Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:33 PM   #16  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Good idea Monet!!! I'll call them tomorrow and see if he will give me a script. How bout the meter, do you think insurance will pay for that too?

SUSAN...I'm so sorry about MS BELLE...PLEASE...let us know about her. And your DAD...What happened there? You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

GATOR...did y'all go golfing yesterday? It was sure a beautiful day for it.

COLLEEN...is it spring over there yet? There is still BLACKBERRY WINTER to go through though..we had DOGWOOD WINTER, but I think the blackberrys will have to bloom on their own without any cold weather down here!

KRIS...When I lived in Lexington, I was the Musical Director (and played the organ) for a small Lutheran Church. I moved my membership there since I was there anyway, and I really like their Doctrine. Glad y'all had a good FAMILY DAY!!

TALITHA...What were the Kids doing when you heard the clinking????

WHERE'S SOLLY????

TONI...

Ok, I've got to get off here and get something done!

LATER

BOB
Old 04-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #17  
Addicted to potato salad!

Monet and Bob: You guys have me very...not afraid, but alert...to watching myself. Like I've said before...my dad and his remaining one sister and three brothers ALL have some level of diabetes. And I favor my dad's side of the family. So, I'm glad I have this forewarning to start NOW at 40, watching myself. My dad, well...he used to smoke heavily until he was about 45 or so...had a beer or cocktail or two every single night until he found out he was diabetic. My mom is the queen of processed food preparation...she was commenting on my cooking yesterday being particularly good and 'where did you learn to cook so well....I didn't teach you anything..." And I said, 'well, you taught me how to boil hot dogs and open a can of spaghetti!" And we all laughed...but it's the sad truth, really. My mom used to make canned spaghetti and boiled hot dogs for the whole family for dinner! A lot! Anyhow...I'm pretty sure that lifestyle, along with genetics, has played a large part in my dad's diagnosis of diabetes. So, I'm ultra aware of it for myself and maybe I'll ward it off with knowledge and a low glycemic diet?!

Okay...off to have some leftover ham and some cantaloupe and strawberries for dinner. Derek's off to Vermont and I don't have to 'cook'.

Be back later on!!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #18  

You ladies are reminding me of my own upbringing! When I got married, dh and I did not "cook" anything that did not come in a pack, bag or can! I know, sad, but true! My mom was, and is still a "casserole" type person. Put anything in with some rice or potatoes and a can of cream soup and that's dinner! Actually, my Dad is a better cook than she is. He is not afraid to look up a recipe and make anything, even foreign foods. Bless her heart, my mom will always overcook, undercook, or walk away and burn just about anything. Dh and I now will try recipes, or ad lib and it usually turns out great. I want to buy a couple of those recipe books that you write your family recipes in to hand down or give as a gift, and fill them out for my kids when they leave home someday. I think they would appreciate knowing how I fix some of their favorites! It's funny, my family comments on how good a mother I am, watching what my kids eat and everything. I want to say, do I have a choice? They have a medical condition! They don't seem to get it, ya know?

Tonight we had baked chicken and salads. I also found the ww ravioli at Publix that I had heard Monet talk about, so I put just a little lc breadcrumbs on it and "toasted" them in a touch of olive oil. They were really good!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #19  

We just got in from Spaghetti night. My bg is too high...must have been the noodles. I only ate a little bit of them, but I had lots of salad, and a couple of Italian sausages. The sauce tasted very sweet to me too... I did have a reading under 200 today...so I want to get down there and STAY there.

BOB: The meter is cheap, its the strips that they make the money on. Insurance will pay for it. Ask your doctor. It isn't something that will hurt you and it just may make you more diligent in your diet. You NEED to get some walking in too. Exercise heals the insulin resistance better than anything.

TECH: My mom rarely made anything that was not from scratch! She was an awesome cook...I guess that is where I got my love of cooking from.

