Old 11-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #586  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all, things are going pretty good. I overdid it on Saturday and yesterday I was sore. I sort of re-strained my ankle (the brake pushing one) when I twisted it on a rock walking the dogs on Saturday. I used the treadmill yesterday so it's better today. Just my left ring finger is still screwed up. So I'm recovering pretty good.

Food yesterday was atrocious. I knew I was being bad after dinner and didn't care. I'm thinking of checking my healt program to see if it's that time of the month again. I'm betting that was it. PMS eating.

Exercise still on track. Walked and yoga'ed yesterday. I did a bit of stained glass. I'm making a bunch of stained glass hummingbird feeders for our families. Too much work, but since I have the supplies - it's cheap. And after the $1000 deductible for Darth Jeep, that's important.

Well, I need to get back to work (from home as it's my day off). Just thought I'd say hi.

I hope all is going good for all of you.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #587  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Wow...Marie, I am so glad to hear that you're alright! We see multi-car crashes all the time, but don't think about the mental fallout for the folks in the first cars. Thank God that the results weren't worse, and that you are recovering. If you'd left five minutes earlier or ten minutes later, someone else would have been the driver that "caused" the accident. I hope the idiot who fled the scene is up nights wracked with guilt. I hope you're able to do whatever you need to do to feel safe and centered. When I'm stressed and tired I'm more likely to stub my toes, cut my finger, and otherwise be more of a klutz.

Carol, I hope your hubby is continuing to recover as well. And that you're taking care of yourself. I was astonished to read that your hubby's never stayed in a hospital before! This is all very scary and stressful. I hope the extended family will give you the comfort and support you need.

Juls, did you have a wonderful time in Sydney? Happy belated b-day! I would love to visit Sydney someday. Everyone says it's a remarkable city.

Penny, you gave me a good idea...I still have my Curves six-week challenge stuff. Now that the last of my big trips is almost over, that's something that I could do to charge through to the end of the year, and would definitely get me a jump start, despite more travel and the holidays. I'm very excited now that I think about it (although I purely hate all that counting of carbs, proteins, fat and calories). It will also help me practice keeping my protein levels up without relying so much on big slabs of meat.

The weather is horrible in Seattle today, cold, windy and rainy. I'll be running around to meetings today and tomorrow, and it would help if things cleared up. Folks are more likely to cancel on me,and it will be harder to catch a cab. Oh, well. Time to workout before heading off to the first appointment. My food choices were better yesterday, but this wet chill makes me crave comfort food...Penny and Marie, I don't know how you do it!

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #588  

Girls I didn't read back to what I have missed here sorry. But did catch Marie you were in an accident wow how scary. Glad your going to be okay. Never a dull moment. And I seem to have a real grasp for the unexpected lately. I have had a very rough last week and wow so has the hubby. This experience is one we never want to relive not even a moment of it. From the surgery and them leaving in a little piece of their equipment some little plastic thing small in size but still the scary thing knowing something is in there that doesn't belong and the unknown if it will cause any harm down the road. Currently he is still in the hospital suppose to be around 4-5 days now shooting for 7. He went through some very rough times and it was extremly hard for us to watch thank goodness most of it he doesn't remember at this time. He is still there and is on oxygen still and hopefully can get off soon then he can come home. Well exercise has been my hallways of the hospital my junt up the staircase to the second floor instead of the elevator and my walking to the car. I have been trying to avoid the parking garage as I think I currently own a beam in it along with my daughter too. The girls have been great helping out one came over without me asking and prepared the house for his home coming. He will return with a walker instead of his cane at this time. My support from my family and friends and coworkers has been great. The insurance great coverage along with my company being great letting me work from home, office and the hospital. So far I have only used up 5 sick hrs. Well the food front hasn't been an issue actually sometimes I forget to eat crazy as it may sound. But last night I took my daughter after the hospital visit to dinner at a favorite Italian Rest. and ate some good food and have half for todays dinner I will have before going to the hospital. Haven't used the scale or gotten to the gym. Well take care everyone just wanted you to know I am okay and will return soon to trying to be healthy. After seeing so much heart surgery patients I can tell you chips are about as far off my mind as the moon and desserts to at this pt. really does make yah think about food a bit differently. Miss my site here!!
cckayac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #589  
Lifelong Journey Member

Carol, I sure hope they took their equipment back out. I thought that they inventoried everything used in surgery, then re-inventoried after they're done. How do they make that mistake??? I'm very sorry you've had to go through this. I do know what you mean about not eating - the accident did that too.

