Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:18 AM   #46  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

HAPPY~ I AM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE MOLDY WASHER I THINK WE HAVE MAYTAGS DOWNSTAIRS. GOTTA LOOK. WHATEVER THEY ARE THEY'RE BREAKING DOWN MORE OFTEN THEN THE KENMORES WE USED TO HAVE I CANNOT BELIEVE THE GOVT. WOULD ALLOW MOLDY WASHERS TO CONTINUE!! WE LIVE IN A USE AND TOSS WORLD NOW. A LOT OF JUNK BEING SOLD OUT THERE AND HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT IS THE "REAL" GOODS? VERY SAD. GOOD LUCK! I WAS TALKING TO A WOMAN IN SEARS AND SHE WAS WHISPERING TO ME THAT WALMARTS AND SEARS ARE "TALKING" ABOUT A MERGER. ALL THE PERSONNEL ARE WORRIED. WALMARTS IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD.

CEEJAY~ I NEED TO GET MY BEDROOM GOING TOO. SO WHEN YOURS IS FINISHED, YOU CAN RUN ON UP HERE AND BEGIN MINE

MEADOW~ SORRY TO HEAR THE KIDS WERE UPSET. GOOD FOR YOU RAILING FOR THEIR RIGHTS!!
BET THEY GOT AN EARFULL!! I DON'T THINK ANY HUBBY IS GOOD AT THIS STUFF UNLESS THEY ARE THE MR. MOM-TYPES. YOUR SIGGIE REMINDS ME OF THAT QUOTE WHEN I WORE IT IN MINE FOR AWHILE...LONG TIME AGO. IT ALWAYS MADE ME FEEL BETTER.
NICE EXERCISING!! ROASTED CHICK PEAS?

CARLA~ HOPE YOU PLAYED NICE IN THE REAL ESTATE GAME FROM H*LL. WHEN I FIRST PLAYED IT AS A CHILD, I LOVED IT. WHEN I PLAYED WITH ADULTS....WELL YOU CAN GUESS. WOULD RATHER IT WAS SCRABBLE ALSO.

SPENT THE NIGHT WITH THE KIDS. WE HAD SPANISH FOOD OF COURSE AND WATCHED THE WEDDING DATE. NICE ROMANCE WITH DERMOT MULRONEY. RICHIE OF COURSE FELL ASLEEP LEAVING ME AND JEN TIME FOR A GOOD CHIN WAG. BEEN QUIET THIS WEEKEND. SMALL REPAIRS AND NO ALARMS. SHOCKING.
STILL NO WORDS OF WISDOM TODAY FORTHCOMING,
I THINK IT'S ALL THE SINUS MEADS. I'M IN A DAYQUIL COMBO FOG BUT IT'S BETTER THANTHE VERTIGO....SO I AM NOT COMPLAINING!
HAPPY SUNDAY
Old 05-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #47  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning chicks,

Happy Sunday. The sun is shining and it looks like it's going to be a warm one today I am doing a rotation of one day in the house, one day working outside. Yesterday I cleared one of the planting beds of all the weeds and after much discussion with DH, we decided on how to plant the flowers. He's off to get some support dowels for the big tall snapdragons out front and a trellis for the very happy, climbing all over tea rose in the back. Then he will plant the flowers and probably start cleaning the pool area. Always so much to do. I wish I could take a week off right now just to focus on the house.

We went and laid out another wad last night on a new washer - a Sears Kenmore. After 2 hours of research yesterday it was between a Kenmore and Whirlpool. Since Whirlpool makes them both and they are sister models, there were very few differences between them. We wound up with the Kenmore only because the dial on the panel on the Whirlpool seemed a little more chintzy and prone to breakage than the buttons on the Kenmore. We have a king sized bed and queen sized guest beds so we need the extra capacity washer for the bedding. I'm not going to the laundromat just to wash bedding. The new machine comes Tuesday and they are hauling off the old one. Seems like such a waste but in the condition it's in, I wouldn't even offer it to anyone for free.

So while DH is outside getting all sweaty again, I will be doing the cleaining inside today. Just have to get in the habit (both of us) of not messing stuff up once things are clean and tidy.