THIN: Oh, I am glad you found the pasta! Isn't it good? I love the idea of making a recipe book for your kids. My mom was working on that when she died, and my sister was supposed to finish it for her...she never did. I would so love to have some of those recipes too. Getting them from my sister is like pulling teeth though. You can use one of those nice journal books they sell places like Barnes and Noble. Having the recipes in YOUR handwriting is even more special than typed.

I need to get off here and get in bed! Night!

Old 04-18-2006, 06:49 AM   #20  

Default Ants!!!!

AAAARRGGGHH!! Anyone got a cure for the spring ant invasion? I have those little round orange ant things around where they're supposed to step in poison and then bring it back to the queen, but I don't think it's working....it's been since Saturday. Every now and then I go out to my kitchen and if I've left one single thing on the counter, the darn things are all over it. I feel like I'm living in squalor!!
Old 04-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Bob I'm here.

I started a post yesterday morning, then my day turned wild. I didn't have one free second. I ate my sandwich standing up tabulating bids. We got new cell phones and I had to deal with all that yesterday too. We are putting on a golf tournament for a local charity in June and the work on that is starting to mount. Crazy day.

Our Easter was nice. It was the first time our family had been together since Christmas so it was fun seeing everyone and all the kiddies. Eating was good, not 100% perfect, but sensible.

The MM had me down 3 pounds yesterday and today.

Monet, we are here for you any and all times and very happy to do so. We all need each other to get through the dieting and life situations. We appreciate all you do for us keeping this board going. I love the format of the challenges this week. trying to motivate us huh? Thanks for the update on Fillise. Don't worry about the scale. You have to handle your blood sugar and your eating has been good, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Talitha, you are doing so good with your wt during this pregnancy. I wish someonme would spring clean my house.

Tech. Glad you had such a nice Easter. Back on track today though. Yes you should keep on eye on yourself if diabetes runs in your family. I always have the ant problem in the spring. I spray my counter with windex and it seems to help. They get in my diswasher and everything. I hate them.

Susan, I hate to hear your dad is back in the hospital. And poor Miss Belle. I sure hope it is not the renal failure. Sending prayers your way. Please keep us posted. Drop in to say Hi when you get a minute. We miss you.

Toni, what kind of pot did you get of herbs and what kind? I have been wanting to plant some herbs, but have no where to plant them in the yard. Didn't know how big of a pot to get or how big they actually grow. Guess you will have to get another puppy to keep Jackson company.

Teensy, I agree that those Monday work outs are tough. But good for you going and getting it over with. Enjoy your walk today.

Gator, I was interested in your "trying to stop eating when satisfied" That is my biggest problem. I think I have to eat it all no matter if I am full or not. I think I have the portion sizes down, but can't seem to overcome that obstacle of cleaning my plate.

Bob, glad to see you are back on track. I agree with Moent, get a meter. I worry about you.

Thin, I think the recipe book is a great idea.

Got to run. Have a great day.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #22  

Good morning! I just got in from an almost two mile walk. The weather is absolutely perfect to walk in...brisk breeze, sunny, and nice cool temps. I wish it were like this year round.

I am going to school early today to help watch the lower grades. One of the school families lost their dad last Friday. The two kids, in second and fifth grade are two of my favorite students. They seem to be doing very well, and went to school yesterday by choice. Their dad had a massive heart attack, so it was very sudden. Anyway, the funeral is today, and the teachers are going. I will sit in for the first grade teacher, and not be teaching my fifth grade art class.

I slept like a rock last night. Boy, it felt good. Unfortunately, Tom woke me up this morning when he left to kiss me goodbye. I could have slept another couple hours. It feels really good to actually SLEEP. I had no idea all the things that tie in with blood sugar levels! The improvement in my vision is unbelievable.

BOB: Even if insurance doesn't cover it, get a meter. I am seriously considering a different one, and if I get it, I will send you mine. However, I would much rather you GET one NOW. You can always find ones with rebates. In fact, the one I want has a rebate that totally covers the cost. PM me if you want more details. The only thing you are going to have to pay for is the strips, so if your doctor will give you a prescription for it, insurance will cover it. You won't need many. Just enough to test maybe once a week to make sure they are somewhat stable.