Judy, I totally agree about being more of a klutz when I'm injured. I'm living proof of that. Where Penny lives and where I live are pretty different. This is our rainy season but it's actually a desert. I could never live in Portland or Seattle. I need sun. Lots of it.

My hands are still pretty sore, but I'll live. Luckily typing isn't an issue. Work was irritating this morning and I'm guessing it was more so since I didn't get up to exercise. That'll teach me. Tomorrow I'm up and out of bed. Either the treadmill or the headlamp for a doggie walk. Probably the treadmill as I'd have to bandage Blizzie's paw before going out. Too much for the morning. I'm trying to convince myself to get on the exercycle or the treamill. But perhaps a day off won't hurt. See how I'm not convincing myself very well????

Food was fine today. Still only wanting/eating bland foods. I did walk yesterday with doggies and DH and then DS2 and I did yoga. No yoga today. If I do it everyday, it makes my back a little sore.

Well, all is good on the Darth Jeep front. We received the ins. check to give to the Auto Body Shop. DH is going to bring that over tomorrow. I talked to them and they said the parts were starting to roll in. The estimate list of parts was 3 pages long. Seems pretty thorough.

Well, I should do something... Oh, I got the funniest email today that I'm going to convert to a webpage, then I'll post the link. It's the grumpy hallmark card lady and dieting.
Marie
Old 11-13-2007, 09:34 PM   #590  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Carol - It's absolutely inexcusable that they left something in your DH that shouldn't be there! As Marie says, they are supposed to account for every little thing before and after the surgery. You must have both been going through a terrible time this past week. I hope that each day gets a bit easier and that your hubby makes a quick recovery. I'm keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Judy - Yes, it has been rainy and cold here lately. I've been making some stews which are actually not that bad calorie-wise and very filling. I started the Curves challenge yesterday and was dismayed that when I weighed in on their scale I was up almost 10 lbs. from my lowest weight a few months ago . Hopefully the challenge is what I need to get my act together. I'm counting my calories more carefully - especially the "little" snacks!

Marie - I hope your hands soon feel better. Traumatic events tend to make me eat less too but that's not the way we want to lose weight! Hopefully they'll get your jeep fixed quickly, it's no fun to be without your favorite wheels.

Juls & Emma - I hope all is well with you.

I've been busy with last minute organizing for our bazaar and tea this coming
Saturday. I'll be soooo glad when it's over. One of my friends said today it's like D-Day minus 3! The set-up is on Friday and I'll be so glad to get all the stuff I've been storing out of my house!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:39 AM   #591  

Girls it isn't right and yes from what I am told that is how its suppose to be a ck before and after. Well to my info. it most of been missing in the end and they couldn't find it. So they all did what they could and sewed him up. The next day sent him for a CTscan and said its on the vense side which is much less likely to cause any issues thats what they say anyways. I have requested an incident report copy and will be contacting a lawyer just to be on the safe side. I haven't told my hubby its in there yet as he is still recoverying and I don't want to cause extra stress. But they say it will imbed itself in the tissue and then tissue will grow over it not causing issues. One can only pray he can't go through this again thats for sure this was so hard on him. The doctor has a wonderful track record of like 11,ooo surgeries without this ever happening whats the chances we were the ones 1 out of 11,000 pretty sad huh? Well on the good side hopefully it won't cause any issues its very tiny. It is a little plastic piece which rides on a wire which the piece helps the wire go from bent to straight. I have been encouraged by many to contact a lawyer and what can it hurt? So I guess I will try to do that today the doctors office said it would be 4 weeks before the committee generates a report on this from the hospitals board. Meanwhile if a lawyer is involved and a second opinionl maybe quicker? Who knows. On the dietary front I haven't been to bad not using the scale but will plan on it by friday. I have to do the hubbies wt. and temp everyday for the next month and chart it. I will be glad when today is over the last day I have to give him shots he said I hurt him and I feel so bad its awful and stressful on my end too. So hopefully this is it on them it is to thin the blood so we don't have clotting and strokes etc...... Now we don't need that happening thats for darn sure.
Marie sounds like their on a move to fix your car. Boy never a dull one huh? Glad your coming around to feeling a little better though. I took Bear for a walk last night around the property it was nice walking in the leaves crunching under my shoes. Haven't gotten to the gym gee I wonder why? I will though this first week he is to have someone here 24 hrs a day just in case of an emergency or he falls etc. PT is coming in again today and then she is hopefully going to be here for 10 visits currently the hubby has a walker and we'd like him back using his cane.
Penny I agree it is inexcusable for this to happen now adays with so many reasons for it not to happen. But now it has and we will have to deal with it just one more thing to do and worry about I guess. I just pray it stays right where it is and have not been able to research it online of what I was told but will hopefully later today. I have been working some at home and have a meeting today. Then will take off friday fully and work from home for a couple hrs. mon. tues. and wed. My company has been wonderful and my insurance from the bills flying is seems to be covering things quite nicely wow is it expensive. Well hopefully next time I can be more cheerful but it feels good to relieve some of my thoughts. Thanks for all of your support everyone it means a ton and I do depend on this thread to vent and try to live a healthier lifestyle. After seeing some of those folks in that heart unit wow yah think about doing what yah should do maybe I should visit weekly? Nah!
Take care and I will ck in again soon.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #592  