Mel, the Maytags of today are not what they used to be. We had quite a chat with the salesman yesterday - he was at the same Sears store where I worked in downtown Chicago back in 1971 - how coincidental is that? He said the Sears today is nothing like it used to be. You hit it in the nose with the use and toss philosophy. Gotta get people to buy more - do that by making sure things don't last. Back in the early 70's there was a very popular book - was it Future Shock? - that talked about the consequences of a disposable society. Anyway - hope the sinuses clear up and get better for you. You wouldn't do too well down here. Everyone's snifflin'.

Carla - hope you were able to quickly escape the dinner party. Hate when that happens, always feel bad about just saying sorry but no thanks.

Hi Holly.

Meadow - no froggie floater. Mel would swipe if from me and I'd never get it back Oh your poor kids double crossed like that. Shame on those teachers!

Ceejay - this is the one weekend I would not be down on Beale Street. It's Memphis in May weekend which means lots of crowds and drunks and probably pick pockets too. Not my style. I would love to go down and enjoy the music at Tom Lee park but from what I hear it's a long hike, few "facilities" and I'm afraid I'm too old to do a "Woodstock" type thing again.

Well I'd better get in gear here before I waste the morning away. Have a good Sunday. Hope those missing are enjoying their weekend away.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy--I think that's the reason I've never been to the May festivities in Memphis. Speaking of washers I've had mom's washer which came from Sears since 1998 when mom passed away but she used it several years before that. It's still going strong.

Work started off with a little bump but things are okay now. Retha said there had been a humming noise since the storm this week end. I found the noise and had to call Dale--It was one of the generator alarms blairing. It's been a long time since I had to call him. When I went to call Dale the phone was messed up so I had to call Tim, he said to switch phones. dah why didn't I think of that.

More later.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #49  

It's been one heck of a bad day here. I spent the day in the ER with my neighbour whose husband had hit his head in a bad fall. They discharged him late afternoon against her wishes (no beds available - welcome to Ontario health care), and about an hour ago I heard a commotion in the hall - the ambulance was back and I have a bad feeling about his chances. Very upsetting as they are both lovely people. I may not hear until tomorrow as the son was there this time and I didn't want to intrude, but I'm feeling pretty bummed out.
So that's why I haven't posted my act of contrition for complaining about what turned out to be an absolutely lovely dinner with friends last night. Even the Monopoly was fun.
to you all, and take good care of yourselves and those you love.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #50  
Happy September

CARLA I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE NEIGHBOR. SENDING GOOD WISHES AND HOPE EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT. WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH HOSPITALS HERE AND MUCH TO MUCH IS CALLED SMAE DAY SURGERY. IN AND OUT. INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE RUNNING THE SHOW NOW. AND TO THINK MY MIL WENT BACK TO CANADA TO GET BETTER HSOPITAL CARE
GLAD THE DINNER WENT WELL!!

CEEJAY~ THE OLDER MODELS WERE BUILT BETTER. THEY MAKE THEM LIKE KLEENEX NOW. USE AND TOSS.
BECAUSE YOU WERE CLEANING THE BEDROOM, I DID MY BATHROOM!! LOL

HAPPY~ GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEW WASHER. LAUNDROMATS ARE NOT ANY FUN NOR CHEAP!!!
I CAN JUST IMAGINE THE CROWDS FOR CELEBRATIONS IN THE SOUTH. ALL THAT LOVELY WEATHER AND BLUE SKIES. I CAN ALSO IMAGINE THE SINUS WEATHER THERE! SENDING YOU

I AM OFF. THE BUS IS GOING TO A MALL I DON'T LIKE SO I'M HEADING FOR THE LAUNDRY ROOM. I THOUGHT OF BUNDLING IT UP AND SENDING IT TOHAPPY TO TEST OUT HER NEW WASHER BUT THE POSTAGE WAS TOO MUCH!
HAVE A GREAT DAY AND HOPE THE SUN IS SHINING ON ALL OF YOU.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #51  
Choose your hard

Good morning ladies,

I opened the door this morning to chase off the stupid grackles on the bird feeder and got such a noseful of fresh air. It was delightful! Sometimes - like after a rain or a new mowed lawn, the air just smells soooo good. I love the smell of clothes dried outside on a line but DH won't let me put up a close line.