TECH: I have used Windex on ants too! They are a pain. If you can find where they are coming in, it will help. I have found that spraying around the base of the house can help. I am messy, and sometimes it just seems hopeless!

SOLLY: I am sorry you were having a wild day yesterday. I am glad that was all it was. I was worried... I am trying to concentrate on the blood glucose stuff, but the scale was a BIG disappointment. I really needed SOMETHING encouraging....

Ok, I am off, but only slightly and you all have known that for years...

Old 04-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #23  

Monet: I'm so glad so many things are improving with you. I think its in the sugar busters book where they come really close to calling sugar toxic and its stories like yours that prove that point. It really has no redeeming value except to make things taste good. That's it.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #24  

Hi all,
I went swim suit shopping yesterday and it was so depressing that I followed up today with a burger on white bun and french fries. See I know exactly why I did that but didn't have the intestinal fortitude to resist. Which is very stupid because I'm sure I would have been just as satisfied with a taco salad from Wendy's without the chips.
Thankfully I have a chance to improve with the next meal which will be homemade sausage patties with ground turkey, scrambled eggs, ww french toast and a large fruit salad nsa. Tomorrow I will concentrate on a boat load of veggies.
Glad you are better Monet. These types of experiences make us look at life differently.
KayeC
Old 04-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #25  

Wow can't believe I'm not getting on till this late. But my day has been crazy. Did get a couple loads of wash done today. But had to babysit my friends puppy while she went and got a permanent. Geez it would easier to babysit a baby. My guy Jackson was to big and rough to play with such a bitty little thing (miniature weeny dog) so I had to either hold the puppy or put it in the cage where it cried. I was happy to see the little one go.. Eating has been okay. I had to much bread today. And tonight we're going to just have scrambled eggs. DH's choice. Its hot hot hot here. Oh yea Solly my herbs my niece grew me are basil, oregano, chives, cilantro. I have an old sink outside I put my herbs in. Well have to run. Have a great evening.......
Old 04-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #26  

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!

So busy today that I didn't get a chance to call my DOC about the script. I've left myself a note to do it first thing before it gets crazy!

SOLLY...AWE...Thanks for worrying about me...it fills my heart to know you care! BUT...that's what "BUSTIN" SISTERS are for...huh GIRLFRIEND???
I'm sure it's getting really crazy up your way by now..when does the FESTIVAL start? When is THUNDER? I can't wait for the DERBY...MY boy"BOBBY BAFFORD has a horse in it...won the BLUEGRASS last week! They talked to him before the race and OH MY GAWD...HE'S HAD A FACE LIFT!!! I liked the rugged look..with all that white hair!!! Are y'all going to THE OAKS?

KAYE...I haven't had my WHALE SKIN COVER on in so many years, it's probably dry rotted! IF....I ever do get up to SPA MONET, I'll have to get a new one too!!!

KRIS...My Mom (KATE) didn't teach me to cook either. I learned by standing on a chair in my GM's kitchen. She cooked nothing that wasn't fried in a black skillet (except meatloaf and meat pies) and totally SOUTHERN...That's what's wrong with me now. I didn't know anything else and ate like that until I had my stomach stapled and could no longer eat fried food. THEN...when PHEN FEN was the rage, my GYN (who was also my medical doc) put me on them and took me completely off processed foods. Nothing from a box, nothing frozen and I lost 75lbs from Feb to May 18th. Fresh is the best and it works..That's why I love grilled chicken so much...I lived on it and didn't eat red meat for two years. BUT MAN WHEN I GOT THAT FIRST TASTE of the RED MEAT again, it was all down hill from there! I'm a bread a-holic and adicted to cheese of any kind...we really should only eat whites cheeses...not yellow...

HOW MANY OF YOU KNOW THAT REAL CHEESE IS WHITE AND NOT YELLOW?? The yellow is from dyes...

OK..I'll be back a little later to catch up with the rest of you...time to fix supper!

BOB
Old 04-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #27  

OH...I ALMOST FORGOT!!

I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds so simple!