Carol, I need to stop by the hospital to pick up some x-rays, but maybe I should visit the cardiac ward first, to remind myself of why the journey matters . I'm glad that you're able to check in with us, despite how tense and busy you must be right now. Thank you! I'm glad you contacted a lawyer, but I hope it won't be necessary.

Penny, I can't get over how varied the temp and terrain is on the West Coast! You guys have it all, deserts, rainforests, mountains, beaches...how did you end up in the dreary bit Have fun this weekend, and no snacking!

Marie, I hope things continue to improve. Poor Blizzie.

More later, or in the morning, time to run for the bus!

judy
Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #593  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi everyone. What a busy week. My co-worker and I hadn't been able to schedule real interviews for our open position so I volunteered to do a "weeding out" quickie interview. I was so impressed with one that I made my co-worker meet with the lady this afternoon. He's now doing reference checks and will offer the position. She's a great fit. the first time in forever that I didn't have any pink or red flags waving at me. I'm at a conference tomorrow for work (over the mountain and through the woods...) and then I'm off all next week. My parents will be here on Tuesday. They haven't visited in 6 years. Eeks.

Carol, I'd contact a lawyer without a doubt. To be honest, that seems inexcusable. It's best to protect your husband's rights from the beginning. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. When will he be released from the hospital?

Judy, the west coast is a myriad of climates. Olympia Nat'l Park is amazing for all of the climates. Ocean, rainforest, mountains, it's unbelievable. Too bad the weather ahs been yucky while you're up there.

Penny, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. The set-up and then d-day. I hope you take a breath and have a good time.

Juls, how are things going???

The weather is to be rainy and yucky (probably snowy over the mountain pass) for tomorrow's drive. I wish I didn't have to go. Driving is not my favorite pastime these days. I'll have my big Durango and I know where the lever is for the 4 wheel drive. At least I'll be rewarded for a trip to Costco. I'm running a little short on a few items.

I'm starting to do better mentally. I was happy and laughing most of the day. I did have a dream about the accident at 3 am, and couldn't get back to sleep (too much work started floating through my mind). So I got up and took the dogs out by 4. Then DH and I commuted together making it so I didn't have to drive at all today. And I made him grocery shop with me. We bought a 26 pound monster turkey. He thought that was excessive. Me, I just thought more yummy white meat.

So now off to do more surfing on my cute little laptop. I haven't had a chance in days.
Marie
Old 11-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #594  

Marie, congratulations on finding the right person! She will be smart to sign up with you. You'd be fun to work with.

It's a quiet day on our thread, huh? I hope that's because everyone is out doing something good. I just came back from the podiatrist. My foot is continuing to improve, but she thinks it will take another month or more before it's back 100%. Oh, and now I have something to look forward to: I'll definitely be a candidate for hammertoe surgery down the line . I mentioned that it's a problem for other women in my mom's family, and asked what I could do (as my toes are already starting to look weird). She looked at my toes and said, flatly, "Nothing. You can try over-the-counter aids, but eventually you'll be needing a bone saw."
Old 11-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #595  

Wow, that was so alarming I pressed the submit button by mistake! Anyway, I like her directness, but geez, now's the time a little equivocation would be a good thing.