Weekend is over already. Where did it go?

Sorry to hear about your neighbor Carla. Geez that is awful. Hope he will be ok. I hear that about the socialized medicine. It's good for the minor stuff but boy oh boy if you're really sick... One of my ex-bosses was from Montreal. His mom bought a place in Florida just to use the U.S. health care. I think he said she needed an MRI for a potentially terminal situation and they were making her wait 6 months for the test because they only had 1 MRI in the whole province or something like that. Scary.

Mel you nut - don't even think about sending me your laundry woman - I have enough of my own thank you very much. Happy rub-a-dub-dub to you.

Ceejay - 10 plus years on a washer is doing fantastic. We had a Kenmore set at the old house. It was 8 years old and still doing well. We left it because it was a gas dryer - very common up north and DH noticed quite astutely when we were house hunting down here that it's very rare to find a house that supports a gas dryer. For some reason they are all electric down here.

Well I think I want to take that half day off this afternoon. Work is getting busy and there aren't too many open slots left and I don't want to loose the time off that is due me. I still have quite a bit of the book to read for tomorrow night's book club too. I'm just not good about keeping up with those things yet I hate to give up the club. Anyway - on with the day. Happy Monday peeps. Stay busy and productive.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #52  

Hello every one.
Happy--I see your egglight on I feel the need to take off again just for me this time.

Carla-I'm sure you could call your neighbor to check up on him. I understand about the hospital thing. Mel spoke the truth--Insurance runs things here.

Mel--Want to do the rest of my laundry.

oops laundry--Hosed off the dust mop heads and left them outside to dry.
Need to go bring them in before Iforget again where they are.

Not much going on aound here today. I've noticed that the journals are back
so I might go there to post later this afternoon. Suzanne said they were corrupted. That must have been a huge mess.

The actonel and calcium are giving my digestive system fits. I called my sister last night who is a nurse and she confirmed the smptoms that I've been having are related. She broke her left arm not long ago and has been in pain and sedated. She told me that her husband woke her up every hour to give her the meds. She still has trouble getting up and down but can manage a few things by herself.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #53  

Ceejay, sorry to hear about the drug reaction. Annoying that what's supposed to make us healthier can make us feel so awful.

Happy, usually the health system here is best for serious, urgent problems and not so hot on day to day stuff. I think in this case they just made a stupid mistake in judgement. Sad that it cost a man's life, not that he wasn't on borrowed time anyway with an array of health issues. I did speak briefly to my friend this morning, but am giving her the space she needs now; her family has rallied around to provide support.

I always wondered when Mel joked about firemen, but now I get it. With two emergency calls right next door on the same day, I've seen so many burly young men... Very impressed by how fast they arrive, how kind they are, and how many of them show up. Now if just one guy out of the 4 firemen, 5 police officers, and 3 paramedics who responded each time had been available to lend a hand when we were left to figure out on our own how to get the patient home after the initial visit to ER... Grrrrrr.

Later gaters!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #54  

So Mel, you don't like today's mall? What, no frappucinos?? I think your pollen has made its way up here. I've been sneezing and feeling blah for a couple of days now, and I'm pretty sure it's just spring allergies. All the trees have burst into leaf, as always happens the first week of May, and they've filled the canal (drained in winter). I bought a lightweight deck chair and sat out in the sun for a while with a book and the cat. It was lovely!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #55  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Sheeeeee's baaaaaaack
Hello darlin's. You have been busy without me hey?

I don't have too much time to post too much. Yes I had a nice little spending spree in Cairns. Bought some new gear to take on holiday. Colour scheme this year is Red, Black and White. I might just chuck in the odd green for the days when I get stuck into Happy's garden or Mel's laundry room.

Happy - wonderful to hear of the new job. Is it right out of SAP??, is it Business analysis??? Anyway I guess I will get to hear about it in around 22 days? Who's counting?

Carla - nasty business about the poor neighbour. Seems like the health system is chaotic no matter where you go. Just as bad here. Operate this morning, chuck you out this afternoon. Or even worse as happened to my friend up here - you don't look too good, but we think you will be better off at home. This to a 62yo with a degenerative lung disease and who happened to be suffering from double pneumonia at the time. Forgot to mention, she also lives on her own. It's called caring!!!!

