3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   CALLING all tall girls (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/125816-calling-all-tall-girls.html)

sct 09-01-2009 11:26 PM

I'm 5'-10" and I have a really long torso, so I also struggle with finding tops that are long enough.

One thing that bugs me to no end: You buy a tshirt thats nice and long and you wash/dry it a few times and its shrinks up to your belly button. I have to be so careful about what I put in my dryer. I end up air drying so many things so I don't have to throw them in the rag bin!

Hotsplashes 09-03-2009 09:13 AM

Sherry, my garden is a sad little garden this year.. too cold, too wet.. only my sweet yellow peppers got anything good growing on them... the reds and greens either died, or didn't get anything. HOts are doing great though!

I have 4 types of red, 2 types of yellow, and one type of black tomato.

SCT... ALLL my good tshirts are hand washed and hung to dry!!lol Only my barn clothes get put in the dryer.

sct 09-03-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotsplashes (Post 2908016)
SCT... ALLL my good tshirts are hand washed and hung to dry!!lol Only my barn clothes get put in the dryer.

You know, I just might start doing that. Sweaters too....

shasha17a 09-03-2009 12:47 PM

I was at the store yesterday trying to find a dress for this weekend because I'm having a girls night out. They had a lot of dresses on maniquins which looked cute, but I tried some of them on and it was seriously a shirt on me. I think sometimes with dresses, theres a little grey area in that depending on height it can be worn either as a dress or top. Its all good though, I actually found the dress I was hoping to find.

Hotsplashes 09-04-2009 08:58 AM

Good Morning Tall Chickies!!

SCT... yeah my sweaters get washed in Woolite and are hung to dry. I do the same with my good dress pants. I refuse to Dry Clean everything. Too expensive.

Shasha..COngrats on finding a dress! I hear ya on dress/shirt thing. A friend of mine keeps borrowing some of my tops... and they are dresses on her because she's only 4'10. But I'd still rather be tall than short...

salsa chip 09-22-2009 10:57 AM

This thread needs to be bumped up - we tall girls are still here!

Skinnycow 09-26-2009 09:37 AM

I saw a woman on an infomercial who lost 55 lbs and went from a size 16 to a size 4. It kind of frustrated me. I've lost 55 lbs and have only gone from size 20 to size 16. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be short, but I quickly come to my senses.

CLCSC145 09-26-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinnycow (Post 2943796)
I saw a woman on an infomercial who lost 55 lbs and went from a size 16 to a size 4. It kind of frustrated me. I've lost 55 lbs and have only gone from size 20 to size 16. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be short, but I quickly come to my senses.

I've now lost 85 pounds and I can still wear most of my 3x and size 24 clothes (though they are baggier now). It's so disappointing!

Judy Lynn 09-26-2009 05:47 PM

CC, I bet they are plenty baggy! Time to try on some new sizes. Congrats on losing 85 pounds, that is awesome! :carrot:

I was busting out of my 24W pants (I was actually wearing them pinned together because the button was too tight), and after losing 23 pounds I can now wear them comfortably, and wear some other 24W's (that were too tight) and some 22W's. In other words, I have maybe gone down one size.

I guess the flipside is that we can gain 20 pounds and still squeeze into the same pants. My SIL is under 5' and lost 25 pounds and I'm like Whoa! You have lost a lot! Most people still have not noticed I have lost anything.

Just an FYI, I thought I would mention that for anyone that is tall & plus size it is almost impossible to find long enough jeans & pants here in Canada. I have discovered that Coldwater Creek has some tall plus sizes, and they ship to Canada.

PammyFl 09-27-2009 05:40 PM

Hey ladies what is your goal size? I keep saying I want my goal to be a 10/12 because I don't think I would look good as a 8 because I have very large hips and it would basically just be hips filling in the jeans and I want to have some curve, but there are times I really think I could possibly pull off a 8. I don't really know what I want. UGH! How do you tall ladies determine your "GOAL weight?" I keep having mixed ideas on what my weight should be. I know I will never be 125 but how do you ladies determine what weight you want to be?

gardenerjoy 09-27-2009 06:03 PM

PammyFl, I basically drew a number out of a hat. And, I think it is hard. I've seen other tall chicks here at about my height with a range of about 50 pounds for their goal weights. Since I took a wild guess, I'm reserving the right to change my mind and already have it in my plans to start reassessing and maybe even getting some professional help as I get nearer my goal to help me decide what the goal range should be.

If I got to a 12, I'd be pretty happy since I was wearing 12s in high school. But I also remember feeling awkward, gangly, and lacking in curves in high school, so I'm going to keep an open mind about stopping at 14.

JudyLynn and CLCSC145: I've gone down 40 pounds and back up 40 pounds and now I'm heading down again. Wearing size 20s the entire time. Admittedly, they are stretchy pants, but still, it is frustrating. I now think I made a mistake not buying at least a couple pairs of new pants -- maybe that would have motivated me to keep the weight off. This time, I'm going to reward myself with new pants when I reach Onederland.

AriesBarb 09-27-2009 06:26 PM

Yeah... I just found a number I thought would be close to where I THINK I would like to be.... since I am not there YET... I know that number might change as I get closer. I think I am really going to let the mirror decide... not the number...

DCHound 09-28-2009 04:19 PM

It's very hard for some of us to know what our goal weight should be. For me, I'm carrying an extra 30 lbs of muscle I didn't have the last time I lost a lot of weight--from lifting heavy weights and also being more active in general. So, at @ 240, I am pretty much the exact same size I was at 205-210, 5 years ago--large 16 or small 18. Well, my 18s are pretty much falling off so really a 16 now, I guess. Once I get to 199 I will reassess and may decide to stop in the 190s, or keep going. Don't know yet.

I know a lot of people my height would need to weigh well under 150 to be not looking/feeling overweight...but I'm thinking anything under, like, 185 would just be too low for me. I'm only 5'8 but I have huge hands and feet, and am just generally very heavy-boned. Most folks think I'm taller than I actually am. (And that's why I hang here with you in the Tall Gals thread, LOL.)

PammyFl 09-28-2009 07:39 PM

Yeah im having a hard time determining what I consider "Healthy" for myself and my height. Right now my goal is set for a "Normal" BMI but I don't know If i want to be in the higher end of it or the lower end of it. I don't want to just say a number that would just be way too small for me. I am also very big boned with them "wide load" hips and Im so confused after reading all the posts with all these small woman weighing nothing and It just makes me feel so HUGE when I know im close to being considered "NORMAL" for my height. UGH! I love being tall but I hate it all at the same time!

CLCSC145 09-28-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PammyFl (Post 2945206)
...how do you ladies determine what weight you want to be?

I picked 165 because 166 is the least I've ever weighed as an adult. But I know that at 166 I still needed to lose a bit and knowing that I have to lose about 20 pounds to even see any difference, I'm guessing that 145 is probably around where I'll end up. But I won't know if that's too small for me until I get down around the neighborhood. So 165 it is and I'll refine that once I get there. For my height, the "normal" range is about 137 to 183 according to the charts.