had "gained back" some pounds it may have once upon a time been enough to make me give up. So I just do what I know I'm supposed to do, and I know that I'm going in the right direction so I don't worry with the scale so much. My clothes fit so much better, and that is motivation enough for me. I have decided to not weigh weekly. I will weigh bi weekly, maybe even monthly, and if I've only lost a bit, that's ok. It's a loss. That's all that matters to me. I didn't get here overnight, I just looked in the mirror one day and went, damn girl.... So, I know I won't get back in shape overnight either. I'm ok with that, I will get there and stay there because I am now living it, it's not a diet.

Operator - I'm going with the 10% mini goals too! A recipe exchange sounds great! Maybe we could have a shift workers recipe exchange thread.

Cilicia - I completely agree with Operator. You don't need to be so harsh on yourself. My eating plan allows the heck out of some honeydew, so maybe your friends plan didn't. You have to find your plan. It's kind of like religion I guess... Everyone needs a different road home.

If you aren't going with a formal plan I suggest eating frequent, small, healthy meals. You will find the foods that work for you. Just do not give up. Shopping does get easier. Browse Diet Central like Operator suggests. Just click the link at the top of this page, I can't link but it looks just like this: 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community - it will take you to the main forum, scroll down for Diet Central boards. If you decide not to go with a 'plan' I'd be glad to share the basic shopping list I use, and I know others here would be glad to do the same. You are growing into a healthier lifestyle. Don't let anyone discourage you. You are doing this for a better you, and you will succeed.

Institches - Plateaus happen, just stay on the right path straight through them. They will pass. 65 lbs girl, you rock!

And everyone else, you are fabulous! Your friendship, your stories, (and your tickers!!!) inspire me and keep me motivated. I am so glad to have found you to share this road with.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:55 AM   #65  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

ahhhhhhhh . . . someone still awake! So refreshing! Hiya jeanniethewicked!! Just gettingready to hit the hay but thought I'd pop by Shift Worker City!

Have a link to just the Thread you need to read cilicia>>>>http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142596 - lots of good advice for ya in there.

'Night Everyone!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:14 AM   #66  
Operator265

Cool thing about this thread is it runs on some pretty strange hours. Ofcourse, we shifties can be pretty strange anyways.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:19 AM   #67  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I'm awake too! It's my "Saturday."

I try to keep the same hours on my days off as when I work. I just can't keep re-adjusting like a lot of people do--it kills me! It's just easier on me to stay up all night on my days off.

After this week, though, I'm on vacation, and I won't have to worry about it for a whole month!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #68  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Next time a George Forman gets offered up on Freecycle I'll hop on it.

Cicilia - like Operator and Jeannie said, there are lots of different diets - some allow fruit and some don't. It won't work to do "x" from one diet and "y" from another - you need to pick a diet and then try to stick with it. Diets like Soth Beach (and Atkins and other reduced carb diets) have very strict phase one periods where what you can eat is pretty limited but phase 1 is usually pretty short and then you can add some things back. Still, fruit is always limited and popular veggies like corn and peas are too. As Jeannie pointed out, most of the major diets have communities on the diet central boards here - in the stickies sections most diets are pretty well explained. We have people here in this small community doing fat smash (a low carb type diet), weight watchers, and calorie counting - you just have to figure out what will work best for you, what you'll be able to live with. Spending an hour or two now reading about your options will save you a lot of heartache later on. And if you decide to go with a non-carb focused diet then just ignore people who tell you you can't have honey dew. The low carb diets really seem to work for a lot of people but that doesn't mean you have to do one.

There's a diet out there that will work for you - you just have to find it!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:35 AM   #69  
Operator265

Oh oh! I just found a recipe for protein pancakes that you can freeze and have later. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143543

And the recipe for breakfast burritos...http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132065

Old 06-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #70  
Operator265

Cilicia-A thread that might help...http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...44#post2229544 a lady posted a short shopping list.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #71  
Miss Thickness

S/C/G: 198/189/165

Height: 5'7

hey guys i have a few question about food
ok here goes is whole wheat bread any good for dieters
and can i have jello if so what kind?
and turkey what kind do i buy?

sorry you guys iv'e been living with really bad eating habit for life
so i really need this advice
Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #72  
Operator265

Whole Wheat Bread MUST say 100% whole wheat, not wheat flour. Check the ingredients list.