My shipment of seafood from the Pike Place Market arrived yesterday, Salmon (of course), tilapia, scallops and catfish, all for my freezer. I stopped by my old Curves to buy their chocolate shake mix, so I can join Penny in the six-week challenge. I usually have Whole Foods or Aria protein powder around but those work best in the blender--with frozen fruit. The Curves mix dissolves pretty well in a simple ice-cube shake. Once I buy some produce , I'll be set for healthy eating again. And I found a meatless "Jerquee" that is actually tasty, unless my bar is now so low that I've learned to enjoy less-awful vegetarian products. With 165 calories, 7 carbs and 14 proteins (but alas, 9 grams o' fat), it "contains all the hearty chewing pleasure of real jerky, without the high concentrations of sterols, antibiotics, growth hormones and nitrates." Ohh, yum! Marie, shall I mail you a sample?

judy

Last edited by judydc; 11-16-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #596  
Lifelong Journey Member

Judy, thanks for the offer but, yuck, I don't think so. I don't like meat jerky so I'm thinking an imitation of something yucky would be yucky too.

Well, my parents decided to skip the coast and come directly here as it's supposed to be raining on Monday. So now they'll be here on Monday instead of Tuesday. One would think that would cause me to start doing the necessary cleaning. But no, I'm surfing...

Judy, directness is good but diplomacy retains more patients. It's a good thing you're a good sport and like her anyway.

The trip over the mountain was okay. I got to drive home in rain, fog and dark. That's so nice for a recovering accident person. But I did make it without scratching the Durango. I was a bit nervous.

Exercise = good. Food = too much. That's not too new these days. I need to get on board with eating better.

Penny I hope your tea is going well and Carol, I hope your DH is recovering.
Juls, where are you?
Marie
Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #597  

Judy how cool a load of fresh seafood from Pikes my favorite market. Were you there and decided to send some home or did you just order it? I would love too. When we were there years ago there was a special garlic spread that was out of this world I made garlic pizza with it can't find it anywhere like it was there such a cool place brings back great memories.
Well the hubby returned home on tues. It has been some work but he would do the same for me and thats life. We are making it friday was a tough day and I had to call a nurse in. Then after awhile he took some pain meds and things seem to get better its been a slow road but I can say he is now walking just today with his cane around the house v.s. the walker and it makes him feel better to begin with. We have PT coming in a few times a week right now and blood draws again on tues. He has to be on blood thinners for about 3 months I am told we will see. I had to give him these awful shots in his stomach to thin his blood they taught me before he came home that was the toughest thing I have had to do. I don't which that on anyone and what a resposiblity too. I hated it as much as he did getting it. THe last shot he refused and I was worn out and had no fight left and prayed he's be okay. Sometimes yah just have to sit back and pray. I did lots in the last couple of weeks. I am off from work til after Thanksgiving due to his illness and having to be home with him. Still 24 hrs. in the house incase there is an emergency etc... But I think he really is doing fine this is til wed. He is getting around so much better today. I am relieved with that. Food hasn't been too bad today around 1600 cals and that is with apple cider high in cals and a little 1/2 cup of ice cream treat. I haven't been to the gym way too busy here for that. But I did make it to a sale with my daughter a house sale. Purchased a cool rocker about 100 years old like my grams. I don't have to finish the wood just clean it up. And add new fabric and trim its looking quite easy . I got it for 12.50 half off the asking price at the end of the sale and already picked out fabric. One of the whim things just did it. I will recover it on monday a nice little project to do like I really needed more!!! Hah hah I think I deserved this little chair and it deserved someone who will appreciate it.
Marie whats with us being all banged up I stubbed my baby toe in the night oh how it hurt for a few days! We need to be more careful of our lovely bodies their all we got. Take care all and I will try to be better at being on here this week. Oh the a.m. breakfast today was great 1/2 grapefruit and 1 aslice of toast. I am trying to be good. Portions are something I am working on. I will have something just less. Rachel Ray had stuffing recipe today she made it in muffin tins. What a great idea at least you would be in control hUh?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #598  
Lifelong Journey Member

Morning everyone, it's snowing outside. I just looked at the radar and it should be stopping soon. Why my parent's insist on visiting at Thanksgiving vs. any other the time of the year is beyond me. They did it 6 years ago and the weather is always yucky this time of year. But... it's supposed to clear up and stay good until the weekend when they leave. It's just the day that they're getting here that's icky

DGS is sleeping in our room. His first overnighter since they moved out in April. DS1 is flying to reno for an interview and almost DIL is student teaching so DGS is staying with us until DS1 returns on Wednesday. So far, night #1 was good. He was a little cranky that his daddy left but he slept great. I'm excited to spend a load of time with him. My parents and him haven't met and they're nearing 80. I think that part could be difficult. DH will have to do more on his part than last night when he watched DGS's movie that DGS didn't watch...