I had a fridge that was near enough 14yo when I gave it to the DS2 for his new place. The fridge and freezer were working okay, but the fridge decided not to cool the stuff properly and the technician was called - $40 call out fee please - oh look at this fridge, it's a dinosaur, we don't have the parts to fix it anymore, you'll have to go buy a new one. It's temp guage has gone, the cooling unit doesn't work, it's u/s - $27.00 service fee please. Incensed, we decided to have a look at it ourselves and lo and behold, what did we find but a loose connection between the fridge and freezer. The fridge is still going strong.

Better go get on with the job in hand. Try to get back later to comment some more.

Oh and by the way - when I mentioned Jersey in June - I meant the Isle of Jersey - you know the one next to Guernsey in the Channel Islands between the coast of France and Britain. Tut - tut. Do you really think I would get everyone to descend on New Jersey for an entire month. Just think what damage we could do with the food in New York and NJ.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #56  
Happy September

WE DID FINALLY GO TO A GOOD MALL. SPENT TOO MUCH MONEY. CAME HOME AND MY EYES ARE ON FIRE. THE ONE WITH THE CYST HAS BEGUN AGAIN. I MIGHT BE GONE A FEW DAYS. I JUST LOOKED IN THE MIRROR TO SEE WHAT ALL THIS "GRITTY FEELING" IS.
HOW IT COULD GET THIS BAD THAT FAST IS BEYOND ME. TALK TO YA SOON TO ALL
PS: I MIGHT FEEL LIKE SH*T BUT I WILL LOOK GOOD WHILE I AM!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #57  

howdy! Had a nice day. Got in 3 hours of gardening. Spent a couple hours on the phone with friends. One not so nice content wise but it felt good to listen and spupport someone i love.
Had a school council meeting tonight. Just finished the report.A meeting here in the morning and then going to a networking luncheon at 11:45, deliver some avon after and home for the kiddies.

HUGS!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #58  
Choose your hard

Morning chicks,

It's gorgeous out there today. I should have gotten up early and gone for a walk. But I was up late frantically trying to finish my book for book club - I will be about 100 pages shy of finishing.

Mel - I'm so sorry to hear that the peepers are acting up again. We will miss your cheery posts but you need to focus on resting and whatever you have to do so that this doesn't hit you 'up side dah head. I felt your sisterness and took the afternoon off and went shopping too. Spent too much also but I have some new work clothes - always a good thing. Get better soon and love to Jen if she's reading this to you.

Shad - red, black and white is always a good choice. Unless it's all black, hot and humid outside Your story about the refrigerator is funny - those do seem to last forever. We have had the same experience - sorry no parts this is too old - with the furnace at the old house. DH kept it running while I freaked every winter that it would break down in the bitterest of nights. Turns out the new one heated and cooled so much better that we should have dumped it long ago. However there is a big difference between appliances and a furnace and air conditioner.

The new job is totally out of SAP. I'll be doing data analysis and producing metrics for monitoring vendor management and adherance to contract agreements. That's a mouthful, eh? I will find out more when I begin training tomorrow. Actually my 7 years as a help desk manager and adherance to SLAs (service level agreements) will come in handry for the job.

Speaking of where to go next - I can probably get the new thread set up June 1 (after all Shad doesn't arrive until late in the night) but I will be busy with company the first week of the next 2 months. Someone else may have to take my place or we find a more generic place to park for the next 2 months.

Carla - so sorry to hear about your neighbor. I assume he did not make it. It's funny to hear you speak of spring just popping it's head when we're just about to turn the corner to summer here. I'm sure Mel and I can send you some extra sinus meds tho getting them over the border can be a trick. Get the extra soft tissues for the nose

Nothing exciting going on in my corner of the world either so I guess I'll go earn my keep for the day. Be good.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #59  

popping in to say hello

Where is suzi and Madcat?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #60  

Hi, Just had an email from Ruth wondering which dates in June work to visit with Shad and Madcat and Carla? in TO. Thinking Carla is out of town tho.
I am free the Monday and Tuesday.
Closed Thread