"OMELETS IN A BAG"

Have you ever heard of this? (This works great!
Good for when all your family is together and no one
has to wait for their special omelet.)

Have guests write their name on a
quart-size freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag
(not more than 2) shake to combine them .

Put out a variety of ingredients such as:
cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato,
hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice
to their bag and shake, Make sure to get the
air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for
exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook
6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make
another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out
easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake;
everyone gets involved in the process and a
great conversation piece.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #28  

I am back from school and my meeting. I have had dinner (ham and asparagus) and now am taking a few minutes to chill before I have to go check laundry, then make Tom's smoothies, and then I have to head out to a store to pick up some masking tape for school tomorrow.

I am kind of tired. I think I ate too much ham at dinner. It was so yummy! I bought a fully cooked semi boneless Publix brand ham, wrapped it in foil and put it in the crockpot on high for six hours. It turned out so tender, it was just delish!

I will hopefully be back in a bit!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Thought I better get here before it gets crazy here.

My exercise has been strange this week, Monday, DH & DD were too tired to go to the gym, so after dinner I got on the and did some wts in the basement while I watched my soap opera. Then last night we had to go to the funeral home, so afterwards we walked for 3 miles. Tonight I have bunco so I will have to hit the at home or walk before hand. Hopefully tomorrow night we can get to the gym. I'm glad Lent is over and I don't have to do pies on Thursday's anymore.

bf: protein shake
lunch: homemade taco salad with homemade chips.
dinner: ?? eat at bunco

Monet, I'm so glad you are sleeping again. I added back one of my meds and I am sleeping better and feeling better. Now if they would just help my feet. It is amazing how soemthing alike blood sugar affects so many things. hang in there, this will get better. How sad for those poor children. They will need a lot of love and hugs. I have never cooked a ham in the crockpot, but I do cook my turkey in there.

KayeC, funny how clothes/swim suits not fitting make us eat. How crazy are we? I have done the same thing, it's like we delibertly try to sabatoge ourselves. Get right back on track today and maybe add some exercise to counteract those fries.

Toni, so all the herbs are in the same container? i may get a large pot or soemthing and try it. I got a good laugh out of the puppy story.

Bob, Thunder is this Sat. It is such a crazy time. Derby week is such a blur. We go to the track for lunch on Wed or Thur then Thursday night we attend a big fund raiser party, Friday oaks, Friday night another party, then Derby on Sat. I'm thinking of cutting out the Derby this year. It's too much for me. Call the Doc today! Cool omlett trick. Might have to try that. Cause I sure can't make omletts in a skillet.

Got to run. Have a great day everyone
Old 04-19-2006, 12:34 PM   #30  

Good Morning ladies--

Missed yesterday as I spent all day in town looking at carpets and flooring. Wow, it was very overwhelming, to say the least!! So many varieties. What to do, what to do?? I found a couple carpets that I liked, until I got the samples home and layed them next to the walls. One was way too much of the same colors in the room. One was way too plain, and the other I really like, but it is very expensive!! Doesn't that just figure!! I will go again on Friday when I take my Mom back to the Dr office.

The sun is shining and we are supposed to get up to 65 today. I am getting ready to go work in the yard. I will start with some raking, and then when it gets a bit warmer I am going to start weeding for flower beds. I need to get some peat moss and steer manure to mix into my soil this year. It has been awhile, and needs to be done.

Monet-- I am very sorry to hear that you were at such a critical point. Please take care of yourself. It is nice to hear that you are feeling better and getting a handle on things. Keep up the good work!!

BOB-- Sun is shining today, and supposed to be at 65 degrees!! I am putting on my work clothes and hitting the yard work as soon as I get off this board!!

Solly-- Wow, sounds like you are in for a long week. Glad that your Easter was an enjoyable one. We were home alone, and spent a very quiet day. I fixed dh his Easter ham, and that was about it!!

Hello, Thin, Tech and KayeC. Hope you are all having a super week!!!

Well, I am off.......see you all later.
Closed Thread