So far food is great today - I haven't eaten yet. I will try to be good. Exercise - we'll be taking DGS out for the doggie walk. I told DS1 to bring back my stroller (I bought one of the all terrain type before DGS was born and they moved it with them). As I'm starting to see blue sky, it should be nice. DS1 packed lots of warm stuff for him.

Carol, I'm glad your DH is home. That is very tough though. It's very demanding taking care of someone that feels like doo-doo. They have reason for being difficult but it doesn't make it any easier. I hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

Penny, how did the tea go?
Judy and Juls, what's up???
Marie
Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #599  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Carol - I'm amazed how well you are holding up with all you've been through! It must be hard to see your DH suffer like that and especially having to give him those shots . It sounds like he's getting around better now, with just the cane again. Hopefully he'll feel well enough to enjoy Thanksgiving. I'm glad you found the nice rocker to take your mind off things a bit. Maybe you'll get a chance to just sit and rock in it for a while!

Marie - That's fun to have your little DGS. I bet he'll love going for walks with the doggies in his stroller. I hope your parents have a nice time with you at Thanksgiving and I hope the weather keeps nice without too much wet stuff.

Judy - I'm so envious of your delicious seafood from Pike's Place . Your meatless jerquee sounds interesting! I've found a good veggie egg salad substitute from Whole Foods called Tofu pate and it's really delicious - I could eat a whole tub full! It's just 40 cals for 2 tbsp. and tastes good on toast for breakfast.

I survived the tea (though my feet are still letting me know about it!) It was very successful and had lots of attendees despite the torrential rain all day. We probably served around 550 teas. It will be interesting to see how much we raised. The editor of a popular tea room guide attended with an entourage of her friends and said she will be giving us a favorable review in the next edition of her book. She can be a bit critical in some of her reviews but she said our tea was "very British", which I took as a compliment! It's harder to turn out a good quality tea for so many patrons in a relatively short period of time. The crafts went well and my cake platters sold out in about half an hour, so I'll definitely make them again. The soaps also went very quickly. We had lots of lovely knitted and sewn items for sale and almost everything was sold.

I hope everyone has a good week.

Last edited by penpal; 11-19-2007 at 11:38 AM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #600  

Marie wow a visit from the parents. Well guess once there here and then leave you can feel like I did once again and now it will be awhile before it happens again. Funny how we dread certain things. I know when our niece was coming to visit right before the surgery I had to write to her and say not now. She said she understood but has been writing as frequent now oh well what can one do head stands for others all the time just to keep them happy? Just think when you need a little mom and dad break take those cute pups for a walk. Hang in there.
Penny the tea sounded lovely and you should be so proud of what you have accomplished. Yeah the chair and I are having sometime together a little sanding and then take to varnish a little area and right to the fabric time. It reminds me so much of my grams which brings me comfort just with that thought. Well I finally contacted a lawyer today about the inncident at the hospital. They are going to get back to me just took info right now. I hated to do it but just felt the need to speak out and also to ensure this doesn't happen again hopefully to anyone. But my son inlaw says it happens more than anyone knows and sometimes your not even told least the doctor did let us know. Well the food front has been not so bad today. Bagel for breakfast a little high in cals. , banana snack, lunch 1 piece of high fiber ww bread, little pot roast, slice of onion and horseradish , 1/2 cup mashed pot. and 5 brussel sprouts steamed with vinegar, dinner is to be a 1/2 stuffed green pepper with cheese on it and I will make a little salad on the side, snack later on will be lowfat ice cream 1/2 cup. I am done for the day ran out of cals. little cider 120 cals, about 1500. I will do a walk later on in the yard with Bear. Take care girls feels good to be back. I have a blood test in the a.m. and Bear is off to get groomed before the holiday and winter not too short he will need his little coat to stay warm.