I use SF Jello and make it from a box. I got some 1/2 cup Glad containers which make single servings. I get 8(1/2 cup) servings from a box.

Not sure about turkey, but I would think most should be good. You'll have to read the labels, though.

Last edited by Operator265; 06-17-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #73  
1st 10% goal - 175.5 lbs

I don't buy lunch meat, but I would think most would be okay, low sodium would be best. I feel for you starting out with the shopping. It was confusing for me too. I would be having a difficult enough time and then someone would say no you can't have that, and someone else would say something else. People restrict themselves from different thhings. It took awhile for me to develop a list of what I needed. I just did that by trial and error, and reading labels. And I cook.

In reality, I find that if you just make healthy food choices, exercise portion control, drink more water, and commit to an hour of walking or similar every day - it will slowly come off. I know when I don't show a big loss for awhile it's because I haven't made time for exercise.

This is how I eat. If it gives you any ideas, that's great!

PROTEIN - I buy boneless chicken breasts and ground turkey. Seafood when I want a change. I don't eat red meat.
VEGGIES
- I buy veggie mixes in the frozen section, I just check to see that they're low salt. Fresh onions, peppers, mushrooms, salads.
FRUIT - I buy canned pineapple in it's own juice, canned pears & mandarin oranges in light syrup. Bananas. Apples. Melons. Berries.
CARB - Potatoes. Rice. Whole grain pasta.
CONDIMENTS - Salad dressings, sauces, etc. Any really. I just cut back to a fraction of what I used to use. Strictly for flavor.

From reading through your posts, it sounds like you are coming from a place where you would just grab a Dr. Pepper and whatever was handy and fly to the next job. I was a fast food / microwave junkie. I can definitely understand the trouble you're having shopping for healthy foods. Maybe you should try one of the plans that includes the food, until you are familiar with what kinds of food work for you?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #74  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Cicilia - turkey is great. The store I shop at now sells turkey breast strips. I grill a whole tray in my oven and then store them in the fridge. You could marinate them or put a little bbq sauce on them - a little not a lot since BBQ sauces tend to be high in sugar. Anyway, then I can grab a strip or two and get a tasty lowfat protein boost. You could make a very filling sandwish out of two and it's cheaper and lower in sodium than lunch meats.

Sugar free jello is a good treat (I don't know about the low carb diets but I think they allow it). I'm not on low carb so I can have fresh fruit. I keep a crate of those clementines in my fridge. One has less than 40 calories and is really sweet and satisfying. I usually have one for "dessert" after a meal. I also have apples and whatever fruit is in season locally.

If you like tuna fish then a can of tuna is a useful addition to your pantry. I buy mine packed in olive oil - yeah, higher in fat but olive oil, in moderation, is a fat that is actually good for you and the tuna in olive oil is really really yummy. I often just dump a drained can on top of a big salad instead of using dressing.

There are premade diet foods at the supermarket too - whole meals or things like burritos etc. They've never worked for me - i find the portions small and the food not to my taste - but I have friends who have done very well with them. If you are pressed for time then Lean Cuisine or one of those types might be a life saver for you. But I think if you can find an hour a week to devote to cooking ahead and pre-packing things you'll get healthier foods for less $$$.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #75  
1st 10% goal - 175.5 lbs

I'm very sorry to go off diet topic. But this has been bugging me all morning, and I thought maybe seeing it posted would make me feel better about doing what I KNOW is the right thing.

It's my day off. My brother woke me up.
I can't go back to sleep.

I wouldn't give him _______ (insert money, a ride, a place to stay).
I am a _________. (insert every truly vulgar insult you've ever heard).

He drinks. And abuses whatever kind of drug he can get his hands on.
And I can't heal him.

I can not heal him.

I'm going to go work in the yard.
Closed Thread